• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, I've heard a box caused everyone to enter panic mode. What's up?
The box for the Smash Ultimate Switch bundle has the characters lined up on the sides (from what we can see at least).
There are two spaces after K Rool, one for Isabelle, and one unoccupied one. The "Box Theory" is the assumption that we're only getting two more characters, (One echo, one unique) as indicated by the box.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
"A Nintendo crossover game that has its Special Edition boxart spoil the remaining additions? That'd never ha-"

View attachment 164362
"Oh."
This example is even better.

2017: "But we know Niles, Oboro, Navarre and Owain are in the game so why aren't they on the box art! It's fake because it's incomplete!"

2018: "But there could still be more characters on the back of the box! Plus we don't know what the other side is. It's fake because it's missing so many obvious characters!"

Occam's Razor, people.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Vergeben has claimed all three of his primary Smash sources say a new pokemon is in (just it being specifically Incineroar is from one source only), while he also attributed Ken and the SE character to these sources.

So one cannot believe Vergeben while also believing the box theory.
Pretty sure that's false.

Ken had other sources. From what I understand, SE guy only had one source.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
You talking about Imran? Yeah he's definitely someone to consider IMO.
Was he the one to say belmont? Hes the one that went mental and ranted about geno, so if it is him, and he knows an SE rep that isnt geno, it would probably be erdrick

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
To be honest, it's not the same to me. While I understand where some people are coming from, there's nothing supporting the idea that the back of the box would have the OG 8, or any other claims. Those are arguments thrown around with no basis.

I'll even go a step further and show a mockup of a scenario in which the OG 8 aren't included on the sides:
View attachment 164358

It doesn't come close to lining up equally. It would take 8 to fill it in completely, and I simply don't see us getting 8 additional characters when we've been clearly told by the lead director that he "Hopes we aren't expecting as many newcomers as previous games.

Also, based on that last part...why would we be speculating on anything then? Based on what you said, everything is meaningless. You and I both know that's simply not true.
We have no idea what it will look like besides maybe two sides. The other side may also have some notice that takes up space.

Also, you all realize Verge can't be right if the box thing is true. He said there would be Ken, a Pokemon and an SE character. All three can't be there if there are only two slots left. Keep that in mind.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Man, I,m gonna take some break from Smashboards till the things cool down.
Maybe the next week this boxart thing is debunked.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Was he the one to say belmont? Hes the one that went mental and ranted about geno, so if it is him, and he knows an SE rep that isnt geno, it would probably be erdrick
Probably not him then. He's a guy with inside info that is rumored to be one of Verge's sources from what I've heard.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
"A Nintendo crossover game that has its Special Edition boxart spoil the remaining additions? That'd never ha-"

View attachment 164362
"Oh."
If the box actually had characters we hadn’t seen on it instead of vague slots, I’d agree with this comparison.

Of course, there’s numerous flaws comparing a month-before box art leak for a relatively throwaway title to the idea that Nintendo’s biggest game of the year would have its highly-speculated roster leaked via extra space on Amazon.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There's a difference between saying people are in denial and straight up insulting them.

Into the trash it goes.
For what isn't equal in degrees of spite is definitely equal in levels of being passive aggressive and just in general being a **** move. :redface:
you stole my ****ing meme
Get a room you two. :4pacman:

Damn you think Snake may be coming back?
Not unless Sakurai is planning on decorating with the box.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Oh, I get it now.

72; 36 on each side.

Since we currently have 68 characters, wouldn't that leave room for 4 more though?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here’s a plus side if this box art thing is true....

...it’s no where near as bad as this starting roster...

Pakky

Smash Hero
I am praying, PRAYING, that DLC will be timed in such a way that we can get Addam or maybe even Jin from Xenoblade over Pyrex, I know I'm going to be disappointed but it sure does give me something to look forward to
Hmmm...

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
God damn guys I am so ****ing excited for DLC. I am so damn excited. Think of the possibilities. Aside from the obvious ones like Isaac and Geno, if they're really not in. The possibilities are endless.
inb4 people request goku and shrek prompting them to pull another bayo and corrin on us

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We have no idea what it will look like besides maybe two sides. The other side may also have some notice that takes up space.

Also, you all realize Verge can't be right if the box thing is true. He said there would be Ken, a Pokemon and an SE character. All three can't be there if there are only two slots left. Keep that in mind.
Remember everyone:
ONLY ONE OF VERGE'S THREE SOURCES CLAIMED WE'D SEE A SQUARE ENIX REP.

Dude has three sources, and let's also remember that NINTENDO IS LIKELY SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION TO PREVENT LEAKS. It's possible that the SE character is a red herring in otherwise true information.

Again, lets think with our heads and not our hearts.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
The best part of this thread is you can't delete your posts, you can't escape if you're wrong.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Inb4 something completely and utterly debunks the theory (like the Original 8 being on the back or something dumb like that).

Ah well. It sucks that we might only have 2 more newcomers to look forward until release, but eh, I can't really complain. I've already gotten my most wanted characters, and DLC can totally happen and they can put in anyone that they might be missing.

Potato_

Smash Lord

Is this what we've come to? Having to compare our roster to probably the worst one in modern AAA fighting games?

Smash roster is good as is, the final reveals possibly being disappointing won't change that much.

MVCI couldn't even represent Capcom decently.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Hey, look I get that many of you are trying to prove a point and have a debate about the outcome. And sometimes you have to assert your opinion. After all, that's how debates usually go

However, there's a difference from asserting your opinon and being a jackass about it.

It doesn't help your argument if you're being passive aggressive or just overly hostile. You're not debating at that point anymore.

So go ahead and try to contest the opposite argument. But do so civilly. You lose the grounds for debate when you're claiming certain aspects of a user or their argument.

So anyway, if Ken is getting in, do you guys think he'll get an actual reveal trailer or not?

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Hey guys, the artwork on the box confirms that we only have two characters left. We should accept it.

Just like how the Ultimate character mural they revealed on June 12th showed the final roster, since there was no more room for any additional characters in the image.

Oh wait...

I'm not saying two more is impossible. But everyone is phoning home because apparently a piece of artistic license SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO COINCIDE ONLY WITH REVEALED INFORMATION ABOUT THE GAME cannot be changed or altered ever, no matter what, even if we get more information.

Just like how Brawls Dojo had only five "?" Spaces for new fighters at several points meaning "yep, five is all we're getting."

The box doesn't even have Isabelle on it. But you guys are right, the design is final, its over. Come on guys, its ok to be prepared for less, but declaring absolute defeat based on these assumptions is silly.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Remember everyone:
ONLY ONE OF VERGE'S THREE SOURCES CLAIMED WE'D SEE A SQUARE ENIX REP.

Dude has three sources, and let's also remember that NINTENDO IS LIKELY SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION TO PREVENT LEAKS. It's possible that the SE character is a red herring in otherwise true information.

Again, lets think with our heads and not our hearts.
I think Vergeben said he was hesitant to reveal who the theoretical 2nd Square Enix character would be, either because he's not entirely sure yet or he thinks his source is pulling his leg.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77000204?jumpto=20#20

Vergeben said:
I heard a name from someone recently as to who it might be, but it came from someone claiming to know it along with "confirming" other information that I had heard.
They might just be trying to fool me into believing what they are saying so that I say it to mess with me and try to harm my credibility so I'm not going to say who they claim it is until I get responses back from my sources that point in a direction proving whether or not there is anything to what they are saying.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The best part of this thread is you can't delete your posts, you can't escape if you're wrong.
That's why I keep saying controversial predictions.
It's part of the fun for me. Which is what this typically is. Fun.

Everyone's at each other's throats here over a box and who exactly the two characters are as well as vergeben in general.
That's not fun haha

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So anyway, if Ken is getting in, do you guys think he'll get an actual reveal trailer or not?
He'd probably be an Echo more likely than not, since that's pretty much what he is. So, no. Maybe in the middle of a Smash direct though

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Seriously though after the Smash 4 Ballot, I really hope fans start getting their act together and take it completely seriously espically if we get another say on the DLC.

Not saying everyone band together for one character but atleast be vocal on who you actually want.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is this what we've come to? Having to compare our roster to probably the worst one in modern AAA fighting games?

Smash roster is good as is, the final reveals possibly being disappointing won't change that much.

MVCI couldn't even represent Capcom decently.
I'd like to live in a world where every criticism isn't met with "At least it's not as bad as..."

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yeah, actually, two at bare minimum makes sense given we have two months left for them to distribute one to each before the month of release.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well gee that's not spiteful or anything.

Take a deep breath and come back when you've calmed down.

Seriously everyone, there's no reason to be at each other's throats here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really hope fans start getting their act together and take it completely seriously espically if we get another say on the DLC.
:4bayonetta: But we know she won from the start. :4bayonetta2: We really had no choice in that one, boss.

kylexv

Smash Master
Hey guys, the artwork on the box confirms that we only have two characters left. We should accept it.

Just like how the Ultimate character mural they revealed on June 12th showed the final roster, since there was no more room for any additional characters in the image.

Oh wait...
The mural was promotional material for E3. The box is a product being sold to customers on launch day. There's a difference here.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Back here again to see after 2 weeks being away. Let’s see what everyone’s been up to.

- More Fake Leaks with the worst pics on earth
- To many of us believe in text leaks as always
- Nintendo Direct Delay & came back being Amazing
- wait... Isabelle is in Smash as a new character not a Echo!! O.O
- Seeing fans not liking Isabelle because she isn’t a Echo and not someone cool? What’s wrong with a cute character...
- Mix reactions about Nintendo Online which at least its $20 with only old games being playable offline for a week...
- Everyone thinks SE character could be Geno but most likely be someone else... Lara Croft ;)
- What’s this about Boxes? Isn’t this Conversation the samething with the clouds and celestial orbs :chrono: What’s next... Do flowers tell us what character is coming?
- DLC for new characters? Umm... to early to think that yet but I agree I’m hype to see what they’ll do with DLC.

Yep, another day in the Smash Forms like usual.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Pretty sure that's false.

Ken had other sources. From what I understand, SE guy only had one source.
When asked on who the source for the SE character was from, he replied "The one you know about", i.e. his "most refutable source" he talks about most that gave him information on every character so far (as well as the information about Minecraft content).

The name of the SE character is from another undefined source. His exact quotes on that:

"I heard a name from someone recently as to who it might be, but it came from someone claiming to know it along with "confirming" other information that I had heard.
They might just be trying to fool me into believing what they are saying so that I say it to mess with me and try to harm my credibility so I'm not going to say who they claim it is until I get responses back from my sources that point in a direction proving whether or not there is anything to what they are saying.
" Source

"I really would like to say who the random person said the Square Enix character is. but if it isn't them, I have to deal with a whole other slew of hatred and harassment from people even though I am outright saying I've contacted my people to see if there is anything to what that person is claiming. " Source

People have to avoid mixing these two posts up with his prior information of the SE character's existence.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

No X-Men, no Deadpool, no Doom, no Fantastic Four, no to anyone who isn’t in the MCU...they ****ed up hard
:4bayonetta: But we know she won from the start. :4bayonetta2: We really had no choice in that one, boss.
I thought :4bayonetta2: was the runner up

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
What are you talking about lol
You claimed that they need to show hype characters to get reaction videos.

I said reaction videos aren’t made based on the character, because they’re made before the character is even announced at all. How “hype” you think the character is has no bearing on whether or not there’s reactiom videos.

Pakky

Smash Hero

For those who don't know about THE BOX...

Ya'know things could just be resized and this is here for product placement purposes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom