• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I hope there's either a tournament mode or an input to unlock all the characters and stages. Unlocking characters is fun and all, but it's going to make getting tournament setups a nightmare if we have to unlock everything on every console. Imagine having to unlock 50+ characters for every single EVO setup :p
Speaking of tournaments, I hope they bring back online tournaments but make them more seasonal and give them some worth. It would be a pain to plan, but give people a week's notice and a start time and it could work. Not sure what prizes they could hand out, mind.

D

Deleted member

Zero Soul's dumb opinion time: Speaking of Pokemon, I think Decidueye has the greatest chance of any Gen 7 Pokemon, not because of marketing, not because of Pokken, not because he's grass type or an archer, but purely because of my subjective thoughts on Sakurai's subjective tastes, if he chose Greninja over the other starters I think he'd choose Decidueye if given concept art, because he's the one who appeals to the same demographic Greninja did, he's the cool and mysterious one, and I unironically think Sakurai will choose him just because of that.
So tl;dr Sakurai will choose Decidueye because he's a man of culture as well?
This is the best timeline.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If it's gonna come down to Pokemon TPC were banking on from the start, then the big ones are Mimikyu, Rowlet and Lycanroc.

Genuinely think we're sleeping on Rowlet here. It usurped its own evolution and blew up immediately upon reveal.
I feel that all three of those Pokemon are highly doubtful. And Buzzwole's chances don't look too good either, assuming that concept art for it wasn't available until after December 2015.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I hope there's either a tournament mode or an input to unlock all the characters and stages. Unlocking characters is fun and all, but it's going to make getting tournament setups a nightmare if we have to unlock everything on every console. Imagine having to unlock 50+ characters for every single EVO setup :p

Maybe that's Nintendo's way of punishing Mr. Wiz for being such an *** to the Smash community lmao
Sakurai seems intent on making it known the characters won't be too hard to unlock. Even Smash 4 only took like, a day to get everyone.

Stages are probably another story, though.

Besides, if we didn't have stuff to unlock, I'd have no motivation to play single player.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
...yes, they absolutely did.

Rowlet only started getting special treatment later.
If all those Rowlet sleeping on Ash's bag merch that happened right after its debut episode aired isn't indicative of TPC having foresight on how popular it'll get, don't know what to tell you. That's only one example.
I feel like if Rowlet was planned to be promoted so early on, Sakurai would opt for Decidueye due to having a body type tgat's much easier to work with for Smash.
Also why I think Decidueye and Incineroar are the likeliest choices right now.
That's the thing too, yeah. Ultimately we don't know if TPC's planned marketing was gonna influence the roster or anything, that's why I said if, and even if it did it doesn't count those two out. Deci's still Rowlet's evo, and Incineroar's got a bright future ahead of it. It's also got the Tiger Mask appeal, to boot.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Confused by the Minecraft thing. Why are people saying Smash is getting Minecraft content now, as if it was confirmed by that video? We're already known about this for weeks, if not months... Or are you guys just joking around and I missed something?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pretty sure Litten had the whole Stoutland arc going on so it wasn't really treated as the cute mascot pokemon during the start of the Sun and Moon anime. Popplio though... I don't really remember what they did with it, I guess it had the whole balloon thing going on with Lana so I suppose that counts.

Eitherway, doesn't Sakurai usually have a placeholder for series like Pokemon (and Fire Emblem) until he's certain which Pokemon to pick?

D

Deleted member

If all those Rowlet sleeping on Ash's bag merch that happened right after its debut episode aired isn't indicative of TPC having foresight on how popular it'll get, don't know what to tell you. That's only one example.
Define "right after its debut episode".
Methinks your definition doesn't match mine.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Litten had the whole Stoutland arc going on so it wasn't really treated as the cute mascot pokemon during the start of the Sun and Moon anime. Popplio though... I don't really remember what they did with it, I guess it had the whole balloon thing going on with Lana so I suppose that counts.

Eitherway, doesn't Sakurai usually have a placeholder for series like Pokemon (and Fire Emblem) until he's certain which Pokemon to pick?
Yes he does. That is what he did for Smash 4 where he wrote “Pokémon from X and Y” until he was given information on the Pokémon he was suggested and picked.

That’s what I feel will happen for Gen 7 as well, but since it’s release date is MUCH closer, Game Freak already established all of it’s Pokémon and finalized all of their art, concepts, fighting styles, personality, and who’d they want to push. So Sakurai won’t really go blind folded when it comes to selecting a Pokémon for this game, unlike Smash 4 where when he selected Greninja it was still a year away from release and not everything was done yet.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Confused by the Minecraft thing. Why are people saying Smash is getting Minecraft content now, as if it was confirmed by that video? We're already known about this for weeks, if not months... Or are you guys just joking around and I missed something?
Which video are you talking about?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Zero Soul's dumb opinion time: Speaking of Pokemon, I think Decidueye has the greatest chance of any Gen 7 Pokemon, not because of marketing, not because of Pokken, not because he's grass type or an archer, but purely because of my subjective thoughts on Sakurai's subjective tastes, if he chose Greninja over the other starters I think he'd choose Decidueye if given concept art, because he's the one who appeals to the same demographic Greninja did, he's the cool and mysterious one, and I unironically think Sakurai will choose him just because of that.
I mean, Sakurai does definitely have a type, and that type is the cool/edgy/mysterious type.

I mean hell his favorite Fire Emblem character is Navarre, who started the franchise's "stoic, mysterious, edgy myrmidon" archetype. On the 3DS version, the Awakening character trophies included popular characters who won fan polls (Owain, Inigo, Cordelia, Gaius), plot important characters (Lissa, Tiki, Validar), the ever-recurring Anna...and Lon'qu, who falls into Navarre's archetype.

And not to mention he made Meta Knight and Dark Pit.

Just saying, Sakurai has a type. Granted Decidueye being that "type" is more of a facade, but still.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yes he does. That is what he did for Smash 4 where he wrote “Pokémon from X and Y” until he was given information on the Pokémon he was suggested and picked.

That’s what I feel will happen for Gen 7 as well, but since it’s release date is MUCH closer, Game Freak already established all of it’s Pokémon and finalized all of their art, concepts, fighting styles, personality, and who’d they want to push. So Sakurai won’t really go blind folded when it comes to selecting a Pokémon for this game, unlike Smash 4 where when he selected Greninja it was still a year away from release and not everything was done yet.
I might be misunderstanding you but I'm not sure if you saw Sakurai confirmed his project plan for Ultimate started in December 2015. That was a year before Pokemon Sun and Moon (November 2016).

I think there was a little more time with Smash 4 (I believe Summer 2012 - Oct 2013). But that's still a relatively simialr situation.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Hey forget Samus v Master Chief or Samus v Mega Man...

We finally get a proper Samus v Ridley in Smash Bros!!

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Define "right after its debut episode".
Methinks your definition doesn't match mine.
Well crap, I got my timing completely on that one now that I looked it up lol.

Still, quick look and I'm definitely finding more 2016 merch for Rowlet than the other starters, who only got merch that are starter themed in general from what I found, whereas Rowlet get some extra love.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Hey forget Samus v Master Chief or Samus v Mega Man...

We finally get a proper Samus v Ridley in Smash Bros!!
I mean, to be fair, Ridley's boss fights in Brawl and to a lesser extent 4 were about as "Proper" Samus V Ridley as it gets.

I know what you mean though, of course.

D

Deleted member

Well crap, I got my timing completely on that one now that I looked it up lol.

Still, quick look and I'm definitely finding more 2016 merch for Rowlet than the other starters, who only got merch that are starter themed in general from what I found, whereas Rowlet get some extra love.
Where are you looking, Pokémon Center?

That doesn't cover everything.
Pokeshopper keeps tabs on a lot more.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I might be misunderstanding you but I'm not sure if you saw Sakurai confirmed his project plan for Ultimate started in December 2015. That was a year before Pokemon Sun and Moon (November 2016).

I think there was a little more time with Smash 4 (I believe Summer 2012 - Oct 2013). But that's still a relatively simialr situation.
Greninja wasn’t planned from the start either, he merely put a placeholder until he had more info readily which still wasn’t done.

It doesn’t matter if it started in December 2015, the fact of the matter that Sakurai most likley put a place holder for a Gen 7 Pokemon until he can concrete information from the Pokémon that he is suggested so he doesn’t have to make a gamble like he did last time.

That’s why I still don’t buy the concept art theory everyone has right now. It makes more sense for Sakurai to wait and get more info that is set in stone than making a gamble, especially since there will still be 2 years of development time left until this game is released when Pokémon Sun and Moon is released.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, Sakurai does definitely have a type, and that type is the cool/edgy/mysterious type.

I mean hell his favorite Fire Emblem character is Navarre, who started the franchise's "stoic, mysterious, edgy myrmidon" archetype. On the 3DS version, the Awakening character trophies included popular characters who won fan polls (Owain, Inigo, Cordelia, Gaius), plot important characters (Lissa, Tiki, Validar), the ever-recurring Anna...and Lon'qu, who falls into Navarre's archetype.

And not to mention he made Meta Knight and Dark Pit.

Just saying, Sakurai has a type. Granted Decidueye being that "type" is more of a facade, but still.
He also has other types:
Heroic gluttons who hardly are the started guys around; Pit and Kirby
Trolls; Dedede and Palutena
Eldrich abominations
Manly, burning guys like Roy and Captain Falcon

Actually it's pretty fun when he changes pre-existing characters to his own preferences.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I honestly don't understand why this is a debate on whether we get a new pokemon character or not, and what gen they come from.

Nothing any of us say will do anything to impact the base roster at this point, so all we can do is wait and see. I mean seriously, only a few months until we have the game, so I can't imagine it taking too long for us to find out if there is a new pokemon character or not.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Amazon currently has the official Nintendo GC Adapter for the Switch to be released on the 31st...but the game comes out weeks earlier. What's an alternate solution to this? I hear the Mayflash can be a bit glitchy and there is that unknown factor in how it will play with Smash.

D

Deleted member

I honestly don't understand why this is a debate on whether we get a new pokemon character or not, and what gen they come from.

Nothing any of us say will do anything to impact the base roster at this point, so all we can do is wait and see. I mean seriously, only a few months until we have the game, so I can't imagine it taking too long for us to find out if there is a new pokemon character or not.
At the same time, you could say that about basucally any newcomer.
Just saying. I can sympathize with your position, but it's very anti-speculation. You can't have an interesting discussion with it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

When I realize Smash Ultimate releases the week of my Fall Semester finals, I don't think of it as a "few" months DX lol

D

Deleted member

Is metal Sonic even a possibility as a new character he could be slightly heavier and slightly slower and could shoot missiles

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Amazon currently has the official Nintendo GC Adapter for the Switch to be released on the 31st...but the game comes out weeks earlier. What's an alternate solution to this? I hear the Mayflash can be a bit glitchy and there is that unknown factor in how it will play with Smash.
Switch Pro Controller

At the same time, you could say that about basucally any newcomer.
Just saying. I can sympathize with your position, but it's very anti-speculation. You can't have an interesting discussion with it.
I mean speculation is fine, but debates on speculation? That's where it goes a little too far into left field imo.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'll let this picture speak for itself. :p
View attachment 149408
Part 5 confirmed for Ultimate.

Is metal Sonic even a possibility as a new character he could be slightly heavier and slightly slower and could shoot missiles
I can see Metal as an Echo. He'd be my preference echo to Sonic rather than Shadow, in all honesty.

But as a unique fighter? Naw. And Shadow would absolutely be the top priority echo of the two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom