• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
-Mario is the most recognizable gaming franchise of all time and there's also only 8 Mario characters, 7 if you don't count Daisy. Seems a bit low to me actually.
-It's time to boot Star Fox then? This did not matter during the Ballot and I'm not sure why it matters in general as it means nothing for his Smash chances
-SPM sold 4.23 million copies and also sales have never seemed to matter for a first party rep, and it's a bold leap to call them "failures" when the first 3 were critically well received and still beloved today.
Ah...this feels just like the good old days. Thank you Iguess.
Luigi the Masochist

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
l
The Shantae thread has more replies than the Paper Mario's
The only reason why Shantae got popular among Smash fans is because WayForward shilled themselves out on Twitter begging fans to vote for her on the Smash Ballot. If WayForward not done that then the Shantae bandwagon would have stopped long ago or not even existed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm just going to put my top 5 for every smash game out there so you can get a basic idea of my favorite newcomers by smash game.

SSB:
:jigglypuff64: > :dk64: > :samus64: > :link64: > :kirby64:

SSBM:
:ganondorfmelee: > :peachmelee: > :bowsermelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :younglinkmelee:

SSBB:
:snake: > :sonic: > :pt: > :metaknight: > :wolf:

SSB4:
:4ryu: > :4cloud: > :4megaman: > :4bowserjr: > :4lucina:

SSBU:
:ultridley: > :ultsimon: > :ultkrool: > :ultchrom: > :ultrichter:
64: :ultkirby: > :ultluigi: > :ultfalcon: > :ultmario: > :ultpikachu:
Melee: :ultpeach: > :ultsheik: > :ultfalco: > :ultmewtwo: >:ulticeclimbers:
Brawl: :ultzss: > :ultsnake: > :ultsonic: > :ultlucas:> :ultlucario:
4: :ultshulk: > :ultcloud: > :ultlucina: > :ultryu: > :ultpacman:
Ultimate: (spot reserved for Elma) > (spot reserved for Waddle Dee) > :ultsimon: > :ultrichter: > :ultchrom:

yes I'm reserving spots on Ultimate for two newcomers I really want don't @ me

Iridium

Smash Hero
They should have did the direct last Thursday as planned. Are they going to delay it everytime a natural disaster takes place anywhere in the world, or just when it happens in Japan?
If Nintendo was an American company and the U.S. suffered a devastating earthquake, would a Direct be the first thing you think of afterwards, or no?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
They should have did the direct last Thursday as planned. Are they going to delay it everytime a natural disaster takes place anywhere in the world, or just when it happens in Japan?
I'd sit you down and talk about the intricacies of Japanese culture and how they prioritize helping their own people first and foremost before putting out a worldwide game advertisement, but I figure that it'd be a conclusion most people can come to on their own.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Shroob

Sup?
Is there some ACTUAL trashing of Paper Mario?

Bruh, TTYD is one of the greatest games of all time. Don’t even come at me with that ****.

Paper Mario would be a great pick for a newcomer. Even if he IS Mario, his moveset would be entirely different to any other Mario you could add to Smash.

While I don’t consider it a likely prospect, Paper Mario in Smash gets me going. Thousand Year Door is one of my favorites. I always say I want to do a play through again, but I always get new games and don’t have the time to play because of other responsibilities (new house, gf, full time job).

Anyway, Paper Mario is great. Come at me.
I like Paper Mario TTYD, but "Greatest Game of All time" is hard for me to say when there's soo much....

*Ahem*

Backtracking

I want to consider TTYD a GOAT, but Twilight Town and both General White scenarios just kill my enjoyment whenever they come up. It's just tedious busywork.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm just going to put my top 5 for every smash game out there so you can get a basic idea of my favorite newcomers by smash game.

SSB:

SSBM:
:ganondorfmelee: > :peachmelee: > :bowsermelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :younglinkmelee:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
SSB64:
:jigglypuff64: > :luigi64: > :fox64: > :falcon64: > :dk64:

Melee:
:roymelee: > :ganondorfmelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :falcomelee: > :bowsermelee:

Brawl:
:charizard: >>>>>>>>>> :sonic: > :warioc: > :wolf: > :dedede:

Smash 4:
:4pacman: > :4littlemac: > :4ryu: > :4megaman: > :4greninja:

Ultimate:
:ultkrool: >>>>>>>>> :ultridley: > :ultsimon: > :ultrichter: > :ultdarksamus:

Brawl had the best newcomer additions by far imo, I don't think any Smash game could give us as many fan favorites as Brawl did. I think Ultimate will fulfill a lot of requests though, like Ridley and King K. Rool.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

SSB:

SSBM:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
My first Smash was Brawl, but I'm including SSB and Melee since I went back playing them, so I wil do my cosideration by gameplay.

SSB
:luigi64:>:mario64:>:falcon64:>:fox64:>:link64:

Melee
:drmario:>:mewtwomelee:>:peachmelee:>:bowsermelee:>:icsmelee:

Brawl
:snake:>:olimar:>:dedede:>:pt:>:rob:

Smash For
:4lucina:>:4palutena:>:4duckhunt:>:4wiifit:>:rosalina::4villager:

DLC
:4cloud:>:4bayonetta2:>:4corrinf:>:4ryu:

Ultimate
:ultsimon:>:ultkrool:>:ultinkling:>:ultchrom:>:ultdaisy:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
True. I wonder what it was and whether they will remove it from the direct altogether or not.
According to Laura Kate Dale, which works and worked in a bunch of videogame news jobs, there was a game in the Direct which was one of the reasons, if not the entire reason of the delay, and that we will know when we finally get to see it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And they must be all giant, and the smallest stage available.
Don't forget having them all under a frozen state and pausing the game while zooming into them all very closely.

If 8 Lucas's lagged the game a ton this way, who knows what the Ice Climbers will achieve... :p

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
The only reason why Shantae got popular among Smash fans is because WayForward shilled themselves out on Twitter begging fans to vote for her on the Smash Ballot. If WayForward not done that then the Shantae bandwagon would have stopped long ago or not even existed.
Okay we can stop pretending to bash Shantae now.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
According to Laura Kate Dale, which works and worked in a bunch of videogame news jobs, there was a game in the Direct which was one of the reasons, if not the entire reason of the delay, and that we will know when we finally get to see it.
Some were thinking it was Isaac's earthquake attacks maybe, assuming he was even going to be revealed anyway.

And to all the people quoting my other post, go ahead and donate your entire bank account to help the victims if you care that much. Otherwise, get off your high horse.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Quality idea there mate:
Super Smash Bros.:
  1. :link64:
  2. :samus64:
  3. :dk64:
  4. :falcon64:
  5. :mario64:
Melee:
  1. :marthmelee:
  2. :mewtwomelee:
  3. :bowsermelee:
  4. :roymelee:
  5. :icsmelee:
Brawl:
  1. :snake: (I mean obviously)
  2. :ike: (Obviously)
  3. :sonic:
  4. :diddy:
  5. :warioc:
For 3DS/Wii U:
  1. :4littlemac:
  2. :4shulk:
  3. :4megaman:
  4. :4ryu:
  5. :4cloud2::4cloud:
Ultimate (so far):
  1. :ultsimon::ultrichter:
  2. :ultkrool:
  3. :ultridley:
  4. :ultdarksamus:
  5. :ultchrom:
:ultIsaac: when he gets here would probably be right under Ridley.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Just in case it means something, for relief or whatever.
Except that's not true. Here's the cover. Note the "大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ SPECIAL" on the bottom left. For those who can't read Japanese, that translates to Super Smash Brothers SPECIAL (Dai Rantou Sumashu burazas SPECIAL, literally)

Iridium

Smash Hero
Quality idea there mate:
Super Smash Bros.:
  1. :link64:
  2. :samus64:
  3. :dk64:
  4. :falcon64:
  5. :mario64:
Melee:
  1. :marthmelee:
  2. :mewtwomelee:
  3. :bowsermelee:
  4. :roymelee:
  5. :icsmelee:
Brawl:
  1. :snake: (I mean obviously)
  2. :ike: (Obviously)
  3. :sonic:
  4. :diddy:
  5. :warioc:
For 3DS/Wii U:
  1. :4littlemac:
  2. :4shulk:
  3. :4megaman:
  4. :4ryu:
  5. :4cloud2::4cloud:
Ultimate (so far):
  1. :ultsimon::ultrichter:
  2. :ultkrool:
  3. :ultridley:
  4. :ultdarksamus:
  5. :ultchrom:
:ultIsaac: when he gets here would probably be right under Ridley.
Is there any good Golden Sun music you can show here? I love to play good music during a match...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Except that's not true. Here's the cover. Note the "大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ SPECIAL" on the bottom left. For those who can't read Japanese, that translates to Super Smash Brothers SPECIAL (Dai Rantou Sumashu burazas SPECIAL, literally)
For what feels like the millionth time, that was last week's magazine issue, which had Sakurai's article on music in the game.

No one really understands why they are labeled a week in advance (last week's said 9/13 for some reason and this coming week's says 9/20).

If there is smash news in the direct (probably a newcomer) it will probably be in Sakurai's next article 2 weeks from now. Not this upcoming Famitsu.

SOURCE: Push Dustin has said this multiple times and he's our main source for the Sakurai Column translations, so he would know.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

SSB:

SSBM:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
SSBM
:ultmewtwo::ulticeclimbers:

SSBB
:ultpit::ultlucario::ultwolf::ultsnake::ultkingdedede::ultdiddy::ultpokemontrainer:

SSB4
Meh...:ultgreninja: I suppose

SSBU
:ultwolf::ulticeclimbers::ultsnake::ultdarksamus::ultpokemontrainer::ultkrool::ultsimon:

I know I went over 5 for Brawl and Ultimate but only because the other installments had less than 5.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Call me jaded if you like but when a company maintains its business plan through a life-claiming typhoon and then streams a Splatoon tournament a day after the intended airdate (things no one seems to be focusing on), it seems the primary motivator for the delay was more likely a measure against tarnished public opinion due to some earthquake-related subject matter than one of altruism.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Some were thinking it was Isaac's earthquake attacks maybe, assuming he was even going to be revealed anyway.
It's far more likely to be the Xenoblade DLC since I'm pretty sure it details an entire nation getting destroyed and sinking into the ocean.

That cover is from Aug 30. The issue being released this week is for Sept 27th.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

And to all the people quoting my other post, go ahead and donate your entire bank account to help the victims if you care that much. Otherwise, get off your high horse.
Yeah, now that I think about it, it's entirely possible that by "a game" she actually meant Smash Ultimate and Isaac's reveal trailer. I suppose that if that was indeed the case she wouldn't say that especifically, as that would imply revealing the fact that there is a newcomer reveal in the Direct.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Alright so what match-ups will you look forward to with the veterans and current Ultimate newcomers?

For me:
:ultbowser:vs :ultridley: vs :ultkrool: vs :ultyoshi: vs :ultpokemontrainer: vs :ultgreninja: vs :ultbowserjr:
Full fledged reptile/amphibian battle!

:ultryu:vs :ultsnake:vs:ultrichter:vs:ultroy:vs:ultike:
Bandana Squad! (Just need Waddle Dee)

:ultpichu: vs :ultridley:
Cute vs Creepy
:ultbayonetta: vs :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:
Curse you vile temptress

:ultpikachu: vs:ultpichu:

Hi dad/mom (their mom is a luchador, you go girl!)

:ultinkling:vs :ultsnake:

Woomy, woomy never changes

:ultkrool:vs :ultridley:
Let's spar bro

:ultwiifittrainer:vs:ultkrool:
You're coming with me...

:ultdaisy: vs anyone

HI I'M DAISY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Just in case it means something, for relief or whatever.
>Persona Q2

It doesn't even have Smash but I'm already hyped.

We've gone over this before. Famitsu magazines are printed two weeks in advance. The 9/13 issue contains info from the August Direct.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Is there any good Golden Sun music you can show here? I love to play good music during a match...
There's Isaac's incredibly iconic battle theme that I just love so damn much.
There is a LOT more but this is the one that everyone talks about when they talk about trailer music for him.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Call me jaded if you like but when a company maintains its business plan through a life-claiming typhoon and then streams a Splatoon tournament a day after the intended airdate (things no one seems to be focusing on), it seems the primary motivator for the delay was more likely a measure against tarnished public opinion due to some earthquake-related subject matter than one of altruism.
That's the entire reason for the delay, and it's not a secret. People are just so attached to Nintendo that they see it more as a person with actual feelings rather than a company who just makes decisions based on what a good business practice is.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I don't want to come off as an ass, but.... this.

"We need to delay the Direct due to the quake."

*The literaly day after*

"HEY, LET'S ALL WATCH A SPLATOON2 TOURNAMENT!"

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman

SSB:

SSBM:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
because bandwagoning is fun:

SSB:
:luigi64:>:kirby64:>:pikachu64:>:samus64:>:jigglypuff64:

SSBM:
:icsmelee:>:gawmelee:>:mewtwomelee:>:sheikmelee:>:peachmelee:

SSBB:
:snake:>:squirtle:>:metaknight:>:zerosuitsamus:>:lucario:

SSB4:
:4bayonetta:>:4wiifit:>:4villagerf:>:rosalina:>:4megaman:

SSBU:
:ultdaisy:>:ultrichter:>:ultridley:>:ultinkling:>:ultsimon:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, this has come to be the most likely reason IMO.
I just simply didn't want to discuss it as it felt disrespectful and rude.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
It's almost like there's a middle-ground between giving up your life to aid in every disaster that occurs and respecting the decisions others make to not draw attention from tragedies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I personally think that was pretty obvious lol.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
-Mario is the most recognizable gaming franchise of all time and there's also only 8 Mario characters, 7 if you don't count Daisy. Seems a bit low to me actually.
There would be more for the Mario series if the other parts of the franchise weren’t given their own sub series in Smash (cause there’s a total of 13 :ultmario::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultwario::ultdiddy::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultdaisy::ultkrool:, 12 without :ultdaisy:, then without the subs it goes down to 7...but as a bonus there’s 20 counting the Koopaling alts, sub series characters and echoes)

So we got...:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::ultdaisy::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultwario:

Followed by the Pokémon/Fire Emblem 7, Zelda’s 6, and Metroid’s 4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom