• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
reserERA. One of the biggest gaming sites out there. it's pretty neat. They have a smash speculation thread. I dont keep up with it though. Just occasional check ins. It's hard enough staying up to date with this madhouse :p

**** now im staring to want Joker in smash. I loved P4 and only liked what i've played of P4 but I think Joker would probably be a better fit. Im a sucker for glasses but Joker just has style. Not to mention all the moves he could do with Personas.

And dear god the music. THE MUSIC
It's songs like these and this one that make me wish we could customize the music of menus, not just stages.

And two more just for good measure.
And the big one
Welp. Phantom Thieves stole my heart. I want Joker in smash.
:061:
God, I'm right there with you. The soundtrack would be so good for Smash Bros, and Joker just seems like he'd have an amazing moveset. It'll literally never happen, but damn if it wouldn't be a ****in' dream come true.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
What is more likely right now... Any more Smash news? or us hitting 1 000 pages on this thread?

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I honestly feel bad for people who are fans of Code Name S. T. E. A. M. cause it feels like Nintendo gave up on the property before it was even released. They could have marketed it so much better.
If I was a big wig at corporate Nintendo i'd pitch a Code Name S.T.E.A.M. revamp and just use the characters and assets and put them into a battle royal style game.

God I need to play codename steam. Modding making my data get deleted really killed my desire to play. But it has such a great premise and was fun for what I played.

As for smash, I wouldn't mind henry. Cool design and probably a cool gimick. I would settle for a stage though. Fighting on the blimp whose name i've forgotten would be pretty rad. Just seems like it would fit super well. With Abe Lincoln cameo I hope.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
God, I'm right there with you. The soundtrack would be so good for Smash Bros, and Joker just seems like he'd have an amazing moveset. It'll literally never happen, but damn if it wouldn't be a ****in' dream come true.
I wouldn't go as far as to say "never". Nintendo and Atlus are on good terms, it seems. And P5 has had 2 million in sales alone, let alone the whole franchise at 15.7m. I think an Atlus character is very possible, there's just no guarantee it'll be Joker and not some other Atlus character.

EDIT: I do mean "possible" in its most literal sense. Certainly not trying to imply that I think one is actually likely :p

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So what do you think the next pokemon rep will be? I think it'll either be Decidueye, Mimikyu or Zeraora. Decidueye and Mimikyu are most likely but maybe Zeraora will get the Greninja treatment and be playable before he's legally obtainable in the games!
I don't know about Decidueye's chances, since last I've checked, it's the least popular fully evolved 7th generation starter, while its very first stage, Rowlet, is ranked #1. Personally, I'd like to see a playable Ultra Beast, and at least two of them would fit the bill.

In the end though, popularity probably doesn't mean very much in the Pokemon department, especially when you look at how Greninja got the playable treatment.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
how about rabbids (chokes)
I think people hate on them too much, they have something going for them that others don’t. A crossover with freakin Mario.
I’d like them if only to make the guy who pitched the game cry tears of joy again.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I thought of some questions for this thread:

1. Would you rather see BOTW Link as total newcomer, separate from Link and Toon Link in every way with a completely new moveset, or a champion as a newcomer, with Link maintaining his same moveset but having his BOTW appearance instead?

2. How likely do you think a Dragon Quest newcomer is? Likewise, would you like a Dragon Quest newcomer or would you prefer another third party?

3. How many Fire Emblem characters do you expect to be in the launch roster? Will any of them be newcomers or will it just be veterans?
1. Oh god, neither. If I had to choose, the first option, but I'd much rather have a revamped Link and Zelda that draw from BoTW runes/champion abilities.

2. There's only one Square Character I want in this next game, and I think you can figure it out :)

3. It's hard to predict who'd be cut from the FE cast now. If I had a gun to my head and I had to pick, I think Roy is the most expendable. I'd prefer we see no change to the FE cast now, but we may get a newcomer as DLC.

EDIT: WOW this thread moves fast

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I thought of some questions for this thread:

1. Would you rather see BOTW Link as total newcomer, separate from Link and Toon Link in every way with a completely new moveset, or a champion as a newcomer, with Link maintaining his same moveset but having his BOTW appearance instead?

2. How likely do you think a Dragon Quest newcomer is? Likewise, would you like a Dragon Quest newcomer or would you prefer another third party?

3. How many Fire Emblem characters do you expect to be in the launch roster? Will any of them be newcomers or will it just be veterans?
1. Definitely a champion, preferably Mipha.

2. I'm not entirely sure, third-parties are pretty hard to predict. The fact that the series doesn't seem to have a clear breakout star protagonist seems to hurt it.

3. I'm guessing Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, and (very reluctantly) Corrin. If we do get a newcomer, I think it will likely be from Heroes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
God I need to play codename steam. Modding making my data get deleted really killed my desire to play. But it has such a great premise and was fun for what I played.

As for smash, I wouldn't mind henry. Cool design and probably a cool gimick. I would settle for a stage though. Fighting on the blimp whose name i've forgotten would be pretty rad. Just seems like it would fit super well. With Abe Lincoln cameo I hope.
The Lady Liberty, by the way. :p

If Henry Fleming got in, John Henry would be my choice for an Assist. Launching grenades all over the stage, and finishing with his super move, turning his mechanical arm into a giant hammer and slamming foes into the stage.

Oh what could have been...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Did they really though? They promoted it pretty heavily if I recall and even tried to get Fire Emblem players to buy into it as a franchise through those characters being in it. And that was when Awakening had made Fire Emblem a big deal.

They tried to make that successful. It just didn't work out for them.
I don’t remember any sort of major marketing, I know there was a lot of trailers but no sort of real “push”, just a few demonstrations and whatnot, at least that’s what I remembered.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lucina will definitely be cut before Roy is.
Lucina is more popular and takes a lot less work to add. If either of them go I'm banking on it being Roy.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Really...? Hope your honest. Also I'm sorry that I haven't played any Xenoblade games yet...
I mean, Rex is obviously not a carbon copy of Tetsuro. But there are some parallels between both characters imo.

If you're interested, here is the translated excerpt of the executive director's message from the Xenoblade 2 JP website

"A young adult story with a taste of boy-meets-girl. Lately it feels like all I’ve been doing are games full of devastation, like where your hometown burns down at the start, or the spaceship you’re riding crashes(oh wait, that is all I ever do). Sometimes I just wanna try something different!

I want to make something that people can look back on fondly one day as something that really shaped their lives. Something like what I loved as a boy, like Oliver!(by Carol Reed) and Galaxy Express 999(by Rintaro).
-- That’s why I started working on this game.
I’ll leave the stories about the solemn old men and hot stylish guys to someone else(even though there’s way more demand for that stuff), and go ahead with this.

That’s what was on my mind around the end of 2014 through early 2015.
Yeah, we started while Xenoblade X was still in development.
We’re building a whole new ‘Xenoblade’ title using the foundation laid by X. That’s the core of the project.

Some people think exploration is what games should be all about, while some are like “no no, story is what’s best.” Well we’ve got something perfect for both of those kinds of people: Xenoblade 2.
And that’s what I wanted to tell you with my first announcement. Sound cool?

There are still a ton of surprises left, of course.
I’ll be revealing little bits of information and riling everyone up all the way until release.
And that was my June of 2017.
(Wait, will we even meet the release deadline?!)

Tetsuya Takahashi"
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/adena/index.html

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
What is more likely right now... Any more Smash news? or us hitting 1 000 pages on this thread?
Well, page 828 began on the 9th, so unless we get Smash news in the next 10 days or so, it's likely we'll reach page 1000 first.
With Abe Lincoln cameo I hope.
Abe Lincoln is already in Smash though, remember?

How could you forget the iconic Smash 4 newcomers, Abe Lincoln, Elijah Wood, and Ice T?
Lucina is more popular and takes a lot less work to add. If either of them go I'm banking on it being Roy.
Being a Lucina/Roy player is suffering.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Lucina will definitely be cut before Roy is.
Roy is only pretty popular with the Smash crowd.

Lucina is pretty popular within both. But exceptionally popular in her homebase franchise.

It's a tough call, but I feel as if Lucina would have the edge.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

Let’s just add Lyn and call it a day.

(And maybe tharja) ;)

Edit: also please make female Corrin the default no one likes male corrin

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually I could possibly see Aigis as the Persona character since she’s so friggin’ popular, like seriously ATLUS/SEGA push her like crazy.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Codename STEAM was a really good game made into a great game by a New 3DS patch, halving the absurdly long enemy turns. I'd be happy to see Henry in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Roy is more popular with Smash fans and has seniority.
If Nintendo and Intelligent Systems literally strong armed Koei Tecmo, an outside company, into adding her into Fire Emblem Warriors late in development when they weren't going to add her initially, I have no doubt they'd want Sakurai to keep her in Smash.

She's easily one of the single most popular Fire Emblem characters, beaten out by only Ike and Lyn going by the first Choose Your Legends poll. I honestly don't think she's going anywhere.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm thoroughly convinced that all the FE characters are staying, and we may not get a new one til DLC. Roy was DLC in the last game, and had a lot of extra love put into his moveset. He was popular enough to warrant extra payment to use. He's prolly staying. And Lucina is the face of the modern era of Fire Emblem. She's staying too.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Actually I could possibly see Aigis as the Persona character since she’s so friggin’ popular, like seriously ATLUS/SEGA push her like crazy.
Eh I think Yu or Joker are much more likely, I can’t see a non-main character 3rd party making it in. It’d be like adding Tails but not Sonic.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If I were deciding the roster I’d probably cut (Please don’t kill me on this one) Corrin due to him being the least important to the Fire Emblem series out of all the FE characters, but I see him staying if only cause he’s so recent and has a unique moveset.

Both Roy and Lucina are extremely popular TBH. In and out of smash. For CYL both landed at second place. Lucina is definitely a bigger deal in FE and is probably easier to make. Roy has seniority. Take your pick.

r
It's songs like these and this one that make me wish we could customize the music of menus, not just stages.
Gonna come back to this because it's one of my biggest wants in smash. I hate that everytime I load up smash the only thing im going to hear is a smash song. Not a mario song, or a zelda song, or anything else. Smash. Smash themes are great but I want more variety.

Do you know what I would do to hear Dearly Beloved when I open up smash?
AWFUL AWFUL THINGS.

Layer cake from persona 5 too.

As for 1st party games you can pretty much take dozens of great themes from main menus/title screens in games. From Super Metroid to Mario 3D world there is so much more they can do than JUST smash originals.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'd be really happy to see Lucina back, especially if she was Luigified or more. I know that she's easy to implement as is, but it'd be really cool to see her using a lance like in Heroes.

Troykv

Smash Master
For the Smash Bros Base Roster.

Marth, Ike and Robin are safe.

Lucina is the kind of character IS would try to push like they did with Warriors; so she is almost safe... it will depend if she get higher priority or not if she gets de-cloned.

Roy and Corrin depends of priorities.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'd be really happy to see Lucina back, especially if she was Luigified or more. I know that she's easy to implement as is, but it'd be really cool to see her using a lance like in Heroes.
I'm not sure if it was you I talked about this with before, but Lance Lucina would very out of character, as Falchion is a very integral part of her character. I think we'd have to look to other characters entirely if we wanted a lance user.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So Xenoblade 2 is getting a big story DLC this fall. If the trailer is not during E3, it might get its own 10 minute direct mini....giving it a perfect opportunity to reveal Rex.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So Xenoblade 2 is getting a big story DLC this fall. If the trailer is not during E3, it might get its own 10 minute direct mini....giving it a perfect opportunity to reveal Rex.
I think Rex will be DLC tbh, could be wrong though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I know I may be in the minority, but I would actually take some sort of cut in newcomers if it meant retaining the roster of the previous game.

Smash 4 gave us a generous amount of newcomers, all of them fantastic. We lost Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Wolf. We got one of them back through DLC, as well as two of the most sought after veterans cuts in Mewtwo and Roy.

If they keep the roster we have and then add, say 8-10 newcomers, I frankly wouldn’t give a damn. Everybody is happy with characters they currently have, and can only add characters fans want to make them happier.

I know it’s not entirely realistic, but at this point that’s the route I would take if it were possible.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
So what do you think the next pokemon rep will be? I think it'll either be Decidueye, Mimikyu or Zeraora. Decidueye and Mimikyu are most likely but maybe Zeraora will get the Greninja treatment and be playable before he's legally obtainable in the games!
Honestly, I don't think Decidueye has a very high chance. He isn't nearly as popular as people make him out to be, and even if he were, popularity wouldn't play into it considering Greninja's inclusion and Sun/Moon not being released yet when Sakurai finalized the roster.

If anything, I'd say Tapu Koko is the most likely Pokemon rep for Smash 5. He's got the story relevance in the games and is a unique legendary pokemon. Also maybe an ultra beast like Buzzwole, since he's extremely unique and would fill a spot for sakurai's apparent love for Jojo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They may have strong-armed her into FE Warriors but afawk they didn't strong-arm her into Smash. In fact, they were apparently alright with Sakurai opting to go for the least popular of the three protagonists as the primary FE newcomer. Seems like if any precedent is to be observed, it's the one relating to the series we're talking about. Imo unless they get super overbearing and want to dictate the entire FE roster, they'd opt to push for a character with promotional relevance, Corrin-style. That's the Smash precedent.

Not that I'm saying Lucina will be cut. I've no idea, but it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom