• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Wait a second, what are we counting as First-Party? Does a game have to have been developed by Nintendo or published?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Wait a second, what are we counting as First-Party? Does a game have to have been developed by Nintendo or published?
I assume they simply have to own the rights to the franchise(and thus characters and locations for stages) in question. Pokemon is split between Nintendo and Game Freak, so they count as second party.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Have you been doing fire emblem polls since the retro ones or have I missed something?
Yeah, I’ve been mostly doing Fire Emblem since retros.

And here I am being 1/3 throughout the entire franchise before Kid Icarus and Wario.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why??? Why would you want LESS characters? Dark Pit is a separate character because his differences are necessary. He's similar to Pit because he's literally a clone of him.

Why do people hate characters so much? I've never found myself wishing a character wasn't in a Super Smash Bros game, especially so that there would be less of them. What is wrong with having the option to play as Dark Pit? If you don't like him then don't use him. Making him a costume is a slap in the face to the director, the character, the fans, and common sense.
This logic only goes so far. Imagine there were 10 clones of a character, and they all played basically the same. Would that be alright? Imagine fifteen. That's more characters, it would be easy-ish for the development team. But where do you draw the line? That's the subjective part. Some may say ten, some may say five, some may say two, and some may say one.

It's not hating a character; people just have different lines in the sand where superfluousness begins.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Takamaru (Or however you spell it) could be really cool.

Neutral Special: Shuriken - looses three deadly throwing stars in quick succession
Neutral Special (Hold): Fan of Blades - Alternatively, he can throw three shuriken in a wider spread
Side Special: Swift Strike - darts forward, slashing with his sword and passing through foes in his path. If Takamaru eliminates a target, he can instantly use this ability again.
Down Special: Deflect - With lightning-quick swipes of his wakizashi, Taka reflects an oncoming projectile and sends it rebounding towards his opponent.
Up Special: Rising Swift Blade (Same thing as Swift Blade, but straight up)

Passives:
Ninja Agility: Thanks to his super abilities, Taka can climb walls and perform extra jumps in mid-air.

D

Deleted member

Hoe about we just cut Pit?
No one likes Kid Icarus anyway.
Pit.gif

This better be a joke.
If not, I just want to say that Pit still has some fan support and Sakurai does like Kid Icarus a lot, considering he himself has made Kid Icarus Uprising. I think Pit and any other Kid Icarus should stay, they fit nice in Smash Brothers. Smash Brothers helped Pit a lot, so I think Pit should stay.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Folks do I have a newcomer for you.

Headband Goomba! He could do unique stuff and Mario needs more "reps" and he's a fan-favorite that's a series mainstay.
This is literally all I see whenever someone mentions Bandana Dee.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Why??? Why would you want LESS characters? Dark Pit is a separate character because his differences are necessary. He's similar to Pit because he's literally a clone of him.

Why do people hate characters so much? I've never found myself wishing a character wasn't in a Super Smash Bros game, especially so that there would be less of them. What is wrong with having the option to play as Dark Pit? If you don't like him then don't use him. Making him a costume is a slap in the face to the director, the character, the fans, and common sense.
What are you talking about? Out of the 3 “free dessert” clones we got in Smash 4, Dark Pit is the least unique of the 3 and they were originally going to be alts. Either he gets turned back into an alt sice he contributes next to nothing or be reworked somewhat so he can use more weapons from KI: Uprising. Him being turned back into an alt wouldn’t be too big of a “loss”; he’d still be in the game. He’d just be sharing his “slot” with Pit. The whole reasoning of “he’s a literal clone of Pit” worked okay in KI: Uprising(and even then, he had more going on for him) but it overstayed its welcome.

I believe I’ve said this before, I’d be fine with the characters in question as long as they get the same amount of development time as the other characters and be spared from this short “extra time” nonsense. It’s not about “hating” characters, it’s more about wanting quality when it comes to characters.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in a different thread, but how would all of you feel if another fighting game character was added like Ryu into Smash?

I'm talking in terms of Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters and so on.

Considering how Ryu was handled, I'm interested in what mechanics other fighting game icons could bring to the table or how they are at least implemented in the same way Ryu was with his traditional inputs.
Nightmare from SoulCalibur.
His gimmick being that he can break opponent's armors to lower their defenses.
Every character gets a shirtless model.
E V E R Y C H A R A C T E R

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Headband Goomba! He could do unique stuff and Mario needs more "reps" and he's a fan-favorite that's a series mainstay.
Not cool James. That could be considered bait or trolling. It’s not fun for anyone when the thread sets fire for no good reason.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Maybe I'm crazy, but with Sakurai being the director, I expect Dark Pit to be the most likely clone to stay and get a full blown rework. I think Doc has the better veteran status, but I don't see Doc getting a moveset rework. I honestly think Dark Pit has a better chance of a significant rework than even Ganon, who people have been clamoring for since Melee.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Not sure if I should report this for ****posting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

That's pretty funny.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Not cool James. That could be considered bait or trolling. It’s not fun for anyone when the thread sets fire for no good reason.
Just a joke, we all have our own opinions. I just think it's about as ridiculous a suggestion as Goku.

Now it would be bait if I posted it in the Bandana Dee thread.

D

Deleted member

I doubt any of the clones is going anywhere unless development time is really tight. If we managed to get 3 new ones last game, it should be easy to let them stay in.
Though I should probably remind ya'll that the priority of them is Dr. Mario>Dark Pit>Lucina
Ninja Agility
Isn't he a Samurai though? Not that I'm a stranger to calling samurai Assassins tho.

Also, real talk, I really want Takamaru, but o ly because I want a damn samurai in Smash, I ****ing love their fighting style
Not cool James
I read this in Mom Voice™

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Just a joke, we all have our own opinions. I just think it's about as ridiculous a suggestion as Goku.

At least this character is first party and originated in a video game... He already has a better resume than Goku :joyful:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Now, we've been talking about our favorites and who may be joining the game and all of that but.. what about quantity? How MANY newcomers do you think we're getting, considering we're not even 100% sure if this is a brand new game or an expanded port and considering the development time and release date.
I'm saying around 10.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Arguably the 4th most prominent Kirby character is as ridiculous as Goku?

I don't care all that much for Bandana Dee, but I think that comparison is a little ridiculous.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha... ah.

I would actually support it if it existed.

But, yeah, that was not fine and it's clearly bait.

You want some attention, buddy?

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Now, we've been talking about our favorites and who may be joining the game and all of that but.. what about quantity? How MANY newcomers do you think we're getting, considering we're not even 100% sure if this is a brand new game or an expanded port and considering the development time and release date.
I'm saying around 10.
I'd say up to 10, up to 15 including DLC.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
At least this character is first party and originated in a video game... He already has a better resume than Goku :joyful:
The 4th most prominent Kirby character is as ridiculous as Goku?
I don't care all that much for Bandana Dee, but I think that comparison is a little ridiculous.
Not in the sense that he's fourth party, in the sense that I have a right good laugh at the idea of it. Seems like a meme to me.

ThePocketPencil

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-0411-0276
Hey you know who would be cool? Kunio, now he may not be ringing any bells but he's actually the protagonist of River City Ransom, he's had a ton of other appearances so he's got a ton of moveset potential and is an NES Classic. Anyways thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I'm saying around 10.
I expect around 5 newcomers in the base game
Then another 5 as DLC

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
It's not like I don't want Bandana Dee in the game, but I really don't see the appeal. Anyone have a good sales pitch handy? :p

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I would like for Dark Pit to stay in Smash. However, he needs a revamp. The team should make him use the staff more.
You could even remove the "more" part on the end. There's literally a weapon named after him in his game, let's have him use it fully.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I expect around 5 newcomers in the base game
Then another 5 as DLC
Well that's incredibly depressing. Even Melee added more than that, including the DLC, lol.

With DLC it doesn't add up to even half of Smash 4's vanilla newcomers.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hey you know who would be cool? Kunio, now he may not be ringing any bells but he's actually the protagonist of River City Ransom, he's had a ton of other appearances so he's got a ton of moveset potential and is an NES Classic. Anyways thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
Why yes please, I dig Kunio big time too. River City Ransom's always been a classic and his series is pretty interesting as whole too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Does anyone want to see any newcomers from universes already in smash other than mario?
Mainly just Celica and Decidueye for me.

Then again there aren't many ones I want in general (outside of no-hopers). Definitely some I expect though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom