• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I'm reading, trust me. I just dont happen to think any of those statements make a character a main character.

Since, according to what you quoted from Rocket, we can google anything for an answer, here is the googled answer of what a main character is:
A protagonist (from Ancient Greek πρωταγωνιστής (protagonistes), meaning 'player of the first part, (chief actor)' is the main character in any story, such as a literary work or drama. ... In those forms the protagonist may simply be the leading actor, or the principal character in the story.

A game without a story of any degree has no main character.
And I do apologize for not starting with that as my explanation from the very beginning.
That's not what I'm using Google for. I'm not using Google for an answer. I'm using Google as evidence not making a new point entirely.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I unironically think that Goku will be a newcomer in Smash for Switch. After the sheer absurdity of Smash 4's roster, all bets are off and all of our "principles" for the roster we had thought are thrown out the window. And the ONLY character that can one up Cloud Strife as far as shock value (which is something they explicitly care about) is Goku.
No. All bets are not off.

How is getting a character from FINAL FANTASY equivalent to getting a character from a freaking manga?! How is getting a Final Fantasy character in any way ABSURD, just because his original game wasn't on a Nintendo console?

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
No. All bets are not off.

How is getting a character from FINAL FANTASY equivalent to getting a character from a freaking manga?! How is getting a Final Fantasy character in any way ABSURD, just because his original game wasn't on a Nintendo console.
I think you missed something.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's not what I'm using Google for. I'm not using Google for an answer. I'm using Google as evidence not making a new point entirely.
Okay, then please define "main character" on your terms, since using it synonymously with protagonist is not acceptable to you.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Everyone overlooking the top contenders for Smash being Steve and Goku because Minecraft and Xenoverse 2 are on switch.
I completely forgot about Minecraft
Honestly, if we're talking about popularity, it would be really difficult to outdo Minecraft. It's like what Yuri on Ice was to anime except it lasted years instead of weeks.
There's no denying that it would rake in sales from its demographic if Steve was playable.

I don't think it's happening, and I hope it doesn't, but the reasons for why it could are clearly there.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Since Melee we've had returning stages in Smash, what ones do you think could come back, or would like to have back? Personally, I would like to see Pokémon Stadium and Poké Floats from Melee return as well as Dream Land from N64.

?????????????

Smash Master
Since Melee we've had returning stages in Smash, what ones do you think could come back, or would like to have back? Personally, I would like to see Pokémon Stadium and Poké Floats from Melee return as well as Dream Land from N64.
I'd like Spear Pillar, Magicant, and Pac-Maze.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That will completely derail this thread. Look, point is is that Spring Man is the ARMS character, Pikachu is THE Pokemon, etc. Why do you think Twintelle/Min Min is the ARMS main character?
Pikachu being the main Pokemon character did not happen from the first game. It actually had nothing to do with the games, and started first with the Manga and then the anime.
This is exactly my point (albeit, clearly I was not communicating it very effectively)- there has been ONE game from ARMS. There has been no story and really no reason to consider one character above or more important than any other. If ARMS ends up with a Ryu or Pikachu equivalent, it will not be from the first 9 months of the game.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be daft or difficult in any way, and I will drop the conversation at this point becuase I'm not trying to upset anyone. I am trying to understand why others' view Spring Man as the clear frontrunner. No one else needs to agree with me that the evidence is pretty circumstantial, but I truly do wish I could understand why those details seem so important to others.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Fountain of Dreams really should be a thing again along with Dream Land. Actually the best track the series has produced.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Pikachu being the main Pokemon character did not happen from the first game. It actually had nothing to do with the games, and started first with the Manga and then the anime.
This is exactly my point (albeit, clearly I was not communicating it very effectively)- there has been ONE game from ARMS. There has been no story and really no reason to consider one character above or more important than any other. If ARMS end up with a Ryu or Pikachu equivalent, it will not be from the first 9 months of the game.
In terms of choosing someone for Smash, yes there is. There is someone in ARMS that is the equivalent of Ryu/Pikachu/Mario but not on the scale as they were.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
This is exactly my point (albeit, clearly I was not communicating it very effectively)- there has been ONE game from ARMS. There has been no story and really no reason to consider one character above or more important than any other. If ARMS ends up with a Ryu or Pikachu equivalent, it will not be from the first 9 months of the game.
Well, technically, there is an ARMS manga in Japan in their CoroCoro magazine. The main characters in that are Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Guys, I think we're going to get Chun Li instead Ryu

Street Fighter doesn't have a main character and Ryu is too boring

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
A few stages I want coming back are
  • Mushroom Kingdom 64
  • Mushroom Kingdom II
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Mario Circuit (Brawl)
  • Temple
  • Brinstar
  • Either Corneria, Venom, or Sector Z 64
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Poke Floats
  • Spear Pillar
  • Mario Bros.
  • Yoshi's Island (Melee)
  • Guar Plain
  • Boxing Ring
  • Wii Fit
  • Duck Hunt
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Kongo Jungle 64
  • Dream Land 64
  • Hyrule Castle 64
I highly doubt we're gonna get all of that, just listing some ones I would like to have back.

?????????????

Smash Master
There has been no story and really no reason to consider one character above or more important than any other. .
I do want to argue here that the story is the "tournament" the characters go through in single-player mode, and that I believe Spring Man has the most...uh..."drive" to contend in the tournament.

Like, the dialogue implies that he's been yearning for the champion belt his whole life and is really into the fighting, whereas most of the other characters are more into the fame or have other motivations.

The only other character that compares in this way is Max Brass. But again, just my interpretation.

Troykv

Smash Master
We talk about new potential "reps" for the next Smash... but

Did you have talked about potential Assist Trophy for the game? They don't have movesets, but they definitely have a time in the spotlight.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Well, technically, there is an ARMS manga in Japan in their CoroCoro magazine. The main characters in that are Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.
That's another good point, Dark Horse's ARMS graphic novel will have Spring man and Ribbon Girl as the two main characters.

So there - Spring Man IS one of the main characters, alongside Ribbon Girl, who is promoted nearly as heavily.

CONVERSATION OVER

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Goku will not happen.

Undertale character will not happen.

Spring Man is ARMS's main character.

Now stop.
I disagree with this post.

Do you have any idea how many people thought Cloud would be a possibility? Who would have possibly expected Solid Snake?

And as for ARMS...I was utterly convinced we'd get Chrom. How on Earth did we get both Robin and Lucina instead?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'll say this one more time as I just edited into the past post which may be missed by some:

Honestly, I'm not trying to be daft or difficult in any way, and I will drop the conversation at this point becuase I'm not trying to upset anyone. I am trying to understand why others' view Spring Man as the clear frontrunner. No one else needs to agree with me that the evidence is pretty circumstantial. I was trying to find common ground by identifying that there is no ARMS protagonist, but somehow what to me seems to be a fact is something others seem to disagree with... so maybe there is no common ground here.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

Did you have talked about potential Assist Trophy for the game? They don't have movesets, but they definitely have a time in the spotlight.
I could see the Champions from BotW appearing as an Assist Trophy, same with Jin or maybe Malos from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
I'll say this one more time as I just edited into the past post which may be missed by some:

Honestly, I'm not trying to be daft or difficult in any way, and I will drop the conversation at this point becuase I'm not trying to upset anyone. I am trying to understand why others' view Spring Man as the clear frontrunner. No one else needs to agree with me that the evidence is pretty circumstantial. I was trying to find common ground by identifying that there is no ARMS protagonist, but somehow what to me seems to be a fact is something others seem to disagree with... so maybe there is no common ground here.
We are not talking about in-game lore or even the game in general. We're saying if there is one person that would represent ARMS in Smash, it would be Spring Man.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

I'd like to see Poochy or Rambi as an Assist Trophy. About time Yoshi and Donkey Kong got some ATs.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I'd like to see Poochy or Rambi as an Assist Trophy. About time Yoshi and Donkey Kong got some ATs.
Then you're looking at whether you use Poochy from Odyssey or Yarn Poochy, both of whom would be awesome. The Yarn Poochy could do something with the Poochy-Pups and have them run around and nom people or something.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Then you're looking at whether you use Poochy from Odyssey or Yarn Poochy, both of whom would be awesome. The Yarn Poochy could do something with the Poochy-Pups and have them run around and nom people or something.
The "Poochy" that appeared in Super Mario Odyssey would be the most logical, as that's the design he's most known for (relatively speaking).

That said I like the idea with the Poochy-Pups, though I think a similar idea could be executed with another Yoshi AT. Namely
Huffin' Puffin

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Spring Man was also the character from ARMS chosen to be on the cover of Edge Magazine #306 if that means anything.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
The "Poochy" that appeared in Super Mario Odyssey would be the most logical, as that's the design he's most known for (relatively speaking).

That said I like the idea with the Poochy-Pups, though I think a similar idea could be executed with another Yoshi AT. Namely
Huffin' Puffin
I could totally see that working as well. Would be equally as effective and adorable.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Spring Man is 100% the poster character of ARMS, why the actual **** are we still having this conversation?
Becasue when it's on the Smashboards, it's full of ****ty arguments :troll:

From my view, here's what I'd like to see

- ALL characters from Wii U/3DS return
- Ice Climbers and Wolf return

New characters:

- Inklings (confirmed)
- Dixie Kong and/or King K Rool
- Crash Bandicoot
- Isaac
- Dark Samus/Sylux
- Decidueye
- Impa
- Takamaru
- Spring Man
- Bomberman/Rayman
- Captain Toad
- Chrous Kids

Keep the list smaller for the newcomers. If we get so many, by the time 7/8/9 comes out they won't even have any good ones.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I disagree with this post.

Do you have any idea how many people thought Cloud would be a possibility? Who would have possibly expected Solid Snake?

And as for ARMS...I was utterly convinced we'd get Chrom. How on Earth did we get both Robin and Lucina instead?
I hope you are defending Undertale's characters (who at least have a small chance) and not Goku.

Chrom was expected thanks to the Gematsu leak, I don't know much about FE, but I think Robin and Lucina are also main characters in Awakening, not just Chrom. Also, the situation is different, because Chrom was considered, but scrapped because he wasn't unique enough thanks to the number of sword FE characters in Smash.

Even if Spring Man is the most basic character in ARMS, he would still be unique considering no character in Smash can do what he can at the moment.

?????????????

Smash Master
I hope you are defending Undertale's characters (who at least have a small chance) and not Goku.

Chrom was expected thanks to the Gematsu leak, I don't know much about FE, but I think Robin and Lucina are also main characters in Awakening, not just Chrom. Also, the situation is different, because Chrom was considered, but scrapped because he wasn't unique enough thanks to the number of sword FE characters in Smash.

Even if Spring Man is the most basic character in ARMS, he would still be unique considering no character in Smash can do what he can at the moment.
I believe that Spring Man is entirely unique enough, especially to Smash Bros.

I am not expecting Goku whatsoever, but if they someday decided to start including characters that did not originate in video games, Goku would be one of the top picks.

Undertale characters are possible, but I neither think they are likely, nor would I prefer them over other potential newcomers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom