• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Don't want to revive the artstyle flamewar or whatever happened earlier but what other common links are there between Cloud, Bayonetta and Shulk outside the kind of realistic artstyle? Is it that their humanoids (that wield weapons...? That feels like a huge stretch lol)? I'm not sure I understand if what he's saying is pointing towards anything or not. Am I missing a really obvious trait that all of them share?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Pretty sure it was a Bill Trinen interview, so no translation errors... :p

Edit: I say before realizing I was reading an old page.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'll admit that the first Xenoblade was really good, but X and 2 are nowhere near as good as people claim they are. Everyone keeps ignoring how godawful the characters, voice acting, and most of the music was in those games.

Seriously, gather around and listen to this garbage from X. This is the night theme of a futuristic city called New Los Angeles. Imagine what you think something like that would sound like, then give this a listen:

Everyone already liked Crash and Spyro, and their most recent games are remakes of what made them both popular in the first place. They're good characters, but apparently everyone aside from the original team is too incompetent to make another successful game with them.

I'm not even gonna touch Overwatch with a ten-foot pole, especially since a lot of people here will defend it to the death.
Yeah, speaking as a fan of XC, I really hated X.
It really feels just as soulless as any other MMORPG, but singleplayer.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
A bit of a tangent, but... A lot of SNES and N64 era characters aren't known by kids and new gamers.
For example, Geno hasn't appeared in 22 years, meaning his last appearance was before I was even born. And I'm a legal adult.
My first Nintendo console was the Gamecube, so I've had little exposure to a bunch of exclusively SNES and N64 era characters. I haven't even played SMRPG, so all that I've seen of Geno is from watching a chuggaaconroy Let's Play of it some years ago.
Similarly, I haven't seen King K. Rool with my own eyes since all I've played is a GBA port of Donkey Kong Country 2 and it was too difficult for me to get even get out of World 2 as a kid.

So until those characters return in a new remake or new title then they're not going to be known by any casual under 18 unless they're really into Nintendo and delved into their back catalog.

I don't think this will have an impact on the roster, though. If hardcore & veteran Nintendo fans and/or Sakurai want them enough then they'll get in. This is a celebration of Nintendo's history, not of the latest hot titles and characters that the latest generation of casuals like.
And don't get me wrong. I'd personally love to see King K. Rool and Geno in Smash and they're both in my top 10 most wanted characters right now. I haven't played their games but I love their design, see their moveset potential and understand why they're so popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's stat balancing is worse, as a lot of the vehicle parts in that game are useless to even be touching. Compare that to the original Mario Kart 8, where almost every vehicle part was viable to utilize.
I actually haven't paid close attention to vehicle stats since MK7. I just default to Toad and whatever combination looks the coolest. Kind of weird that they'd change the balancing so drastically though.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'll admit that the first Xenoblade was really good, but X and 2 are nowhere near as good as people claim they are. Everyone keeps ignoring how godawful the characters, voice acting, and most of the music was in those games.

Seriously, gather around and listen to this garbage from X. This is the night theme of a futuristic city called New Los Angeles. Imagine what you think something like that would sound like, then give this a listen:

Everyone already liked Crash and Spyro, and their most recent games are remakes of what made them both popular in the first place. They're good characters, but apparently everyone aside from the original team is too incompetent to make another successful game with them. Of course if you rerelease successful games that haven't evolved for years, slap some shiny new graphics on them, and stick them on store shelves, people will buy it.

I'm not even gonna touch Overwatch with a ten-foot pole, especially since a lot of people here will probably defend it to the death. Nobody wants to accept the fact that Blizzard made a flawed game.
okay but then listen to:

The soundtrack is mostly great but gets hated on because of that theme and the battle theme

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Reading the tweet.

“uh, the Xenoblade characters...”
View attachment 153717

NO!
Stop this! No way they accidentally confirmed another Xenoblade Character! PLEASE! Elma! PLEASE SHE HAS TO BE CONFIRMED!

Murlough Murlough , see we did get a reveal after all. :troll:
I thought that was a given, though. :lol: You got me I 'spose.

To answer your earlier question, I expect us to get more solid information and reveals and w/e more towards the middle of Fall. Its mostly just a hunch, honestly.

To Pyra Pyra and the general thread:

When they said "closer to December" they didn't say "who knows" or "later" they said "closer to December."

Could we interpret that as "at any point after this very minute, because thats closer to December!" Sure. Absolutely. We could do that. Or we could seriously think about the choice of words used and not interpret things the way we want to interpret them just because we want stuff now.

No, "any minute after when they said that line" is not the "more likely" thing they meant. We have no reason to assume they meant anything other than "closer to Decemb-" holy **** I sound like a broken record......whatever you get where I'm coming from.

Could we get a reveal tomorrow? Yeah, sure, a legit leak could happen at any time. Maybe this'll be one of Sakurai's "famous troll moments" or whateva and he just drops the whole cast on the 22nd. Until I'm given a reason to think otherwise I'm gonna keep patiently waiting til mid-Fall, though.

Once again, I'm not trying to tell anybody how or what they should think, I don't know why people get that impression still tbh, when I come in and ask a question like "why are we still thinking a reveal will happen soon?" I'm actually curious as to why people are doing that. It is a genuine question.

AND I DEMAND A SATISFYING ANSWER!

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I thought that was a given, though. :lol: You got me I spose.

To answer your earlier question, I expect us to get more solid information and reveals and w/e more towards the middle of Fall. Its mostly just a hunch.

To Pyra Pyra and the general thread:

When they said "closer to December" they didn't say "who knows" or "later" they said "closer to December."

Could we interpret that as "at any point after this very minute, because thats closer to December!" Sure. Absolutely. We could do that. Or we could seriously think about the choice of words used and not interpret things the way we want to interpret them just because we want stuff now.

No, "any minute after when they said that line" is not the "more likely" thing they meant. We have no reason to assume they meant anything other than "closer to Decemb-" holy **** I sound like a broken record......whatever you get where I'm coming from.

Could we get a reveal tomorrow? Yeah, sure, a legit leak could happen at any time. Maybe this'll be one of Sakurai's "famous troll moments" or whateva and he just drops the whole cast on the 22nd. Until I'm given a reason to think otherwise I'm gonna keep patiently waiting til mid-Fall, though.

Once again, I'm not trying to tell anybody how or what they should think, I don't know why people get that impression still tbh, when I come in and ask a question like "why are we still thinking a reveal will happen soon?" I'm actually curious as to why people are doing that. It is a genuine question.

AND I DEMAND A SATISFYING ANSWER!
Don't worry, my dude, I have a link to your post saved in a notepad file for the when the next newcomer news comes out so I can either congratulate you or laugh at you.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Everyone already liked Crash and Spyro, and their most recent games are remakes of what made them both popular in the first place. They're good characters, but apparently everyone aside from the original team is too incompetent to make another successful game with them. Of course if you rerelease successful games that haven't evolved for years, slap some shiny new graphics on them, and stick them on store shelves, people will buy it.

I'm not even gonna touch Overwatch with a ten-foot pole, especially since a lot of people here will defend it to the death.
I've never played a Xenoblade game, but I really like that song.

D

Deleted member

The soundtrack is mostly great but gets hated on because of that theme and the battle theme
I'm not a fan of New L.A. (Night), but I actually kind of like Black Tar. The corniness of the lyrics scores some major points for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
A bit of a tangent, but... A lot of SNES and N64 era characters aren't known by kids and new gamers.
For example, Geno hasn't appeared in 22 years, meaning his last appearance was before I was even born. And I'm a legal adult.
My first Nintendo console was the Gamecube, so I've had little exposure to a bunch of exclusively SNES and N64 era characters. I haven't even played SMRPG, so all that I've seen of Geno is from watching a chuggaaconroy Let's Play of it some years ago.
Similarly, I haven't seen King K. Rool with my own eyes since all I've played is a GBA port of Donkey Kong Country 2 and it was too difficult for me to get even get out of World 2 as a kid.

So until those characters return in a new remake or new title then they're not going to be known by any casual under 18 unless they're really into Nintendo and delved into their back catalog.

I don't think this will have an impact on the roster, though. If hardcore & veteran Nintendo fans and/or Sakurai want them enough then they'll get in. This is a celebration of Nintendo's history, not of the latest hot titles and characters that the latest generation of casuals like.
And don't get me wrong. I'd personally love to see King K. Rool and Geno in Smash and they're both in my top 10 most wanted characters right now. I haven't played their games but I love their design, see their moveset potential and understand why they're so popular.
Are you trying to convince me that Geno and K. Rool really need to be in Smash because that's what it seems like? Dang kids need something to teach em what's what. ALSO THEY NEED TO GET OFF MY DANG LAWN! BLASTED WHIPPERSNAPPERS!

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Don't want to revive the artstyle flamewar or whatever happened earlier but what other common links are there between Cloud, Bayonetta and Shulk outside the kind of realistic artstyle? Is it that their humanoids (that wield weapons...? That feels like a huge stretch lol)? I'm not sure I understand if what he's saying is pointing towards anything or not. Am I missing a really obvious trait that all of them share?
Games geared towards older audiences I'd guess. More mature character development and stories, etc.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm not a fan of New L.A. (Night), but I actually kind of like Black Tar. The corniness of the lyrics scores some major points for me.
Agreed, I understand why people may not like it but black tar slaps imo, corny rapping aside the instrumental and the japanese vocals are great anyway

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Look at me. I plaster my profile with a cute cartoon reptile and show my love and devotion to him 24/7.

And yet Xenoblade is one of my favorite game series and have no problems with realistic characters in Smash...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I'm not even gonna touch Overwatch with a ten-foot pole, especially since a lot of people here will probably defend it to the death. Nobody wants to accept the fact that Blizzard made a flawed game.
Haven't played X but saying the music in 2 is bad is complete bs.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
If you go back and watch the interview in question, he's talking about how old school Melee fans prefer the old veteran characters, but that new fans instead gravitate to the newer additions to the roster. I don't have the full interview in front of me (don't even know what question he was asked to prompt this response) but it sounds like he's explaining how bringing back everyone was important because there are fans of every character.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
New Topics to get off these opinion wars:

Possible new Assist Trophies

Possible new Stages

Who likely performed well in the ballot and how are their chances for Ultimate?

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

My brother is 14, and he really wants King K. Rool. Mainly becasue of me, but I managed to convert him to a full knowledge of who K. Rool is, and why he would be considered important in the history of Nintendo, being Donkey Kong's biggest villain and all.

Also, that sly kid predicted Ryu, and I told him that it was not most likely. Oh how wrong I was (and that's good), because of he getting Ryu, he really hopes that his ol' bro gets his wish for Smash too. I think that's sweet of him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wambo Wambo

If I can be frank for a second.

It seems like you're just lashing out at new things and idolizing the old. Your criticisms seem more personal than objective and you come off like you take offense to anything that isn't the golden oldies.

Like, most people like both. You aren't gonna earn many fans or supporters that way.

I want K.Rool a lot because I like DKC. I also want Elma a lot (maybe a little more) because I like Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I feel like that concept is baffling to you because you're insulting Xenoblade X every chance you get and tried to prove it was awful (in a hilarious backfire I might add, and I agree that Night New LA is bleck).

You are making lines where there don't need to be lines and are just coming off as insecure about your likes, dude.

Roberk

Smash Champion
We were told to drop the previous topic, but I guess this is a new one. Now, allow me.

"Ahem"

Boi

Boi

Boi

Boi

Boi

And many more.

Wambo

Smash Ace
....I actually really love that piece of music so...
You say "piece" as if it's a masterpiece. In which case, I feel pretty confident in the fact that nobody will attack me if I say, "you have **** taste in music."

You have **** taste in music.
I’m going to be honest with you but Xenoblade X and 2 are still pretty good games.

X seems to have a more emphasis on exploring, so the characters and story aren’t the main focus. It’s all about defeating enemies, exploring the world around you, and doing quests which is what makes it enjoyable. It’s also a perfect game to play on the go on the Switch with it’s single player which is why I want a Switch port of it.

But don’t diss Xenoblade 1, that game is a god like of a masterpiece. I can’t find a single reason for disliking 1 if you played it, and even though it’s on the Wii, all the characters have realistic emotions and feel like real characters, and the story is one of the best, almost like your playing the perfect video game adaptation of a novel.
I'm going to keep ****ting on X, because honestly, it's my favorite of the two to **** on. It genuinely deserves the criticism.

Don't even come at me with that "the characters and story aren't the main focus" bull. EVERYTHING ABOUT A GAME SHOULD BE THE MAIN FOCUS. The fact that you think this is actual good game design really makes me question why I'm replying to you in the first place. If certain aspects of a game aren't good, then you have half a good game, except Xenoblade X isn't even that. There is no "more emphasis on _____ and _____", that's just a horrible excuse for having plain bad or underdeveloped features.

Oh yeah, grinding enemies is always awesome in every game. I especially love hanging around the same area in a game with more emphasis on exploration instead of actually exploring. Speaking of exploring, I love finding nothing special in the areas I explore, except some crystals that are meant to represent items and things I need a story cut-scene to interact with. Quests are also good, especially the ones that involve MORE GRINDING. Very enjoyable, indeed.

And I didn't even diss Xenoblade 1? I think I just said I hate people with generic anime designs, but made sure to come back and state that I actually liked Xenoblade 1.

Noipoi

Howdy!
New Topics to get off these opinion wars:

Possible new Assist Trophies

Possible new Stages

Who likely performed well in the ballot and how are their chances for Ultimate?
Assist Trophy: Tyrannosaurus Rex from Mario Odyssey
Rushes back and forth across the stage, biting anything in its path.

New Stages: Ultra Space
Starts in Aether Paradise with a standard platform formation, but an Ultra Wormhole opens and takes the stage across different Ultra Space dimensions, with different stage formations depending on the Ultra dimension.

Ballot: Obviously she wasn't the most popular, but I really feel like Ashley did well enough in the ballot.
Clearly other characters like K Rool and Geno did better, and veterans like Snake and Ice Climbers got a lot of votes.
But i'm of the non-biased opinion that she did decently.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Fanservice I guess.

All of them are characters that were added thanks to big popularity.

Cloud, he was the most popular FF character according to Sakurai.
He was basically a meme before his inclusion, a character that would never happen, no matter how popular he is.

Bayonetta, "ballot winner"... yeah.

Shulk, one of the most wanted characters during Smash 4's speculation from a very niche, but loved game.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
My brother is 14, and he really wants King K. Rool. Mainly becasue of me, but I managed to convert him to a full knowledge of who K. Rool is, and why he would be considered important in the history of Nintendo, being Donkey Kong's biggest villain and all.

Also, that sly kid predicted Ryu, and I told him that it was not most likely. Oh how wrong I was (and that's good), because of he getting Ryu, he really hopes that his ol' bro gets his wish for Smash too. I think that's sweet of him.
Yesss, keep spreading the King K. Rool gospel!

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
DK and Yoshi should get at least one AT each as they are the 2 remaining OG series to not have one yet.

So Rambi and Poochy
Poochy is such a great idea for an assist trophy that I don't know how it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully the recent Poochy popularity from games like Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World will be enough to get an AT in.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Of all the songs you guys have posted that one is legit my favorite, lol. That is one jazzy guitar lick.
Yeah I'll give it that.

I think the chanting at the beginning ruins it for me though.

You say "piece" as if it's a masterpiece. In which case, I feel pretty confident in the fact that nobody will attack me if I say, "you have **** taste in music."

I'm going to keep ****ting on X, because honestly, it's my favorite of the two to **** on. It genuinely deserves the criticism.

Don't even come at me with that "the characters and story aren't the main focus" bull. EVERYTHING ABOUT A GAME SHOULD BE THE MAIN FOCUS. The fact that you think this is actual good game design really makes me question why I'm replying to you in the first place. If certain aspects of a game aren't good, then you have half a good game, except Xenoblade X isn't even that. There is no "more emphasis on _____ and _____", that's just a horrible excuse for having plain bad or underdeveloped features.

Oh yeah, grinding enemies is always awesome in every game. I especially love hanging around the same area in a game with more emphasis on exploration instead of actually exploring. Speaking of exploring, I love finding nothing special in the areas I explore, except some crystals that are meant to represent items and things I need a story cut-scene to interact with. Quests are also good, especially the ones that involve MORE GRINDING. Very enjoyable, indeed.

And I didn't even diss Xenoblade 1? I think I just said I hate people with generic anime designs, but made sure to come back and state that I actually liked Xenoblade 1.
See this is exactly what I meant man, calm down.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Way I see it, it’d be Elma, Rex & Pyra, and Addam & Mythra (R&P semi-echo, taking the Torna DLC into consideration)

and if a miracle happens, Fiora...the more I think about it the more I find it suspicious that for a Final Smash cameo, her model is practically the same quality detail-wise...wishful thinking on my part I know...
Might not be enough wishful thinking

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I hope at least one of Daisy’s alts references her original tanner skin, does anyone else share the sentiment?

I don’t know if it’s cause I was spoiled by Skullgirls, but does anyone else find the alts for human characters consistently lacking because they refuse to touch skintones? Heck they’re on edge if they so much as change their hair color.

It’s just after suffering through even one 8 player Palutena match where like all have the same long green hair/white skin/similarly colored garb I think Smash needs a little more effort put into visual distinctions between recolor alts.

Heck, does anyone else find it weird that all 8 villager skins have the same skin tone still, even after they released AC mobile that lets you have EXACTLY 8 different skin tones to choose from???
D122FA75-1A36-4B62-9EB9-42AAFEEB97C4.png
I don’t want to get into a diversity argument but isn’t that just pure wasted potential for visual clarity and variety?? Why is Ganondorf the only character to change skin tones in alts when seeing characters in some matches has been such a problem they added outlines in the 3DS version?

The Inkling being shown off and actually doing this with skin tones made me really happy but it also made me go “hey wait a minute why isn’t this the normal?? I just want visual clarity!”

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
The cut character I am most excited for returning is Young Link.
The cut character I am 2nd most excited for returning is Pichu.
The cut character I am 3rd most excited for returning is Wolf.
That is all.

D

Deleted member

I hope at least one of Daisy’s alts references her original tanner skin, does anyone else share the sentiment?
I'm 100% with you here. They should go the extra mile though, and also give Daisy her 3rd eye when you pick that color.

Roberk

Smash Champion

Actually, people will respond to you with that statement. You just stated that someone's opinion on an artform (which is very personal) is "****" as if it is objective. It's pretty obvious that I didn't grow up in the 60's-80's, but I love Classic Rock. Am I going to diss other people for liking the pop songs that are churned out every week on the radio that I personally don't care for and sometimes don't like/find bad? No, of course not, because taste is subjective and if that's their favorite type of music to listen too then by God jam out to it all day for all I care (just use headphones).

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

I don’t know if it’s cause I was spoiled by Skullgirls, but does anyone else find the alts for human characters consistently lacking because they refuse to touch skintones? Heck they’re on edge if they so much as change their hair color.

It’s just after suffering through even one 8 player Palutena match where like all have the same long green hair/white skin/similarly colored garb I think Smash needs a little more effort put into visual distinctions between recolor alts.

Heck, does anyone else find it weird that all 8 villager skins have the same skin tone still, even after they released AC mobile that lets you have EXACTLY 8 different skin tones to choose from???
I don’t want to get into a diversity argument but isn’t that just pure wasted potential for visual clarity and variety?? Why is Ganondorf the only character to change skin tones in alts when seeing characters in some matches has been such a problem they added outlines in the 3DS version?

The Inkling being shown off and actually doing this with skin tones made me really happy but it also made me go “hey wait a minute why isn’t this the normal?? I just want visual clarity!”
For me, I consider hair and skin color integral to a character's identity. I don't really like any of Lucina's alts, for example, because once you change the hair she's not really Lucina anymore, imo. It's different for characters like Robin or Inkling where the whole point is that they don't have a defined, canon look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom