• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I just realized something, since Isabelle is basically confirmed semi clone and not an echo of Villager. Could the same thing happen for Shadow?

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'm going to bed now, but here are my thoughts;

I'm really happy about Isabelle. I loved Animal Crossing New Leaf.
The trailer was perfect for hyping Animal Crossing 2019 title.

When I read the "not actual game footage" I knew she would be revealed, and my heart pounded hard.
I was telling myself on repeat; "Isabelle is in the game, Isabelle is in the game"

ALSO.
Let's talk about Tom Nook.

Remember how Dark Pit was shown in Palutena's trailer, but not revealed before the game was out?
I would not rule Nook out just yet. Nook could be an echo fighter of Villager or Isabelle, easy because of this. At least this way we will have our Animal Crossing villain.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Kind of surprised by the salty reactions but then I realized Smash fans are old and Isabelle is more known to the younger folk and it makes sense.

Probably not helped by the extra week of wait and Skull Kid/Isaac/Geno fans going nuts over their character recently. Perhaps it is a reveal they needed to realize there are no guarantees in Smash despite "logic" """hinting""" otherwise.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Remember how Dark Pit was shown in Palutena's trailer, but not revealed before the game was out?
I would not rule Nook out just yet. Nook could be an echo fighter of Villager or Isabelle, easy because of this. At least this way we will have our Animal Crossing villain.
But Tom is already present in both Villager and Isabelle's final smashes...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think if there's another reveal between September/October it won't be someone heavily requested like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, etc.

It'll be someone a little more along the lines of Isabelle, super popular, but very casual driven.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
You know there are a bunch of people proclaiming that people are allowed to be disappointed (note: I agree with this, don't get me wrong), but this sentiment only seems to hold when the majority feel a certain way. After the original E3 direct I mentioned some misgivings I had with the way Ultimate was shown/shaping up and also that Ridley does nothing for my hype. And let me tell you, it most certainly did NOT feel like people wanted to "allow" me to be disappointed. Which is unfortunate.

Yes people are allowed to be disappointed. But remember that that applies whether you are the one disappointed or whether you are the one that is currently hyped. You can't have it both ways.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm going to bed now, but here are my thoughts;

I'm really happy about Isabelle. I loved Animal Crossing New Leaf.
The trailer was perfect for hyping Animal Crossing 2019 title.

When I read the "not actual game footage" I knew she would be revealed, and my heart pounded hard.
I was telling myself on repeat; "Isabelle is in the game, Isabelle is in the game"

ALSO.
Let's talk about Tom Nook.

I don't think so. I mean, the trailer specifically said he had other businesses to attend to go get ready for AC Switch. If anything it feels like the opposite.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
that still doesnt make it any better as a trailer thats introing a character for a fighting game,
No matter your personal opinion

No matter my personal opinion

No matter how many arguments I've gotten into about why Melee deserves its spot at Evo and how Smash could integrate into the FGC and yada yada yada

No matter what bones they throw us every now and again due to fan demand

It's important that Nintendo, and probably Sakurai for that matter, do not look at Smash as a fighting game.

And even if they are trying to change that cause competitive Esports is hot **** right now, they have no idea what they're doing in that regard, they aren't a fighting game developer.

All in all I thought the trailer was cute and amusing, which is what I'd expect from a Isabelle trailer that is simultaneously a Animal Crossing announcement trailer.

They aren't gonna bust out the expensive cinematics for her, they're saving that for Dante

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I just realized something, since Isabelle is basically confirmed semi clone and not an echo of Villager. Could the same thing happen for Shadow?
I don't think so, making Isabelle a semi-clone rather than an echo makes sense because she's a character that's super popular with casual fans and she's the face of one of nintendo's major franchises. The same doesn't really apply to shadow and unless he somehow scored massively high on the ballot that time could be better spent on someone else.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
The target audience is animal crossing fans.
I mean, I'm a super big AC fan and I didn't like it. Villager's reveal was a million times better.
No Smash logo, so the dumb "not actual game footage" spoiled it was a Smash thing unceremoniously, no interaction with characters outside of AC, slow paced and longer than necessary. They could've done much better than that.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Surprised that some have the "the Direct got delayed and all we got was Isabelle" mentality. It was always going to be a general Nintendo Direct. Not sure why a more casual pick is such a major issue? Animal Crossing is a huge Nintendo franchise.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I’m way more hype for Isabelle than I was for Villager, so this is at least as exciting for me as Chrom was for the same reason (and a little more so!)

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
"Haha, take that whiners. Isabelle too pacifist to get in?? Salt!!! If you aren't happy, just get out!!"
10 likes, totally fine

Other post:
"Ehh.. I'm pretty disappointed."
Quoted like 4 times with people telling them how wrong they are.

Jeez, reading this thread has been an absolute slog.

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
So yeah Isabelle seems to be a semiclone of Villager in the same vain Luigi is to Mario

Isabelee has Pocket and Balloon Trip, her Down-B appears to plant a Lloyd Rocket, and her Side-B is probably the fish hook.
Eveb though she is a semi clone, I expect her to play vastly different. People used Villagers side B a lot as far as I know atleast and it's completely different. some moves can change the entire way a character is played for better or worse

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wanted Opossum's moveset for Isabelle.

Sakurai's implementation is not exciting.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I know we're all sad, but remember we still have October and November left. There's still some hope.
To clarify, what i meant with this was that we're sad because our top picks didn't make it in, not because of Isabelle being shown. She's adorable and i'll use her over Villager, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Idk what ppl be complaining about. I mean while I wasn't big about the direct itself, when you look at Animal Crossing history, it was pretty popular over quite a bit of years. Heck, it even started during the Gamecube times, and I should know (as I've owned that game). Anyways, I am not disappointed in Isabelle at all. I'm literally just biding my time to listening for the voices over the horizon. Where comes voices/dialogue, Kid Icarus love won't be very far. Plus someone made the point that it not being a Smash Direct would obviously mean not a huge reveal. So well, the benefit of not having a high expectation this time.

Long story short, though I'm not big on the direct, I'm at least calm about it, and Isabelle is cute. That I can appreciate.
When the next Smash Direct comes, and if we hear voices somewhere, that will be a good time for us to start an...

...wait for it...

...Uprising of Hype. :ultpit::ultpalutena:
(Still rooting for ya Phosphora and Medusa)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tom Nook isn't a villain.

He's a kind hearted Tanooki who is a businessman. He never forces you into anything and in fact is unlike any real business man would be.

''Ah, yes that lofty payment for your house? Just pay it whenever you like."

Tom. Nook. Is. An. Angel. And I will not allow anyone to slander his name.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’d be happy to play as Isabelle in whatever role she takes, but I’m really hoping she doesn’t end up as an Echo fighter.

Villager’s moveset is a near-perfect representation of Animal Crossing’s gameplay (weird fishing rod neglect aside), but I think Isabelle could be a unique fighter that more accurately captures the spirit and personality of the series. One idea that I’ve really latched onto is her using the numerous emotions from the games for a lot of her attacks. Some examples I had are the “!” and “?” as potential uptilt/upsmash, laughter as a nair, or sorrow for a down smash (the tears having a hitbox). Obviously some of them would have to be reworked, but they are all a pretty big part of what makes AC so stylizedand unique, and I think Isabelle is a perfect way to represent that. Add some moves representing her clumsiness/flightiness, utilizing party poppers, and other leftover materials like fruit and seashells, and you have a unique character and a perfect Isabelle.

That said, I care more about her being on the roster than about how she fights. I just want to see Isabelle showing up alonside the biggest Nintendo stars!
Isabelle is my most wanted character, now that K. Rool made it in. Animal Crossing is my favorite series, Isabelle is my (second) favorite NPC, and I think she really should be in.

I’ve been scoffed at for even suggesting it, but I’d really love it if she got her own moveset. I think Isabelle would look really odd using Villager’s animations, and there’s so much more that could be taken from Animal Crossing than what we see our current rep doing.
I’ve become super attached to the idea of Isabelle using the different emotions to attack, which provide a lot of charm in the series and aren’t touched at all by Villager. Add it stuff she does in-game, like party poppers, pwps, and her clumsiness, and she could be a really fun character.

She’ll probably be an echo if anything, and that saddens me, but I will take it any day over not getting her at all.

I just wanna say, I made these type of posts here, there, and everywhere. I prayed against all hope that she wouldn’t just be a Villager echo. I wanted her to stand out and be unique, and she did it. She made it in. She’s got a mop, and a stop sign, and an ADORABLE DANCE...

She’s everything I wanted. K. Rool stole my heart, but Isabelle has claimed it forever.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
a character that's super popular with casual fans. The same doesn't really apply to shadow.
WAT? Shadow is popular as hell among casuals, he's the Vegeta to Sonic's Goku.

I mean I still see him more likely getting an echo but I wouldn't be surprised to be proven wrong, he's extremely iconic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom