• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So, general ideas on what Nintendo could announce at the Game Awards, if that rumor turns out to be true?

Keep in mind that it takes place at night on Dec. 6th in the US. It'll be late morning Dec. 7th in Japan by that time. So assuming that Nintendo is announcing something there-- there's precedent with them announcing The CHampion's Ballad and Cranky Kong at previous Game Awards shows-- what could it possibly be? Smash DLC? Metroid 4 trailer? New Super Luigi Bros. 3D World Switch & Knuckles?
Smash DLC's the only option there if it's Smash related obviously. No question.

Anything else I've got no idea.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I dunno, at first I didn't believe it because of leakypandy, but Spawn Wave's a bit more credible, from what I hear. It can't be a base game character, because that would be leaked beforehand. But I also can't see them announcing DLC, as it would come off as "You know that game you're playing tomorrow? Here's a character you can't play then!" Day 1 DLC is bad for many reasons, some of which I think Sakurai has mentioned not liking, but even then it would suffer the same possibilities of being leaked, less so given it's digital and not mass produced.

So... I have no clue.
Best case idea I can think of is a trailer that drops hints at MULTIPLE characters to sell a season pass with an Echo as day 1 DLC for those who buy in.

Octoling? Hilda? (may be why Zelda has no Hilda alt) Dry Bowser? Big Boss?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Believe me. We are very fortunate this go around.

Smash 4 got announced before it was even in development. We had to wait over a year and a half before we actually heard anything about it. Now THAT was drought pain...
Believe me too. I was there watching E3 on my Wii U the morning 4 was announced. And I was there years before when that marker drawing got posted.

Believe me, I know. It sucked. Big time.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I dunno, at first I didn't believe it because of leakypandy, but Spawn Wave's a bit more credible, from what I hear. It can't be a base game character, because that would be leaked beforehand. But I also can't see them announcing DLC, as it would come off as "You know that game you're playing tomorrow? Here's a character you can't play then!" Day 1 DLC is bad for many reasons, some of which I think Sakurai has mentioned not liking, but even then it would suffer the same possibilities of being leaked, less so given it's digital and not mass produced.

So... I have no clue.
People often forget that Mewtwo was announced to be DLC a month and a half before Smash for Wii U was released. The game hadn't even gone gold yet.

"Day 1 DLC" isn't the same as working on DLC before the game ships. When a game enters the home stretch, there are multiple workers without a job left to do because their work is finished. You either lay off those employees, move them to another studio, or have them work on DLC. It's quite common for developers to go the DLC route these days; it's not always for money-grubbing purposes. Just an appropriate use of resources.

That said, from a marketing standpoint, announcing new DLC on the day of release in Japan isn't a good move. I don't think the announcement will be Smash related, personally.

shaggypatriot12

Smash Cadet
Remove: Dark Pit

Add:.....
Dark Pit because the roster is amazing and so is Sakurai. Plus I never thought I would get my boy Snake back and I did, so Id hate to take Dark Pit away from people who like him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Nintendo's running low on "additional content" for Odyssey so DLC for that could be announced...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Smash Game: Remove one, add another.

I'll start.

Remove: :ultdarkpit:

Add: Dillon

Extra points for controversial.
Controversial, eh?

Remove: :ultgreninja:

Add: Zoroark

Giving Gen V the short end of the stick has become an unfunny recurring theme. It deserves better. Plus, Zoroark is just awesome to begin with.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Best case idea I can think of is a trailer that drops hints at MULTIPLE characters to sell a season pass with an Echo as day 1 DLC for those who buy in.

Octoling? Hilda? (may be why Zelda has no Hilda alt) Dry Bowser? Big Boss?
I would absolutely buy it but also hope Sakurai wouldn't ever dive to that.

D

Deleted member

Believe me too. I was there watching E3 on my Wii U the morning 4 was announced. And I was there years before when that marker drawing got posted.

Believe me, I know. It sucked. Big time.
Words cannot describe how happy I am this game wasn't announced until as late in development as it was. While some people hate it, I absolutely love how Nintendo's been announcing games lately. For me personally, if I can't play it within 12-16 months, I'd rather not know it exists.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So, general ideas on what Nintendo could announce at the Game Awards, if that rumor turns out to be true?

Keep in mind that it takes place at night on Dec. 6th in the US. It'll be late morning Dec. 7th in Japan by that time. So assuming that Nintendo is announcing something there-- there's precedent with them announcing The CHampion's Ballad and Cranky Kong at previous Game Awards shows-- what could it possibly be? Smash DLC? Metroid 4 trailer? New Super Luigi Bros. 3D World Switch & Knuckles?
Metroid Prime 4 seems like the kind of game that fits the most with the general audience of The Game Awards. So a gameplay reveal there would be perfect.

Could also see another Bayonetta 3 teaser (or perhaps the first footage of gameplay) since it was revealed at The Game Awards last year.

Smash comes out the day before The Game Awards, but I can see a DLC announcement there.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
People often forget that Mewtwo was announced to be DLC a month and a half before Smash for Wii U was released. The game hadn't even gone gold yet.

"Day 1 DLC" isn't the same as working on DLC before the game ships. When a game enters the home stretch, there are multiple workers without a job left to do because their work is finished. You either lay off those employees, move them to another studio, or have them work on DLC. It's quite common for developers to go the DLC route these days; it's not always for money-grubbing purposes. Just an appropriate use of resources.

That said, from a marketing standpoint, announcing new DLC on the day of release in Japan isn't a good move. I don't think the announcement will be Smash related, personally.
I see people bring this point up who just neglect to mention that Smash 4 came out a month before Mewtwo's announcement.

Smash 4 3DS existed people.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Remove: Pikachu

Add: Shuckle

Okay but seriously though, I hate these "who would you remove" games because they remind me of how salty people can be at times. Arguments about the game's roster and who "deserves" to be in are my least favorite part of being in this fanbase.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I'll start.

I don't really like to play remove a character games, "everyone is here" and all, but if I had to choose...

Remove::ultrichter:.

Add: Ashley. She was denied a place on the roster and she should have been here with everyone else!

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Words cannot describe how happy I am this game wasn't announced until as late in development as it was. While some people hate it, I absolutely love how Nintendo's been announcing games lately. For me personally, if I can't play it within 12-16 months, I'd rather not know it exists.
God, I remember waiting for information on Twilight Princess. It was unbearable.

I much prefer when games are announced within a year of release. A general "yeah we're making it" is fine-- like Metroid Prime 4, or Resident Evil 2 Remake when they first announced that-- but don't give me a trailer to make it look close to done then wait three years.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Wait people hate that move?
If Ultimate got announced 12-16 months beforehand there is a good chance I'd go insane lmao.
I love this series too much to go through what I did with 4 again. Announcing Ultimate 6 months before release was so smart.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Me with Cyberpunk 2077...

It’s beautiful, especially with the gameplay they’ve show, but the lack of release date annoys me slightly.

Shroob

Sup?
......Jesus christ the game comes out in 50 days.

5 more days and it'll be down to a month and a half until launch.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm actually hoping the VGA's aren't Smash-related; well, unless it invalidates what LeakyPandy said anyway, in which case I'm fine with it :4pacman:

but it better not disconfirm Geno.

D

Deleted member

I'll start.

Hoo boy. Well...you said you wanted controversial, so here ya go:

Remove: :ultbayonetta:

Add: Banjo & Kazooie

Reason: A better 3rd party rep for Nintendo in every possible way and gets rid of (IMO) the worst character in Smash right now.

Please don't kill me.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay, this will be fun.

Remove: :ultpokemontrainer:

Add: Team Chaotix as a switch between three type fighter with Charmy, Vector, and Espio.
I..................
...................actually kind of like that idea.

NineS

Smash Lord
......Jesus christ the game comes out in 50 days.

5 more days and it'll be down to a month and a half until launch.
I'm so happy we're so close to release.
It's why I get out of bed in the mornings.

But on the pessimistic side of things...

Everyone, let's face it. We're not getting a direct with all the info until Dec. 8th, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom