• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Not sure if you are being serious or not; however, Goku, the most requested character in Smash history, does not even have his own thread because of the whole video-game origination rule that was already broken over a decade ago. He just has some cheap knock-off thread because a Nintendo character besmirches his name.
But Morbi, we already have enough anime characters in Smash.
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4corrin::4shulk::4cloud:

Do we really need more?
:troll:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Assume that it is true. Who else do they even add, fam? Sure, you have your new Pokemon, new Fire Emblem character, Arms, Splatoon, and Xenoblade. Other than that, however, who are they going to add?

Think about it this way, mate, most everyone they added in Smash 4, they passed over in Brawl. And yet, here we are. There is only so much room during each Smash, names are bound to be left behind only to be revisited.

If the ballot determined third-party characters, here we come Goku, true winner of the ballot. :cool:

I do not recall that caveat.
What I mean is a lot of people think that Smash 5 will pull from the most popular polls from the ballot. I do not think that is the case though. I think popularity is one of the last considerations on Sakurai's list. If a character is for example "too big" or "not relevant enough" then I don't believe that because they were high on the polls and got a Mii hat that they will be in smash 5. For example I think Dixie will get in before K rule. And if that is the case Dixie had support on the ballot too so they can say they pulled from the ballot. The joke is all the Nintendo characters were somewhere on the ballot. So how does that even matter?

What I'm trying to figure out is what did Sakurai actually want the poll for? I believe the poll is mostly used for third parties because it takes a while to do the licensing and agreements.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Really? I think I actually prefer anime Mimikyu, game Mimikyu felt too much like Gamefreak was trying too hard to give Pikachu his own "I live in the popular guy's shadow" Luigi equivalent. Even though Raichu already exists....
I Hate The Characterization of Mimikyu in the Anime ; It's Cliche, It's Mean-Spirited; and goes completely against Every single Reason that I Love Mimikyu whatsoever INCLUDING The In-Game Characterization!!

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post
Am I seeing "Mimikyu is a villain"? Are you guys just scheduling to make one dumb *** take a day after seeing the "IT'S GONNA BE A REBOOT THAT CATERS TOWARDS COMPETITIVE" ****e again?
I Know right?!! I Utterly Despise that Notion of My Favorite Pokemon(Mimikyu) being pure evil!!

You know what? Screw it. I'd support Godzilla in Smash. If we're going to entertain the possibility of every random character under the sun, why not the greatest of all time?

I mean:
• Japan loves him
• He's had exclusive games on Nintendo platforms
• He's taken down Charles Barkley
• As a fire breathing agent of death, he'd fill Ridley's vacant spot. He could even have a purple color scheme!
• His size changes all the time, so scaling him down shouldn't be a problem

Does he already have a support thread? ;)
But he's not a Character whom ORIGINATES from a Video Game; so Masahiro Sakurai WON'T being Putting Gojira in Smash ever; that's why there won't be any Characters who originate from Animes(No Jojos, no Kakarots, No Monkey D's, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
You could make a case for most Ghost-type Pokemon being "evil". You could make a case for Mewtwo, or Genesect, maaaaybe for Arceus too

But Mimikyu?

That dude just wants a friend

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Am I seeing "Mimikyu is a villain"? Are you guys just scheduling to make one dumb *** take a day after seeing the "IT'S GONNA BE A REBOOT THAT CATERS TOWARDS COMPETITIVE" ****e again?
Apparently in the anime right now there's one that is very antagonistic and vindictive towards Pikachu. That's where it's coming from.
I Know right?!! I Utterly Despise that Notion of My Favorite Pokemon(Mimikyu) being pure evil!!
OK, seriously, calm down a little. And lay off the exclamation marks.

But he's not a Character whom ORIGINATES from a Video Game; so Masahiro Sakurai WON'T being Putting Gojira in Smash ever; that's why there won't be any Characters who originate from Animes(No Jojos, no Kakarots, No Monkey D's, etc)
It was a joke ;)

Yes there is. And that thing (or rather that person) is Dr. Ryuta Kawashima. From Real Life, no less.

It's odd to think he could play Smash and see his face suddenly pop up and start shooting numbers at people

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Apparently in the anime right now there's one that is very antagonistic and vindictive towards Pikachu. That's where it's coming from.

OK, seriously, calm down a little. And lay off the exclamation marks.

It was a joke ;)

It's odd to think he could play Smash and see his face suddenly pop up and start shooting numbers at people
Yeah but again, a single Mimikyu doesn't counteract the entire fandom's interpretation and that song that was made

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Yeah but again, a single Mimikyu doesn't counteract the entire fandom's interpretation and that song that was made
That's the same boat Mewtwo is in really. His most famous version was tragic, and a bit of a villain, so that's what's stuck. Same could happen to Mimikyu. Because he's a species, in terms of Smash it really depends what personality they decide to give him. Mewtwo as a fighter definitely leans into the evil side of the character, so who knows which way Mimikyu would go.

Regardless of all that:
• It's a ghost type
• It wears another Pokemon's face to try and be loved
• Under the cloak -> "It is believed that seeing its true form will cause a mysterious illness or even a painful death"
• It's Z-move is called "Let's Snuggle Forever", where it proceeds to hunt it's opponent and then envelope them in darkness, with it's glowing red eyes as the last thing it's opponent sees

I mean, it's a little creepy even without the anime version :p

That song is adorable though.

UserKev

Smash Champion
No It didn't; You know what, since I know you're gonna think your own opinion, and it's obvious how I feel about this, Let's just simply Agree to disagree!!
Your a stupid unoriginal user. Mimikyu, is a villain. Its just good at deceiving no brainers like you.

I know your trying to mess with me and, its working. Got some room on my ignore list just for you. So long, buddy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's the same boat Mewtwo is in really. His most famous version was tragic, and a bit of a villain, so that's what's stuck. Same could happen to Mimikyu. Because he's a species, in terms of Smash it really depends what personality they decide to give him. Mewtwo as a fighter definitely leans into the evil side of the character, so who knows which way Mimikyu would go.

Regardless of all that:
• It's a ghost type
• It wears another Pokemon's face to try and be loved
• Under the cloak -> "It is believed that seeing its true form will cause a mysterious illness or even a painful death"
• It's Z-move is called "Let's Snuggle Forever", where it proceeds to hunt it's opponent and then envelope them in darkness, with it's glowing red eyes as the last thing it's opponent sees

I mean, it's a little creepy even without the anime version :p

That song is adorable though.
Well Mewtwo's almost always been depicted of a tragic villain iirc, a manmade monster who's only purpose was to destroy
Your a stupid unoriginal user. Mimikyu, is a villain. Its just good at deceiving no brainers like you.

I know your trying to mess with me and, its working. Got some room on my ignore list just for you. So long, buddy.
BUT HE'S JUST REPRESENTING BALANCE X DEEEEEEE
**** off with that, you're just wrong and can't handle that

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Dedede is my favorite anime character.

Speaking of Kirby, what villain from Kirby do you think is the likeliest? I keep flip-flopping between Marx and Dark Matter. Marx has been playable recently, but Dark Matter had a boss fight in Kirby Planet Robobot.

Plus there's the fact that the final boss in Star Allies totally looks like Dark Matter at times

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Speaking of Kirby, what villain from Kirby do you think is the likeliest? I keep flip-flopping between Marx and Dark Matter. Marx has been playable recently, but Dark Matter had a boss fight in Kirby Planet Robobot.

Plus there's the fact that the final boss in Star Allies totally looks like Dark Matter at times
Dark Matter wasn't made by Sakurai. Marx was. Sakurai has yet to show behaviour that'd contradict bias claims for Kirby

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Because Xenoblade totally didn't debut during the Wii era and wasn't already represented with :4shulk: in Smash 4.

(Not against Rex & Pyra, but you should've worded that as "new games".)
Yeah, probably should've. I was tired last night though. Plus most of them like Labo Man and Spring Man were new, so.. Most were new IPs.

Daisy support!!!

Kinda sounds like someone here when they talk about certain Mario characters...
Eh, Daisy could be a full character swap for Peach, like the Koopalings for Bowser Jr.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Marx. Sakurai bias + greater moveset potential.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Frankly if Mimikyu got in I really hope they'd steer clear of the anime characterization. It completely misses the point of the Pokémon to the point that it's a mean-spirited parody of itself.

I'd prefer Decidueye anyway, but if we got Mimikyu I'd rather not have the bastardized version from the anime.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Dark Matter wasn't made by Sakurai. Marx was. Sakurai has yet to show behaviour that'd contradict bias claims for Kirby
Honestly, that's a real shame. I looked up the Kirby games he worked on and I don't think Dark Matter was in any of them.

It's such a shame that normal speculation for Kirby games are thrown right out the window. I'd argue that Dark Matter has way more relevance at the time of Smash Switch's speculated development, plus is more iconic in design just due to how many Kirby bosses are just Dark Matter "clones".

Marx would be cool too, but I kinda like Dark Matter too much.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah, I've really come around on Marx. The version of him from Star Allies would fit into Smash perfectly.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Honestly, that's a real shame. I looked up the Kirby games he worked on and I don't think Dark Matter was in any of them.

It's such a shame that normal speculation for Kirby games are thrown right out the window. I'd argue that Dark Matter has way more relevance at the time of Smash Switch's speculated development, plus is more iconic in design just due to how many Kirby bosses are just Dark Matter "clones".

Marx would be cool too, but I kinda like Dark Matter too much.
I'd be happy with either honestly. If the bias continues and Marx gets in, I'd be really excited. If the it ends and Dark Matter gets chosen, I could also live with that.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I've been flip-flopping between wanting Porky, or Ninten. I'd prefer if Ninten was added so the trio of protagonists for Mother could be completed, but he'd be such a Ness clone.

Stratos

Smash Ace
If Greninja return, I'm sure that will it Final Smash is the Bond Phenomenon transform the Ash-Greninja.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Seeing Marx in star allies literally made me want him over Dark Matter, despite wanting Dark Matter since before smash 4.

That was only temporary though. I'm not really opposed to Marx at all anymore, I'd just prefer Dark Matter. Dark Matter acting like he does in Planet: Robobot would be ideal and I think would be easy to make a moveset for. Probably because he has a sword. BUT ALSO LASERS AND HOMING PROJECTILES! I think there's enough for him to have a unique moveset, but we probably won't ever see that in action since he probably won't be a dream friend.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
...uh, Dark Matter has no arms.

Seriously, I wonder if any of you guy really mean or think about what you say... or type.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Marx would be a good fighter to have in Smash Bros.
back then I never cared for him, now I think he could be a cool addition in Smash Bros. thanks to Star Allies. :p

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Frankly if Mimikyu got in I really hope they'd steer clear of the anime characterization. It completely misses the point of the Pokémon to the point that it's a mean-spirited parody of itself.
I Whole-heartedly agree with this statement!! I Don't want Mimikyu to be shown to be as Heartless & Murderous as the one who Belongs to Jessie from Team Rocket; and It does completely miss the point of Mimikyu's Existance & Purpose as a Pokemon.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner was Snake, who I honestly should have had in the first MGS poll to begin with. It seems nobody wants Volgin at a all, though some would find Quiet or Vamp cool.

Next will be the last MGS poll, this time focusing on Raiden's only spinoff since he's met some new friends and foes. Your choices are Jetstream Sam, Senator Armstrong, Bladewolf, and Sundowner.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom