• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086
Ah, I completely forgot.
I'd love to see them add Type Null and give it a rage meter (not sure of this is the correct term) like Lucario has.
After receiving a certain amount of damage it s helmet would break and it would become stronger and slightly faster.

And while we are on the subject of Pokémon, I also could see them adding beast balls, to the pokéball and master ball. With beast balls always spawning an ultra beast, would be quite fun!
Imo, if they added Type null it should be based on how well your doing instead of how much your getting your ass kicked, since he needs friendship to evolve. But I'm with you on beast balls. I'd love to see Buzzwole.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Pretty popular Wii U game
Got a 3DS port
Getting a SWITCH port.

I don't think it's the unlikeliest thing in the world if you think about it. Still, with BOTW being a huge success I think it's liklier we could get a character from there.
^This.

I personally don't find it likely at all that a spinoff Zelda game gets included in Smash, especially when there is Breath of the Wild giving us plenty of new Zelda things to use. That being said, Nintendo seems to R E A L L Y love Hyrule Warriors, so maybe they pressure Sakurai into including something.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't understand this "rep" stuff. The series a character is from should be incidental. I don't care how many characters a series has and I don't want a series character just because they are from that series.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in a different thread, but how would all of you feel if another fighting game character was added like Ryu into Smash?

I'm talking in terms of Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters and so on.

Considering how Ryu was handled, I'm interested in what mechanics other fighting game icons could bring to the table or how they are at least implemented in the same way Ryu was with his traditional inputs.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Do you guys expect to see another surprise character?

If so who do you think they would add this time around?
I'm assuming by surprise you mean Wii Fit, G&W, R.O.B weird?

If I could guess, it wouldn't be as much of a surprised... but I'm going to throw my earlier one out again and say Toy-cons/Nintendo Labo in some form. I can't think of anything else.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in a different thread, but how would all of you feel if another fighting game character was added like Ryu into Smash?

I'm talking in terms of Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters and so on.

Considering how Ryu was handled, I'm interested in what mechanics other fighting game icons could bring to the table or how they are at least implemented in the same way Ryu was with his traditional inputs.
I wouldn't mind another traditional fighting game character at all. It's always more about the series, character and of course how they play to me than their genre.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When that happens I'll make sure to crush your hopes by saying it's completely fake like you did with us with the Ridley leak the other day :troll:
At least my character didn't get explicitly and permanently deconfirmed so I'll have more of a reason to believe it.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Sheik is a ninja and R.O.B. is a robot. A child could make a move set out of that. So how is that an argument that you can make a move set of anyone?

Every character you listed are some of the easiest characters to come up with move sets for.
Examples of characters that we couldn't easily come up with moves for?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Fighting the urge to repost my Harvest Moon Farmer ideas from a few pages back. Unless you mean characters like Ridley as "surprise", in which case the only character that would surprise me without also being rather "wtf" is Ridley himself.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Since the term was used earlier, I don't think "Reps" is really the right term to define characters. Sakurai doesn't seem to look at characters as representatives of their series, rather just a character from a series. The closest thing to reps was when Sakurai had stated that they "were getting too many Fire Emblem characters", but clearly too many characters of a series isn't enough to stop Sakurai from adding who he wants.

As for Kid Icarus, Pit alone would've been fine for the series, in my opinion, although I was fine with Palutena joining in after Uprising. Dark Pit, regardless of the "free dessert" mentality, I feel should get the boot or be downgraded into a Pit alternate.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Ultimately the HUB is just sitting there doing nothing, like Rosalina.
I'm not entirely sure why you're so against Rosa? Pauline has some history, but Rosa is an actual character with depth. Now with Odyssey Pauline has some of that, but I'm not sure it was soon enough to earn a roster spot this time around.
WALUIGI MOVESET
Waluigi brings his self-loathing lanky body and seething anger issues into Smash. He will cheat, explode and humiliate his opponents with a fury of long limbs and an arsenal of Mustache-themed weapons. With high jumps and long legs, Waluigi has all the range. He may not have the power of Wario, but Waluigi can rack up the damage and kick his enemies into oblivion.

Waluigi Mechanic: Tantrum

The (A) button can be held after any attack input in order for Waluigi to engage in a multi-hit flurry repetition of the attack (while of course whining out a string of Waaaa's or his name from his mouth; each attack gets its own variation of his Waaa exclamation).

This is similar to what many characters have for their standard (A) attack. Waluigi would be able to do this for most or all of his attacks. While the tantrum version would have low knock-back and stun, the attack could be added for shield pressure and cover.

SPECIALS

(B) Whiskered Eggplant
- Waluigi winds up a pitch, holding a purple eggplant with a mustache. Charging the attack allows for a further and faster thrown eggplant. If the eggplant connects there is a chance, depending on factors such as the charge of the attack and the opponent's damage, that the opponent is transformed.
• The opponent gets a Waluigi mustache
• The opponent loses his/her (B) move
• The opponent gains Whiskered Eggplant as a (B) move
• The opponent can get back his/her B move back, and lose the insulting mustache, by hitting Waluigi with the eggplant or infecting another opponent with the Whiskered Eggplant

(Side B) Tennis Racket Strike - Waluigi swings forward a tennis racket. This move can be charged. The attack does moderate damage to an opponent and can push shielding fighters. However, the real feature is the racket's reflective properties.
• Projectiles that are hit, puff away in a cartoon cloud and many little purple Bo-ombs (each with a mustache) are sent back in scatter form. The Bo-ombs' explosions have multiple hits and can accumulate for decent knock-back. The amount of bombs depends on the charge of the move and strength of the projectile.

(Up B) Frantic Swim - Waluigi swims in the air performing four breaststrokes. The first three strokes do small damage, while the fourth does decent damage and sends the opponent in the opposite direction that Waluigi is swimming. Each breaststroke has a directional input.

(Down B) Big Bomb
- Waluigi hops up and a large, dark purple bomb in a round form of Waluigi's face appears underneath his feet. He can run on top of the bomb lumberjack style and navigate left or right or jump off. The bomb does less damage than Wario's bike. The main reason for the bomb is the large explosion.
• The Bomb can not be picked up or reflected (although reflecting moves still damage it).
• The Bomb goes off after a set time duration or afters its HP has been depleted by damage.
• The Bomb goes in the direction an attack hits it in. Weak attacks do not move it much.
• Waluigi can mount the bomb by pressing (Down B) while near his weapon.
• The explosion is big and sends people flying.
• The Bomb has a cool-down property after it explodes or after it goes off a stage.

STANDARD ATTACKS

(A) Waluigi places two curled fists at his hips and thrusts his pelvic forward. Holding (A) makes him gyrate his crotch and fists continuously (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

(Side A) Stands on one leg and kicks forward, while punching forward with two fists. Holding (A) will have quick repeats of this odd behavior (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi). * Which if looked at from a bird's eye view, his striking limbs form a 'W.'

(Up A) Waluigi kicks up a leg backwards and holds his foot above his head. He then spins in place. Holding (A) will have him spin for a longer time (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

(Down A) Waluigi lays flat on his stomach, his rump in the air and his arms folded in front of his grinning face. A press of (A) will have him lurch forward while performing a breast stroke. Holding (A) will have him swim in place (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

(Running A)
Waluigi performs a clothesline, which can knock an opponent to the ground. Holding (A) will result in running with the held clothesline move for longer, but for less damage and without the tripping effect (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

SMASHES

(Forward Smash)
Waluigi holds his body up on his hands, arms locked behind him with his long legs off the ground and splayed open like scissors. His legs and feet come together in a slap. Holding (A) will result in weaker slaps after the initial one (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

(Up Smash) Waluigi hunkers down, facing the screen with his knees bent to either side of him. He springs upwards in order to fully extend his body. His arms are raised above his head, with his hands pressed together at the palms and flat in order to push his opponent into the sky. Similar to Wario's Up (A) tilt. Holding (A) will have him pulsate up and down for weaker hits
(while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

(Down Smash)
Waluigi does a break-dance with his legs doing one rotation around his body. A press of (A) will keep the party going longer (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

AERIALS

(Neutral Aerial) Waluigi faces the screen and does a split in the air. If (A) is held, he repeatedly performs a few quick splits in succession (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

(Forward Aerial) Waluigi performs a soccer kick. A hold of (A) will have him perform many rapid soccer kicks (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

(Back Aerial)
Waluigi performs a spinning backhand. A hold of (A) will have him perform many spinning backhands (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

(Down Aerial)
Waluigi kicks down with one leg and then another. These kicks can bury an opponent in the ground, and both have weak meteor properties. A hold of (A) will have him frantically stomping down (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

(Up Aerial) Waluigi faces the screen and punches upwards with one fist and then the other. Waluigi will fist pump the air with a hold of the (A) button (while screaming Waaaa or Waluigi).

THROWS

(Throw Pummel) Waluigi performs a kidney punch similar to Wario.

(Forward Throw) Waluigi throws up his opponent and pulls out a racket for a serve. During the animation, Waliugi can input the angle of his hit.

(Back Throw) The same as Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario and Wario. Waluigi swings his opponent around before flinging him backwards. Waluigi holds out his enemy further than the Mario Brothers, but with a weaker throw.

(Down Throw) Waluigi holds his opponent above his head, arms extended before throwing them to the floor.

(Up Throw) Same in appearance as Waluigi's back throw, except that at the end he tosses the enemy upwards.
Love the idea of a projectile that leaves a Waluigi mustache on people's faces, haha :p

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pretty popular Wii U game
Got a 3DS port
Getting a SWITCH port.

I don't think it's the unlikeliest thing in the world if you think about it. Still, with BOTW being a huge success I think it's liklier we could get a character from there.
^This.

I personally don't find it likely at all that a spinoff Zelda game gets included in Smash, especially when there is Breath of the Wild giving us plenty of new Zelda things to use. That being said, Nintendo seems to R E A L L Y love Hyrule Warriors, so maybe they pressure Sakurai into including something.
They like it cause it sells. The Mario spin-offs sell even better and we've still got trace amounts of content from those compared to the "main" titles.

Unless I'm mistaken we've received literally nothing from the Pokemon spin-offs since some trophies in Melee.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of HW.

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013

I'm not too sure if I'd call this a surprise character for a couple of reasons but I'm thinking Balloon Fighter is up there.
Either that or the following:
-Urban Champ
-Mach Rider
-Muddy Mole

Arklos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arklos
3DS FC
5455-9619-1086

Nightmare for smash! (Though I'd personally take Aeon over him.)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
They like it cause it sells. The Mario spin-offs sell even better and we've still got trace amounts of content from those compared to the "main" titles.

Unless I'm mistaken we've received literally nothing from the Pokemon spin-offs since some trophies in Melee.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of HW.
Still wishing for Grovyle to be a playable Grass Pokemon due to its major role in the Time/Darkness/Sky Mystery Dungeon games. If you like Pokemon and haven't played one of those, definitely check them out. They're really fun.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Perhaps it's an unpopular opinion but I think Mario has its core cast pretty well sorted now - if I were to take another character it would be Waluigi for the memes, but that's about it. DK and Metroid are the two which need a lot of work, Zelda has the cast right but needs to fix Ganondorf (and perhaps add Pig Ganon) and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Bandana Dee make an appearance either.

For the most part I'm all for adding more characters from existing franchises rather than new ones that I don't care about (because I am old and out of touch) but Mario (and Pokemon) would be the last ones I'd look at.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Imo, if they added Type null it should be based on how well your doing instead of how much your getting your *** kicked, since he needs friendship to evolve. But I'm with you on beast balls. I'd love to see Buzzwole.
Yeah, I thought about that as well, but I wouldn't be sure how that should work?
Like, when would the mask break (if it should keep the breaking mask mechanic)? How would the game determine you are doing well? I mean, for all I care just add it as Sylvally to the came, I'd love that even more!

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'm not too sure if I'd call this a surprise character for a couple of reasons but I'm thinking Balloon Fighter is up there.
Either that or the following:
-Urban Champ
-Mach Rider
-Muddy Mole
I think those are considered more of the retro, like Ice Climbers, DHD and Pit were.

Personally I'd really love to see Mach Rider in the game. Their model in Melee was really neat.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You gotta love fake leaks.

But for fun; What if they were real....

...I want to believe.
Leak 1:
"No online stock matches"
Fake

Leak 2:
"Geralt"
Laughable

Leak 3:
Actually not bad. They actually tried with this one.
Leif has single handily won with no problem. It seems that Fergus, Raydrik, and Veld fared poorly, with the last one only getting one vote.

Next is the second to last Thracia 776 poll before we move on to the GBA era. Your choices are Finn, Nanna, Galzus, and Reinhardt.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And begin.
"I now use the Reinhardt"

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I wish Dark Pit had been handled better in Uprising, specifically his name. I figure if he really wanted to separate himself from Pit he wouldn't call himself Dark Pit he'd call himself something completely different. I like his character though and hope he at least achieves semi-clone status if he can't get his own moveset entirely. If he is going to stay exactly the same I'd rather him be a costume.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I actually don't find Takamaru too unlikely, as Sakurai made the comment that Takamura was on the table as a playable character for Smash 4.
He's acknowledged him through a costume and Takamaru has had his game released internationally on Virtual Console. This is of course after the fact that several people already consider him a worthy retro addition.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I wish Dark Pit had been handled better in Uprising, specifically his name. I figure if he really wanted to separate himself from Pit he wouldn't call himself Dark Pit he'd call himself something completely different. I like his character though and hope he at least achieves semi-clone status if he can't get his own moveset entirely. If he is going to stay exactly the same I'd rather him be a costume.
Maybe we should officially change his name to Pitto :smirk:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
I think those are considered more of the retro, like Ice Climbers, DHD and Pit were.

Personally I'd really love to see Mach Rider in the game. Their model in Melee was really neat.
True but I also think of them as surprise so thought I'd throw them out there.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
He's acknowledged him through a costume and Takamaru has had his game released internationally on Virtual Console. This is of course after the fact that several people already consider him a worthy retro addition.
Here's an article where Takamaru's position is mentioned. I think he's actually more likely now than he was for Smash 4, considering his game was finally localized and he made an appearance as an AT (a really high quality one, imo)

https://nintendoeverything.com/taka...s-a-playable-fighter-for-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If he is going to stay exactly the same I'd rather him be a costume.
Why??? Why would you want LESS characters? Dark Pit is a separate character because his differences are necessary. He's similar to Pit because he's literally a clone of him.

Why do people hate characters so much? I've never found myself wishing a character wasn't in a Super Smash Bros game, especially so that there would be less of them. What is wrong with having the option to play as Dark Pit? If you don't like him then don't use him. Making him a costume is a slap in the face to the director, the character, the fans, and common sense.

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps it's an unpopular opinion but I think Mario has its core cast pretty well sorted now - if I were to take another character it would be Waluigi for the memes, but that's about it. DK and Metroid are the two which need a lot of work, Zelda has the cast right but needs to fix Ganondorf (and perhaps add Pig Ganon) and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Bandana Dee make an appearance either.

For the most part I'm all for adding more characters from existing franchises rather than new ones that I don't care about (because I am old and out of touch) but Mario (and Pokemon) would be the last ones I'd look at.
I think they might leave Metroid for Prime 4 related DLC, unless Ridley gets in. I can see Dixie for DK, but I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to add K Rool or even Cranky instead.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Hey, I'm going to throw out Snip & Clip for the WTF character in this game again.

You know, from hit Nintendo game Snipperclips?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Since I was the one who mentioned the fighting game thing, I do like the idea of either Sub-Zero/Scorpion or Heihachi/Jin Kazama getting in a game like this. However unlikely it is.

The closest thing we got was Heihachi in PSASBR. Sooooo.....yeah. And you can't tell me you don't want to Juggle someone like Yoshi with EWGFs.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Why??? Why would you want LESS characters? Dark Pit is a separate character because his differences are necessary. He's similar to Pit because he's literally a clone of him.

Why do people hate characters so much? I've never found myself wishing a character wasn't in a Super Smash Bros game, especially so that there would be less of them. What is wrong with having the option to play as Dark Pit? If you don't like him then don't use him. Making him a costume is a slap in the face to the director, the character, the fans, and common sense.
I said I like Dark Pit's character. In Uprising he is very different from Pit and has his own weapons, in smash the differences are very minimal. If he's going to be so similar that a Pit main can switch to Dark Pit and not really feel any noticeable differences then why not just have him as an alt in the form of alph and olimar?

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Leif has single handily won with no problem. It seems that Fergus, Raydrik, and Veld fared poorly, with the last one only getting one vote.

Next is the second to last Thracia 776 poll before we move on to the GBA era. Your choices are Finn, Nanna, Galzus, and Reinhardt.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And begin.
Have you been doing fire emblem polls since the retro ones or have I missed something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom