• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, Dr. Mario is nothing more than a UI element in his game. Not the person you’re responding to, but no, I wouldn’t consider him important in the game. He’s as important as the coin counter in Super Mario.

Mr. Game & Watch didn’t even exist prior to Smash and is an amalgation of various characters. So in that sense: no, he isn’t noteworthy either.
I think someone used to make a similar argument against Duck Hunt Dog when I was championing for him. He said that Duck Hunt Dog is just a game over screen.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Man, imagine if the Creeper were playable (easily the most famous mine craft character on it's own)? What moveset would it even have? Or the Endermen as an honorable second mention (with teleportation).
But with Steve (who has far less of a reputation than either), there's so many more move set options. I really don't know how it would work out.
Creepers blowing up on people, we could finally have Smash do the Yamcha & Saibaman death in a crater meme. (As much as I do actually like Yamcha as a character in DB).

I mean Wolfs stance is exactly like one of Yamchas from Dragon Ball, there is a CONNECTION HERE I SWEAR.

5808437eab124bfa0aa2679c8679f41f.png

Pakky

Smash Hero
Man, imagine if the Creeper were playable (easily the most famous mine craft character on it's own)? What moveset would it even have? Or the Endermen as an honorable second mention (with teleportation).
But with Steve (who has far less of a reputation than either), there's so many more move set options. I really don't know how it would work out.
Well they do become super charged when struck by lighting.

Skeleton's could be summon able to shoot arrows.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I would honestly love and could see both Creeper and Endermen as Assist Trophies, whether or not we get a minecraft playable character.

Also, ender pearls would be a great smash item.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
You are severely underestimating the breadth and reach of Minecraft. I would say it's probably the most important game launched past the year 2000. Name one that reached a bigger audience? The only thing I can think of is maybe Wii Sports. Minecraft is playable on pretty much everything that plays games.
Based on Wikipedia Minecraft is Bigger than Wii Sports (but smaller than the combined Wii-series).
I will grant you that, in terms of importance to minecraft itself, Steve isn't super high up there. But that's a different argument entirely.
Nah, I don't feel you can say there's anything in minecraft that's more important that Steve. pretty much everything else is just comon enemies and a few bosses. Creeper is more Assist/stage hazard kind of thing.

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
so, because I haven't seen this discussed as much as I feel it should, Sonicfox vs ZeRo? This will be a major event, and the outcome will decide smash's competitive future. My thoughts on how it could turn out are as follows,
best case scenario, ZeRo mops the floor with Sonicfox's face. This shows that smash is legitimate, and takes just as much skill and practice as any other fighter.
good case scenario, ZeRo wins narrowly. has the same effect as the first, just dampened.
Bad case scenario, Sonicfox wins narrowly. We lose some credibility, but Sonicfox is still Sonicfox and that means he's really good
Worst case scenario, Sonicfox wins by a mile, this way, smash loses all credibility it's gained as an esport, and it's means of getting it back are crippled if any old joe can whoop our top player, our game isn't one that requires skill

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Creepers blowing up on people, we could finally have Smash do the Yamcha & Saibaman death in a crater meme. (As much as I do actually like Yamcha as a character in DB).

I mean Wolfs stance is exactly like one of Yamchas from Dragon Ball, there is a CONNECTION HERE I SWEAR.

View attachment 149427
This reminds me of a meme with Wolf in the Yamcha Death/Failure pose
47A3F54A-C66F-4F69-AB68-89331813CC37.jpeg

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Just to be clear here, if Steve wasn't a character people cared about...

Minecraft.png

...then why on earth do they keep making so much goddamned merchandise of him?

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Just to be clear here, if Steve wasn't a character people cared about...

View attachment 149429

...then why on earth do they keep making so much goddamned merchandise of him?
In terms of popularity, Steve is only second best.
Look for Creeper merch: It's everywhere. Even in places where gaming merch isn't common you'll see creeper merch sometimes.
I tend to think Creeper would be relatively inclusive, but I wonder if there's a way/redesign that could make the creeper a playable character instead of Steve? Although Steve probably represents minecraft as a series better than the creeper does, it would be difficult to maintain minecraft's mechanics because destroyable terrain would be challenging in Super Smash bros.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
No. It would drive people away from Smash given the reputation that Minecraft has.
Dude, I'm quickly growing to hate the idea of Minecraft just from reading "Steve this" and "Minecraft that" over and over again but even I am unbiased enough to know thats bull****.

The six people they turn off from the game will be made up by the newcomers Steve's inclusion would bring easily. (It wouldn't be trillions of new players though....like seriously wtf is that number? Exaggerating is one thing but jeez.)

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I can't believe Smash speculation has evolved to the stage of debating whether Steve or a Creeper are a better representative for Minecraft. What a wild world we live in

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I can't believe Smash speculation has evolved to the stage of debating whether Steve or a Creeper are a better representative for Minecraft. What a wild world we live in
Better than people arguing over Pokemon or Xenoblade again tbh.

splat

Smash Lord
I think someone used to make a similar argument against Duck Hunt Dog when I was championing for him. He said that Duck Hunt Dog is just a game over screen.
I mean, in a way they’re not wrong. Many characters are - you could also argue that Peach used to be the ‘good ending’ game over screen. However, as your actions affect Duck Hunt Dog’s (Mr. Peepers, right?) actions, it’s not really fair. You cannot, on the other hand, interact with Doc. He tells you what to do and you better listen to him.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Steve's Final Smash, I imagine, would have him summoning all of the baddies from the game. (Or maybe all of the NPCS, even chickens). They would trample the other players who get caught in the initial animation. Either that or he'd chuck a huge stack of TNT and detonate it. (But I imagine TNT would be his Down Special move)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Both are wrong, imo.

A stage with a Creeper Assist Trophy is more than good enough :p

EDIT: Playable Steve does make sense though. I'm just not sure about it...

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I mean, in a way they’re not wrong. Many characters are - you could also argue that Peach used to be the ‘good ending’ game over screen. However, as your actions affect Duck Hunt Dog’s (Mr. Peepers, right?) actions, it’s not really fair. You cannot, on the other hand, interact with Doc. He tells you what to do and you better listen to him.
If you don't listen to Doc he'll just use his new Dair on you, while glaring at you from above.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
In terms of popularity, Steve is only second best.

Although Steve probably represents minecraft as a series better than the creeper does
You just countered your own point.

Obviously, the Creeper would appear in some form (likely an assist) if Minecraft were to be in the game. But Steve makes more sense as a playable fighter because he's a better representative of Minecraft as a whole.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Here's an idea for DLC I had floating around in my head.

Alternate Costume packs and no, not for Miis. For the other characters, they could make quite a bit of money if they released for example: the previous LoZ designs for Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Steve is pretty much in the same situation as Villager. Technically not the most popular in his series, But Is the Main/Player character and just works much better for moveset potential and representing the game.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Here's the problems I see with Steve as a playable character
1) He wouldn't be called Steve
It would be called something like Villager as an avatar character that could be customized. Think Villager and Inkling are examples the player is an avatar character but the character is in Smash bros. Steve would be the same way, maybe called a Minecraftian?
2) Destroying terrain is nearly impossible for every stage in Smash bros, but Generating terrain is possible
Creating Terrain is how this character would be implemented because destroying terrain would be nearly impossible
3) Animations or a possible redesign
Finding a way this character could be implemented and animated would be a challenge due to the blocky proportions and low quality textures.
~Disclaimer: I actually think Steve is a possible character it's just I need to see a visualization of how he would work in smash, somewhat like the one that one person did of Captain toad

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
Honestly, I’m kind of hype for Steve.

He is the face of a series with a large enough fanbase to warrant his inclusion. He would also bring in tons of new players, which automatically makes me not the worst player at For Glory anymore.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Here's an idea for DLC I had floating around in my head.

Alternate Costume packs and no, not for Miis. For the other characters, they could make quite a bit of money if they released for example: the previous LoZ designs for Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf.
I'd be ok with this, they'd make quite a bit of money from the specfic people who wanted certain costumes.

Fire Emblem pack could have like, NES Marth, Lord & Vanguard Ike, Full on Awakening Roy design, full on Masked Lucina, New Years Corrin, Beach Robin etc etc.

Sonic one might have some cool things like the SA2 costumes for instance.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Based on Wikipedia Minecraft is Bigger than Wii Sports (but smaller than the combined Wii-series).
Nah, I don't feel you can say there's anything in minecraft that's more important that Steve. pretty much everything else is just comon enemies and a few bosses. Creeper is more Assist/stage hazard kind of thing.
I feel like the player's character is not as iconic to the series as say, creepers, the open world aspect, blocks, etc. In terms of picking out a character for smash, I would say you 100% have to go for steve.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that I've said this before, but Minecraft's biggest problem is that its art style is rather ugly when compared to the high quality contents that are in Smash Ultimate.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know that I've said this before, but Minecraft's biggest problem is that its art style is rather ugly when compared to the high quality contents that are in Smash Ultimate.
When did Sakurai ever say "Ew, he's too ugly to be in Smash?" :rolleyes: They could obviously patch him up to be HD, but if we doesn't look well then that's just how it is then. People gotta deal with it.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If anyone could make it work, it's Sakurai and his team.

I'm not even an advocate for Steve or Minecraft stuff in general, but I don't see why it isn't at least possible.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Telltale Games' Story Mode somewhat help in that aspect.

It isn't perfect, but it's still an improvement over the original game.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here's the problems I see with Steve as a playable character
1) He wouldn't be called Steve
It would be called something like Villager as an avatar character that could be customized. Think Villager and Inkling are examples the player is an avatar character but the character is in Smash bros. Steve would be the same way, maybe called a Minecraftian?
If an avatar has a default name, then that name is used in Smash Bros.
:ultlink::ultness::ulttoonlink::ultcorrin::ultrobin
2) Destroying terrain is nearly impossible for every stage in Smash bros, but Generating terrain is possible
Creating Terrain is how this character would be implemented because destroying terrain would be nearly impossible
You answered your own question again.
3) Animations or a possible redesign
Finding a way this character could be implemented and animated would be a challenge due to the blocky proportions and low quality textures.

This is the official Minecraft Story Mode trailer. Steve would likely have a similar animation style if in Smash Bros.

Disclaimer: I don't even want Steve in Smash. I just think the arguments against him are silly.
I'd be ok with this, they'd make quite a bit of money from the specfic people who wanted certain costumes.

Fire Emblem pack could have like, NES Marth, Lord & Vanguard Ike, Full on Awakening Roy design, full on Masked Lucina, New Years Corrin, Beach Robin etc etc.

Sonic one might have some cool things like the SA2 costumes for instance.
God, NES Marth was...something.

Them legs, though.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Are you going to unironically try to convince me that Miis are a wtf pick?
Nope, haha.

I think they wonderfully fill the niche of the "create-a-character", using their avatar status along with easy integration in the WiiU to represent a major Nintendo franchise/genre.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I don't think a creeper would make it in it seems too weird having a random enemy be a character even if they are iconic. Goomba and koopa are more iconic than say, bowser jr. but they won't get in for the same reason. Now bandanna creeper on the other hand...

Would be cool to see a minecraft stage that's randomly generated tho.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
He probably would be called Steve since it's a default, compare to Robin rather than Villager who never had one.
And it would propably be 4-4 split of Steve & Alex Skins (if the don't do some weird skin gimmick)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly I don't see people with a reason other than "EW CRINGE MAKING CHILDREN HAPPY EKS DEE" or "BUT I WANT BANJO!" Should Steve hypothetically get in, the game will appeal to a wider audience and in contrary to what some people seem to think, a single character isn't enough to drive people away in a roster with 70+ characters

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
God, NES Marth was...something.

Them legs, though.
We need it, also still sad FE:Warriors (as much as I adore it) didn't use this as a costume for him, although the groom one was a really good other choice so I don't mind it too much.

We have Classic Link now basically when BoTW Link dons the tunic so why not give Marth this? :p

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Disclaimer: I don't even want Steve in Smash. I just think the arguments against him are silly.
All these silly arguments against Steve remind me of how a lot of Decidueye supports only wanted him to fill a "quota" by having a grass Pokemon.

Ugly artstyle really aren't an argument when we've had characters who were NES-exclusive and got the makeover to fit in with the rest of the cast.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the bright side, no one is arguing that Goombario or Goombella should make it in over Paper Mario. So far.

The same can be said for Dr. Wright, yet he got the ability to sprout buildings under people as an AT anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom