• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It seems we have all forgotten the fact that
1. ZERO SUIT SAMUS'S TASER HAS BECOME AN ELECTRIC WHIP-GUN.
2. ZERO SUIT SAMUS HAS ROCKET BOOTS

Which I would personally say is a bigger departure from the character than not jumping.
Nah the biggest departure was :ultfalcon:'s everything.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
People can't even make up a compelling reason against a Pokemon newcomer.
We already have 9 Pokemon and if the roster was decided in late 2015 then Sakurai had to choose between a new pokemon character, knowing he would bring 3 back anyway, or just cutting Gen 7 off and going with another ballot pick.

Thats two in my book. "Compelling" is subjective anyway.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Okay but what about the fact that ROB is a real world toy that doesn't do anything and is now some militarized space weapon of mass destruction.
Reminder that R.O.B. led his entire species to near sacrificial extinction and he will die alone as the last of his kind. :4rob:

Graizen

Smash Champion
People can talk whatever they want, but Steve would be an extremely unique and very creative character. This is something that really should give value and chances for him to get into Smash.

Moreover he is known worldwide at such enormous levels that none of us can understand. The fact that his popularity would make Smash Ultimate a gigantic success, even greater than it already is, is undeniable.

And look at the love between Nintendo and Xbox happening again:

D

Deleted member

My money for a Pokemon newcomer is probably on Lycanroc, but that's mostly out of bias because I love Lycanroc's Midnight form and would love to play as it.

I wouldn't mind Mimikyu either, though. I also wouldn't mind one of the Topus.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People can talk whatever they want, but Steve would be an extremely unique and very creative character. This is something that really should give value and chances for him to get into Smash.

Moreover he is known worldwide at such enormous levels that none of us can understand. The fact that his popularity would make Smash Ultimate a gigantic success, even greater than it already is, is undeniable.

I got no problems with Steve in Smash, people will just be either really upset to the point where they won't touch the game, really hype (for the little kids and the $$ eyes in minecraft youtubers), or just indifferent. I'd be indifferent.

I don't know what the Japanese's consensus on Minecraft is, though.

UserKev

Smash Champion

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
This interests me.

Characters with pretty much bull **** made up Movesets: :ultfalcon::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultsheik::pit::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultwolf:
Characters whose Movesets take inspiration from the little available to them: :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultzelda:

I haven't played all games represented in Smash, but I think this is a pretty good representation of Sakurai being able to make up **** or fill gaps if needed.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I get the feeling that Sakurai's way of addressing the demand for a playable Toad was by having Toad be more involved in Peach's/Daisy's moveset. Of course Captain Toad is his own character, and you can totally have Captain Toad coexist with the Toad in Peach's moveset, but I just don't see it happening right now.

I would love to be wrong though, because Captain Toad is one of my most wanted characters.
It could go either way. If Captain Toad isn't playable then yeah, Toad's upgrade from Meatshield to actually helping on a level closer to Rosalina's luma (Though definitely not as much seeing as Toad won't always be on the battlefield and respawning) could be seen as consolation. More respect for the little guy.

But imagine if Captain Toad does make it, then that would mean the upgrade the Toad in Peach's moveset got was more of a hint then a deterrent that a Toad fighter is possible. Reminder that the Toad that Peach uses and Captain Toad are separate characters. That's been established before I believe. Plus one of the promotional images on the Smash website could definitely have Captain Toad next to the Toad that's in Peach's moveset for a little bit of cheekiness.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I got no problems with Steve in Smash, people will just be either really upset to the point where they won't touch the game, really hype (for the little kids and the $$ eyes in minecraft youtubers), or just indifferent. I'd be indifferent.

I don't know what the Japanese's consensus on Minecraft is, though.
Oh, the people who wouldn't touch the game because of a SINGLE character they don't like in a 70+ roster weren't going to buy the game anyway
Eww, yuck. You again.

Bye Felicia.

Good for you.
I know you mean you blocked me again but that makes me wonder why you unblocked me in the first place

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Reminder that R.O.B. led his entire species to near sacrificial extinction and he will die alone as the last of his kind. :4rob:
Reminder that, if you played through the bomb factory section of The Great Maze as R.O.B., he destroyed the other last remaining members of his species with his own hands.

The sorrows he hides under his plastic exterior must be immeasurable.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
A. He doesn't need to jump.

B. If Sakurai wanted him to jump, he could have him do so. It's no stranger than Ness using PK Fire and the like. Hell, Link couldn't jump in most games when he was included either.
I could 100% see Cpt Toad just having a not great jump, as a call back to mario bros 2.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
This interests me.

Characters with pretty much bull **** made up Movesets: :ultfalcon::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultsheik::ultpit::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultwolf:
Movesets barely based on things they may or may not do in their game: :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultroy::ultzelda::ultgnw:

I haven't played all games represented in Smash, but I think this is a pretty good representation of Sakurai being able to make up **** or fill gaps if needed.
Peach DOES do the things in her moveset. The only clamor I saw to revamp her was due to Vibe Powers. Everything else is mostly true to her.

Zelda has only ever arched and sealed in canon though, so hers is definitely mostly imaginative.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Imadethistoseealeak said:
Movesets barely based on things they may or may not do in their game: :ultgnw:
I'm sorry, what? Literally every move Game and Watch has is directly from his games.

I'm using literally literally.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

I REALLY think you're over-estimating how much that would matter. Minecraft and Smash are diametrically opposite on the scale of the type of game they are, so I have serious doubts that people who don't already play Smash Bros will suddenly be converted by Steve.

All personal feelings aside, he's really not that important of a character in the grand scheme of things, even in his own game. He's the blocky avatar in the game equivalent of playing with LEGO.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If they do put Steve in, I just hope they don't make his block limbs curve and bend, that'd be so unsettling to see. :laugh: The thought reminds me of those creepy animations where they have tiny nub fingers and those hyper-realistic eyes.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I REALLY think you're over-estimating how much that would matter. Minecraft and Smash are diametrically opposite on the scale of the type of game they are, so I have serious doubts that people who don't already play Smash Bros will suddenly be converted by Steve.

All personal feelings aside, he's really not that important of a character in the grand scheme of things, even in his own game. He's the blocky avatar in the game equivalent of playing with LEGO.
What? Please rethink all that.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
*Smash 4 Ridley beak flashbacks*
He's totally gonna bend and everything
If it's not worse than the already existing Steve skin for Link, then I guess it'll be tolerable.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
This interests me.

Characters with pretty much bull **** made up Movesets: :ultfalcon::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultsheik::ultpit::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultwolf:
Movesets barely based on things they may or may not do in their game: :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultroy::ultzelda::ultgnw:

I'm gonna nerd out and say Marth does have some inspiration from both his games animations and FE4/5 Swordmaster animations, he's kind of an interesting FE SNES animation hodgepodge. His stabs and ftilt being from his own game animations in Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light and Mystery of the Emblem

His recovery (Dolphin Slash) is even the critical animation that Swordmasters do among several other basic swings, Dancing Blade could be infered to be a nod to a skill like Astra or having a Brave/Master Sword, counter being a universal FE mechanic because of how the games work, shield breaker being part of his own afformentioned animations in Mystery.

The rest of his kit is made by Sakurai though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Steve really isn't that big of a character. He's just an avatar. Minecraft also has a reputation amongst gamers and I'm afraid that it will spill over into Smash if he gets in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I know that when I was a kid and started hearing about Brawl I was upset because I didn't have a Wii and my mother was strict with age ratings at the time. I was allowed to buy Melee but I looked at the box, went "Oh cool I get to play as Snorlax!" because the box was French and I didn't know about the Poke Balls but ultimately chose not to buy it because it didn't have Sonic. Who were these 'Link', 'Samus' and 'Fox' people? Whoever they were, they weren't nearly as cool as Sonic to me

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Peach DOES do the things in her moveset. The only clamor I saw to revamp her was due to Vibe Powers. Everything else is mostly true to her.

Zelda has only ever arched and sealed in canon though, so hers is definitely mostly imaginative.
That's fair. I was pointing to moves such as her hip check, but probably like 75% of her Moveset comes from source material. I'm keeping Daisy there though because as a clone she doesn't really do any if those things in her own games...
I'm sorry, what? Literally every move Game and Watch has is directly from his games.

I'm using literally literally.
I added him last simply because it was hard to judge buttttttt you're right. Fixing that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Steve really isn't that big of a character. He's just an avatar. Minecraft also has a reputation amongst gamers and I'm afraid that it will spill over into Smash if he gets in.
The Smash fanbase just dealt with people sending the series creator death threats and compared him to Hitler for not including a meme character. I'm pretty sure literal children joining the fanbase aren't going to be a problem

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm gonna nerd out and say Marth does have some inspiration from both his games animations and FE4/5 Swordmaster animations, he's kind of an interesting FE SNES animation hodgepodge. His stabs and ftilt being from his own game animations in Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light and Mystery of the Emblem

His recovery (Dolphin Slash) is even the critical animation that Swordmasters do among several other basic swings, Dancing Blade could be infered to be a nod to a skill like Astra or having a Brave/Master Sword, counter being a universal FE mechanic because of how the games work, shield breaker being part of his own afformentioned animations in Mystery.

I was going to mention this too. Marth takes a surprising amount directly from Fire Emblem.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Steve really isn't that big of a character. He's just an avatar..
First of all, :ultmiifighters: would like a word with you.
Second, Steve is a representation of probably the most influential game of the 2000s and 2010s. Minecraft has worldwide effects, and as a representation of that, he holds a pretty big title.

Minecraft also has a reputation amongst gamers and I'm afraid that it will spill over into Smash if he gets in.
Your audience should never hold you back from being rightfully represented. Never.

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
As far as Pokemon goes, I doubt we'll see a newcomer in the base game, but if we do I believe it will be a Gen 8 Pokemon. They are distributing a "never before seen" Pokemon in Let's Go which comes out in November, which at this point would only make sense to be a "new" Pokemon, even if it is just a new form. So if we don't see a Gen 8 Pokemon on release, I think we will at least see one as DLC. Any Pokemon previous to Gen 8... I don't see it happening personally.

And I also don't think Captain Toad will be playable, as much as I would like him to be. Not because of Toad being part of Peach's moveset and not because he can't canonically jump, but just because he doesn't come across as a high priority character to me, especially given that his games are casual spinoff puzzle games.

Steve just straight up won't happen. But I wouldn't be mad if he did.

(my opinions)

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
What? Please rethink all that.
I have reconsidered, and still stand by what I said.

:ultdoc::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:

Neither are a lot of characters in Smash. That alone is not a valid argument against the character's inclusion.
Are you trying to tell me Dr. Mario is not an important character in DR. MARIO? Game & Watch isn't noteworthy in the GAME & WATCH series? :laugh:

I'll give you Villager/Miis falling into a similar "avatar" category though.
At least you see those characters all the time. Minecraft is first person, so no one really sees or knows Steve's name when playing.

Plus rules for third parties are a little different than Nintendo clones/retros so far.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

You're totally right I forgot. I've renamed that section to make it more fitting.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
First of all, :ultmiifighters: would like a word with you.
Second, Steve is a representation of probably the most influential game of the 2000s and 2010s. Minecraft has worldwide effects, and as a representation of that, he holds a pretty big title.

Your audience should never hold you back from being rightfully represented. Never.
But still, Minecraft is owned by a competitor. Including him would be free advertising for the XBox One. In order for him to get in, Microsoft must completely pull out of the console market and become a third party developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom