• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Here's an idea.

Give your reason for wanting your most most wanted character
Don't try to sell me on the character, just give a brief explanation on why they're important to you and why you want them.

As a (amateur ) character designer, Ashley's solid design immediately stood out to me when I saw her in Smash 4.
I started to really like her when I figured out who she was and where she came from, her lonely nature and want for friendship really struck a chord with me at the time as I was a pretty lonely guy. I would love it if a character I connected with made it into one of my favorite games of all time.
The character I want the most is professor Layton, I actually first heard about the series through the character support thread for Layton during the days of smash 4 speculation. I didn’t know anything about the series, but I really enjoyed the people in that thread, they were enthusiastic for their character yet extremely polite as well.

Because of that support thread, I bought a used copy of curious village and immediately fell in love with the game. The atmosphere and music was charming and comfy, the puzzles were legitimately engaging ( the puzzles really helped my critical thinking and math abilities, which was a godsend for me in 9th grade math at the time), and loved the wacky plot and characters.

I especially liked the protagonist, Professor Layton, who I actually try emulate aspects in real life. I’ve always been one to value politeness and kindness, and Layton showed me how you can still exemplify these traits while still being in control and competent. Professor Layton became my first cosplay I ever did, and now I’ve done multiples at different conventions.

The Professor Layton series is one of my favorite game franchises ever, I would love for Layton to get into smash to join the rest of my favorite gaming franchise characters and potentially expose more people to the great series.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Here's an idea.

Don't try to sell me on the character, just give a explanation on why they're important to you and why you want them.

As a (amateur) character designer, Ashley's solid design immediately stood out to me when I saw her in Smash 4.
I started to really like her when I figured out who she was and where she came from, her lonely nature and want for friendship really struck a chord with me at the time as I was a pretty lonely guy myself. I also think she'd be fun to play with great moveset potential and I would love it if a character I connected with made it into one of my favorite games of all time.
Gonna roll with my boy Kyo.

I first played KoF last year and immediately fell in love with the series. There's some immediate similarities between Smash and KoF - I'd compare Smash's movement to a cross between Kirby Super Star and KoF, and while I don't know if KoF is an actual influence on Smash, if it is, then having Kyo would be a neat nod to Smash's roots - and it'd be awesome to see him and Ryu in the same game for the first time since SvC Chaos

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Here's an idea.

Don't try to sell me on the character, just give a explanation on why they're important to you and why you want them.

As a (amateur) character designer, Ashley's solid design immediately stood out to me when I saw her in Smash 4.
I started to really like her when I figured out who she was and where she came from, her lonely nature and want for friendship really struck a chord with me at the time as I was a pretty lonely guy myself. I also think she'd be fun to play with great moveset potential and I would love it if a character I connected with made it into one of my favorite games of all time.
Can I do two? I'm doing two. My favorites are tied.

1. Ray from custom robo. I've always loved custom robo since the GameCube and want more people to be exposed to it. It's legitimately great and only a lack of marketing killed it. I also hope a smash appearance could lead to a revival of the series. Aside from that I think he has unlimited moveset potential. There are hundreds upon hundreds of weapons in custom robo and they all do vastly different things, so it's fun to imagine which ones could be in a movesets.

2. Joker from persona 5
Persona 5 is legitimately by far my all time favorite video game bar none. I mainly want him in because of that, but also so we could get persona 5 songs in smash as that game has one of my all time favorite sound tracks.

I'd do Geno, the third and last one tied for first, but I just love the character and there's not much more to say.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It's still too early to make any good predictions about Palutena in Ultimate, but it's been suggested before that she could be stronger as compensation for not having those overpowered customs.
Now I was obviously joking because who knows what crazy buffs she'll get, but her customs weren't overpowered in 4. She was decent with them as in like mid tier and was a very strong candidate for the worst character in the game without them. Her moveset just seems so fundamentally horrible to me; almost all of her normals are just plain bad which is a really bad starting point for a character. There's no way the main dev team doesn't realize just how dysfunctional that moveset is so maybe they've tweaked almost all of her moves to basically be new moves so I guess we'll see, but I'd just keep in mind she could get very, very large buffs and still be one of the worst characters. She's starting from that bad of a place, and there's really nothing in the new system mechanics that should do anything but further work against her.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, so Kazuya from Shin Megami Tensei.
He's got a SORD and a GUN and he can summon DEMONS and THAT'S COOL, YO

... okay, real answer.
He's my idea of the perfect antithesis from a regular JRPG protagonist.
Medieval times? how about modern day post apocalypse?
Chosen one? How about a guy living with his mom?
Stopping the apocalypse? How about failing that and living past it?
Having magic? How about getting your powers from a computer program?
A group of loving friends to support you? How about broken people, turned to ideological extremes willing to kill?
A party of friends with their own specific roles? How about murderous demons you have to talk into joining you?
An ending achieved where everyone's happy? How about 3 depressing endings with 1 slightly less bad ending than the rest?

Plus, he just has this cool retro-scifi cyperpunk look I really dig
View attachment 153737
Oh yeah and I also want to get an actual SMT x FE and not the... thing, we got instead.
Never had I known such disappointment had I did then.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I've been thinking... what if Waluigi wasn't snubbed, but instead, Falcon crippled him as he did Chrom? Here's my piece of evidence to support this theory (ignore the rest after it happens (or don't, I don't know how to crop specific parts of the video, just how to start it at a certain time)).
Maybe they shouldn't put Douglas in charge of testing the potential newcomers.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
New Topics to get off these opinion wars:

Possible new Assist Trophies

Possible new Stages

Who likely performed well in the ballot and how are their chances for Ultimate?
King K. Rool most likely did extremely well, I heard Shantae, and Ashley was pretty popular, so I say all their chances are looking good.

An ARMS stage would be pretty cool, or a stage on Dinosaur Planet from Star Fox Adventures like Krazoa Palace or Thorntail Hallow.

We could get Sephiroth as an Assist Trophy, he could use his extremely long sword to catch far off opponents, and/or bomb the stage with Supernova. Yep he'd be perfect as an tro- *door sliced in two* AHHHHGG! W-what are you doing here? Why are you so mad? Ok, ok you can be a playable character. You can be a character! SAKUR-!
We were told to drop the previous topic, but I guess this is a new one. Now, allow me.

"Ahem"

Boi

Boi

Boi

Boi

Boi

And many more.
So true, so many good tracks the ones you posted are some of my favorites, along with this

This

This

and of course this
It's just a good piece to relax or go to sleep with.

And for the sake of saving space on here, the night version for all of these are amazing :)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here's an idea.

I've made it clear that Sora is the one character I want more than anything else.

I've been playing Kingdom Hearts for almost a decade now. My sister's friend introduced her to the series, and she then introduced it to me. Back then, I was a huge Disney fan, so a video game where I could fight alongside them was awesome! I remember playing Kingdom Hearts II on a PS2 hooked up to a small, portable TV when my family moved into our new house, and then hooking it up to an HD TV and being amazed. I have legitimately bought consoles just to play Kingdom Hearts games because I love the series so much. As I grew older I decided to challenge myself with the old games I had, and alongside nuzlockes, I did Critical Mode and Level 1 runs of Kingdom Hearts II. The gameplay has so much depth to it, and I find myself coming back time and time again because it's just so much fun. Sora also has so much moveset potential to draw from, with Magic, Drives, Flow-Motion, Limits, Shotlocks, Keyblade Transformations, and more coming to mind.

Not only that, but the themes of light and darkness really resonates with me. For most of my life I've been dealing with mental illness. It got really bad about a year or so ago, and playing Kingdom Hearts made me feel better. Seeing Sora and his friends fight against darkness and win made me confident that I can beat my own darkness and find my own light, and it still does to this day (I'm doing much better now, and am probably in the most healthy mental state I've ever been in).

I could go on and on, but for the sake of not subjecting you all to a Great Wall of Text, I'll say this:

Kingdom Hearts is a series that means a lot to me, and I'd love to see it represented in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Here's an idea.

I know he's been disconfirmed already, but I mainly wanted Waluigi for the sake of having a Mario spin-off rep in the game. Plus, I genuinely like him as a character, with him having some of the most hilarious animations and dialogue in the games he's featured in.
As for a not-deconfirmed newcomer, I'm personally rooting for Shantae, as she's the oldest indie star that I know of (she made her debut on the Gameboy Color in 2002), plus she's got a really cute design, deep moveset potential, and tons of rockin' tunes to Smash to.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I've made it clear that Sora is the one character I want more than anything else.

I've been playing Kingdom Hearts for almost a decade now. My sister's friend introduced her to the series, and she then introduced it to me. Back then, I was a huge Disney fan, so a video game where I could fight alongside them was awesome! I remember playing Kingdom Hearts II on a PS2 hooked up to a small, portable TV when my family moved into our new house, and then hooking it up to an HD TV and being amazed. I have legitimately bought consoles just to play Kingdom Hearts games because I love the series so much. As I grew older I decided to challenge myself with the old games I had, and alongside nuzlockes, I did Critical Mode and Level 1 runs of Kingdom Hearts II. The gameplay has so much depth to it, and I find myself coming back time and time again because it's just so much fun. Sora also has so much moveset potential to draw from, with Magic, Drives, Flow-Motion, Limits, Shotlocks, Keyblade Transformations, and more coming to mind.

Not only that, but the themes of light and darkness really resonates with me. For most of my life I've been dealing with mental illness. It got really bad about a year or so ago, and playing Kingdom Hearts made me feel better. Seeing Sora and his friends fight against darkness and win made me confident that I can beat my own darkness and find my own light, and it still does to this day (I'm doing much better now, and am probably in the most healthy mental state I've ever been in).

Kingdom Hearts is a series that means a lot to me, and I'd love to see it represented in Smash Bros.
I just hope Aqua, Roxas, Xion, Namine, and the rest of the nobodies that aren't just Axel get a happy-ish ending.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
and even then, there are characters like Wario that weren't implemented until later games because they felt that there weren't any other characters that they could suitably be cloned from.
Sakurai remarked he could have made Wario a Mario clone in Melee but didn't for reasons never explained,

Question: what's the cutoff for music from new games getting into Smash? I've been having a blast with the Octopath Traveler soundtrack (even though I haven't gotten my hands on it yet) and it'd be awesome to have this in Smash. (Also, being published by Nintendo makes the game fair game for easy inclusions like this right? People through around "Sqaure Enix" so much I don't know if it's on the level of a separate studio like HAL Laboratories/Monolith Soft or still 3rd party like SMRPG)

Music doesn't have a hard cutoff and adding more songs to the game is something that can be easily done mid-development, in Brawl we even got a Smash remix of a song from a game releasing after Brawl (the Theme of Love from Metal Gear Solid 4). However music from games releasing mid-development will naturally have less songs, and I wouldn't expect music from a third party franchise that doesn't have any playable characters. You're certainly going to have to wait until music modding is a thing (though fortunately Switch modding is moving along swiftly and I've seen a modder state custom music in Ultimate will be probably be possible day 1).

Now I was obviously joking because who knows what crazy buffs she'll get, but her customs weren't overpowered in 4. She was decent with them as in like mid tier and was a very strong candidate for the worst character in the game without them. Her moveset just seems so fundamentally horrible to me; almost all of her normals are just plain bad which is a really bad starting point for a character. There's no way the main dev team doesn't realize just how dysfunctional that moveset is so maybe they've tweaked almost all of her moves to basically be new moves so I guess we'll see, but I'd just keep in mind she could get very, very large buffs and still be one of the worst characters. She's starting from that bad of a place, and there's really nothing in the new system mechanics that should do anything but further work against her.
Calling default Palutena a "very strong candidate for the worst character in the game" is a very 3DS days opinion, that isn't something I seen stated since those very first tier lists for Smash 3DS and she's been well beyond a consensus bottom tier for a very long time. Her tilts and forward/down smashes are really bad, and her default specials are situational at best (though her reflector is rather absurd against projectile-reliant characters), but her aerials are really good (including an invincible spammable bair), she has an invincible dash attack, a jab that despite being relatively slow leads to a guaranteed grab upon jab-cancelling, and a great grab that leads to a very dangerous setup throw that has an early and wide kill confirm window, nevermind the all-around good mobility stats she has. Calling her moveset dysfunctional and most of her moves bad is really exaggerating it, the better way to describe her moveset is that it's just really polarizing, with an extreme mix of both really good and really bad moves.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Anyways, another day, another set of "leaks." Lets get this over with.

On August, EVI Championship wil getting Heihachi from Tekken in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I can't wait for the EVI Championship you guys. I think it'll be great.

But seriously, are they even ****ing trying anymore?
Now i know from a friend thats working at Nintendo, that a Direct Mini is coming July 26. It wont be teased in any way, but will just pop up like the last small one. He does not want to get in any trouble, so he was not 100% specific, instead just hinted at some things. Heres what i could get out of him:

>Direct starting with Mario Odysey DLC, some Gamecube and Nintendo 64 maps will be added
>Next is a new Darksouls trailer and release date revealed. Its comming late Oktober
> Spyro Trilogy is comming to Switch and will launch shortly after Pokemon Lets
> Mario Kart Deluxe getting new DLC, launching shortly after the Nintendo paid online is activated.
> Injustice 2 is shown with a quick trailer with a release date at late september
> As the last game of the year Atlus is bringing Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE to Switch which will launch december 27, similar to the Wii U version launch 3 years ago.
>The direct ends with a roundup of the games comming till the end of the Year with Lets Go and Smash beeing the stars.

Hello, I'd like a regular Nintendo Direct leak with a side of boring. Thank you very much.
So yeah, I’m sure you guys are all sick of the fake Smash Switch leaks going around, but here’s another one claiming veracity. I know that you’re probably not going to believe this, and that saying I don’t really care either way won’t help with that, but nonetheless, I feel compelled to post the information I’ve come across. I’m in contact with an acquaintance working on the graphics team for Smash 5. He’s been in contact with me for a while now, and this is all based on information I typed down from face-to-face meetings with him. He doesn’t have information on when these reveals are going to happen, or what their trailers are like, but he does have huge information on how their movesets are coming along. In total, there are six newcomers and four new echo fighters, including the ones revealed so far.

Geno and King K. Rool. These two were mainly taken from the popularity poll. Bandana Dee was considered, but Sakurai couldn’t really think he could find many creative ways to use him. Chibi Robo was also considered, but the two you have now won out in terms of popularity, so he had less priority. While Sakurai is sticking to not planning DLC until the game is fully finished, the possibility is still open here.

Geno plays with most of his moves from Super Mario RPG, and they’re pretty much 1-to-1 recreations. Geno Beam, Geno Whirl, Geno Flash, etc. The only substantially altered one is his recovery, which is a variation on Geno Blast that he fires downwards.

K. Rool also borrows a lot from his games, with a crown throw, his blunderbuss, and a helicopter pack for recovery, as well as his own variation on the Bowser bomb that has more horizontal distance than vertical for his down special. His Final Smash is his giant form from Jungle Climber dropping cannonballs in classic fashion. He also has costumes based on his alter egos from DKC 2 and 3, but they don’t have alternate colors.

Yuri Lowell. He was picked largely due to his popularity in Japan. For those who don’t know, Yuri is so popular that he was put into a Tales “Hall of Fame,” with Leon Magnus, and was permanently removed as a voting option from the yearly popularity poll. Lloyd was also on the drawing board, but, well, he’s not even the most popular character in his own game, and isn’t even popular among the Japanese audience in general. The proximity to the release of the Vesperia rerelease was also a factor in this decision. All of his smash and special attacks are artes from Vesperia. Azure Edge, Ghost Wolf, Destruction Field, and Wailing Havoc for special attacks, and Shining Fang, Lone Wolf Charge, and Crushing Eagle as Smash attacks. His final Smash is his Divine Wolf Arte leading into Heavenly Bladewing. It’s another scripted event attack, mainly because the dev team thought that using the blade wing outside of a scripted event would cover too much of the stage.

Travis Touchdown. Suda51 wasn’t joking when he said he was going to demand Sakurai for this, so it’s kind of like what happened when Kojima begged Sakurai to put Snake in. Smash attacks all use the Rose Nasties, while his tilt, jab, and special just use the standard Blood Berry, with a few punches and kicks mixed in. His standard special is Blueberry Cheese Brownie. Sakurai wanted desperately to include the Slot Mechanic, but he didn’t want to base a whole playstyle around luck. His up special is based on the jumping attack he gets from the Memory of White, functioning like a diagonal version of Ike’s Aether. His side special is a charged beam katana slice All his grabs are based off his wrestling moves. His final Smash is summoning the Glastonbury. It kind of functions like Giga Bowser, except it gets three slashes across the screen that don’t insta-kill the fighters.

Echo Fighters

Not much to say here in terms of moves. They’re almost exactly the same aside from a few visual differences and some redone Final Smashes.

Shadow (Sonic): His final smash, Super Shadow, places chaos spears while teleporting around, before they all hone in on the opponent(s).

Hilda (Zelda): Final smash is her summoning Yuga to trap an opponent in a painting. It’s functionally identical to the Triforce of Wisdom.

Dark Samus (Guess who): The general look of her projectiles and such have actually been altered so that they look more Phazon-y, alongside the property changes. Her Final Smash is exactly the same though. She’s one of the lower-effort echo fighters, much like Daisy and Lucina.

He doesn’t know how classic mode is structured, but there are supposedly some intermittent mini games. Speaking of which, Break the Targets, with a difficulty system akin to Brawl’s, has returned, albeit with stages that are based on actual games. He knows that Mario and Zelda are the easy and normal stages. Race to the Finish has also returned with a new stage and a format based on Melee’s version, and so has Target Blast, with two new stages.

Adventure Mode: This isn’t a story, two routes, classic and ultimate. Classic mode is filled with the Melee Stages, while Ultimate has new content, all of which are actual adventure stages, featuring bosses, with no reused stages in between. Work on some of the stages haven’t been finalized yet, but he does know a bunch of them. He’s aware that there’s a Mario stage that has you going through the Odyssey version of Bowser’s Castle, a Zelda: BOTW stage that has you running through the Divine Beasts, a Sonic Forces city stage with an Infinite boss fight, and a Kid Icarus stage based on Palutena’s temple in Uprising with a Chaos Kin as a boss, presumably after a fight with Palutena. The final stage is a revamped version of Master Fortress, who’s been removed from Classic mode.

Too detailed to likely be real, but a good try nonetheless.
Nintendo Direct for July 21st, Comic Con special 20 Minutes presented by Bill Trinen
>Special Nindies showcase on new indie titles releasing for Switch like Undertale, Dusk, Overcooked 2, Speedrunners, Skullgirls, Broken Age, and Hotline Miami
>Dark Souls Remaster on Switch release date revealed from Namco panel, Solair Amiibo unlocks Praise the Sun emote early and for Smash Bros Ultimate you unlock a special trophy and Mii costume
>Danganronpa collection, including 1, 2, Ultra Despair Girls, and V3 for $60, releasing September 19th
>Resident Evil Origins Collection releasing October 11th for $20, Resident Evil 2 and 3 releasing Digitally on October 31st $10 each or $20 as a bundle, Resident Evil 4 and 5 special bundle releasing for $40 physically, $20 each digitally on October 17th, special amiibo functions for each game and a special Hunk amiibo releasing October 31st
>New info on Super Smash Bros Ultimate presented by Sakurai, amiibo training returns and you'll be able to carry your progress into the new game, you'll also be able to properly train your amiibo more extensively to play a certain style like being more defensive or offensive, or using certain moves more. You will now be able to take them with you online and go against other players in a new mode exclusively for them for 2v2, 2v2v2v2 or 4v4. Sakurai apologizes that he is unable to reveal more info and to expect more at Gamescom

Interesting that this direct wouldn't have a character reveal. Gamescom isn't too far away though, so not too bad I guess.
Information of Shadow are:
-Shadow is not an Echo but rather a Semi Clone like Dixie Kong and Pichu.
-Shadows up recovery is a Teleportation move much like Mewtwo.
-Shadow will glide run instead of actually running like Sonic
-The rest of Shadows move set is pretty much like Sonic with minor changes.
-Shadows Smash Ultimate will be exactly like Sonics
DLC News:
Crown: Mouse or Car Key as an Echo Character. The decision has not been selected yet.

Almost slammed into the graveyard, but one anon did say this that's making me give it the benefit of the doubt:
To be fair they said that (DLC not being planned) [before] Mewtwo too, but the date on his files showed they hadn't been touched for so long they might've well just been held back.
It means that I'm stuffing it on life support instead.

Also, earlier in the thread I saw a request for the July 22nd Direct "leak" and anything related to it, so here's that:
Alright bois heres a leak for ya
On July 22nd a 30 minute Nintendo direct will be held
> The direct will start out with the announcement that Funko is making Mario, Pokemon and Zelda themed Funko Pops

> A trailer for a New Super Mario Bros Switch game is show titled New Super Mario World and every level is painted in the way that 5-1 in NSMBU was. The trailer shows Mario, Luigi and Blue Toad as playable characters however Yellow Toad is removed. Instead it is revealed that Wario is going to be playable instead.

> Mario Maker for Switch is next. Showing the game comes with a free stylus and can only be edited while levels can be played on both screens

> Mario Odyssey Dlc is shown next with a new world being Delfino Island from Mario Sunshine.
> MK8D is the final bit of Mario content shown as DLC is shown. The dlc includes 2 new cups. 2 new battle tracks and 6 new characters. The cups shown are the Top Hat Cup and the Shine Cup with only 2 tracks shown for both. Top Hat has New Donk City and Shine Cup is shown with Waluigi Pinball. The battle tracks include the return of Block Fort and the addition of a new track titled Green Greens. The characters shown as DLC are: Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Birdo, Cappy, Pauline and Kirby.

> Mother 3D is announced. It’s a remake of Mother 3 with 3D graphics and full dialogued cutscenes. Amiibos are then revealed with Lucas, Kumatora, Boney, Duster and Masked Man amiibos shown off

> Next are the reveal of 3 popular games from other consoles being ported over: Mortal Kombat X, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Fallout 76

> A Minecraft Mash-Up pack is shown next with it being Zelda themed

> Star Fox racing is revealed, taking a lot of inspiration from F-Zero

> Megaman 11 gets a mini trailer followed by the announcement that you can play as Proto-Man, Bass and Roll

> Pokemon Lets Go is next with a trailer revealing some of the locations like Pallet Town, Lavender Town, Saffron City and Lt Surges Gym

> Gameplay trailer for Fire Emblem: Three Houses

> Kirby Star Allies dream friends are revealed alongside their release date.

> Final Fantasy 7 Remake is coming to Nintendo Switch

> Sonic Mania Plus is getting a trailer alongside the confirmation that Metal Sonic is in development as a playable character

> Cuphead is coming to Nintendo switch

> A montage of games are shown including Mario Tennis Aces, Sonic Mania Plus, Rocket League, Owlboy, Bomb Chicken, Camp Camp: Campe Diem, Pool Panic, Buddy Buddiez and Doshin The Giant HD

> A smash trailer for King K Rool and Dixie Kong is shown to end things off. Smash Run is also revealed to return alongside Smash Tour
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey. Can confirm July 22 direct leak is real. Just wanted to give a little more detail about what’s going to be released.

<In the shine cup, another stage titled “dream land” will be shown off quickly.

<King K Rool and Dixie’s announcement will happen once you think the direct is over and the smash icon will appear similar to what happened when Ridley was announced.

That’s all the other person didn’t cover. Pretty big direct. Since it’s only a 30 minute direct a lot of these announcements will be a quick trailer with the name of the game. It will be very fast paced.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's actually coming, I've watched the entire thing and I can tell you the following aren't true:

>NSMB Switch

>Mario Maker Switch

>Final Fantasy 7 Remake

>Kingdom Hearts 3, Mortal Kombat X (Fallout is real)

>Metal Sonic in Sonic Mania Plus (no idea why the other leaker made that up, lol)

Everything else is there one way or another. Some additional spoilers/corrections:

>Smash is the first thing on Direct, not last

>Star Fox racing game releases this November, titled Star Fox G

>Nintendo is publishing a new game from Bastion/Transistor developers, only concept art teaser shown

>There's a whole Microsoft *segment* including the Fortnite cross-play, Cuphead and Minecraft

>Mother 3 is EarthBound Ever, trailer starts off with a very western film vibe

I think those are most things in it, unless I forget something

MAY/MAY NOT BE OP

Oh, I did forget something
Pokemon Yellow is fully playable within the new Let's Go games

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have to wonder what's the point of reaping the credit for a leak if all the leaks have the same exact characters.

At least throw one semi-unrealistic pick out there so if they get called out, you can rise out of the woodwork and say "Hey, it's me! I did it! I leaked it!"

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Random idea: Everyone is back! Meaning the newcomers include...
• Petey Pirhana
• Porky
• Rayquaza

They’d have to be scaled down ala Ridley, but generally speaking, what would people think of them? They already have Smash cred.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
• Petey Pirhana
• Porky
• Rayquaza

They’d have to be scaled down ala Ridley, but generally speaking, what would people think of them? They already have Smash cred.
Utter disbelief and confusing for Rayquaza. It's a cool ass mon but. It's huge. And you can ride it. It's a giant spaghetti string. How the **** do you scale that down properly

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
• Petey Pirhana
• Porky
• Rayquaza

You're forgetting the OCs: Galleon, Duon and Tabuu...

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
• Petey Pirhana
• Porky
• Rayquaza

Well I would hope Petey can do more than just jump and swing a cage left/right. I thought all the Brawl bosses were really fun, except for Petey, who even for a first boss was ridiculously braindead.

I have no attachment whatsoever to the Mother series and don't find Porky himself appealling at all, however since the Imgur leak I found the idea of a big Spider Mech character to be quite appealing, so I would be intrigued to see how it would turn out.

Rayquaza was my favorite boss in Brawl, but I think he would be quite unrealizable as a viable Smash character, guess there's the curiosity of how Sakurai could possibly implement him without it being ridiculous.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
• Petey Pirhana
• Porky
• Rayquaza

Petey Piranha has been my favorite Mario character ever since I saw him back in Sunshine, and I would be ecstatic to see him playable! Tons of moveset potential too with attacks that involve plants or goop. It was cool seeing him as a boss in Brawl, but I'm still hoping he makes it in as newcomer some day, as unlikely as that might be.

I don't have as much attachment to the other two characters, but I'd love to see Porky join the fight as our second mech-piloting character. Seeing him go up against Ness and Lucas would be awesome. Rayquaza would look kinda strange scaled down, but it's a cool legendary that I imagine would have a pretty fast, aerial-focused fighting style.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Rayquaza would be hype. I've actually pictured an epic clash between him and Ridley before (although admittedly in a sort of fanfic retelling of the Subspace Emissary)

Petey would be neat, but I'd prefer King Boo

No interest in Porky

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I actually am curious on how a "serpentine" character could work in Smash...
One thing about a serpentine fighter is that, depending on the length of its body, they may need to have it be usually curled up a bit, lest it have a ridiculously long hurtbox and/or defy gravity when navigating over cliffs and uneven terrain if it’s on the ground.

Generally, depending on the character, there can be bites and attacks with its tail, it can wrap itself around an enemy for a grab, it can hold items with its tail, ect. For less seriously themed characters, it could also do things like roll itself up into a wheel to roll around, ect. Of course, characters like Rayquaza and Serperior (with Vine Whip) also have arms, although Ray’s are a bit too short to be a main focus. It at least also has energy attacks to make up for that, though.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Here's an idea.

Geno. He's a character that has been left forgotten, along with Mallow. He's one of the few characters from my childhood that really means a lot to me.

The reason that he means so much to me is that Super Mario RPG is one of the first games I ever played through with one of my brothers and my best friend. We would sit around, taking turns as different characters, and passing the controller around. I took over Mario since I wanted to play it so bad. My brother liked Mallow, so he would take control of him. And, my best friend would play as Geno. So, those two characters really mean a lot to me, and when I see them, I think about how much fun we had as kids playing that game.

I won't go much further in, but basically Geno is why I joined Smashboards and really got into the Smash speculation scene. Sonic was added, so that got me hyped, but reading the comments on this site made me want to join. Sure, I am not always here. Just when the speculation starts. But I always am lurking during those times and even speak up every now and then. Geno's big push in Brawl was amazing to see. And, if he does get in, I feel like it just proves that ANY character from video games has a chance to make it into Smash Bros. So, go support your favorite!

Side note, we also played Chrono Trigger the exact same way. Crono for me, Frog for my best friend, and Robo for my brother. Powerhouse team! Well, it would be if we would have taken Ayla instead!

I could go on and on, but for the sake of not subjecting you all to a Great Wall of Text, I'll say this:

Awesome! Love to see the passion from people. A lot of others have said similar things about their most wanted character. Noipoi Noipoi , great question!

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Here's an idea.

My Dad is a dog person, so as far as I can remember growing up with them, I always thought they were amazing animals, and the fact that one helped saved me from drowning (my Dad too of course) when I was a child, didn't help to curb my fondness for them, especially since I was a bit of a loner when I was younger and they were great company. Along with Martial Arts, Kung Fu, Superhero, Action movies, I also remember watching a lot of shows and movies with dogs, and animals in general (talking, and non talking animals) saving the day, winning sport games, and overall being the heroes, and those movies brought me a lot joy.

Fast forward to when Okami came on Gamecube, I was instantly hooked. A divine wolf that goes around slaying demons across the land and saves the country with weapons on her back, and creations made from art (I love drawing even though I was kinda bad at it, I'm better at it now though, trying to pursue a career in Game Design)? Sign me up! Unfortunately, the nearest game shop was on... another island nearby, and it turns out when I finally got there... it was sold out... for a long while.

Turns out, my friend got the last copy (lucky him). So we took turns playing throughout the week, it wasn't often that I could come by and play, (or he the same), but when I did it was amazing. The music, the art style, the characters, the demons, the fights. The short amount of what I got to see and play was amazing and wonderful. The fact that this one wolf was so epic in a video game, with a graceful yet ferocious fighting style was unforgettable "This fictional character was like the epitome of all the dogs, and animals heroes that ever save any one in the movies or real life." I thought to myself back then. It always made me wonder whenever a new Smash game came out why she couldn't get in as a character?

Unfortunately he had to move away, that was the last I saw of him... or played Okami. As sad, and shameful as it is to say, I keep missing my chance to play it again (didn't have the right console at the right time, with previous copies being sold out). But not this time August 9th is around the corner, and I'm definitely getting it for the Switch, so I can play as that amazing character once more in her game, and if I'm lucky in Smash too.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Geno, just been a mario rpg fan forever. my guide book for it is falling apart i looked at it so much as a kid. always wanted him to make a come back and then in the brawl days his popularity exploded and ive been holding out hope ever since.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My Dad is a dog person, so as far as I can remember growing up with them, I always thought they were amazing animals, and the fact that one helped saved me from drowning (my Dad too of course) when I was a child, didn't help to curb my fondness for them, especially since I was a bit of a loner when I was younger and they were great company. Along with Martial Arts, Kung Fu, Superhero, Action movies, I also remember watching a lot of shows and movies with dogs, and animals in general (talking, and non talking animals) saving the day, winning sport games, and overall being the heroes, and those movies brought me a lot joy.

Fast forward to when Okami came on Gamecube, I was instantly hooked. A divine wolf that goes around slaying demons across the land and saves the country with weapons on her back, and creations made from art (I love drawing even though I was kinda bad at it, I'm better at it now though, trying to pursue a career in Game Design)? Sign me up! Unfortunately, the nearest game shop was on... another island nearby, and it turns out when I finally got there... it was sold out... for a long while.

Turns out, my friend got the last copy (lucky him). So we took turns playing throughout the week, it wasn't often that I could come by and play, (or he the same), but when I did it was amazing. The music, the art style, the characters, the demons, the fights. The short amount of what I got to see and play was amazing and wonderful. The fact that this one wolf was so epic in a video game, with a graceful yet ferocious fighting style was unforgettable "This fictional character was like the epitome of all the dogs, and animals heroes that ever save any one in the movies or real life." I thought to myself back then. It always made me wonder whenever a new Smash game came out why she couldn't get in as a character?

Unfortunately he had to move away, that was the last I saw of him... or played Okami. As sad, and shameful as it is to say, I keep missing my chance to play it again (didn't have the right console at the right time, with previous copies being sold out). But not this time August 9th is around the corner, and I'm definitely getting it for the Switch, so I can play as that amazing character once more in her game, and if I'm lucky in Smash too.
Also check out Okamiden, its sequel.
It's a fun little romp that's surprisingly good for a budget DS game.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Going with the Dixie Kong example, the main deal breaker that would prevent her from being a clone of Diddy isn't whether she has more potential with stuff she has in the DKC games. It's whether Diddy has moves that wouldn't make sense for Dixie to have.
You hit the nail on the head, and this is really how echo discussion should go. Focus on the specials, the smash attacks, and the regular attacks and then we'll have more of a discussion. I can't think of a move that doesn't work.

Example was Dark Samus. As much as she'd make no sense, moveset wise, as a Samus clone, Dark Samus totally works as an echo.

As for game accuracy, it's honestly a tossup. Two scenarios if Dixie gets in the game:
A. They're lateish in development and decide "Yeah, we can still add this as a semi-clone. She's requested enough."
B. They're so late in development that they go "Eh, sure, we can make this echo work." People would rather have her in the game than not."

Both are plausible, though, if #2 is plausible, we'll figure out through this how plausible it is.

1 more thing, re source material: actually, if anything, it's a case by case basis on characters. I know people keep bringing up Ganondorf, but there's definitely cases in Smash that are just as bad at least, while there's also cases that are truly a love letter to the game. We need to debunk from a technical standpoint, not an emotional one. (or at least, try to as much as possible)

That was Shulk for me in Smash 4. Don't think it could happen again.
...por favor?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I hear you on that it one, it's near and dear to me too, Sora and Riku always reminds me, of me and my friend respectively, friendly rivals in video games especially Smash. He got me into Kingdom Hearts, by lending me his disk. If there was anything I took from that game, it was Sora's unyielding optimism, and never letting the darkness take your light.
Also check out Okamiden, its sequel.
It's a fun little romp that's surprisingly good for a budget DS game.
Thanks, I'll have to get that too... As well as a new 3DS. Smash: For the 3DS, was NOT made for the 3DS. R.I.P. Circle Pad, and Twin Shoulder Buttons
:(

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Calling default Palutena a "very strong candidate for the worst character in the game" is a very 3DS days opinion, that isn't something I seen stated since those very first tier lists for Smash 3DS and she's been well beyond a consensus bottom tier for a very long time. Her tilts and forward/down smashes are really bad, and her default specials are situational at best (though her reflector is rather absurd against projectile-reliant characters), but her aerials are really good (including an invincible spammable bair), she has an invincible dash attack, a jab that despite being relatively slow leads to a guaranteed grab upon jab-cancelling, and a great grab that leads to a very dangerous setup throw that has an early and wide kill confirm window, nevermind the all-around good mobility stats she has. Calling her moveset dysfunctional and most of her moves bad is really exaggerating it, the better way to describe her moveset is that it's just really polarizing, with an extreme mix of both really good and really bad moves.
Ampharos may be exaggerating with worst character, but Palutena on her own right is complete garbage. Her tilts, smash attacks and specials are all trash, dysfunctional is a perfect word to describe her moveset. If she is not bottom tier where is her meta? Yeah, it is dead. After the Ramen upset her results (if they existed) went downhill harder and harder by the seasons and pretty much all of her players fell to irrelevance (generous here). Also, who is Palutena so much better than to not consider her bottom tier? Obviously she is better than :ultkingdedede::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultjigglypuff::ultbowserjr:but is she drastically better than the other trash? :ultlittlemac::ultkirby::ultwiifittrainer::ultfalco::ultrob::ultdoc:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Ampharos may be exaggerating with worst character, but Palutena on her own right is complete garbage. Her tilts, smash attacks and specials are all trash, dysfunctional is a perfect word to describe her moveset. If she is not bottom tier where is her meta? Yeah, it is dead. After the Ramen upset her results (if they existed) went downhill harder and harder by the seasons and pretty much all of her players fell to irrelevance (generous here). Also, who is Palutena so much better than to not consider her bottom tier? Obviously she is better than :ultkingdedede::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultjigglypuff::ultbowserjr:but is she drastically better than the other trash? :ultlittlemac::ultkirby::ultwiifittrainer::ultfalco::ultrob::ultdoc:
As some one who wanted Palutena in Smash 4, and wanted her to be good, these words sting, despite how true they are. I just hope, she gets something substantial this time around that at least places her Mid Tier.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Also, who is Palutena so much better than to not consider her bottom tier? Obviously she is better than :ultbowserjr:but is she drastically better than the other trash? :ultrob:

I can understand that it is definitely possible that you've never fought a Bowser Jr. that understands how to use that character, but to say ROB is trash is pretty laughable. ROB is combo food but he's got way more for him neutral-wise and in his combo-game than Palu does. Also Mac has weaknesses but his advantage in the hands of a player that will do nothing but wait is terrifying.
nevermind mac sucks you right

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom