• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Um... Wouldn't that be a bit overpowered?
If you directly translated every move from every game directly, everyone would be broken...
Obviously it'll be changed.

At the very least, Bayonetta can't use wickid weaves in the goddamn air.

Last edited:

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Every one of his specials and his FS feels like stuff other characters already does and don't stand out. This is a big difference from "potentially the most unique fighter" his fans used to say during DLC period. But I'm still waiting for his full moveset.
Characters should really not have gimmicky movesets for the sake of being unique. That's how you end up with Little Mac. And when it comes down to it, it's the character that gives the inclusion the most impact, not the moveset.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There is absolutely no way K rool's blunderbuss can't be canceled out of. If he automatically did the second two moves it would be by far the worst move in smash bros history. If his opponent rolled behind him they could do a fully charged smash by the time he was done. That would a completely absurd design choice. I literally cannot imagine Sakurai making something that bad. And for no reason too.

Untouch

Smash Master
Miis were never BANNED per say, just no TO wanted to deal with making all the movesets for them.
Oh, and Brawler was... broken.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What does said app even do anyway?
It basically allows for voice chat, so you'd need to use your phone for first party games. Fortnite has shown it's possible through the Switch so long as you have the infrastructure built--but Nintendo didn't want to go to that effort, because people wouldn't like bulky headphones or some silly reason they said. It also has some other info displayed, but I dunno as I don't play Splatoon, which until the online service launched, was the only game that used it.

By these people's logic I guess Mario is lazy too since he has moves from the range of all of his games he was in.

Same with Link, Kirby, Pikachu and such. :rolleyes:

This drought really has resorted you all to this hasn't it? Bored out of your minds it seems at this point?
Bored out of my ****ing mind. But this conversation is out of my depths, so at least I can sit back and enjoy my popcorn.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Ah yes, we've finally hit the 'hostility' phase of craving a Direct.

K. Rool's counter is both fitting to his character in how he uses it, and unique in that he's the first superheavy with a counter. Counters as a move are fine, the characters who have them make sense. My only issue with Counter is that 6 out of 7 Fire Emblem characters have one, 5 use it identically, and 4 of them are Marth.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Btw, why competitive Smash can only ban low tier characters?
Competitive Smash organizers don't ban low tier characters.

People just don't use those characters because they're low tier.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yes, I was talking about Miis.
Miis were a pain in the ass to implement across every tourney in a universally agreeable way.

Also, you couldn't use them online, so practice with them was even harder.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
At the very least, Bayonetta can't use wickid weaves in the goddamn air.
Wait? She could do that in her original game?
Wow, and I thought Bayonetta was already broken enough
My issue with counters is that outside of Bayonetta which has a broken counter, they all do the same stuff at vary levels of quality..
Corrin's launches Vertically. That's pretty unique

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He's just mad Diddy lost the Hoo Hah
My favorite character lost his broken grab shenanigans. I'm going to complain about this other character who had broken grab shenanigans, no longer does, but has other non-broken character specific tech.

Seems normal for this community.

Yes, I was talking about Miis.
Miis aren't broken unless they're mini 1122 Brawler. That **** is stupid. I disagree with the Mii ban, but I get the rationale behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Um... Wouldn't that be a bit overpowered?
It could be but with the right balancing maybe not. There's a plenty of moves that made it into Smash that I feel are OP. Corrin's counter, Bayonetta in general, Cloud's limit break, etc. I'm not even a competitive player so that **** doesn't effect me. You have the rambling mushroom item, you could apply those same effects to K.Rool's gas but limit it to like 5 seconds after they get hit. Honestly I'm not trying to change your opinion if you think K.Rool's moveset is generic that's fine and I'm honestly tired of arguing I've been doing this debate for 17 years honestly I'm sick of it at this point. Honestly I don't even feel the need to complain about one character's moveset anyway out of a pool of 70 characters. There's plenty more characters to choose from and if you don't like that K.Rool was added due to some personal vendetta that's fine I'm sure you have another character out of 70 to choose from so you can EASILY ignore K.Rool anyway.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Characters should really not have gimmicky movesets for the sake of being unique. That's how you end up with Little Mac. And when it comes down to it, it's the character that gives the inclusion the most impact, not the moveset.
Again, :ultfalcon:,:ultmarth:,:ultmetaknight: or :ultgreninja: didn't needed a "gimmick" to be unique.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

And you know, that's the sad thing. We have a LOT of characters this time around but odds are, depending on patches, only a few will actually be used in competitive battling.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Miis were never BANNED per say, just no TO wanted to deal with making all the movesets for them.
Oh, and Brawler was... broken.

The community definitely would have preferred this to Bayonetta anyway. I even saw Komo use Brawler a few weeks ago as well, same moveset.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It could be but with the right balancing maybe not. There's a plenty of moves that made it into Smash that I feel are OP. Corrin's counter, Bayonetta in general, Cloud's limit break, etc. I'm not even a competitive player so that **** doesn't effect me. You have the rambling mushroom item, you could apply those same effects to K.Rool's gas but limit it to like 5 seconds after they get hit. Honestly I'm not trying to change your opinion if you think K.Rool's moveset is generic that's fine and I'm honestly tired of arguing I've been doing this debate for 17 years honestly I'm sick of it at this point. Honestly I don't even feel the need to complain about one character's moveset anyway out of a pool of 70 characters. There's plenty more characters to choose from and if you don't like that K.Rool was added due to some personal vendetta that's fine I'm sure you have another character out of 70 to choose from so you can EASILY ignore K.Rool anyway.
I'm not complaining he's in...
I'm just complaining because someone who wanted him in, is still complaining.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, at the time, Marth's tipper was probably the most gimmicky thing in Melee. Either that or Pichu's masochism.
Nah, it was either :icsmelee: or :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:

She also activated witch time every time she did a regular dodge if you timed it right. Imagine that in smash.
Sounds perfectly fair and reasonable.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wait? She could do that in her original game?
Wow, and I thought Bayonetta was already broken enough

Corrin's launches Vertically. That's pretty unique
Would you believe that the version of Bayonetta in Smash is the ultra-nerfed most basic and simplified incarnation of her character possible?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nah fam Little Mac is fun to just charge in and go big brain Smash attacks on everything. I shouldn't feel "Huh well that happened" after a character trailer. Only other times were Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt and Roy, although the last one's a veteran so that shouldn't count and neither should Duck Hunt as we knew about him beforehand as the trailer was after the 3DS game released. Also K.Rool's counter to me, felt like it should have been him playing dead. Sure, he's the only character who can crawl after a knockdown it seems but ehhhhhh

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>I says that for me K.Rool kit look kinda bland and Meh.
>Swarm of people jumping from the wood defending their Characters integrity as if I insulted their family

Yo, quote me where I said K.Rool looks like **** badly represented or whatever?

I just said that after reading so much stuff about K.rool during the Ballot era, seeing that into action wasn't as mind blowing as I thought it was and in the end he looked like a simple Character.
I like gimmicky Characters in fighting games, Zeku in SFV/ Noctis in Tekken/ Cloud/Robin in Smash 4

As far as I know y'all getting pumped as if I said he wasn't worth being here. I just said he's a simple Character. Nothing bad about that.

Why swordsmen? Because Ridley's tail seems to be very disjointed and far longer than most swords in the game, and he also has a projectile which helps against many matchups. Combo-heavy characters WILL give him a problem though. Am pretty certain he'll lose out badly to
I passed 4 hours for 4days playing Smash Ultimate during Japan Expo in Paris. Ridley is fine, but most of his neutral moves comes a bit slower than the Swordsmans and Ryu is an absolute monster in Ultimate same for Marth, Ridley will have to time his hit well to do A lot of damage quick, he's strong, but reward patience.
The problem being that in a Ridley vs Marth match, you both will try to space your moves, and your disjoint sadly will just help Marth more than you touching him.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Every one of his specials and his FS feels like stuff other characters already does and don't stand out. This is a big difference from "potentially the most unique fighter" his fans used to say during DLC period. But I'm still waiting for his full moveset.
Nobody has a Neutral Special that works like K. Rool's.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I know that I feel bad when it happens, but I wouldn't mind if the roster leaked right now, just so all the pettiness between theories and fan wants and what not would just end already and everyone on all sides could just move on to the acceptance phase.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

At times it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. People are told they're bad, so they don't play them because they're "bad".

At the same time, as the meta develops, it becomes very clear by tourney results which characters are the best.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm not complaining he's in...
I'm just complaining because someone who wanted him is complaining.
Not complaining I love K.Rool in Smash his design which blends the Rare and Paon designs, his run animation, his moves, etc.. Saying he could've been a bit more unique is not complaining. Like I said I prefer the more standard movesets anyway. Just trying to shut down the people acting like K.Rool couldn't have been more unique so he shouldn't have been added. This is why I love/hate Smash speculation. Hate all the entitlement and I have NEVER been one to say a character shouldn't be added (unless it's someone like Goku) or a 3rd party character with little to no relation to Nintendo at all. I welcome ALL Nintendo characters and I don't care how they play for real. I just like seeing old and new Nintendo characters coming together to duke it out. I just wish people would be a bit more respectful. If you're character that you're rooting for makes it REGARDLESS of how they play, I will be happy for you trust me I will I will personally congratulate you. But I'm not gonna generalize your fanbase and spew lame nonsense.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As far as I'm concerned K.Rool is plenty unique. A super heavyweight with projectile tricks.
Yeah, he looks he'll play like nobody else, I just ranting because his fandom kinda overblown his moveset potential prior to his reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom