• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Speaking of the ballot. This was asked before but do you think that some of the DLC Mii costumes were actually high on the ballot and these are consolation prizes? So you think some of those mii costumes will be playable characters?
I think it was a mix of stuff Sakurai likes and stuff the fans wanted. Stuff like flying man or Heihachi is stuff rooted in either the game or Namco stuff Sakurai likes, but stuff like K Rool and especially Geno screams fan ballot. The only place I ever see these two characters being discussed is in the Smash community, but casuals outvoted them with Bayonetta.

I’m in the camp that strongly believes K. Rool will be in the next game, and as crazy as it is to say, since Clouds already in the game I could see Geno being added. He is he only mii costume with a splash screen.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think it was a mix of stuff Sakurai likes and stuff the fans wanted. Stuff like flying man or Heihachi is stuff rooted in either the game or Namco stuff Sakurai likes, but stuff like K Rool and especially Geno screams fan ballot. The only place I ever see these two characters being discussed is in the Smash community, but casuals outvoted them with Bayonetta.

I’m in the camp that strongly believes K. Rool will be in the next game, and as crazy as it is to say, since Clouds already in the game I could see Geno being added. He is he only mii costume with a splash screen.
I believe they were actually planning on adding Heihachi, but he moved weird. Ryu says, "eat your heart out, Heihachi." Beyond that, he confirmed Geno is requested for some reason and when you apply that to the ever so "irrelevant" that could not be added because he was irrelevant: King K. Rool, it seems pretty obvious to me that a lot of them were considered.

Again, as you stated, Flying Man, probably not. That is just a fun costume. The notable ones that were released later, yeah, blatantly likely this next go around, if you ask me.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Speaking of the ballot. This was asked before but do you think that some of the DLC Mii costumes were actually high on the ballot and these are consolation prizes? So you think some of those mii costumes will be playable characters?
For some of the hats that's probably the case, I'm pretty sure it was true for the K. Rool hat at least as he was by all accounts very popular both in the west and in Japan, and there really was no other reason to add him as a hat given his lack of relevancy. It's likely the same was true for Geno, and while the Inklings probably did well in the ballot I reckon they'd have gotten those hats either way (and obviously they're in now regardless of how they did). Beyond that I don't think any of the others were influenced by the ballot, there are some really obscure ones like Black Knight, Lloyd and Flying Man, while the likes of Isabelle and Skull Kid were probably just because they were easily reusable assets.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I believe they were actually planning on adding Heihachi, but he moved weird. Ryu says, "eat your heart out, Heihachi." Beyond that, he confirmed Geno is requested for some reason and when you apply that to the ever so "irrelevant" that could not be added because he was irrelevant: King K. Rool, it seems pretty obvious to me that a lot of them were considered.

Again, as you stated, Flying Man, probably not. That is just a fun costume. The notable ones that were released later, yeah, blatantly likely this next go around, if you ask me.
Actually I’m thinking about it, and flying man would make a great earthbound rep. It appeared in two of the games and looks like it could be really fun to play as.

Morbi

Scavenger
For some of the hats that's probably the case, I'm pretty sure it was true for the K. Rool hat at least as he was by all accounts very popular both in the west and in Japan, and there really was no other reason to add him as a hat given his lack of relevancy. It's hard to say if that was also the case for Inklings and Geno, but it's a possibility. Beyond that I don't think any of the others were influenced by the ballot, there are some really obscure ones like Black Knight, Lloyd and Flying Man, while the likes of Isabelle and Skull Kid were probably just because they were easily reusable assets.
Hard to say, mate? Not sure if you checked out the reveal trailer, but Inklings are coming to Smash and Splatoon sold over 4 million. Ha ha ha... I am pretty sure.

Oh, I forgot about Isabelle, more foreshadowing!

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
For some of the hats that's probably the case, I'm pretty sure it was true for the K. Rool hat at least as he was by all accounts very popular both in the west and in Japan, and there really was no other reason to add him as a hat given his lack of relevancy. It's hard to definitively say if that was also the case for Inklings and Geno, but it's likely. Beyond that I don't think any of the others were influenced by the ballot, there are some really obscure ones like Black Knight, Lloyd and Flying Man, while the likes of Isabelle and Skull Kid were probably just because they were easily reusable assets.
I think Lloyd was a costume because one of the tales developers was working on the game, but he was heavily requested prior to pacmans reveal

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So should each character have their own unique break the target and board the platform stages?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That's it guys, based on the first character mentioned by members on the last page we could expect one of the following;

- Sans.
- Minecraft Steve.
- Ridley.
- Goku.
- Pyra & Mythra.
- Tingle.
- Wolf.
- Crash Bandicoot.
- Ayumi Tachibana.
- Shovel Knight.
- Tetris Blocks.
- Snail.
- Lip.
- Lego Paper Mario.
- Raiden.
- Godzilla.

Hot damn folks, this is going to be a wild WTF addition, "I'm really feeling it."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hard to say, mate? Not sure if you checked out the reveal trailer, but Inklings are coming to Smash and Splatoon sold over 4 million. Ha ha ha... I am pretty sure.

Oh, I forgot about Isabelle, more foreshadowing!
My comment was more about whether they did well in the ballot or not, I edited my comment a bit to make it more clear :p

So should each character have their own unique break the target and board the platform stages?
At least Break the Targets, I can understand if they don't think Board the Platforms is worth bringing back on top of that.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes, absolutely, surely, definitely, 100%, um... yeah?

They should and it would be a better use of his time than the other gimmicks that everyone is going to use once and try and forget ever existed; however, it is just not going to happen. Too many characters and Sakurai has gotten really lazy, or maybe he was always lazy but it becomes increasingly apparent release after release with minimal changes. Inb4 "well dats teh wae fiting gaems twerk" from a Smasher that has never played a fighting game.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I’m actually really surprised how popular bandanna dee is. I thought he’d only really be popular over here, but a lot of my casual friends say they’d want waddle dee in smash, and when I mentioned having waddle dee in smash to a friend who I thought would laugh at the idea, he mentione that he wanted the one with the bandanna in.

Bandanna dee just seems like an overall well-liked and deserving character who’s popular everywhere, so if he’s not in the game I’ll be surprised.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I just love how you call them "casual" friends. :laugh:
Yeah, Bandana Waddle Dee is actually quite popular, and I do hope he will be there. He is the only Kirby character I'd personally would love to see on the actual roster.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I just love how you call them "casual" friends. :laugh:
Yeah, Bandana Waddle Dee is actually quite popular, and I do hope he will be there. He is the only Kirby character I'd personally would love to see on the actual roster.
By causal I mean they’re either pc or Xbox gamers.

I have a friend who’s strongly against many characters in smash, such as most of he third parties, fire emblem, xenoblade, and Pokemon characters, but even he says he’d want waddle dee in smash Bros.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I am not sure, fam, Minecraft is already one of the biggest games (IP) out there. I am not sure if it was number 1, 2, or 3 of all-time; however, getting Steve in Smash would hardly push the brand and he is realistically not even an aspect as to why Minecraft was a massive hit in the first place. It is not even as though putting a Microsoft character on a Nintendo console would be vaguely beneficial to them outside of trying to push a more or less dead franchise in the first place, so I guess Steve would be the best, but I am not really seeing WHY they would be interested. As hype as Smash is, it is probably being oversold if you believe it will impact Minecraft of all things.
Yeah I agree I don’t think Minecraft needs smash to bump sales or something, not exactly what I meant even if I worded and frames it in that way, was more just giving a business perspective which is how a company would generally look at making a smash deal. I don’t think they’d feel that Steve being in smash would push Minecraft sales in a significant way necessarily but it keeps the character and franchise alive and fresh I guess is what I was getting at, where as with simply a stage like I said I feel people would soon forget Minecraft was a part of smash if it happened that way. Where as with a character people remember.

Keeping a franchise in the public’s eye is important for reasons beyond direct sales figures for the game itself. Which is I guess what I was trying to say, and having a Minecraft character would do that where as a stage might not.

Morbi

Scavenger
I’m actually really surprised how popular bandanna dee is. I thought he’d only really be popular over here, but a lot of my casual friends say they’d want waddle dee in smash, and when I mentioned having waddle dee in smash to a friend who I thought would laugh at the idea, he mentione that he wanted the one with the bandanna in.

Bandanna dee just seems like an overall well-liked and deserving character who’s popular everywhere, so if he’s not in the game I’ll be surprised.
I believe it is a vicious cycle of Kirby maintaining relevance and Bandana Dee consistently appearing in those games that fill the gaps between real Nintendo releases. Even I wanted him last time, almost out of obligation. Similar to how a lot of people perceive Toad, I suppose. Albeit, last time, I wanted a spear play-style and Palutena has more or less turned me off from the idea entirely.

It is just repetition. It is why people want Waluigi as well. Obviously it is not the only reason, but if Nintendo wanted to promote, say Black Shadow, they could just start putting him in everything and before you know it, people would start requesting him. Speaking of which, that is pretty much how it worked for Isabelle.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Mimikyu is NOT A villain!!! The Anime Ruined everything I loved about Mikikyu; How Sympathizable it was; How it wanted to be loved; and Turned it into a Cliche Genocidal Imp of pure evil!!
Not sure if, I should take this quote seriously or just respond seriously.

The anime ruined everything about Mimikyu, for you. And, I said it leaned more towards a villain anyway.

Morbi

Scavenger

The anime ruined everything about Mimikyu, for you. And, I said it leaned more towards a villain anyway.
I have no idea what either of you are talking about; however, one Mimikyu from the anime is not indicative of Mimikyu as a whole. Look at Ash's Pikachu, see how much of a ***** he is? Now take a look at Pokken, see how alpha that Pikachu is? Take another look at Ash's Pikachu, see how devoid of any non-*****-like personality he is? Now take a look at Detective Pikachu, see all of that charm? The anime never ruined Pikachu, it just gave us one portrayal, and while it might be bad, there are other, much cooler Pikachu, like the one that surfs.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Impa for the love god just add Impa...

Mossy Hero Samurai!!!!

Hyrule Warriors constantly makes me frown at Smash with some of its portrayals.

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I lowkey expect a lot of the big fan choices to make the cut this go around. Lots of characters I doubted would make it into Smash 4 I now think have got a legitimate shot. We'll see, I think it will depend on who we see announced before/at E3.
Honestly I don't think the ballot is going to amount to "jack squat" (insert Chris Farley impression here) The reason being the Nintendo characters on the ballot have been on there for a while and they have been passed over already. Not only that, any Nintendo character you add will have had some support on the ballot. So in the long run, if they were passed over for not being "feasible" it wont matter how much support they got, Sakurai is just going to pass over them again.

I think the only thing the Ballot is really going to decide are the third party characters and assist trophies.

PS. Also didnt they say you couldnt vote for people who were already in the game? So would that mean Sakurai is saying no way to Skull kid, Ashley, and Ridley period this time around?

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly I don't think the ballot is going to amount to "jack squat" (insert Chris Farley impression here) The reason being the Nintendo characters on the ballot have been on there for a while and they have been passed over already. Not only that, any Nintendo character you add will have had some support on the ballot. So in the long run, if they were passed over for not being "feasible" it wont matter how much support they got, Sakurai is just going to pass over them again.

I think the only thing the Ballot is really going to decide are the third party characters and assist trophies.

PS. Also didnt they say you couldnt vote for people who were already in the game? So would that mean Sakurai is saying no way to Skull kid, Ashley, and Ridley period this time around?
Assume that it is true. Who else do they even add, fam? Sure, you have your new Pokemon, new Fire Emblem character, Arms, Splatoon, and Xenoblade. Other than that, however, who are they going to add?

Think about it this way, mate, most everyone they added in Smash 4, they passed over in Brawl. And yet, here we are. There is only so much room during each Smash, names are bound to be left behind only to be revisited.

If the ballot determined third-party characters, here we come Goku, true winner of the ballot. :cool:

I do not recall that caveat.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Godzilla. :cool:

Let's go for the one that would take less legal hoops to jump through and is a bigger (no pun intended) icon among characters from other media.
You know what? Screw it. I'd support Godzilla in Smash. If we're going to entertain the possibility of every random character under the sun, why not the greatest of all time?

I mean:
• Japan loves him
• He's had exclusive games on Nintendo platforms
• He's taken down Charles Barkley
• As a fire breathing agent of death, he'd fill Ridley's vacant spot. He could even have a purple color scheme!
• His size changes all the time, so scaling him down shouldn't be a problem

Does he already have a support thread? ;)

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If I recall correctly K. Rool and Inkling are the only Nintendo owned characters to get Mii costumes that didn't reuse assets from other models in the game (Flying Man had a unused 3D model which was used for his costume).

The Inkling costume was likely put in to promote Splatoon which realeased around the same time, but for K. Rool the costume was likely made from scratch, because of his fan demand.

Edit: I guess there are the Link and Fox costumes if you want to count them.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Most unique of the potential fighters in my opinion.

Toon Zelda
Toon Zelda's unique ability is that she starts out in a super heavy, powerful suit of armor with strong, heavy attacks. The more damage she takes, the more of her armor falls off, making her lighter. Eventually the armor will break and you will be playing as Spirit Zelda. Unlike her Phantom form, she has no special attacks other than her ability to channel her energy (similar to Wii Fit Trainer) so that she can regain her armor.

Though she is a spirit, you can still attack her and she can use non special attacks. She also has the option (When wearing Phantom Armor) to shed her armor with an explosion as a down special.

The difference here between Zelda & Sheik is that Toon Zelda's different forms are not different fighters, although they do have different attacks. It's merely switching between whether you want to be slow, but powerful or quick, but weak. They are not separate characters with unique data, Final Smashes, victory poses, etc.

Paper Mario
Paper Mario's unique ability is that he is actually a stack of FIVE Paper Marios. He can separate and multiply as well. After losing his copies, he becomes the lightest character in the game.

Balloon Fighter
Balloon Figher is kind of a reverse Little Mac. He's quite useless on the ground, but a supreme aerial fighter. He uses his down special to pump more balloons, kind of like Olimar becomes more useful with more Pikmin.

Other unique abilities include sparks, flippers, and an up aerial that releases a balloon into the air that pushes the opponent up (like Mega Man's up aerial) which eventually gets bigger and pops.

Captain Toad/Toadette
Captain Toad's unique ability is that once he takes excessive damage, he shrinks to Small Captain Toad. He can also summon help from the members of the Toad Brigade. He can't weild them like Pikmin, but it makes him a "follow the leader" type character.

Takamaru
A sword that can swipe through anything and the ability to turn invisible.

Bomberman
Has a move set that revolves around explosives.

Simon Belmont
Simon's whip makes him the only character with a weapon that has physics as well as a weapon with eight directional attacks instead of four.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You know what? Screw it. I'd support Godzilla in Smash. If we're going to entertain the possibility of every random character under the sun, why not the greatest of all time?

I mean:
• Japan loves him
• He's had exclusive games on Gamecube/Wii
• He's taken down Charles Barkley
• As a fire breathing agent of death, he'd fill Ridley's vacant spot. He could even have a purple color scheme!
• His size changes all the time, so scaling him down shouldn't be a problem

Does he already have a support thread? ;)
Not sure if you are being serious or not; however, Goku, the most requested character in Smash history, does not even have his own thread because of the whole video-game origination rule that was already broken over a decade ago. He just has some cheap knock-off thread because a Nintendo character besmirches his name.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Do we have a list anywhere of Nintendo IP's not currently represented in smash? Would be interesting to see what's left.

Also, are there any stages in smash history without a character rep? For the life of me I can't rememeber.

D

Deleted member

He's had exclusive games on Gamecube/Wii
Wrong. The GameCube game was ported to Xbox later, and the Wii game was technically multiplat, although each version was very different from each other.

He did have exclusives on the NES, SNES, Game Boy, and GBA at least, though.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Most unique of the potential fighters in my opinion.

Toon Zelda
Toon Zelda's unique ability is that she starts out in a super heavy, powerful suit of armor with strong, heavy attacks. The more damage she takes, the more of her armor falls off, making her lighter. Eventually the armor will break and you will be playing as Spirit Zelda. Unlike her Phantom form, she has no special attacks other than her ability to channel her energy (similar to Wii Fit Trainer) so that she can regain her armor.

Though she is a spirit, you can still attack her and she can use non special attacks. She also has the option (When wearing Phantom Armor) to shed her armor with an explosion as a down special.

The difference here between Zelda & Sheik is that Toon Zelda's different forms are not different fighters, although they do have different attacks. It's merely switching between whether you want to be slow, but powerful or quick, but weak. They are not separate characters with unique data, Final Smashes, victory poses, etc.

Paper Mario
Paper Mario's unique ability is that he is actually a stack of FIVE Paper Marios. He can separate and multiply as well. After losing his copies, he becomes the lightest character in the game.

Balloon Fighter
Balloon Figher is kind of a reverse Little Mac. He's quite useless on the ground, but a supreme aerial fighter. He uses his down special to pump more balloons, kind of like Olimar becomes more useful with more Pikmin.

Other unique abilities include sparks, flippers, and an up aerial that releases a balloon into the air that pushes the opponent up (like Mega Man's up aerial) which eventually gets bigger and pops.

Captain Toad/Toadette
Captain Toad's unique ability is that once he takes excessive damage, he shrinks to Small Captain Toad. He can also summon help from the members of the Toad Brigade. He can't weild them like Pikmin, but it makes him a "follow the leader" type character.

Takamaru
A sword that can swipe through anything and the ability to turn invisible.

Bomberman
Has a move set that revolves around explosives.

Simon Belmont
Simon's whip makes him the only character with a weapon that has physics as well as a weapon with eight directional attacks instead of four.
If they won't make Toon Link a unique character they likely won't make Toon Zelda a unique character.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Do we have a list anywhere of Nintendo IP's not currently represented in smash? Would be interesting to see what's left.

Also, are there any stages in smash history without a character rep? For the life of me I can't rememeber.
The list would be nearly limitless, there are so many garbage IP that such a list would be nearly impossible to create. There are a couple. Hanenbow, or whatever comes to mind mostly because I hated that stage.

That being said, I can tell you what is left, anything that came out after Smash for Wii U is left. So basically Arms.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The Dillon's Rolling Western series still seems pretty small. It's finally getting a physical release which is something, but I want to see if they continue to make Dillon games outside of the 3DS.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If they won't make Toon Link a unique character they likely won't make Toon Zelda a unique character.
To be fair, I believe Toon Link was added later in Brawl's development, so there probably wasn't much they could've done with the remaining time besides a semi-clone moveset (granted, even if they had the extra development time to work on him more, Toon Link still could've ended up as a clone, but still).

I could see Toon Zelda being handled similarly to Luigi or Wolf in the sense that she's obviously got a few moves inspired from Zelda, but her status as a semi-clone is debatable.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Not sure if you are being serious or not; however, Goku, the most requested character in Smash history, does not even have his own thread because of the whole video-game origination rule that was already broken over a decade ago. He just has some cheap knock-off thread because a Nintendo character besmirches his name.
95% - sarcasm/parody
5% - if we're requesting impossible 3rd/4th-Party characters, I may as well plant my flag with a good one

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman

No It didn't; You know what, since I know you're gonna think your own opinion, and it's obvious how I feel about this, Let's just simply Agree to disagree!!

D

Deleted member

This is brought up a lot, but I am honestly hoping for a few voice changes.

:4bowser::4dk::4diddy:: They need their in-game voices instead of animalistic voices. As much as I gotten attached to the animalistic voices, I would like it better to see their in-game voices. Just saying. Considering the animal voices got less realistic from Melee/Brawl to Smash 4, I am really happy with changing their animal voices into their in-game voices. Bowser's meanicing voice is so popular, why make it animalistic? Bring their in-game voices to them instead of their animalistic voices.

:4fox:: I would like to see his Brawl voice return. His 64 voice seems very off-character for Fox.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
If I have to say something, I think HAL should focus on all the 1st & 2nd Party content first for smash.

Then, have 3rd Party content as an update.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
This is brought up a lot, but I am honestly hoping for a few voice changes.

:4fox:: I would like to see his Brawl voice return. His 64 voice seems very off-character for Fox.
I loved Fox, Falco and Wolf's voices in Brawl, I always like Falco since Melee, but his voice and lines in Brawl just made me use him even more. But then they just had to ruin it in Smash4 with completely lame voices lol.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
You know, I just realized

Is Cloud's Advent Children alt costume the only thing in Smash that originated in a non-Video Game?
Well aside from the Pokemon's(and Marth's) voices from the anime, Misty and Prof. Oak's trophy from Melee had them in their anime design.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know, I just realized

Is Cloud's Advent Children alt costume the only thing in Smash that originated in a non-Video Game?
Nah. The Pokémon all have their anime voices (including Lucario speaking), Misty's Melee trophy had her anime design, Ash is mentioned in Smash 4's Pokémon Trainer trophy, and you could make the argument that Donkey Kong's Giant Punch comes from the DKC cartoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom