• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

think bigger
NO

Going back to the Grinch Hoax though, I will say we got some good memes out of it.

This is just the tip of the iceberg too. I'm still waiting for the 4chan reaction compilation of when it was confirmed fake.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
From what I recall he hasn't been seen as a Spirit and also a reason to promote Yoshi's Crafted World next year.
They could just be saving the Poochy spirit as a bonus for Crafted World players, like the Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee spirits.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Banjo-Kazooie
Lloyd Irving
Poochy
Sephiroth
Sylux

If these were the final five how would you guys feel? Personally I'd be satisfied. Its got Banjo and another Metroid rep IMO would be very welcoming on top of a third party villain. I also know of a certain someone who'd be happy with Poochy's inclusion. :p
Banjo and Sylux would be dope as heck. Don't care for Poochy and Lloyd, but I would legit fight to not make the Square rep Sephiroth. I despise him.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
From what I recall he hasn't been seen as a Spirit and also a reason to promote Yoshi's Crafted World next year.

That and another Yoshi rep would be a nice warm welcome.
Just wondering, but would they actually be able to finish him in time to be able to promote Crafted World by the time it comes out in the Spring of next year? He isn’t the most complex design to model, but still.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Looks like Mewtwo won Smashvivor! Being the last on the blog...

"Child's play. I read everyone's votes. All i needed was a PP and future sight."

Well said, Mewtwo...

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Poochy spirit will probably be available with Crafted World, Sylux spirit with Prime 4.

Like Piakchu and Eevee for Let’s Go.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Looks like Mewtwo won Smashvivor! Being the last on the blog...

"Child's play. I read everyone's votes. All i needed was a PP and future sight."

Well said, Mewtwo...
In Japan. Mr. Game & Watch is still hanging on outside of the country. Wonder why they didn't put it up at the same time as the japanese blog?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
So....between Yuri and Lloyd I think I would pick Lloyd. Dual swords is at least something slightly different from most other sword users in the game

D

Deleted member

Lloyd seems pretty cool. I think he'd be interesting to see implemented in Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So....between Yuri and Lloyd I think I would pick Lloyd. Dual swords is at least something slightly different from most other sword users in the game
Same. That's why if I had to pick between him and Heihachi. It'd be Lloyd since Heihachi would just be another Ryu.

Alchadylan

Smash Cadet
What about an out there pick like Aya Brea for square? They just renewed the Parasite Eve trademark so it would be good for advertising a new game.

Calane

Smash Ace
There's no way SE is suddenly confident enough in DQ's international support to make that their rep will be from that series. I remember those long years waiting for us to get games like Dragon Quest X.

The logical part of me guesses either Sora because he's popular and can cross promote with KH3 supposedly close or maybe Lara Croft, since even though they would have to tone down her violence à la Snake, she's still considered an icon of classic gaming. However, the emotional part of me wants Squall. Simple as that.
Because I'm being lazy, I'll just recycle and modify one of my old arguments on why SE would want DQ in Smash.

I believe SE would see it as worth the risk to include DQ in Smash. The logic goes like this:

SE really wants DQ to become more popular in the west, and what better way to drum up interest in the franchise than to include it in Smash? It may seem like a risky move now, but that's only if you're thinking short-term. DQ's inclusion in Smash could massively increase interest in the series, thus leading to more sales for DQ XI S, thus getting DQ into more people's hands and possibly creating more fans in the west. An increasing fanbase could snowball from there, which could subsequently lead to more successful DQ releases in the future.

It's a risk that could massively pay off for the franchise both now and in the future. Basically, this is SE's big chance to really push DQ into the west, and it's a risk I think they'd be wise to act upon. This opportunity will probably never present itself again. If they really want DQ to become bigger in the west, then this is their chance to really get the ball rolling.

Dragon Quest is probably the biggest and most historically important video game series currently not in Smash. It's legendary. It's one of the few game franchises that truly "deserves" a spot due to how influential it is. For how important it is to gaming as a whole. I personally think its legacy is enough to get it in Smash alone, and it's definitely something I think Sakurai would like to represent in the greatest gaming crossover of all time. I believe it'd be a smart idea to use the VGAs to highlight the franchise while boosting the series' name further with a Smash DLC announcement. It would have people everywhere talking about Dragon Quest, and I'm sure that's something SE would very much like to happen.

To sum up:

Dragon Quest being promoted in Smash could probably be the push it needs to finally breakout in the west, thus leading to more successful western releases in the future. There's not much hype or interest surrounding DQ in the west, but it being in Smash could potentially change that.

I think Dragon Quest could benefit a lot from being in Smash (and has done more than enough to deserve it). It's something that I'm sure everyone involved would want to make happen, and not taking that chance could be a huge missed opportunity to increase interest in DQ. I mean, just look at how well it's already working. There's more people talking about DQ now than I've ever seen, and it's currently only because of rumors. Just imagine how big the interest would get if DQ actually got in.

Smash could be huge for the franchise. It would be foolish not to go for it.

There's some other stuff I could say, like how Nintendo would probably be interested in including the franchise themselves, but I'm feeling pretty lazy right now, so I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Because I'm being lazy, I'll just recycle and modify one of my old arguments on why SE would want DQ in Smash.

I believe SE would see it as worth the risk to include DQ in Smash. The logic goes like this:

SE really wants DQ to become more popular in the west, and what better way to drum up interest in the franchise than to include it in Smash? It may seem like a risky move now, but that's only if you're thinking short-term. DQ's inclusion in Smash could massively increase interest in the series, thus leading to more sales for DQ XI S, thus getting DQ into more people's hands and possibly creating more fans in the west. An increasing fanbase could snowball from there, which could subsequently lead to more successful DQ releases in the future.

It's a risk that could massively pay off for the franchise both now and in the future. Basically, this is SE's big chance to really push DQ into the west, and it's a risk I think they'd be wise to act upon. This opportunity will probably never present itself again. If they really want DQ to become bigger in the west, then this is their chance to really get the ball rolling.

Dragon Quest is probably the biggest and most historically important video game series currently not in Smash. It's legendary. It's one of the few game franchises that truly "deserves" a spot due to how influential it is. For how important it is to gaming as a whole. I personally think its legacy is enough to get it in Smash alone, and it's definitely something I think Sakurai would like to represent in the greatest gaming crossover of all time. I believe it'd be a smart idea to use the VGAs to highlight the franchise while boosting the series' name further with a Smash DLC announcement. It would have people everywhere talking about Dragon Quest, and I'm sure that's something SE would very much like to happen.

To sum up:

Dragon Quest being promoted in Smash could probably be the push it needs to finally breakout in the west, thus leading to more successful western releases in the future. There's not much hype or interest surrounding DQ in the west, but it being in Smash could potentially change that.

I think Dragon Quest could benefit a lot from being in Smash (and has done more than enough to deserve it). It's something that I'm sure everyone involved would want to make happen, and not taking that chance could be a huge missed opportunity to increase interest in DQ. I mean, just look at how well it's already working. There's more people talking about DQ now than I've ever seen, and it's currently only because of rumors. Just imagine how big the interest would get if DQ actually got in.

Smash could be huge for the franchise, and such an opportunity might never present itself again. They would be foolish not to take it.

There's some other stuff I could say, like how Nintendo would probably be interested in including the franchise themselves, but I'm feeling pretty lazy right now, so I'll just leave it at that.
Yeah that's the one I was talking about. This one right here.

This sort of practical long-con plan seems in line with what we know of Square Enix currently.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Dragon Quest is probably the biggest and most historically important video game series currently not in Smash. It's legendary. It's one of the few game franchises that truly "deserves" a spot due to how influential it is. For how important it is to gaming as a whole. I personally think its legacy is enough to get it in Smash alone, and it's definitely something I think Sakurai would like to represent in the greatest gaming crossover of all time.
Hell, It's legacy alone is reason for the existence of many series, including those already represented in Smash like Final Fantasy and Pokemon. It is not a stretch to say that the environment of gaming would be a very different place without Dragon Quest and it's one of the few franchises in the history of gaming that can really claim something like that.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Tales characters a pretty wide range of arts that can do pretty well for a moveset.

Though Lloyd is primarily a sword fighter he's got quite a bit of variation in them lol

My man, no. Just no. Heihachi wouldn't be another Ryu in the slightest. That's like saying Lloyd would just be another Marth.
Thought I remember reading somewhere once that Sakurai would think Heihachi would be difficult to implement due to Tekken's particular mechanics translating into Smash but I don't remember the exact thing that was said or when it was said.

D

Deleted member

And you know what the saddest thing about that whole scenario is?

THE FANBASE WAS ON TRACK TO HAVE REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS.

Like, before the Grinch Hoax the most people suggested besides Ken and Incineroar were maybe some third parties (Sora, Dante, Steve) and Celica because of that 4chan "leak" @Opossum made, but even then most people were ready to accept just Ken and Incineroar and call it a day.

And then the Grinch leak comes out with 7 ****ING CHARACTERS attached to it, all of which are popular picks for speculation, but at the same time has all these flaws. Despite this, people take it to be 100% primarily because of confirmation bias. The banner had already been faked before too, but despite that and other convincing evidence from vaan and Artsy Omni (is it okay to talk about him now, or is he still a shill?) most people believed it to be real and **** on people who even expressed doubt in it. I understand that the insiders acted immature, but they were beset by rabid hoards of Smash fans who were absolutely horrible to them and they lashed out in defense, so it's understandable. The evidence for the it was neat, but never came together similar to the evidence against it.

I've talked before about how dangerous expectations can be, and there's no better case study than the Grinch Hoax, where fan expectations got so high that they turned on any dissenters and bought into blind bias and tribalism.
The problem was that damn MGSV reference. I think we kinda undervalued that part of the hoax, because - while yes, this has been used so much - this would be something Sakurai would have in mind.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
People keep expecting more fighters from fighting games, which is so lame.
I blame Sakurai for this.

D

Deleted member

Thought I remember reading somewhere once that Sakurai would think Heihachi would be difficult to implement due to Tekken's particular mechanics translating into Smash but I don't remember the exact thing that was said or when it was said.
I remembered hearing about that too. But still, saying Heihachi would be another Ryu is kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My man, no. Just no. Heihachi wouldn't be another Ryu in the slightest. That's like saying Lloyd would just be another Marth.
Wrong.

Every single martial artist that wears a gi and fights with their bare hands is exactly the same.
Tekken?
King of Fighters?
Virtua Fighter?
Dead or Alive?
I can't believe they all have Ryu copy-pasted over.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yes, Sakurai did say that translating Tekken to Smash was a huge undertaking.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yes, Sakurai did say that translating Tekken to Smash was a huge undertaking.
On one hand, there's been plenty of time for Sakurai to find ways to make it happen.

On the other, the PS All-Stars devs had to create new moves for Heihachi, such as throwing bowling pins and airdashing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wrong.

Every single martial artist that wears a gi and fights with their bare hands is exactly the same.
Tekken?
King of Fighters?
Virtua Fighter?
Dead or Alive?
Not surprising, considering every JRPG character with a sword fight in exact same way. No magic, no arts, no dragon blood, no limit, no nothing. Video game developers are lazy.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Hell, It's legacy alone is reason for the existence of many series, including those already represented in Smash like Final Fantasy and Pokemon. It is not a stretch to say that the environment of gaming would be a very different place without Dragon Quest and it's one of the few franchises in the history of gaming that can really claim something like that.
Dragon Quest is among one of my favorite franchises, admittedly more so as I've gotten older, probably because as the JRPG industry has changed heavily, Dragon Quest has stayed pretty close to its roots which is comforting in a way. Dragon Quest 5 and 8 are probably among my personal favorite games of all time. It's probably why I have different expectations when I play one compared to even other JRPG.

I remembered hearing about that too. But still, saying Heihachi would be another Ryu is kinda ridiculous if you ask me.
I have no doubt. Street Fighter and Tekken are two very different kinds of fighting games.

D

Deleted member

Wrong.

Tekken?
King of Fighters?
Virtua Fighter?
Dead or Alive?
You're right man. And how about those JRPG characters?
Fire Emblem?
Xenoblade Chronicles?
Shin Megami Tensei?
Tales of?
Final Fantasy?
All of them are the same man. They all have characters that just have copied Marth onto them.
Sakruai shouldn't put in any effort in putting more JRPG characters into Smash. /S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom