• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoldieBowldie

Smash Rookie
Not at all.

Disney is far, FAR more protective of their properties than Nintendo is. There’s a reason they’ve LITERALLY CHANGE government laws to keep Mickey Mouse from falling into the public domain, which should have happened a long time ago by now.

Nintendo on the other hand allows other companies to work on their properties and even experiment with them. They also allow their characters to fight each other which has already been shown by Disney that they won’t allow the same thing.

So, Nintendo sharing with Disney is cool, not the other way around, at least so far.
But if Ralph can get into Sega All-Stars Racing, I dont see a reason why it isn't possible for Sora to be in Smash.

MainJPW

M.T.A
So today I went to get a tarot reading from my aunt, who's highly experienced in astrology (she's a certified shaman and more). My readings were surprisingly accurate and useful to vouch for her credibility.

I decided to go out on a limb and see if she could comment on potential Smash newcomers, and sure enough, she could. I asked about a couple of characters, and here's what she and the astral plane had to say:

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Chrom - initially no, but she mispronounced his name, and after further searching, yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - yes

Lip - yes

Take this all with a large grain of salt, but I think it'll be fun to see if these characters get in or not.
Now that’s a nice roster.

I like how Ashley is a ”big yes”.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Why are thinking Sakurai would pick a gen 3 mon? I know they're popular but t's been 15 years...
Because Pokemon Alpha and Omega release a year before the project plan (and also might have been requested on the Ballot). Yet people seem to forget that Black & White 2 released the same year of the project plan (a few months before) and we still got a gen 6 Pokemon.

Seriously a Gen 3 Pokemon would be super surprising.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So today I went to get a tarot reading from my aunt, who's highly experienced in astrology (she's a certified shaman and more). My readings were surprisingly accurate and useful to vouch for her credibility.

I decided to go out on a limb and see if she could comment on potential Smash newcomers, and sure enough, she could. I asked about a couple of characters, and here's what she and the astral plane had to say:

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Chrom - initially no, but she mispronounced his name, and after further searching, yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - yes

Lip - yes

Take this all with a large grain of salt, but I think it'll be fun to see if these characters get in or not.
Well that's one way to do it. If on the money, looks like a good roster to me. 12 new characters.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Smh, no Isaac. That being said, that sounds like a pretty nice roster of yesses.
I should've asked about more characters (Isaac, Chorus Kids, Shadow, etc.) alongside testing questions (Is Ridley in Smash, etc.) but I got caught up in the hype.

Being originally from Louisiana and super into spiritual stuff like this, I find this incredibly interesting, haha. Any particular reason why Ashley is a BIG yes?
I didn't think to ask. She just said big yes. I don't know why.

Well that's one way to do it. If on the money, looks like a good roster to me. 12 new characters.
Of course, there could be more characters. I suppose I should have asked about max number of newcomers or if there will be DLC, but again, I got caught in the hype of it.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Honestly, the potential characters regardless for this onw are looking real good since we've narrowed it down so much. It would take a truly obscure character or a miracle for characters with no hope to surprise me, and even that's a good thing.

Literally, all I need is great singleplayer content, which I'm afraid of since Sm4sh's wasn't able to keep my attention as much.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Because Pokemon Alpha and Omega release a year before the project plan (and also might have been requested on the Ballot). Yet people seem to forget that Black & White 2 released the same year of the project plan (a few months before) and we still got a gen 6 Pokemon.

Seriously a Gen 3 Pokemon would be super surprising.
I think GF taking a break after ORAS and working on an entry level game before Gen 8 threw off our old pattern of "one new Pokemon from odd numbered gen, go nuts with gen 1" so we think anything is possible. This may be my best chance to get Gardevoir in Smash so I'll take it. :p

Enchess

Smash Lord
Not at all.

Disney is far, FAR more protective of their properties than Nintendo is. There’s a reason they’ve LITERALLY CHANGE government laws to keep Mickey Mouse from falling into the public domain, which should have happened a long time ago by now.

Nintendo on the other hand allows other companies to work on their properties and even experiment with them. They also allow their characters to fight each other which has already been shown by Disney that they won’t allow the same thing.

So, Nintendo sharing with Disney is cool, not the other way around, at least so far.
Yeah, this is why I said I consider Sora a no-go. Disney is more likely to say no than Square is.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yeah, this is why I said I consider Sora a no-go. Disney is more likely to say no than Square is.
Disney doesn't care how Sora is used so long as:

a) Normura approves of it
and
b) It's faithful to his character

That's it. No other bulls***.

Watch HMK's video. It clears up a lot of things.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think GF taking a break after ORAS and working on an entry level game before Gen 8 threw off our old pattern of "one new Pokemon from odd numbered gen, go nuts with gen 1" so we think anything is possible. This may be my best chance to get Gardevoir in Smash so I'll take it. :p
But the time frame is worse for Gen 3 than it even was for Gen 5. Like I said the project plan for Smash 4 was made the same year gen 5 was still being released and yet Sakurai decided to wait for a Gen 6 mon.

With Smash Ultimate's plan it was a year after Omega/alpha (and it's only the project draft for all we know). Both games had the next gen releasing a year later so it's not really different. The only thing I could see changing the situation is the Ballot, but I honestly don't think a single Gen 3 Pokemon did particularly well on the Ballot (but that's just my opinion).

Anyway don't mean to put down Gardevoir, I hope the best for you in this upcoming Smash reveal season!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - unsure

Lip - yes

Ah, Ashley gets a big yes. I see your aunt is a woman of culture.

Enchess

Smash Lord

and

I guess they might've said something I missed that makes Sora a different situation than their other characters. Can't watch HMK video today, but your comments are making me think that's the gist of it.

I still wouldn't expect Sakurai to go for Sora, but I guess he's possible.

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
Maybe every potential character has hope now because the biggest "joke" character of them all made it in. I feel like if Sakurai wants a third party character, he would have a fairly easy time getting them because of Smash's popularity and how it boosts other characters properties. I mean potentially not, but we have Snake again some how so clearly he is doing something right. I really think that any character is possible at this point, within the realm of possibility of course... third party is a bit more difficult but hey.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - yes

Lip - yes

I don't know if I believe this type of things...

Bandana Dee - yes

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Why are thinking Sakurai would pick a gen 3 mon? I know they're popular but it's been 15 years...
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire were the newest main series games at the time Sakurai made his initial proposal and, theoretically, when the roster was decided.

I still think TPC would give Sakurai a heads up about Gen 7 though.

EDIT: Started typing this post, went downstairs, came back up just to get Greninja'd after I finished rip. Dunno what I expected. :laugh:

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - unsure

Lip - yes

Sorry I don't believe in pseudosciences. :reverse: Did she pronounce Chrom as Chrome or something?

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

and

The only other qualm here is that Sakurai or some other representative would have to approach Disney about it first. Disney would not make the first gesture in this situation. Sora's destiny is in Sakurai's hands, for the most part. And that's only if he wants him to begin with.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - unsure

Lip - yes

Well that's certainly one way to predict a roster!

...I'd have her check on Geno again, though. The stars above may have a bit of a bias for one of their own! :chrono:

(But don't though let him be in please)

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I remember Sceptile having a fandom push a while back. I love all Gen 3 starters but personally I'd pick Swampert out of the 3. Mostly because it isn't picked as much, and I loooove Swampert's design and think it'd be the most interesting as a fighter out of the 3.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - unsure

Lip - yes

This has Elma so it has to be real, I don't make the rules

Did you not ask her about anyone from Zelda though?

Noipoi

Howdy!
I remember Sceptile having a fandom push a while back. I love all Gen 3 starters but personally I'd pick Swampert out of the 3. Mostly because it isn't picked as much, and I loooove Swampert's design and think it'd be the most interesting as a fighter out of the 3.
I heard you like Swamperts!

(He needs more love)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sorry I don't believe in pseudosciences. :reverse: Did she pronounce Chrom as Chrome or something?
Don't knock it if you don't know a lot about it. I'll agree that most of it is BS, but my aunt is the real deal.

Anyways, it was a weird pronunciation for sure. Something like Chrong I think. After clarifying it was a yes though.

This has Elma so it has to be real, I don't make the rules

Did you not ask her about anyone from Zelda though?
I had Impa on my initial list of characters to ask for, but I forgot in the hype.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Did a little review since I was still playing Smash 4 again. I'm still "good" with Mac, but I lost some of my touch with Olimar. Also really starting to enjoy playing :4wario: for some reason.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Don't knock it if you don't know a lot about it. I'll agree that most of it is BS, but my aunt is the real deal.
Sorry, seems pretty biased of a selection to me. I wouldn't mind any of the characters rip funky but I'm not gonna just accept that's who we'll get and end it at just that. :4jigglypuff:You believe in palm reading, I'll just believe in daddy sakurai.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Yeah. For Sakurai you have

1. Relevancy

Or

2. Retro

There is no inbetween
It's gonna be weird in fifty years when Nintendo still doesn't consider anything SNES or newer retro.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
When I first played Ruby when I was like 10 I picked mudkip. I still remember when I evolved Marshtomp into Swampert, I immediately restarted my game because I was so disgusted. Even 10 year old me knew Swampert was ugly :x

Just joking don't kill me

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Anyways, it was a weird pronunciation for sure. Something like Chrong I think. After clarifying it was a yes though.

I had Impa on my initial list of characters to ask for, but I forgot in the hype.
Ah that's fair lol. If you don't mind me asking, you said her readings for you were accurate, what were some of the things she got right?

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
When I first played Ruby when I was like 10 I picked mudkip. I still remember when I evolved Marshtomp into Swampert, I immediately restarted my game because I was so disgusted. Even 10 year old me knew Swampert was ugly :x

I'm sorry. It is time for you to die. Swampert slander is not allowed.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ah that's fair lol. If you don't mind me asking, you said her readings for you were accurate, what were some of the things she got right?
A lot of **** in my past that I need to let go, even the nature of that **** being illusions (I saw things differently than everyone else, and because of that ended up making life difficult for myself), the fact that I'm a social person (a difficult thing to read given that the last two years I've been the opposite of that).

Sorry, seems pretty biased of a selection to me. I wouldn't mind any of the characters rip funky but I'm not gonna just accept that's who we'll get and end it at just that. :4jigglypuff:You believe in palm reading, I'll just believe in daddy sakurai.
The most my aunt knows about Nintendo is Pokemon Go. I had to explain to her that Smash Ultimate is a video game because she has no clue what it is.

I'm not saying to accept it, it was really more for fun than anything, and it's probably not all of our characters, but don't please think it's biased or anything.

We'll see how it goes come December I guess.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

Thou hath commited treason. I'm afraid there is only one cure for disliking Swampert's design. Cleanse yourself with this video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom