• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Or his coconut gun that shoots in spurts.
"They're finally here,
performing for you!
If you know the spurts,
you can join in too!
Put your hands together,
if you wanna clap!
As we take you through,
this Coconut Rap!

Huh!

C-G!

Coconut Gun!

C-G!

Coconut Gun's here!"

dunno if y'all will know where this is from or not.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Where'd all the Halo talk come from? New leak? (Bungie era) Halo is my favourite game series, so I'm intrigued...
No leak. Just one guy saying, "I want Chief," and another guy saying, "No, DOOM Guy." And it just carried on from there.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Doom Slayer's character is brutality and violence. You can't just take that away. I'm not having this conversation again.
Have you played Bayonetta? Not only is it super violent, her content is hyper-sexual in nature and involves her getting naked to summon hair monsters that eat demons. Not to mention all of the messed up religious references it has. Basically the one character I'm shocked Nintendo ever included, yet she's here. Doomslayer has nothing on her.

Where'd all the Halo talk come from? New leak? (Bungie era) Halo is my favourite game series, so I'm intrigued...
Nah, but the idea that Smash should start including more WW famous characters and titles (Kratos, Master Chief, Doomslayer, Vault boy..., Rayman, Banjo, Crash, Spyro, you name it) makes things pretty exciting I guess.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm curious, Has the Master of the Chiefs had any cameos or appearances on any Nintendo Games or Systems? I know Cloud had Chain of Memories on the GBA and the Theatrhythym Final fantasy series. ...
He and some other Xbox characters are available as skins in Minecraft Switch.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
POSSIBLE DECONFIRMATION OF BLACK KNIGHT:
I have noticed that some characters that had alts of others fighters in the past no longer have those colors

Example: Mario no longer has his Wario alt

Another interesting point is that in Smash 4, Fox had an alt based of Wolf

Now in Ultimate, Fox still has a purplish color like in Smash 4, however, his fur is now also purple, not grey. He also has more blackish sleeves instead of the light purple. Not to mention his pants are now a dark purple instead of black.

Now lets look at Ike's alt that is based on Black Knight from Smash 4

Now look at his alts from Smash Ultimate

As you could see, Black Knight is now mostly likely not playable. Apologies to all you Black Knight supporters out there.
You really overestimate how similar that Ike appears to Black Knight.
There's a big difference between that and the removed costumes so far.

In a quick 8 person battle it'd be very easy to mix up a Samus using a DS alt, a Fox using a Wolf alt, and Peach using a Daisy alt.

See, Black Knight, you know, is a knight, and wears a BIG ASS SUIT OF ARMOR making him very easy to set apart

Doesn't really deconfirm a thing in my mind. I doubt he'll be in but this doesn't mean much for his case.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm curious, Has the Master of the Chiefs had any cameos or appearances on any Nintendo Games or Systems? I know Cloud had Chain of Memories on the GBA and the Theatrhythym Final fantasy series. ...
There was a cancelled DS game iirc

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
As far as Doomguy goes, the hyperviolence is super easy to minimize while staying faithful to the character. You don't need giblets to convey brutality.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Not counting Minecraft skins, the closest we got was a cancelled Halo DS, at least as far as things sanctioned by Microsoft go. I'm sure some indie game or another has made visual references like how Duke Nukem Forever did.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Minecraft costume.

...Not that that would matter since he's a huge gaming icon. Which is actually something Sakurai has as a requirement for 3rd parties(which obviously if he makes exceptions, it's for characters who have huge ties to Nintendo, like Bayonetta and probably Geno). Cloud really doesn't mean much anyway. Sakurai chose him knowing he had no real ties to Nintendo and that was even with Square-Enix suggesting Nintendo-relevant characters. What mattered was him being the big RPG protagonist and what series he's from(a mega franchise with huge gaming history). People way overstate the whole ties to Nintendo crap relating to Cloud. No, they weren't relevant. He wasn't even sure what would've happened if Cloud had no Nintendo cameos. It never came up as a situation, showing how it wasn't relevant either to him being chosen. Unless SE or Nintendo wouldn't have agreed, he would've most likely put him in Smash anyway because of who he was. He sure as hell wasn't looking for some Nintendo-relevant FF character. He literally dismissed anything that wasn't the main guy of the series. What he had ties to wasn't clearly of relevance.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well if we're talking about returning characters, I'm looking forward to what Mega Man has this time around. Seems like Flame Sword and Leaf Shield are both stronger than last time, and most of his good moves are still pretty good. Footstool shenanigans are gonna be harder to pull off, since they can be dealt with better now. But it isn't impossible either.

NineS

Smash Lord
ridley ****in impales people. get this "too brutal for smash" bs out of my face.
You forgot the bit where he eats people, and then taunts about it to whoever he ate happened to be related to and living.

and he'd try to kill and eat a little girl if he had the chance. he'd definitely make sure to finish the job this time after what happened with samus

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I don’t understand why some people prefer one gender of :ultrobinand:ultcorrin:like the two genders of the same characters are different characters somehow. Makes no sense to me.
I prefer female Corrin because I like her voice and I hate male Corrin's default hair and voice. Cam Clarke sounds like he's straining to pitch his voice higher and it makes me cringe. And the hair is just awful...

I prefer male Robin 'cause he's sexy and cool. I don't think the look works as well for female Robin and the pigtails look kind of stupid.

NineS

Smash Lord
I mean if we're talking about characters who never appeared on a Nintendo console to be in Smash...

See, plenty of moveset potential! :p
They're good, but he'll have a tough time really getting any damage in compared to someone like Snake without weapons or gear. Besides super realistic guns. Because those are surprisingly not allowed in Smash.

Either way, at this point, moveset potential couldn't matter any less. All it does is make it easier on Sakurai when it comes to making the character.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Even if Sakurai likes the idea, I can't see Nintendo agreeing to put in a character who represents a rival console. Nintendo and Microsoft may be on good terms but they're still business rivals in the console market and that's not changing anytime soon.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I don’t understand why some people prefer one gender of :ultrobinand:ultcorrin:like the two genders of the same characters are different characters somehow. Makes no sense to me.
For me, I choose Female Robin and Corrin because they have better lines.

If they change Male Robin's up taunt to "Time to tip the scales." in Ultimate, I'll play him instead. I mean, they did get David Vincent back for Richter, so it's entirely possible that Male Robin has new lines.

The Corrins seem to have the same lines as in Smash 4 though, so I'll be sticking with Female Corrin for now.
"They're finally here,
performing for you!
If you know the spurts,
you can join in too!
Put your hands together,
if you wanna clap!
As we take you through,
this Coconut Rap!

Huh!

C-G!

Coconut Gun!

C-G!

Coconut Gun's here!"

dunno if y'all will know where this is from or not.
I've always preferred the JP version.

Thankfully I don't know the words.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even if Sakurai likes the idea, I can't see Nintendo agreeing to put in a character who represents a rival console. Nintendo and Microsoft may be on good terms but they're still business rivals in the console market and that's not changing anytime soon.
That and no console exclusive mascots had never been on a rival console so...

Have we ever seen Master Chief on a Sony or Nintendo console?
Have we ever seen Mario on a Sony or Microsoft console?
Have we ever seen Kratos on a Nintendo or Microsoft console?

Yeah...

All the third parties that has been on Smash aren't console exclusive like Master Chief is having appearing on all.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Cloud's one of those characters that I never thought would make it in, despite his few Nintendo appearances, since FF7, and by extension Cloud himself are so tied to the Playstation 1. So I take it as third parties should be iconic, though having close ties to Nintendo, or at least decent ties would be preferable. That said, I'd be pretty happy if either Jin or Heihachi were chosen, despite Tekken being more known for its Playstation outings, the two have had quite a few of appearances on Nintendo systems.

Not that Doom Slayer's my choice for third parties or anything, but most of his weapons are at least energy based, so he'd require less censoring than other gun toting badasses.

For more "Nintendo-y" ones, Mega Man X and Ryu Hayabusa are my choices. Neither of which would have to deal with censorship in any meaningful way.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Slow day, huh?
More like slow month. :4pacman:

I think having "you guys have characters that showed up on Nintendo consoles" as a loophole can work. Cases like Nathan Drake don't even have that, seeing as Naughty Dog stayed loyal to Sony from the start.

Besides, Sakurai wants EXPRESSIVE characters these days, and Chief is never seen taking that helmet off.

Last edited:

Electrick_EEL

Smash Cadet
You really overestimate how similar that Ike appears to Black Knight.
There's a big difference between that and the removed costumes so far.

In a quick 8 person battle it'd be very easy to mix up a Samus using a DS alt, a Fox using a Wolf alt, and Peach using a Daisy alt.

See, Black Knight, you know, is a knight, and wears a BIG *** SUIT OF ARMOR making him very easy to set apart

Doesn't really deconfirm a thing in my mind. I doubt he'll be in but this doesn't mean much for his case.
Oops, you're right. I didn't really thought about that point. I still believe he is either a boss or an AT, not playable.

NineS

Smash Lord
While you're all arguing about an extremely gorey guy with energy weapons getting in vs. a relatively normal ungorey guy with realistic weapons

I'm over here waiting for the real big announcements. Calling it now.

what could PAWssibly go wrong?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On top of that people are always saying "Master Chief is the father of FPS!!!!"

Oh really then explain these two that came before him?

Duke Nukem and Doomguy.

There's also Joanna Dark.

Just saying.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That and no console exclusive mascots had never been on a rival console so...

Have we ever seen Master Chief on a Sony or Nintendo console?
Have we ever seen Mario on a Sony or Microsoft console?
Have we ever seen Kratos on a Nintendo or Microsoft console?

Yeah...

All the third parties that has been on Smash aren't console exclusive like Master Chief is having appearing on all.
That much is true. Which is why I doubt any Microsoft character is being added. As cool as Fulgore would be, since he's another Nintendo-Era Rare character who's got a moveset that writes itself, being from a fighting game and all. But most root for Banjo instead, and while I wouldn't mind him, Fulgore's that boy.

That said, I didn't know about the cancelled Halo DS game some others have posted about. I'm about to look that up.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I think having "you guys have characters that showed up on Nintendo consoles" as a loophole can work. Cases like Nathan Drake don't even have that, seeing as Naughty Dog stayed loyal to Sony from the start.

Besides, Sakurai wants EXPRESSIVE characters these days, and Chief is never seen taking that helmet off.
Doomguy never takes off his helmet either but by God, can you feel that one man's intense rage and hatred for demons like no other.
crop.jpg

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I'd agree with that, though it seems like expressionless characters are all the rage in speculation these days. :chuckle:

Iridium

Smash Hero
While you're all arguing about an extremely gorey guy with energy weapons getting in vs. a relatively normal ungorey guy with realistic weapons

I'm over here waiting for the real big announcements. Calling it now.

what could PAWssibly go wrong?
So, why did they bring this series back recently? Anyway, if we get Bubsy, we better get a Bubsy 3D graphic option.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Duke Nukem and Doomguy.

Just saying.
You're fooling yourself if you don't believe Chief revolutionized the FPS genre and is responsible, perhaps not singlehandedly but responsible, for what it is today.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Speaking of that DS Halo game, seems like it was only an "unsolicited demo". But hey, you get to hear the MIDI version of the Halo main theme.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman

Duke Nukem and Doomguy.

Just saying.
Halo revolutionised the FPS genre in a way that really was never done again. Wolfenstein might be the first of the genre, but Halo made it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wolfenstein if anything should be considered the father of FPS and if anything I say he deserves the spot more then Chief which above I explained why he'll likely not be in.

All third parties in Smash aren't console exclusive whereas Chief is same with Mario and Kratos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom