• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If we need a plant based fighter in Smash. Uhhh...pick someone better than ''That one lady who was in one Mario game and all the sports spin-offs." Seriously out of all 4 of the main Mario ladies Daisy is just not important. She's just there.

Peach is the leading lady.

Rosalina is the breakout success and constantly used it's kind of shocking she wasn't in Odyssey in some way, but they probably didnt' want to overshadow Pauline's return.

Pauline is the first lady of Nintendo, with ties to two of it's key franchises.

Daisy is just the bridesmaid who is never gonna be a bride.

If you want flower based moved set? There are tons of flower Pokemon who do that better too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

^Information beyond that :p

And if your evidence for the conspiracy theory is that Sakurai didn't list off every single country in the world I don't know what to tell you.
:061:
Ah, forgot about that. No, I believe she is 1st worldwide and don't buy into conspiracy theories either.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Don't understimate the Boards/Reddit power in that ballot. Not because we're many, but because we're the most die-hard fans.
It's not impossible to K.Rool or Ridley to win over Bayo casual popularity.
People voted EVERYDAY and multiple times for this characters.
And people who voted in the Ballot are not the casual public.
But the way that was done... completely possible to be above Bayo. Let's remember K.Rool, a "dead" villain got a Mii costume.
There's a reason for that.
My thoughts exactly.

Also Geno a party member character from one game on the SNES got to be a costume.

Think about that. He's not in anything else if memory serves and is not associated with anything else.

Yet he's a costume.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
What does treating her like a first party have anything to do with her popularity among the hardcore Nintendo fanbase? Sonic and Megaman are mostly beloved among many hardcore fans because of their history with Nintendo. Pac Man too of course. Why is Bayonetta an exception to that rule?

She's not a first party, that much is obvious, no one is denying that. The people who got "Pissed" at Bayonetta's exclucivity were fans of OTHER platforms, not Nintendo fans. Yeah, sure, some Nintendo fans might have been upset about that too, but like you said, "Exception, not the rule".

In regards to Bayonetta's votes, I can at least SORT OF see where you're coming from in that regard. I was actually going to vote Bayo along with my other top vote, but like others, the idea of her making it into Smash was a pipe dream at the time. I can at least understand the logic of not generalizing the hardcore votes for Bayo when a lot of us thought we "knew better" before the likes of Cloud and Bayo.

I still don't see how Bayo wasn't who she is now back then. We were hot off the heels of Bayo 2 when the Ballot was relevant. It was loved by a ton of people, and again, sold well. If anything, she was peaking at the time.

But I'm not even arguing the ballot vote right now, my point is you CANNOT generalize an entire section of the fanbase when literally almost everyone against your point right now likely falls under a "hardcore" and there is much more sound evidence against that point than for it. I mean hell, we're on a forum about Super Smash Bros. I'm pretty sure most people here lean more towards hardcore fans than casual fans.
I thought that was the point you were establishing, that Nintendo faithful loved her, or whatever. In the context of today, I would argue that she is more or less Nintendo; however, at the time, nobody was calling her "practically Nintendo" despite Nintendo owning exclusivity rights to publish the game.

Pac-Man? Pretty sure that was because of Bandai Namco. Even Sakurai did not want it at first. Either way, key word there is history, sister.

Bayonetta fans from other platforms. Bayonetta fans that likely did not vote in Nintendo's ballot.

You would know the rules if you voted in the ballot, hypothetically. Casuals are not mentally impaired. Be real, at least some of the votes were from trolls, and not just a negligible percentage. I am not saying it was substantial, but it definitely contributed, fam.

Because the circumstances were different. As of right now, everyone believes she is the safest third-party character to return, even ahead of Sonic, whereas prior to that, she was not on the hardcore fans radar whatsoever. Pretty drastic discrepancy, if you ask me. I am sure that the series peaking helped immensely. That is, realistically, put her on the radar, but for the win? It would a stretch. Tell me the truth, if we did not YET have the ballot results. Regardless of the series peak, if we were discussing Bayo, would you believe she had the capacity to win worldwide?

What evidence? You keep alluding to something that does not exist, darling. Beyond that, almost everyone shut up once they realized they were incorrect. You are and Zeb are seemingly the only ones who are unable to comprehend why she could not have been the definitive winner.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I really hope we get cool stages.

I'm serious when I say I don't want more DK jungles, lava/acid Metroid stages and Super Star stages.
It's not funny at this point.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
If we need a plant based fighter in Smash. Uhhh...pick someone better than ''That one lady who was in one Mario game and all the sports spin-offs." Seriously out of all 4 of the main Mario ladies Daisy is just not important. She's just there.

Peach is the leading lady.

Rosalina is the breakout success and constantly used it's kind of shocking she wasn't in Odyssey in some way, but they probably didnt' want to overshadow Pauline's return.

Pauline is the first lady of Nintendo, with ties to two of it's key franchises.

Daisy is just the bridesmaid who is never gonna be a bride.

If you want flower based moved set? There are tons of flower Pokemon who do that better too.
What is exactly wrong with being in over 50 of these “sports spinoffs”? Not even all of them are sports games anyways, and recently Daisy’s appearances have been diversifying and she is getting more recognition by Nintendo, especially after Smash 4’s roster was planned.

And technically, you can just replace half of the roster’s characters with Pokemon, but that is not what Smash is about. It is about beating other characters with your favourite character, and it is a real shame Daisy fans cannot do that yet.

I don’t really think you like Daisy at all with the way you badmouth her like that :happysheep:

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Also, what’s wrong with a woman expressing her sexuality? If she wants to do a dance that doesn’t show any sort of part of her body, who cares? Does that suddenly mean 6 year olds are going to be freaked out by sexuality?

That’s incredibly silly.
But there is a time and a place for things. If a person in a tight leather outfit walks into the McDonald's playplace and starts gyrating, people are going to take issue with that. Smash has always shot for a more all-ages approach, so, yes, I do think it's out of place.

And I also don't think six-year olds should be playing games that are hyper-sexualized, but critiquing parenting is really the last discussion Smashboards needs :p

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
My thoughts exactly.

Also Geno a party member character from one game on the SNES got to be a costume.

Think about that. He's not in anything else if memory serves and is not associated with anything else.
Well he cameo'd in Mario & Luigi SS.

Sakurai did also say he was a serious consideration in both Brawl and 4.

...Don't mind me, I'm just trying too hard to rationalize my number 1 most wanted Smash character. :V

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You do have a good point about Waluigi being very long and lanky. I can see him working with wacky moves. But something within me feels that gender may play a part. You see, among the four most requested Mario characters, Daisy is the only one that is a female character. In terms of diversity the female cast in Smash 4 made fantastic strides in diversity among fighters. The ballot also made a distinction between male and female voters. I hear that Daisy is more popular among the female Nintendo fanbase than the male Nintendo fanbase.

Also, people bring up us not having all the Mario brothers in a way, but we are currently at 2 out of 3 Mario Princesses. There is an oppoturnity to make them all represent different parts of the Mario franchise.
Rosalina isn't even a princess though.

Morbi

Scavenger
I stopped arguing with you over half an hour ago. I know you wont budge and really dont care with dealing with conspiracy theorists. I deal with that enough in other places/topics.

:061:
Because you cannot argue against facts, is more like it. Pretend it is not me. Just address the point and only the point. What is Sakurai's definition of "realizable" characters? Go on... And keep in mind that Ridley is one of those unrealizable characters, I would hate for you to forget that it applies to first-party characters and not just Corey in the House.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
My thoughts exactly.

Yet he's a costume.
Geno was confirmed by Sakurai to be a popular request among the silent majority of the fanbase.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
She is. Sakurai even said it in his original document, Rosalina wears a crown, the three are paired together in merchandise and art a lot of the time (especially after 2012) etc.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Most characters that were transformed into a costume into Smash4 probably was doing well in the Ballot.
If I remember it correctly: Isaac (Golden Sun), K.Rool. Inkling, Lloyd, Takamaru, Ashley, two costumes of Monster Hunter, Geno, Toad.
(Not saying that everyone that received a costume is a shoo-in or anything like that)

Because you cannot argue against facts, is more like it. Pretend it is not me. Just address the point and only the point. What is Sakurai's definition of "realizable" characters? Go on... And keep in mind that Ridley is one of those unrealizable characters, I would hate for you to forget that it applies to first-party characters and not just Corey in the House.
"i dont want to talk to you anymore"

"Lol you cant argue with FACTS"

Take a hint please.
:061"

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh get over yourself. We aren't choosing to continue this argument because you won't budge. I can very easily keep going but you insist on clinging to your own horridly flawed facts.

You haven't 'won' anything but a war of attrition. Congratulations.
It's funny how easily people forget that. Never has she been stated to be a princess, or even Royalty. It's a side effect of her character design and competition more than anything.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What is exactly wrong with being in over 50 of these “sports spinoffs”? Not even all of them are sports games anyways, and recently Daisy’s appearances have been diversifying and she is getting more recognition by Nintendo, especially after Smash 4’s roster was planned.

And technically, you can just replace half of the roster’s characters with Pokemon, but that is not what Smash is about. It is about beating other characters with your favourite character, and it is a real shame Daisy fans cannot do that yet.

I don’t really think you like Daisy at all with the way you badmouth her like that :happysheep:
Because literally anything she can do can be done better by other characters. Flower moveset? Pokemon. Spinoff focused Mario character? Waluigi. Female representation? Chun Li would be the best choice to add. Peach clone? Baby Peach. Annoy the ever living **** out of me? Pyra

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

I'm not badmouthing her by saying she's irrelevant. She is. She's a neat spin-off character and that's about it. And everything she does in them outside the flowers thing is done by someone else with more character. She's a re-skinned Peach in her current state who has a slightly more tomboy personality and she has flower abilities.

But her flower abilities are not enough to get her in Smash when literally other Nintendo franchises have people with flower abilities that do it better.

And please enlighten me on how Daisy is getting better in appearances because she's really not. Waluigi is the breakout sports spin-off star and Nintendo consistently acknowledges that.

And Toadette who was created for spin-offs even got to star in Treasure Tracker, Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, Mario Run, and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.

If any sports spin-offs stars are doing better than Daisy? It's Waluigi. But ESPECIALLY Toadette. She's the one who is getting the ''You know what? You're actually pretty neat" from Nintendo right now.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
"i dont want to talk to you anymore"

"Lol you cant argue with FACTS"

Take a hint please.
:061"
Answer the question without responding to me. I do not care, address the point. I highly doubt you can, do you know why? Nobody can. I rest my case, you do not need to even bother, anybody can see you have no idea what you are talking about just by reading this petty nonsense.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I'm not badmouthing her by saying she's irrelevant. She is. She's a neat spin-off character and that's about it. And everything she does in them outside the flowers thing is done by someone else with more character. She's a re-skinned Peach in her current state who has a slightly more tomboy personality and she has flower abilities.

But her flower abilities are not enough to get her in Smash when literally other Nintendo franchises have people with flower abilities that do it better.

And please enlighten me on how Daisy is getting better in appearances because she's really not. Waluigi is the breakout sports spin-off star and Nintendo consistently acknowledges that.

And Toadette who was created for spin-offs even got to star in Treasure Tracker, Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, Mario Run, and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.

If any sports spin-offs stars are doing better than Daisy? It's Waluigi. But ESPECIALLY Toadette. She's the one who is getting the ''You know what? You're actually pretty neat" from Nintendo right now.
Speaking of Mario Run, did you know Daisy is an unlockabke character in that game? And if my memory serves correctly, Daisy got the amiibo and Toadette did not.

You know what, you sound like one of these anti-Daisy trolls that I see pop up so often during Smash speculation. No wonder why I see people go crazy after arguing for so long. Literally nothing reasonable will get past your thick skulls. Goodnight and I hope Daisy gets into Smash with a unique moveset so I can ser the flabbergasted looks in your faces when I saw her coming from a long mile.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
She is. Sakurai even said it in his original document, Rosalina wears a crown, the three are paired together in merchandise and art a lot of the time (especially after 2012) etc.
Pairing them together doesn't make Rosalina a Princess any more than it makes Wario a plumber.

And I wouldn't take the document as gospel. Sakurai has gotten things wrong in the past, and for all we know it was a translation issue. Sakurai isn't a first party source when it comes to Rosalina.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Alright so that reinforces the point that seemingly niche characters have a lot of fans that make an impact on major decisions
Pretty much. And Geno's only appearance was in a 1996 game, making it even clear that younger players do not constitute the grand majority of the fan base if a character like Geno could be popular enough to have his support aknowledged.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I played Mario RPG and I didn't see nothing incredible about Geno haha.

I don't understand why people want him in, but eh, I would not complain if he is in.

Geno is a character that makes me think Ridley is very possible for Smash 4.
Even with like 0 relevance and just moveset potential and insane popularity, he was a character Sakurai wanted to put in the game. He didn't probably because Geno is third party or something... but yeah, looks like popularity is a very strong factor.

D

Deleted member

Oh, hello everyone.

People are still complaining about the ballot?

Bayonetta won worldwide, which means she won overall.

I am fine with Bayonetta in Smash Bros.

Can we change the subject please?

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh get over yourself. We aren't choosing to continue this argument because you won't budge. I can very easily keep going but you insist on clinging to your own horridly flawed facts.

You haven't 'won' anything but a war of attrition. Congratulations.

It's funny how easily people forget that. Never has she been stated to be a princess, or even Royalty. It's a side effect of her character design and competition more than anything.
Okay, I will raise the stakes. Do not even continue arguing with anything about Bayonetta, this has nothing to do with her. Answer this ONE question and I promise to delete my account if you can prove me wrong. Did the ballot specify that the winner would be chosen out of realizable characters, and was it clearly defined?

Ha ha ha... So horribly flawed and yet, I have a feeling my account is safe.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Pairing them together doesn't make Rosalina a Princess any more than it makes Wario a plumber.

And I wouldn't take the document as gospel. Sakurai has gotten things wrong in the past, and for all we know it was a translation issue. Sakurai isn't a first party source when it comes to Rosalina.
They considered making Pauline a princess of New Donk City at one point. With Rosalina’s design, I would not be surprised if the designers intended her to be a princess.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Speaking of Mario Run, did you know Daisy is an unlockabke character in that game? And if my memory serves correctly, Daisy got the amiibo and Toadette did not.
Yes, but lol. It's one game. ONE.

And amiibo does not equate to success. Oh wow. She got a plastic statue. Look I like Daisy, I actually have that amiibo, but that plastic statue means NOTHING compared to the fact that Toadette is doing work and putting in constant main stream game appearances. They may not be playable, but she's at least getting consistently acknowledged by Nintendo like you claim Daisy to be.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh, hello everyone.

People are still complaining about the ballot?

Bayonetta won worldwide, which means she won overall.

I am fine with Bayonetta in Smash Bros.

Can we change the subject please?
Actually, the topic has clearly shifted toward Daisy (and Rosalina, I guess) and the two people I have asked to answer a simple question are dodging it, so we are done here. Daisy is a viable Mario character and my most wanted among them, but I would accept Waluigi as well, how about you?

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
In regards to the Snake discussion, keep in mind the roster for Smash 4 was finalised in 2012.

You're refuting an argument that no- one here made when discussing iconic video game characters. I mean, Tracer is infinitively newer than Bayonetta, but nobody here is going to argue she isn't iconic, so your argument doesn't work.
Blizzard is the exception not the rule. Tracer has been in cgi trailers seen by millions. Blizzard is a marketing genius.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Yes, but lol. It's one game. ONE.

And amiibo does not equate to success. Oh wow. She got a plastic statue. Look I like Daisy, but that plastic statue means NOTHING compared to the fact that Toadette is doing work and putting in constant main stream game appearances. They may not be playable, but she's at least getting consistently acknowledged by Nintendo like you claim Daisy to be.
A high quality plastic statue that takes 10 months to a year from planning to production is not a small thing at all. In fact, they even mentioned Daisy’s popularity as the reason why the amiibo went ahead and was stocked so well. As for Toadette, in the appearances she had she was just an archivist or a person who would stand there and talk for a bit. She is also easy to add because the base Toad model is there. She is also the only character to not have a passive ability in Mario Run, which says a lot.

In fact they way you mention...”look I like Daisy” in these arguments is not convincing me at all. The way you type makes me feel that you hate her a lot.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Okay, I will raise the stakes. Do not even continue arguing with anything about Bayonetta, this has nothing to do with her. Answer this ONE question and I promise to delete my account if you can prove me wrong. Did the ballot specify that the winner would be chosen out of realizable characters, and was it clearly defined?

I dunno, did the ballot specifically state that that wasn't the case?

Did it ever state that it wouldn't be a factor? Did it ever say "most popular vote overall wins"? Did it ever say anything other than "Vote for a character you'd like to see in Smash"? There were never any rules. It was just "vote for who you want and we'll consider it.'

To answer your question, no, the ballot never said that. You're correct. It also never said anything for the logic you're trying to have. But if you're content just laughing to yourself in text like a Saturday morning cartoon villan then cool man.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Thinking out loud about Dasiy and Waluigi

I hope they get into Wario Land.

I mean it'd be nice to have a 2D platformer with multiple characters after looking at Shantae and Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Blizzard is the exception not the rule. Tracer has been in cgi trailers seen by millions. Blizzard is a marketing genius.
That's my point. Because how broad the appeal Overwatch has and how much Tracer is the face of it, she's had a big enough impact that no-one would deny she's iconic.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

By definition, they can't include unrealizable characters, because "unrealizable" means "impossible to achieve". Whether it's due to technical limitations (Ice Climbers), third party companies not cooperating (Konami), or characters not being video game characters, there are reasons why certain characters can't be included, regardless of how popular they prove to be in the Smash Ballot.

It really shouldn't be something that needs to be explicitly stated.

Morbi

Scavenger
I dunno, did the ballot specifically state that that wasn't the case?

Did it ever state that it wouldn't be a factor? Did it ever say "most popular vote overall wins"? Did it ever say anything other than "Vote for a character you'd like to see in Smash"? There were never any rules. It was just "vote for who you want".

To answer your question, no, the ballot never said that. It also never said anything for the logic you're trying to have. But if you're content just laughing to yourself in text like a Saturday morning cartoon villan then cool man.
???

Google harder. It was definitely among the most realizable characters. They literally had to add that qualifier in for a reason. Wonder what that reason could have been? I can answer that for you. But you are not going to like the answer. It was... Because... The Ballot was rigged, at least partially.

By definition, they can't include unrealizable characters, because "unrealizable" means "impossible to achieve". Whether it's due to technical limitations (Ice Climbers), third party companies not cooperating (Konami), or characters not being video game characters, there are reasons why certain characters can't be included, regardless of how popular they prove to be in the Smash Ballot.

It really shouldn't be something that needs to be explicitly stated.
Yes, but Ridley would not be impossible. There are mods that disprove that. Even Ice Climbers are possible. He had them running on Smash for Wii U. Nothing impossible about that.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I really hope we get cool stages.

I'm serious when I say I don't want more DK jungles, lava/acid Metroid stages and Super Star stages.
It's not funny at this point.
We usually get returning stages for DK/Metroid, so the jungle/lava angles will be covered already.

Both could provide some cool ice-themed stages I've always thought :)
If it wasn't so old I'd think something on Dark Aether from Prime 2 could be a cool setting.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
A high quality plastic statue that takes 10 months to a year from planning to production is not a small thing at all. In fact, they even mentioned Daisy’s popularity as the reason why the amiibo went ahead and was stocked so well. As for Toadette, in the appearances she had she was just an archivist or a person who would stand there and talk for a bit. She is also easy to add because the base Toad model is there. She is also the only character to not have a passive ability in Mario Run, which says a lot.

In fact they way you mention...”look I like Daisy” in these arguments is not convincing me at all. The way you type makes me feel that you hate her a lot.
Look I do like Daisy. I'm not gonna spend 12 dollars on someone I hate. But I simply can not in all good conscience even as a Mario fan support her when there are a bunch of Mario characters who deserve it more than her and if comes down to flowers?

Pokemon. Or **** even Lip from Panel De Pon who would be a neat retro rep and has already been acknowledge multiple times by Sakurai would do better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
Look I do like Daisy. I'm not gonna spend 12 dollars on someone I hate. But I simply can not in all good conscience even as a Mario fan support her when there are a bunch of Mario characters who deserve it more than her and if comes down to flowers?

Pokemon. Or **** even Lip from Panel De Pon who would be a neat retro rep and has already been acknowledge multiple times by Sakurai would do better.
Honestly, you are over-exaggerating a "bunch." She is realistically, next in line after Toad (Captain) and Waluigi. Maybe you could throw Paper Mario in there. But regardless, she is a top five pick from the franchise. That is nigh undeniable. Nintendo treats her quite well and that, at the end of the day, is what contributes to whether or not a character is deserving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom