• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Looking at her trailer again I honestly don't know why they consider her a newcomer. Her dash attack is the same, her side B and down B are different, her up B looks similar but with different properties. The tilts look VERY similar, and the only big difference are the smashes.

If she's a semi-clone, it's obvious they didn't need to spend too much time developing her. Don't freak out too much people.

LetterO

Smash Lord
The whereabouts of Shadow are still unconfirmed. I could see them doing a huge Echo dump in a Smash Direct.
At this point I'd be pretty disappointed if Shadow becomes an Echo seeing as Isabelle was able to be her own fighter.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So yeah Isabelle seems to be a semiclone of Villager in the same vain Luigi is to Mario

Isabelee has Pocket and Balloon Trip, her Down-B appears to plant a Lloyd Rocket, and her Side-B is probably the fish hook.
Wait isn't her down B the stop sign thing?

Which btw, I need Sakurai to talk about. How exactly does that work?!

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
As a hardcore Animal Crossing fan I'm super happy for Isabelle getting in Smash but as a Smash fan I'm a little surprised that she was the only character reveal we got.

Witch that said Isabelle in Smash, Animal Crossing Switch, and Luigi's Mansion 3 were the highlights of the direct for me

Tart

Smash Cadet
As a standalone reveal trailer it was pretty disappointing, I guess, but as a general direct trailer it was ingenious.

The style of Isabelle's reveal trailer played PERFECTLY into the reveal that followed it, that reveal could've easily been a trailer for a new echo or a new character reveal for Tom Nook in Smash. No one had any freakin' idea if it was still Smash or not. Then they hit us with a goddamn stealth freight train of a reveal, motherbleeping Animal Crossing Switch, the next entry in one of Nintendo's best selling franchises.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gotta say, the range on her grab looks pretty insane.

Who wants to bet that the frame data makes whoever analyses it cry?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
In the end, I'm pretty happy with the Direct. Didn't show off a many games I thought it would, but the reveals were nice. Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing coming next year, and Isabelle in Smash were all great to see.

Not to mention the Starlink coverage. Wolf looks so good!

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Wolf is a semi clone.

I'm saying this because I'm seeing a decent amount of people trying to argue out of Isabelle being a semi clone.

We have confirmation from Sakurai that Wolf was designed in such a way that he was only 70% of a newcomer.
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/08/17/sakuraibrawlquestions/

and this is despite of this he also has widely different normals just like Isabelle. In fact I would say he is potentially more unique than Isabelle from what we seen so far.

Isabelle is a semi clone I say.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Seriously ...

You guys are salty over one of the last TRUE Nintendo All-Stars making it into the game?

Shame on you, you don't even deserve this game. Really ...

Isabelle.gif

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
So I was thinking about how the Smash Pro Controller, Smash Gamecube Controller/Adapter and Smash Switch Bundle are all coming out on November 2nd. I wonder if they are planning to release a demo for Smash Ultimate that weekend and it is one way to make sure everyone has the controller options they want to play the demo (and how they will actually play Smash when it comes out a month later)

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
The more I see isabelle's trailer, the more I see her as a mix of villager with other fighters, I dont know how yo explain it. She looks really cool

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So did we gloss over the fact that Sakurai teased Luigi's Mansion 3?
Same Poltergeist and the Plunger were in the trailer.

Sly, sly man.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random piece of trivia, this now means that every Smash game has introduced a series that now has multiple characters

64: All but Yoshi and F-Zero
Melee: Fire Emblem
Brawl: Kid Icarus
4: Animal Crossing
Ultimate: Castlevania

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Looking at her trailer again I honestly don't know why they consider her a newcomer. Her dash attack is the same, her side B and down B are different, her up B looks similar but with different properties. The tilts look VERY similar, and the only big difference are the smashes.

If she's a semi-clone, it's obvious they didn't need to spend too much time developing her. Don't freak out too much people.
Could you point me to which tilts look the same? They all seem completely different to me.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don’t have a horse in this race with Verg, but from E3 to now, hasn’t he only seemed to look more credible?
I'm basing this on his track record.

I wrote a lot on the "leakers" for the Nintendo Switch. One thing I notice people do is they add BS info with good info. Laura Dale did exactly that. Rabbids Kingdom Battle was real, and using that, she made up a bunch of fake info and pushed her PayPal. If all the other stuff was wrong, then she would just push it aside and say "Whoops, plans change." What killed her and others was Rabbids wasn't shown in January but was saved for E3.

I expect Verge works in a similar way. He's doing it for attention and he's smart enough to make things vague as not to be held to specific dates. He's been dupped and he's even edited post to appear credible. My guess is he had a friend at Namco Bandai who told him stuff and either that guy is gone or he runs out of info. Look at what he's talked the most about and has the best track record with. Soul Caliber 6, Dragon Ball Fighters Z, Smash Bros, Metroid Prime 4 being made by them. It's always Namco Bandai. It's rare for someone to know everything about a project so information will likely run out. But Verge loves attention. I expect he embellishes to keep the attention after the good stuff dries up. He also seems to make a lot up so he could be doing that. It's hard to say. What he is most credible is his very early stuff but even some of that hasn't happened yet (i.e. Minecraft content). It's hard to give him credit for Isabelle when a lot of people expected Isabelle.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
For those of you upset she's more unique than Dark Samus, and potentially characters like Shadow, it's because she wasn't an afterthought. I've always thought Isabelle was one of the first newcomers Sakurai would plan for (a sort of just missed the boat for 4). Echoes on the other hand are last minute development time bonuses.

Idk how this works with Ken though if Verg is right :/

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Seriously ...

You guys are salty over one of the last TRUE Nintendo All-Stars making it into the game?

Shame on you, you don't even deserve this game. Really ...

View attachment 163985

What do you expect when people were all like

"So I'm expecting maybe start with a newcomer, end with one, and screw it through in a few echos near the middle."

Honestly you people set yourselves up for this. Sakurai never said he wouldn't make anymore Semiclones. Sakurai never said he was gonna do two newcomers a month or whatever. Sakurai literally said "expect fewer than usual" and I see people expecting any many newcomers as other games if you count echos.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
In the end, I'm pretty happy with the Direct. Didn't show off a many games I thought it would, but the reveals were nice. Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing coming next year, and Isabelle in Smash were all great to see.

Wolf looks really good in red, I like his Starlink design better than the purple smash design.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
To think that these are some of Ultimate's newcomers. What a contrast.

Shroob

Sup?
Alright, so...

Assuming Verg is 100% legit.

Even though I support Ken wholeheartedly, I support him more due to being iconic than anything else.

How would you 'semi-clone' him from Ryu?

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

This legit creeps me out because he actually just looks like a dog that ate something nasty.

amageish

Smash Master
Someone else probably posted this somewhere, but Jon from GameXplain had some... oddly correct predictions in the GX prediction video - including Kirby's Epic Yarn for 3DS, Isabelle being a unique fighter (though he was wrong about what her moveset would be like), all of the FF ports, Luigi Mansion Co-op, and a few other things. He also got a lot wrong (he predicted Golden Sun getting a 3DS remake, Persona 4 Golden coming to the Switch, among other things).

I certainly don't think we should make a Mimique out of him, but given how they had a pre-E3 video about Ridley's chances in Smash that casually had a Daisy cameo, before both Daisy and Ridley were revealed... They certainly are good at coincidences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom