• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Someone posited that if you make the Character select screen 12x6 spaces, with the 66 known fighters and the random button, adding seven more fighters would make the CSS a complete rectangle.

I don't put much stock into the theory, myself.
Why in the world is this being treated like a factor?
Character_selection_melee.png

Enchess

Smash Lord
Wario missed Shoulder bash in 4, DK didn't have roll until 4, Sheik doesn't even have harp as taunt, You've already mentioned Dorf, Charizard didn't have seismic toss in Brawl.
Like mentioned above, more well known characters lack or lacked iconic moves or things. While Rool used blunderbuss in one game.
Fair points. I guess I just don't see him getting in if he's not (1) a gadget/trap character using moves from all games/personas, or (2) a semi-clone of Bowser. Why go through the trouble of making him a fully unique fighter if you aren't going to use his established pool of moves? Like, as different as Ridley is from the way fans imagined him, at least he has the fireballs and tail stab. It'd be really strange for K Rool's only move from the game to be crown throw and maybe bounce (pretty much the most that'll 'look right')

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Pokémon technically doesn’t have 10 characters since the:ivysaur::charizard::squirtle: trio attated to :ultpokemontrainer: strictly count as one character
Interesting question - they share one roster slot, but will they be counted as one for the whole game? Brawl's All-Star mode did ask you to fight all three, and if they were selected as an enemy in Classic, they were selected as individual Pokémon ("Versus...Giant IVYSAUR!").

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pokemon picks are a complete crapshoot this time around. Last time we could say that a Gen 6 Pokemon would be in (even if we pegged Hawlucha instead) but now, it can be Gen 7, Gen 8 or for all we know Sakurai took inspiration from ORAS instead and we'll get a Gen 3 Pokemon
Unless you're taking DLC into consideration I seriously can't see where this is coming from.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Unless you're taking DLC into consideration I seriously can't see where this is coming from.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Game Freak going all in on this new Mystery Pokemon, waiting for DLC and not having a new Pokemon in the base roster.

It could happen.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Pokemon picks are a complete crapshoot this time around. Last time we could say that a Gen 6 Pokemon would be in (even if we pegged Hawlucha instead) but now, it can be Gen 7, Gen 8 or for all we know Sakurai took inspiration from ORAS instead and we'll get a Gen 3 Pokemon
Oh man, imagine if we got Blaziken. I'd be totally down for that.

Also I doubt Gen 8 was considered, but if Sakurai were serious about adding a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC, he might skip out on a new Pokemon in the base game entirely.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Interesting question - they share one roster slot, but will they be counted as one for the whole game? Brawl's All-Star mode did ask you to fight all three, and if they were selected as an enemy in Classic, they were selected as individual Pokémon ("Versus...Giant IVYSAUR!").
They count as 3. Brawl counted them as 3 (can check the fighter count under records) and the Ultimate fighter's list counts them as 3 (the about page counts them as one but this deviates from the numbering everyhwere else).

So Pokemon has 9 characters
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm pretty sure Disney owns Sora, which pretty much makes his inclusion impossible as far as I'm concerned.
This is a bit of an old post now, but I felt the need to address this blatantly incorrect information. Sora has as much of a chance as any other character, there's just one more small hoop for Sakurai to jump through with Normura. If Disney sees fan demand, they are willing to work with Sakurai so long as Normura approves (which he would). Look up HMK's video on it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yes and No. According to the website each of those Pokémon characters get to have their own appearance number, but are still a third of one character (it’s the opposite to the echoes, where they get their own slot but share the same number as the person they’re copying)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Any hope for Wonder Red?
I could see it happening. The Wonderful 101 may not have lit the world on fire, but as Bayonetta shows, it seems fairly straightforward for a character's moveset to make a transition from a Platinum game to Smash Bros. Plus, it seems like the type of relatively-lesser-known game that Sakurai might want to shine some light on, like Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, or (outside of Japan, at least) Earthbound.

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
But marketing does.

The baby starters, Rockruff, Tapu Koko and Mimikyu were pushed heavily in Sun and Moon promoting alongside Nihilego.

The starter's final evos were kept hidden until launch.
To be fair, the starters final evos were leaked before Tapu Koko and Mimikyu were even announced as well, Hell, we even got Marshadow's name right from the beginning of Gen 7 coverage lol

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that a new Pokemon is needed. It's fine if we get a new one, but it's not necessary.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So then is impossible for Disney to have Bowser in a movie.
View attachment 150014
Not at all.

Disney is far, FAR more protective of their properties than Nintendo is. There’s a reason they’ve LITERALLY CHANGE government laws to keep Mickey Mouse from falling into the public domain, which should have happened a long time ago by now.

Nintendo on the other hand allows other companies to work on their properties and even experiment with them. They also allow their characters to fight each other which has already been shown by Disney that they won’t allow the same thing.

So, Nintendo sharing with Disney is cool, not the other way around, at least so far.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Not sure if I've seen this discussed here, but when thinking about the potential newcomers for this game, I've noticed that quite a lot of the time people are looking at adding more reps to existing franchises, when I always felt that newcomers in Smash were about representing new IPs.

We've got the Inklings for Splatoon so far in SSBU but how many more fresh IPs, at least in the base game, do you think we can expect to see?

And if so, what IPs would you be interested in seeing, more from Nintendo's first party stuff as opposed to third party as you'd expect Nintendo to prioritize their own franchises first.

To nobody's surprise, I just want to see Golden Sun represented, as the GBA era's been under-repped with playable characters, but what are your thoughts?

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if I've seen this discussed here, but when thinking about the potential newcomers for this game, I've noticed that quite a lot of the time people are looking at adding more reps to existing franchises, when I always felt that newcomers in Smash were about representing new IPs.

We've got the Inklings for Splatoon so far in SSBU but how many more fresh IPs, at least in the base game, do you think we can expect to see?

And if so, what IPs would you be interested in seeing, more from Nintendo's first party stuff as opposed to third party as you'd expect Nintendo to prioritize their own franchises first.

To nobody's surprise, I just want to see Golden Sun represented, as the GBA era's been under-repped with playable characters, but what are your thoughts?
Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment....er where does Yokai Watch stand?

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I was just looking at the Smash site and realized we haven't seen a newcomer from Legend of Zelda since Brawl (Toon Link). I know we've been going on about Donkey Kong being in the same boat (in an arguably even worse, under-represented way), but Zelda is one of Nintendo's top performers. I really hope it gets some love this time around, outside of Young Link's return. Really gives me some higher hopes for the likes of Impa.

Shroob

Sup?

I think it comes down to that there's still several series yet to reach their max potential in Smash(DK, Wario, AC), while guessing new franchises usually comes down to "What games came out within the last few years".

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm personally on the train where we have another Greninja situation or Sakurai decided to stick with fan demand and will consider Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Red, and Leaf enough Pokemon fanservice for one game (on top of the several stages, whole items dedicated to the many Pokemon, etc.), or preferably until DLC.

Gen 3 is also possible but with Sun and Moon so close I don't think The Pokemon Company would say yeah just go with Gen 3. I feel like they would encourage Gen 7 because its their newest upcoming thing. So while I recognize Gen 3 is possible, I feel like the Greninja thing is more likely.

I really want a Gen 7 mon but Pokemon got more than enough this game and I don't feel that Pokemon fans have a right to complain if they choose to skip Gen 7. I'm still gonna be hella sad but I wouldn't be able to complain about it.

Edit: I don't know I just look at the DK fan's posts and the Metroid fan's posts and I think about wanting a 10th Pokemon and I feel....kinda bad actually. :laugh: I still would sacrifice all their tears for Mimikyu, don't get me wrong, but other series deserve some love, too.

Last edited:

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
Yokai Watch is weird to me since I have no clue where it stands in the fanbase or if it's actually requested in any way.
Yeah, I know it's HUGE in Japan, but here in the West its kind of under the watch, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of recognition with Jibanyan (since it is the main face I feel like)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So today I went to get a tarot reading from my aunt, who's highly experienced in astrology (she's a certified shaman and more). My readings were surprisingly accurate and useful to vouch for her credibility.

I decided to go out on a limb and see if she could comment on potential Smash newcomers, and sure enough, she could. I asked about a couple of characters, and here's what she and the astral plane had to say:

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Chrom - initially no, but she mispronounced his name, and after further searching, yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - unsure

Lip - yes

Take this all with a large grain of salt, but I think it'll be fun to see if these characters get in or not.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm personally on the train where we have another Greninja situation or Sakurai decided to stick with fan demand and will consider Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Red, and Leaf enough Pokemon fanservice for one game (on top of the several stages, whole items dedicated to the many Pokemon, etc.), or preferably until DLC.

Gen 3 is also possible but with Sun and Moon so close I don't think The Pokemon Company would say yeah just go with Gen 3. I feel like they would encourage Gen 7 because its their newest upcoming thing. So while I recognize Gen 3 is possible, I feel like the Greninja thing is more likely.

I really want a Gen 7 mon but Pokemon got more than enough this game and I don't feel that Pokemon fans have a right to complain if they choose to skip Gen 7. I'm still gonna be hella sad but I wouldn't be able to complain about it.
He might go with a Gen 3 Pokemon if no Gen 7 Pokemon interest him.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
So today I went to get a tarot reading from my aunt, who's highly experienced in astrology (she's a certified shaman and more). My readings were surprisingly accurate and useful to vouch for her credibility.

I decided to go out on a limb and see if she could comment on potential Smash newcomers, and sure enough, she could. I asked about a couple of characters, and here's what she and the astral plane had to say:

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Chrom - initially no, but she mispronounced his name, and after further searching, yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - yes

Lip - yes

Take this all with a large grain of salt, but I think it'll be fun to see if these characters get in or not.
Smh, no Isaac. That being said, that sounds like a pretty nice roster of yesses.

Shroob

Sup?

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - yes

Lip - yes

Why does it make me chuckle the palm reader is a big yes to the witch.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832

I want to see chibi-robo so bad but I know that he has such a low low chance of making it. I an sad for my good robot pal.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - yes

Lip - yes

Being originally from Louisiana and super into spiritual stuff like this, I find this incredibly interesting, haha. Any particular reason why Ashley is a BIG yes?

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
He might go with a Gen 3 Pokemon if no Gen 7 Pokemon interest him.
In theory yes, but that goes the other way around too. The point kinda suffocates itself especially since we don't know Sakurai's favorite Pokemon.

I said Gen 3 is possible and it is, I just think the other options are more likely.

daddledingo

Smash Cadet
NNID
lucamaltese1
3DS FC
0276-3432-5975
Switch FC
SW-5490-4392-0531
So, I know I sound like a broken record but I think king k rool has a fair chance of getting in this time, I mean this game is basically fan service. We have Ridley. Almost anything goes.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Fair points. I guess I just don't see him getting in if he's not (1) a gadget/trap character using moves from all games/personas, or (2) a semi-clone of Bowser. Why go through the trouble of making him a fully unique fighter if you aren't going to use his established pool of moves? Like, as different as Ridley is from the way fans imagined him, at least he has the fireballs and tail stab. It'd be really strange for K Rool's only move from the game to be crown throw and maybe bounce (pretty much the most that'll 'look right')
You pretty much got I was getting at, in that Sakurai might not see the same potential as fans, because of K Rool's inconsistency in betrayal.
Like his first game he fights on a pirate ship, but it's his second game where he's actually a Pirate

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I don't think that a new Pokemon is needed. It's fine if we get a new one, but it's not necessary.
I mean...no character is "necessary". The game could ship as is, there is no criteria on newcomers that must be met.

So I don't think Sakurai will look at who is "necessary" but past games have shown he likes including new Pokemon.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

Sora - no

K. Rool - yes

Dixie Kong - yes

Elma - yes

Ashley - big yes

Geno - yes

Simon Belmont - yes

Bandana Dee - yes

Dark Samus - yes

Funky Kong - no

Ray-man - yes

Lip - yes

I don't believe in psuedoscience but I want to believe this. It actually sounds a little too good to be true, though.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Why are we thinking Sakurai would pick a gen 3 mon? I know they're popular but it's been 15 years...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom