• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
i think we can all agree that the game's marketing past the first reveal was very, very bad. no news for months on end, and when we did get news it was isabelle with barely anything to go off of. discussion for isabelle basically instantly went back to speculation because most of her kit was pretty obvious and nothing interesting was in her trailer

another problem was just the general reveal order, k rool being the big one that was placed at a bad time. k rool made headlines, he was a massive, massive character that fans were incredibly happy to see, a major surprise underdog... and he was revealed in the middle of the pre-release. that, alongside the rest of the direct being amazing, made our hopes run wild, which is where the skull kid speculation came in. of course, after that we shortly realized that the only characters left were, to put it frankly, underwhelming.

consider a fundamental difference between the pre-release between smash 4 and ultimate. smash 4 had daily news, maybe something silly and not that interesting, but there was always a chance that next day would have something cool like a new character reveal. ultimate had the uh. blog. which consistent literally entirely of information we knew, and didn't even update frequently. its a disaster that made it seem like the game had barely anything to talk about.

let me tell you, there is a LOT more of this game to show than directs and the blog would leave you to believe. i wish they had revealed any of the stuff we hadn't known about before the leaks happened.

this was a pretty easy fix imo. you could still do the everyone is here reveal, but then just save the videos for when said character is posted on the blog. that would have made it a lot more fun and actually could have provided anything interesting for the months of no news
"Marketing" would imply that Nintendo failed to sell the general public on the concept of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which they did not. They succeeded, without question, in doing this when the Everyone is Here Trailer dropped and there wasnt a bit of negativity to be heard across the gaming landscape.

Now, if we're talking in terms of us? The hardcore fan base? Absolutely. There was some tough months. But that's not to say that we have had far FAR worse in the past. The gap between reveals during Smash For was excruciating. Like, E3 was in June and then Rosalina was in December. For someone who wasnt all that interested in Rosalina, a la your Isabelle opinion, Little Mac seemed like it took FOREVER to get me excited again. We dont tall about Brawl. Brawl reveals were HORRIBLE. Ultimate was probably the best paced Smash game reveal wise.

We put on blinders because it seems like we've been speculating on this forever but guys, we didn't even have confirmation this game was a thing until March... of this ****ing year. We've only known this game to exist for 8 months...

People can make accusations that pacing this time around was terrible but God damn did I prefer it over the past two games. I loved knowing Snake, and everyone, was there from the get go. And Simon and K. Rool held me over for plenty long. Even if I wasnt all aboard the hype train with Isabelle I still had Simon, Richter, Ridley, and K. Rool to ogle over. This speculation cycle was as painless as possible and I loved it.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Except that there is logic to Sakurai's choices...

That's a myopic assumption you've got there. The rules you're making fun of generally exist for a good reason. Without them, character discussion would boil down to this kind of nonsense ....
We got Piranha Planted and people still holding that "ruleset of newcomers".
While I don't expect an anime character, I wouldn't be totally surprised.
I'd bet on Mickey against Piranha Plant chances 24/7, but here we are...
To be completely honest, there are some rules like...
You shouldn't expect Harry Potter or Reckless safety notice man, but an Spirit or Assist Trophy no problem.
Chrom appears into Robin victory pose.
I can imagine some more weird stuff making in the game as DLC.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Except that there is logic to Sakurai's choices, and nothing so far has broken any trends aside from Snake, who proved to the fandom that characters other than Nintendo's can be in Smash provided they fulfill a few quotas. On the subject of Assist Trophies and Pokeball Pokemon, they've only ever been promoted to playable in the following game. If you want to argue for promotion in a hypothetical Wave 2 of DLC, then it's fair to assume with enough time that Sakurai could "promote" an Assist Trophy or a Pokeball Pokemon, provided we start running out of room for new characters that Sakurai and Nintendo would like to add that isn't already deconfirmed at the moment.
Trends are broken all the time though. We used to get a retro character every game. Then Ultimate happened. We used to never get multiple third party reps from the same company. Then Ryu happened. We used to never have multiple characters for the same third party series. Then Richter happened. Playable characters used to never also have a final smash role. Then Chrom happened. WTF characters used to exclusively be retro characters. Then Wii Fit Trainer happened. We used to never have cut characters return. Then Dr. Mario happened. Trends are consistently broken.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultpiranha: should get itself a stage too. I love the idea of its stage a stage full of pipes. A good name for it would be Pipe Zone.

D

Deleted member

I think it's either going to be relegated to Random, an extra button for future DLC, or Stage creator assuming the Day 1 Patch for missing modes is true.

Speaking of stages, 30 character slots were found in the datamine, but nothing on stages. Hmmm...

EDIT:
Spoke with a friend who has access to the files. They said there were no empty stage slots. Unless this so-called Day 1 Patch adds that information, or we get it as early as Piranha Plant, I feel like the lack of empty stage slots hurts the chances of DLC beyond the Fighter's Pass.
Can't be regulated to Random.
Random's at the top before Battlefield.

D

Deleted member

Holy ****, I just realized.
Sakurai is pretty much Yugi. He makes up his own damn rules all the time and breaks them, too.

WE'VE BEEN LIVING IN YU-GI-OH SEASON 1 FOR THE PAST 20 ****ING YEARS.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Welp, glad I wasnt the one to have to point this out.

Yeah, I think it's precautionary. If they want to do more stages they can just put a little arrow down there to shift it to the rest of the DLC stages. Will they make it far enough to need that feature? Who knows? Season 2? Maybe? But it's there if they need it. Just in case.

Ivander

Smash Legend
On the topic of a Tales character, whether it'd be Lloyd or Yuri, it would be pretty cool if they got a costume from one of their games to go with their default outfit. Lloyd has his Pirate, Nobleman, Samurai and Swimsuit costumes to choose from. Yuri has his Knight, Dark Enforcer, Improvisor, and Swimsuit costumes to choose from. Although it'd be pretty cool if they got one of their cameo costumes, like Lloyd's Guy Cecil costume or Yuri's Gilgamesh, Mitsurugi or Judas costumes.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
i think we can all agree that the game's marketing past the first reveal was very, very bad. no news for months on end, and when we did get news it was isabelle with barely anything to go off of. discussion for isabelle basically instantly went back to speculation because most of her kit was pretty obvious and nothing interesting was in her trailer

another problem was just the general reveal order, k rool being the big one that was placed at a bad time. k rool made headlines, he was a massive, massive character that fans were incredibly happy to see, a major surprise underdog... and he was revealed in the middle of the pre-release. that, alongside the rest of the direct being amazing, made our hopes run wild, which is where the skull kid speculation came in. of course, after that we shortly realized that the only characters left were, to put it frankly, underwhelming.

consider a fundamental difference between the pre-release between smash 4 and ultimate. smash 4 had daily news, maybe something silly and not that interesting, but there was always a chance that next day would have something cool like a new character reveal. ultimate had the uh. blog. which consistent literally entirely of information we knew, and didn't even update frequently. its a disaster that made it seem like the game had barely anything to talk about.

let me tell you, there is a LOT more of this game to show than directs and the blog would leave you to believe. i wish they had revealed any of the stuff we hadn't known about before the leaks happened.

this was a pretty easy fix imo. you could still do the everyone is here reveal, but then just save the videos for when said character is posted on the blog. that would have made it a lot more fun and actually could have provided anything interesting for the months of no news
Lmao the marketing was top notch, wtf are you talking about?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Something bothers me about the DLC.
We're getting five stages to go with the Fighter's Pass characters, yes?

....so what's with the blank slot remaining once all five are added?
Is there like a 6th stage going to be added for free at some point like Duck Hunt (3DS) and Miiverse (Wii U)?
They're not just going to leave that blank, right....?
Some have speculated that the training mode stage takes one of the slots when training mode is accessed. However, we will not know for sure until Friday (unless someone has already found out sooner).

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Some have speculated that the training mode stage takes one of the slots when training mode is accessed. However, we will not know for sure until Friday (unless someone has already found out sooner).
Either a DLC nostalgia stage (Planet Zebes, Pokefloats) or a fat ol' "next page" button, if I had to guess.

D

Deleted member

Nope.
In Training Mode, there is no Random select.
Instead, the Training stage appears before Battlefield where the Random button would be.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Nope.
In Training Mode, there is no Random select.
Instead, the Training stage appears before Battlefield where the Random button would be.
If this is the case, then it might be that we are given a stage sold separately from the fighter pass (like Super Mario Maker was a new stage not attached to any newcomer).

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
We got Piranha Planted and people still holding that "ruleset of newcomers".
While I don't expect an anime character, I wouldn't be totally surprised.
I'd bet on Mickey against Piranha Plant chances 24/7, but here we are...
There's a method to the madness behind Piranha Plant though. To wit, it's got qualities that make it a counterpart to Yoshi, following a Duality theme.
-One is an animal with human-like intelligence, while the other is a plant with violent impulses. You've got Fauna & Flora here.
-One is an animal with recognizable features that makes them feel humanized, while the other is a plant with unconventional means of emoting.
-One is portrayed as a friendly and mostly-harmless creature with a goofy nose, while the other is menacing and has a mouth for a head with killer teeth.
-One moves around like a person, while the other is mostly stationary, with unconventional means of locomotion when forced to get by.
-Both are gluttonous and their methods of chowing down on prey differs slightly. Yoshi reels in food while Piranha Plant moves toward its food.
-Both sport white, red, green, and brown in their color schemes, funnily enough.
-Both weaponize round objects that they're able to toss at their foes, and their objects travel in arcs.
-Both of them are minions, with one being a companion (a heroic mook if you will), and the other being an obstacle/enemy.

You shouldn't expect Harry Potter or Reckless safety notice man, but an Spirit or Assist Trophy no problem.
Chrom appears into Robin victory pose.
But I can imagine some more weird stuff making in the game as DLC.
Chrom makes me think that characters like X, Protoman, Kumatora, and Poo could happen, but at the same time, it feels like the same situation as the Mii Fighter outfits where if you're already playable in the game, the costume is just a bonus, but the same rule doesn't apply for Mii Fighter outfits of characters who aren't playable.

Trends are broken all the time though. We used to get a retro character every game. Then Ultimate happened. We used to never get multiple third party reps from the same company. Then Ryu happened. We used to never have multiple characters for the same third party series. Then Richter happened. Playable characters used to never also have a final smash role. Then Chrom happened. WTF characters used to exclusively be retro characters. Then Wii Fit Trainer happened. We used to never have cut characters return. Then Dr. Mario happened. Trends are consistently broken.
Those don't count as trends at all though. The closest thing to retro characters in the first Smash were Mario and Donkey Kong, going by their seniority status at that point.

Ultimate gave us Simon, who is plenty Retro. Hell, even Ridley is a retro character if you want to bring up Nintendo-only examples. I think you're trying to define the term as a "spot for a character who only ever had one game on the NES, and faded into obscurity since then".

Ryu made sense because of Capcom's history with Nintendo, and the fact that Ryu is the original Fighting Game character. If anything Ryu confirmed that a company can get more than one character provided there is justification for it. His inclusion wasn't surprising in the slightest.

Chrom was added because he was a popular request within the community, an easy Echo, and his appearance in Robin's Final Smash was just lazy on Sakurai's part (or directly ported from Smash 4 and not changed at all for whatever reason). The bottom-line is that Chrom was already an assist character previously. Him being in Robin's Final Smash again had no bearing on weather or not he's playable. Refer to my above post regarding Kumatora, Protoman, and the others.

"WTF characters" and "retro characters" aren't mutually exclusive. You can attribute it to Yoshi, Ness, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Peach, Zelda, Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Sheik, Fox, Falco, Villager, and so on. All of these characters share traits in common that make them very unconventional ideas for fighters, yet here they are (and always have been). Even Snake is a "WTF" character by virtue of public ignorance. Like I said before, Sakurai had plans to include him in Melee.

The cutting argument comes from people assuming that every new Smash game beyond Brawl would be soft reboots where characters wouldn't return. It came from how Brawl got rid of Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, Mewtwo, and Roy. Cuts came about due to certain circumstances, but as time went on, we learned that Sakurai doesn't like to cut characters from each new entry (assuming he actually spoke about this in an interview). In this example, it's once again public ignorance assuming Sakurai has made that statement. It's like when Isabelle was revealed as a non-Echo Fighter in the September Direct: That got Shadow's fanbase demanding their Most-Wanted to be unique as well just because they had different expectations with Isabelle. Never mind the fact that Isabelle is a first-party character with certain privileges, while a unique Shadow would have made unique Richter a missed opportunity.

Oh, it is?

[Checks]

So it is! Wowie, I totally missed that somehow! Okay then, I guess it's down to either the DLC button like with Smash 4, oooor the Stage Builder stages.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*channels inner Christoper Walken*
"Lucelle, give, uh, me strength." *BAM!* "Oh, uh, look that. Taking it like a champ. Lucelle is thirsty. She is, uh, a vampire bat."

Can you tell I'm in desperate need of Smash Ultimate or what?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Chrom was added because he was a popular request within the community, an easy Echo, and his appearance in Robin's Final Smash was just lazy on Sakurai's part (or directly ported from Smash 4 and not changed at all for whatever reason). The bottom-line is that Chrom was already an assist character previously. Him being in Robin's Final Smash again had no bearing on weather or not he's playable. Refer to my above post regarding Kumatora, Protoman, and the others.
The problem here is you're making excuses to make your point of view valid. The argument against Chrom was "He can't be playable because he's Robin's Final Smash". Now that he's playable and still a final Smash DOES open that door. No matter how you justify it, all it is is dancing around the issue to make a fan rule more valid, especially when you have to delve into "Sakurai was lazy and didn't want to change it" after he already changed quite a few Final Smashes to begin with. The End result is simple, Sakurai didn't feel that it was a big enough deal to change.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Those don't count as trends at all though. The closest thing to retro characters in the first Smash were Mario and Donkey Kong, going by their seniority status at that point.

Ultimate gave us Simon, who is plenty Retro. Hell, even Ridley is a retro character if you want to bring up Nintendo-only examples. I think you're trying to define the term as a "spot for a character who only ever had one game on the NES, and faded into obscurity since then".

Ryu made sense because of Capcom's history with Nintendo, and the fact that Ryu is the original Fighting Game character. If anything Ryu confirmed that a company can get more than one character provided there is justification for it. His inclusion wasn't surprising in the slightest.

"WTF characters" and "retro characters" aren't mutually exclusive. You can attribute it to Yoshi, Ness, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Peach, Zelda, Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Sheik, Fox, Falco, Villager, and so on. All of these characters share traits in common that make them very unconventional ideas for fighters, yet here they are (and always have been). Even Snake is a "WTF" character by virtue of public ignorance. Like I said before, Sakurai had plans to include him in Melee.

The cutting argument comes from people assuming that every new Smash game beyond Brawl would be soft reboots where characters wouldn't return. It came from how Brawl got rid of Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, Mewtwo, and Roy. Cuts came about due to certain circumstances, but as time went on, we learned that Sakurai doesn't like to cut characters from each new entry (assuming he actually spoke about this in an interview). In this example, it's once again public ignorance assuming Sakurai has made that statement. It's like when Isabelle was revealed as a non-Echo Fighter in the September Direct: That got Shadow's fanbase demanding their Most-Wanted to be unique as well just because they had different expectations with Isabelle. Never mind the fact that Isabelle is a first-party character with certain privileges, while a unique Shadow would have made unique Richter a missed opportunity.
The hell do you mean those don’t count as trends? If something happens for three games in a row, how is it not a trend exactly? If Simon is taking our retro character spot, then that still means that “spot for a character who only ever had one game on the NES, and faded into obscurity since then” still didn’t happen. Which has happened three games in a row. This is a trend braking.

You give really good explanations on why exactly these trends were broken, but that doesn’t mean that they still weren’t trends that were broken. You’re essentially just saying “yeah this was kind of a rule before but they broke it because that character made sense/fit well/was a big request.” Which is why fan made trends and even Sakurai made trends aren’t to be taken that seriously. Ultimately, adding good characters matters way more than some trend.

Now that was too much of the word trend. The word has lost all meaning.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Honestly, I think that they kept Robin's Final Smash as-is simply because they thought it was funny. And you know what?

I honestly think that they're on to something, because I have an incredibly stupid smile on my face right now. We need more gags like this down the line.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So what are the odds that we'll get this guy in Smash for our Bandai Namco rep?

I just want to believe

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People making a big deal of this Chrom business is strange when Mario and Samus have been fighting themselves for years now.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
The problem here is you're making excuses to make your point of view valid. The argument against Chrom was "He can't be playable because he's Robin's Final Smash". Now that he's playable and still a final Smash DOES open that door. No matter how you justify it, all it is is dancing around the issue to make a fan rule more valid, especially when you have to delve into "Sakurai was lazy and didn't want to change it" after he already changed quite a few Final Smashes to begin with. The End result is simple, Sakurai didn't feel that it was a big enough deal to change.
But I never said that Chrom can't be playable because he's a Final Smash. That's not my argument at all. In the other post, I mentally juggled the idea of other Final Smash cameos possibly making Fighter appearances as well, but backtracked with Mii Fighter costume reveals being a similar situation. Chrom got into Ultimate for other reasons. His Final Smash has no bearing on him for this game. Now if we actually get to see a Final Smash character other than Chrom that's introduced as a Fighter in the same game we saw them debut as a Final Smash character, then we can talk trends.

You know what? New head-canon:
Chrom in Robin's Final Smash is a Chrom from an alternate time-line. Heh, Mythos, you did it again you stupid dumbass genius, you!
Smug_Phos_2.jpg

The hell do you mean those don’t count as trends? If something happens for three games in a row, how is it not a trend exactly? If Simon is taking our retro character spot, then that still means that “spot for a character who only ever had one game on the NES, and faded into obscurity since then” still didn’t happen. Which has happened three games in a row. This is a trend braking.

You give really good explanations on why exactly these trends were broken, but that doesn’t mean that they still weren’t trends that were broken. You’re essentially just saying “yeah this was kind of a rule before but they broke it because that character made sense/fit well/was a big request.” Which is why fan made trends and even Sakurai made trends aren’t to be taken that seriously. Ultimately, adding good characters matters way more than some trend.

Now that was too much of the word trend. The word has lost all meaning.
Speaking of actual game-changing (no pun intended, I swear) trends, how about we get our first third-party character who has never appeared on a Nintendo system ever. Not even a teeny tiny bit, unlike Cloud who's made appearances here and there?

C'mon Sakurai, you and Nintendo are buddy-buddy with Microsoft. Get in on that Master Chief hype train or so god help me!

In all seriousness though, I'm not against rules being "broken" so much as they bring about the worst in this fandom. Piranha Plant's announcement opened the gateway to a camp of people who think characters like Goku and and Mickey are locks just because of the weird timing of his inclusion (never mind the fact that he isn't the first playable mook in Smash either). The truth is, he's just that: A bizarro character that subverts our expectations, but doesn't do anything crazy-weird that immediately justifies Master Chief or even Kratos. If get characters like Master Chief, then those characters would shatter the currently-unbroken-trend that is dipping your toes in Nintendo's pool to be a valid candidate. Hell, I want 2B in Smash, provided she gets NieR: Automata ported to the Switch, but I'd make due with her breaking that trend too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People making a big deal of this Chrom business is strange when Mario and Samus have been fighting themselves for years now.
Because people act like a character with an NPC role can't be anything else.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Oh boy...
This is the current state of the thread
View attachment 181373
You:
Robin_tldr.gif

Me:
imsoshocked.png

From this day forward (or night, depending on your time zone), The Text-Wall Battle of Smashboards (December 4th, 2018) has left Idon a cowering mess at the sight of aggressive text. He fears the day Phoenix Wright is announced as a Fighter character, reminded through the lawyer's loud phrases and text bubbles of the words that nearly forced him out of his apartment's window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom