• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Real quick I'd like to point out that the Mario Tornado, and by extension both Dr. Tornado and Luigi Cyclone are based off of Mario and Luigi's Spin Jump abilities from Super Mario World. Still, you are correct on that front.
Really? It does not appear like the spin jump at all, so that is why I thought it was not from a Mario game. I can not believe I never found out that fact until you told me. I should also mention that Villager's up-b is not from any of his games, in fact another. It got in, so I could see Toad randomly shooting out fire and ice projectiles without having to get the flower like Mario and Luigi shooting fire projectiles is fine. Like I said, think outside the barrier.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I like the idea of Toad being another Luigified Mario honestly. Even a full cross between Peach and Mario. He’d get Peach’s down B and essentially neutral b (he wouldn’t hold Toad out, he’d just assume a counter stance and spore out in 360 degrees). For a B forward, he never was playable in a game with with cape feathers, so he can get a power up from New Super Mario Bros Wii or Wii U or 3D World (or run, but that makes no sense here). Honestly, give him he ice flower. It’ll further cement an identity. And for a B Up give him a propeller hat.

Toad could work and Toad could work easily both bringing someone barebones and accessible, as well as immediately balances to the other mushroom kingdom reps.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Toad is a fast playable character.

Linking some of his attacks to Mariokart items and giving him rocket shoes all make sense.

D

Deleted member

MamaLuigi123456 MamaLuigi123456 I fixed my long post so that people would not get confused, if that makes you happy.
I like the idea of Toad being another Luigified Mario honestly. Even a full cross between Peach and Mario. He’d get Peach’s down B and essentially neutral b (he wouldn’t hold Toad out, he’d just assume a counter stance and spore out in 360 degrees). For a B forward, he never was playable in a game with with cape feathers, so he can get a power up from New Super Mario Bros Wii or Wii U or 3D World (or run, but that makes no sense here). Honestly, give him he ice flower. It’ll further cement an identity. And for a B Up give him a propeller hat.

Toad could work and Toad could work easily both bringing someone barebones and accessible, as well as immediately balances to the other mushroom kingdom reps.
That sounds like a pretty good idea. A Mario, Luigi and Peach move-set mixture. Would make him a semi-clone but it is fine. Toad does have a lot of move-set potential. Maybe he can have the "dunk" effect like Mario except weaker and less range but it comes out way faster than Mario's dunk does. Or his up air can be like a "juggle" where he hits you with the top of his hat propeller. Any more you users in this thread got for me to take notes?

Linking some of his attacks to Mariokart items and giving him rocket shoes all make sense.
That would not be a bad idea, but it would be weird to implement that. It would be dull if he pulled out a banana like Diddy Kong. All other items ( even a shell ) would be busted. Rocket shoes are a little random though.
Toad confirmed as a Zero Suit Samus clone.
:joyful:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Toad confirmed as a Zero Suit Samus clone.
Ironically, I suggested this pre-Sm4sh and I think even pre-Brawl.

The only logical conclusion is that Sakurai looked at these forums and copied me. Confirming Zero Suit Samus as a Toad clone.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sorry. It does make me look bad indeed. I just wanted to defend my opinion too much. :p

Balloon fighter is my choice! If they added a stage of him in the 3DS, he has hope. I would say that Villager's up-b would either have to change or it could be a problem to Balloon Fighter's arrival. The thing is, poor Balloon Man is buried deep down and it would take a miracle to add him. I think he is going to have the same case with Takamaru in Smash 4, not enough fan support + the developers not wanting to change Villager's up-b. Thoughts?
The thing is, I never truly saw Villager as a way of stopping Balloon Fighter. Sure one character has a move that is a tribute to his game, but Balloon Fighter's whole gimmick would be balloons (as in he can use them in more ways than just flying with them, even sacrifice them for an attack). Two balloons would add more floatiness and recovery, and without them he would be pretty much the same weight as Mario and have less means of recovery. With a pump special, he can easily pump more, though that would steal leave him vulnerable to quick attackers.

Also, Balloon Man is from Game & Watch Gallery and a different character from Ballon Fighter.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
MamaLuigi123456 MamaLuigi123456

That would not be a bad idea, but it would be weird to implement that. It would be dull if he pulled out a banana like Diddy Kong. All other items ( even a shell ) would be busted. Rocket shoes are a little random though.

:joyful:
I imagine his rocket shoes based off the B Dasher.
MK7_B_Dasher copy.jpg

Items and objects Toad can use from Mariokart include Piranha Plant, Golden Mushroom, POW Block, Coins, Ramp and Turbo Rings.

Attachments

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
There is something that I don't understand in smash community why I see some people say that being a female is one of the reasons why the "X" character should be playable in smash?

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
There is something that I don't understand in smash community why I see some people say that being a female is one of the reasons why the "X" character should be playable in smash?
To make the roster diverse I guess.

But characters should get in for their own merits and what new they can bring to the table than just being female.

As much as I'd like Dixie Kong or Medusa, being female is the last reason why they should take priority over the characters.

D

Deleted member

I honestly think that's also true for being a villain, or being another "rep" of X series.
Characters should get in for who they are, not what they are.
Also moveset >>>>> everything

\(°|°)/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
This old song and dance again. None of you know what you want until you get it anyway, so just go with more female characters.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
So as of now, my assumed likelihood of newcomers would be:
Inklings are guaranteed
Takamaru, Bandanna Dee, and Arle Nadja are highly likely
Rex, Captain Toad, and Spring Man have a fair chance, but their ability to remain relevant by the time Smash 5 is being developed.
Ridley, King K. Rool, Ashley, and Waluigi are unlikely, only a sudden change of mind or change of leadership can help their chances.
Pokemon and Fire Emblem, I honestly can't predict. I don't know when the most relevant entry will be at the time, so I don't know who they would choose to promote.

Anyone else I'll be totally surprised to see.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As much as I'd like Dixie Kong or Medusa, being female is the last reason why they should take priority over the characters.
Yeah, being female shouldn't be the sole reason for their inclusion.

Dixie was the best Kong in the DKC games (even in Retro's ones that forced Donkey Kong to be P1) and Medusa was the original villain of Kid Icarus. If Palutena could have a moveset made out of multiplayer abilities than so could she.

D

Deleted member

Dixie is the only female character I want, tbh. I'm indifferent to most other options.
But just no Daisy pls.

\(°|°)/

D

Deleted member

I know the users here are probably tired of me defending Ridley, but you saying that we should just give up on not only Ridley's chances but also the chances of ANY Metroid character getting in Smash is just ludicrous. People who are quick to point out where Sakurai stands on Ridley seem to forget that he was also originally against the idea of Villager and Pac-Man getting in Smash. How did that turn out? I have no idea what caused him to change his mind, but regardless, the outcome shows us that Sakurai's word is never final. Whether or not he has a change of heart for Ridley and the Metroid series remains to be seen, but saying all hope is lost for a series that's not even dormant seems crazy.

And who cares if Japan doesn't want Metroid? Japan doesn't always dictate which franchises will become successful. You think the Legend of Zelda and Smash Bros. itself would still be big Nintendo IPs if NA didn't love them so much?
Villager and Pac-Man are poor comparisons because they were rejected once in Brawl and then added the next game. Sakurai has rejected Ridley twice despite noting Ridley's popularity. If not even the fans can get him to change his hardline stance on Ridley being a bosslike character, nothing will. His words on Ridley is final.

Also Zelda and Smash are big in Japan as many installments of both franchises have sold over half a million, a few have even gone over a million. This includes The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild which combining both the Wii U and Switch, have sold over a million accord to Famitsu. Franchises like Metroid are an outlier, not the rule.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Villager and Pac-Man are poor comparisons because they were rejected once in Brawl and then added the next game. Sakurai has rejected Ridley twice despite noting Ridley's popularity. If not even the fans can get him to change his hardline stance on Ridley being a bosslike character, nothing will. His words on Ridley is final.

Also Zelda and Smash are big in Japan as many installments of both franchises have sold over half a million, a few have even gone over a million. This includes The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild which combining both the Wii U and Switch, have sold over a million accord to Famitsu. Franchises like Metroid are an outlier, not the rule.
He was rejected once. Sakurai never actually thought of putting him in Brawl. It never crossed his mind. Smash 4 is literally the first time he officially rejected him at all.

It's possible he could get in, but I still don't think it's likely. Main reason is lacking a body that's easy to make workable in a balanced form. Not so much "too big" as "too lanky" in this case.

The comparisons overall are good and accurate anyway. Of course, that doesn't mean Ridley will get in. Likewise, there's Mewtwo who he wanted in Smash 64, but didn't get in till Melee. Another similar case was Bowser, in the same situation. Then King Dedede he wanted in Melee, but didn't become possible till Brawl. A lot of characters he rejects tends to get in the next game overall. Does this mean Ridley will get in? No, it does not. It just means he's aware of the fact that people want him and will look into it. We already saw his design in Smash 4 having him act far more like a Smash Character than a regular boss. With proper command throws, even Smash attacks. There's also the article which explains why he couldn't make the character playable(part of it was size-related, but people seem to misunderstand the point. It doesn't help that people just scream "too big" while ignoring that it's more the overall design being difficult to shrink down when it comes to various hitboxes and hurtboxes, especially with a long tail). It honestly seems like he tried to make him playable, but couldn't and gave him a unique stage role to compensate and use some of the moves programmed. He's not too clear on whether he actually tried to make him playable directly, or just rejected him due to the concept not being possible. Could go either way.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
And the winner of the last poll is the samurai Takamaru, who dominated most of everything with ease. Mike Jones at least had half the amount of his votes followed by Donbe & Hikari. The biggest flop would be Professor Hector since fans believe one Gyromite character (R.O.B.) is good enough.

Next is a another group of retro characters, one being a GB character and the other being someone believed to be deconfirmed because of Villager's Up Special. Your choices are Balloon Fighter, Foreman Spike, Muddy Mole, and Joy Mech Fight's Sukapon.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin!
Had to vote for Muddy Mole, the one character I suggested for the Smash ballot! :) Not going to kid myself into thinking there's any real hope of his inclusion, at least as a playable fighter, but maybe he'll show up as an assist trophy or something?

For the last poll, Donbe and Hikari could be pretty cool. I gave them my vote even though I've been wanting Takamaru for some time, just because I feel he already has some of the most decent chances of seeing the light of day as far as a retro character is concerned. He ended up on top in the end anyway, not surprising. Go go Takamaru!

HelloSpy

Smash Cadet
To give my insight, I believe Tails might appear in the next game. They've added Sonic, so why not Tails? Sure, it's SEGA's property, but they already got Sonic. Besides, you don't see him much in other games. Perhaps there is a reason? Chances are probably not, but I'd like to present the idea.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner of the last poll was the one and only Balloon Fighter. Muddy Mole managed to out do Sukapon in the end, with Foreman Spike as the stinker of the bunch.

Next up is yet another retro poll, with a Japan-only Assist Trophy character and a fan favorite biker. Your choices are Devil (Devil World), Prince Sable, Mach Rider, and Mini Kangaroo (the Kangaroo mascot of Nintendo’s Minigame Toys from the past).

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Where did rocket shoes come from? And what do Mario Kart items have to do with Toad more than any other character who appears in Mario Kart? Shouldn't a character's abilities for the most part have something to do with the character?

I remember someone saying Daisy could have a unique move set if you gave her the trampoline from Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games. Like what? What does that have to do with Daisy?

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Got an idea in regards to Ridley. Part of the issue is balance, right? Well what if balance for Ridley is thrown out the window? Make him the equivalent to Bowser in Mario Party 10. If he's overpowered, the competitive scene can just ban him. The issue of multiple Ridley's can be solved by a specific mode that makes him playable and only lets one player be him. If he doesn't comfortably fit on all stages, just restrict the stage list like 8 player smash does. Better for him to be partially playable than not at all, right? Except for those who'd want an all or nothing deal.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Got an idea in regards to Ridley. Part of the issue is balance, right? Well what if balance for Ridley is thrown out the window? Make him the equivalent to Bowser in Mario Party 10. If he's overpowered, the competitive scene can just ban him. The issue of multiple Ridley's can be solved by a specific mode that makes him playable and only lets one player be him. If he doesn't comfortably fit on all stages, just restrict the stage list like 8 player smash does. Better for him to be partially playable than not at all, right? Except for those who'd want an all or nothing deal.
That's just bad game design honestly. Making someone not only unbalanced, but intentionally unbalanced wouldn't fly well with the competitive scene.

And yes, tournaments could ban him, much like how some Brawl tournaments ban Meta Knight. That doesn't help at all.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
To give my insight, I believe Tails might appear in the next game. They've added Sonic, so why not Tails? Sure, it's SEGA's property, but they already got Sonic. Besides, you don't see him much in other games. Perhaps there is a reason? Chances are probably not, but I'd like to present the idea.
I'm a huge fan of Tails and want to see the whole Sonic trio in Smash.
But I would say he's very unlikely. The only SEGA character that has a high chance right now is Arle because of how successful Puyo Puyo has been and how much more requested she is compared to other characters.

HelloSpy

Smash Cadet
I dunno. Thats way to much for removal from being playable. When he's non-competitive, he'll wreck the scene. The only way I see Ridley in here is making it a baby Ridley.

I'm a huge fan of Tails and want to see the whole Sonic trio in Smash.
But I would say he's very unlikely. The only SEGA character that has a high chance right now is Arle because of how successful Puyo Puyo has been and how much more requested she is compared to other characters.
Yeah. I would agree it's unlikely. However, we can never be sure, so I just presented the idea.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
HelloSpy HelloSpy Please do not double post. Please edit your posts to quote more(or ask for a mod to merge it. Editing in a tag or quote does not give an alert to the user).

As for the Ridley idea, it feels kind of pointless. This works fine for a Boss Mode that one could play to use any boss character, but as a standalone character, it doesn't work well. The thing is, it just gives too much attention to one boss while ignoring the rest. Like, him having some kind of gimmick that stands out and isn't perfectly balanced might be fine, but it still needs to adhere to the basic platform fighter design(meaning he can be knocked off the platform and hit the blast zone). Things like super armor or more range could understandably be less of a big deal, if he's more like how Giga Bowser is(in Melee), just being able to be thrown/not immune to various things, and it might work fine. Even if still somewhat big. Obviously the character would probably be banned in tourneys, but making them available as a more regular character for all modes is a better way to make them available.

D

Deleted member

He was rejected once. Sakurai never actually thought of putting him in Brawl. It never crossed his mind. Smash 4 is literally the first time he officially rejected him at all.

It's possible he could get in, but I still don't think it's likely. Main reason is lacking a body that's easy to make workable in a balanced form. Not so much "too big" as "too lanky" in this case.

The comparisons overall are good and accurate anyway. Of course, that doesn't mean Ridley will get in. Likewise, there's Mewtwo who he wanted in Smash 64, but didn't get in till Melee. Another similar case was Bowser, in the same situation. Then King Dedede he wanted in Melee, but didn't become possible till Brawl. A lot of characters he rejects tends to get in the next game overall. Does this mean Ridley will get in? No, it does not. It just means he's aware of the fact that people want him and will look into it. We already saw his design in Smash 4 having him act far more like a Smash Character than a regular boss. With proper command throws, even Smash attacks. There's also the article which explains why he couldn't make the character playable(part of it was size-related, but people seem to misunderstand the point. It doesn't help that people just scream "too big" while ignoring that it's more the overall design being difficult to shrink down when it comes to various hitboxes and hurtboxes, especially with a long tail). It honestly seems like he tried to make him playable, but couldn't and gave him a unique stage role to compensate and use some of the moves programmed. He's not too clear on whether he actually tried to make him playable directly, or just rejected him due to the concept not being possible. Could go either way.
He did consider Ridley for Brawl, he just answered the question regarding Ridley not being playable in a way that appeared to be ambiguous. Then when he rejected him again, he seeked a better compromise which was Ridley a a boss in Pyrosphere and gave a clear and definitive reason why he's not playable.

Also, not that you said this yourself, but there is nothing indicating Ridley was ever planned to be playable, only why he made him a boss on Pyrosphere. As a matter of fact, take a look at this quote:
I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer,” Sakurai told IGN in an email interview. “It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”

Sakurai instead opted to include Ridley as a stage boss for Pyrosphere, a new arena debuting in Smash Wii U. “Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence,” Sakurai explained. “There are other icons, too, like Metal Face and the Yellow Devil, which help effectively portray each of their world settings. They go a long way toward deepening the game world, and I think it’s been fun to experiment with.”
The bolded shows the opposite, that Ridley was never planned to be playable and was always going to be a boss. Even trying to make Ridley playable as far as he is concerned, would have been a waste of time.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Where did rocket shoes come from? And what do Mario Kart items have to do with Toad more than any other character who appears in Mario Kart? Shouldn't a character's abilities for the most part have something to do with the character?

I remember someone saying Daisy could have a unique move set if you gave her the trampoline from Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games. Like what? What does that have to do with Daisy?
I'm more concerned about this guy thinking Mario & Sonic was a series that deserves representation in Smash.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He did consider Ridley for Brawl, he just answered the question regarding Ridley not being playable in a way that appeared to be ambiguous. Then when he rejected him again, he seeked a better compromise which was Ridley a a boss in Pyrosphere and gave a clear and definitive reason why he's not playable.
That doesn't really mean he rejected it for Brawl itself. That's taking it out of context. He was asked this after Brawl's release. It's just an afterthought. He didn't really reject the character for Brawl and all we know is that he was at one point going to be an Assist Trophy. I'm talking about being rejected for an actual game itself. Which so far, Ridley was solely rejected to be playable in 4, the only time he considered him for playable at all.

Also, not that you said this yourself, but there is nothing indicating Ridley was ever planned to be playable, only why he made him a boss on Pyrosphere. As a matter of fact, take a look at this quote:The bolded shows the opposite, that Ridley was never planned to be playable and was always going to be a boss. Even trying to make Ridley playable as far as he is concerned, would have been a waste of time.
Planned is the wrong term. But he clearly considered him for the first time to be playable during the development period overall. This is kind of important. The way he's designed is clearly the same style as Giga Bowser, who is similar to a playable character, but has boss qualities instead. Keep in mind Master Hand was the same way in Smash 64, having a fully mapped moveset to nearly every A, B, and Throw command. Obviously he only works right on Final Destination, which is coincidentally impossible to load in multiplayer. I don't need to explain the rest of the "bosses" in that game, as they're just reused versions of characters, with size or other specific differences respectively that make them different from a regular playable fighter.

Yeah, I really did word some of it wrong, heh. But it's clear he rejected him for playable status only once even then. He doesn't explain if Ridley was ever going to be playable in Brawl and gave zero indication he was even considered in it. His completely vague answer that barely answers anything feels more like an afterthought than really realizing what people were asking for. The constant laughter doesn't help. It means little in the longrun because it's an answer that doesn't give any real information. His second interview is still vague, though. It's quite possible he planned it at one point but decided against it. Think of Chrom for a second. He really wanted him in, and planned for him to be at one point, but that got cut short and the use of his model with gameplay implies some work was done on him. Ridley acting suspiciously like a regular fighter indicates there's a possibility they playtested him as a playable but scrapped the idea. We already know there's files for him in the Pyrosphere in the 3DS version, which means something was indeed scrapped. It doesn't mean he was planned. But it doesn't mean he wasn't planned either. We just know he took the balance factors into consideration in some way, and little else beyond what he said. An issue with Sakurai is he tends to be vague and give little information at times. He still has yet to explain why Wolf was cut. We don't know if he was ever planned. Considered, maybe, but the fact we had the Brawl files in the 3DS version means nothing, as that's just to save development time(we do know he cut IC's, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pokemon Trainer due to 3DS issues, but he also mentions balance played a role in separating transformation characters).

HelloSpy

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind Master Hand was the same way in Smash 64, having a fully mapped moveset to nearly every A, B, and Throw command. Obviously he only works right on Final Destination, which is coincidentally impossible to load in multiplayer.
I think the reason they aren't allowed in multiplayer is for two reasons:
  1. In For Fun, it has nothing going on, basically an omega stage.
  2. It was meant to be for Master Hand.
I think they allowed it in solo play if people thought the music and looks were interesting. He wouldn't be allowed as playable character because he isn't from any game (as I know of) and is the classic boss of Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Also, not that you said this yourself, but there is nothing indicating Ridley was ever planned to be playable, only why he made him a boss on Pyrosphere. As a matter of fact, take a look at this quote:The bolded shows the opposite, that Ridley was never planned to be playable and was always going to be a boss. Even trying to make Ridley playable as far as he is concerned, would have been a waste of time.
Off-Topic:
I honestly have to agree with Daddy Sakurai here. Ridley is better off a threatening boss type instead of a fighter. Ridley is too big, seeing it in the actual Metroid games and in Subspace it looks two in a half of Samus's size. Ridley would have been weird looking indeed, making him small just does not feel right. Sorry if I upset any Ridley supporters, I just wanted to point out my personal opinion. I am a Bandanna Dee supporter though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the reason they aren't allowed in multiplayer is for two reasons:
  1. In For Fun, it has nothing going on, basically an omega stage.
  2. It was meant to be for Master Hand.
I think they allowed it in solo play if people thought the music and looks were interesting. He wouldn't be allowed as playable character because he isn't from any game (as I know of) and is the classic boss of Smash Bros.
Master Hand is an OC of Smash, but also was based partially upon a Kirby Boss(Wham Bam Rock, if I remember right), and oddly enough got his own partner Hand in Melee and even used similar attacks. Then the Hand Bros. appeared in a later Kirby game too. Some bosses are loosely based upon Kirby enemies, generally OC's(though the Ridleys in Brawl had Kirby Boss moves too). Giga Bowser is pretty much one of the few blatant exceptions, though an OC still.

That said, true. Though the fact the stage returns with a more proper name and an updated design in later games was nice. Same rules for Melee, as Master Hand/Crazy Hand only work properly on that stage(they're playable via Debug Mode and other Action Replay cheats. Master Hand is however playable via a glitch).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

Toad is the fastest playable character in SMB2 and the Wii U game Super Mario World 3D. This is why I believe that Toad is one of the best characters to embody Mariokart, a game of speed. In Mario Double Dash, the Golden Mushroom is Toad's special item. An item that allows the driver to zoom ahead.

Toad also as an affinity for items. In Super Mario Brothers 3, the Toad Houses have chest with items. Toads usually are merchants in Mario rpg's.

Just like Rosalina used Mario Galaxy to draw from (co-op play and Mario abilities and Galaxy items such as Warp Star) and just as Bowser Jr. utilizes his affinity for machines in games for a pretty top-down design in Smash, I believe that Toad should be a speed character that draws from Mariokart and Mariokart items.

Last edited:

CCD23

Smash Cadet
Just something I wanted to toss into the Ridley discussion:

What if Pyrosphere is cut in the Switch version? This is something I can see easily happening. Nintendo is well aware of the dislike for Metroid Other M and since then we've had Samus Returns and an announced Metroid Prime 4. Instead of keeping a stage based on an older, disliked game, it would make more sense to replace it with a stage based on the newer Samus Returns or Metroid Prime 4. And if the Pyrosphere stage is cut, then obviously the stage hazard Ridley would be too as well. Then what role would Ridley have in Smash Bros.? Could this open the door a little bit more for Ridley?

Furthermore, it is rumored that Bandai Namco is helping develop Metroid Prime 4. They also helped develop Smash 4, and could very well be working on the new Smash Bros. as well. So there's that...

Finally, as I understand it, Sakurai is supposedly no longer going to direct or directly work on any more Smash games, but instead will go with a 'consulting' role. I can't say for sure, but I imagine he very well might be making less definitive decisions during the new Smash development. Which means he is less likely to "veto" a decision to include Ridley if it comes up, IF he still believes he shouldn't be a playable character... Unlike Villager.

Of course, this is speculation based mostly on rumors, but it seems to me that circumstances are lining up for Ridley to have a *believable* chance at being a playable character. But who knows? I'd love for Ridley to be a playable character, but we won't know for sure until the game is released or the roster is leaked. I'll be buying it either way, like I'm sure most of you will be too.

HelloSpy

Smash Cadet
Just something I wanted to toss into the Ridley discussion:

What if Pyrosphere is cut in the Switch version? This is something I can see easily happening. Nintendo is well aware of the dislike for Metroid Other M and since then we've had Samus Returns and an announced Metroid Prime 4. Instead of keeping a stage based on an older, disliked game, it would make more sense to replace it with a stage based on the newer Samus Returns or Metroid Prime 4. And if the Pyrosphere stage is cut, then obviously the stage hazard Ridley would be too as well. Then what role would Ridley have in Smash Bros.? Could this open the door a little bit more for Ridley?

Furthermore, it is rumored that Bandai Namco is helping develop Metroid Prime 4. They also helped develop Smash 4, and could very well be working on the new Smash Bros. as well. So there's that...

Finally, as I understand it, Sakurai is supposedly no longer going to direct or directly work on any more Smash games, but instead will go with a 'consulting' role. I can't say for sure, but I imagine he very well might be making less definitive decisions during the new Smash development. Which means he is less likely to "veto" a decision to include Ridley if it comes up, IF he still believes he shouldn't be a playable character... Unlike Villager.

Of course, this is speculation based mostly on rumors, but it seems to me that circumstances are lining up for Ridley to have a *believable* chance at being a playable character. But who knows? I'd love for Ridley to be a playable character, but we won't know for sure until the game is released or the roster is leaked. I'll be buying it either way, like I'm sure most of you will be too.
If they remove Pyrosphere, they could just, ya know, remove Ridley. They don't have to keep him. You don't need every villain in a smash game.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ridley is cloned, spliced and mechanized in his games.
Already hoops have been jumped through to bring in back from the dead.

A Ridley clone that is sized for Smash is acceptable to me.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Top 10 things I want to see change in the next Super Smash Bros.

1. Better Single-Player content - I used to think all that really mattered for me was the characters and Smash for Wii U's roster was amazing. But, I found myself getting bored with the game when all there really was to do was play CPU's in Smash mode. The so-called "Classic" mode, resembles nothing from previous games. It's a bunch of random matches, with a random amount of opponents, on a random stage, with random set ups or rules. It couldn't be more boring.

I'd like to see a Classic Mode that more so resembles the arcade style Single-Player Campaign in Super Smash Bros. 64, with character teams that make sense and hopefully special characters (like Metal Mario & Giant Donkey Kong). Also preferably an Adventure Mode. Melee or Brawl's would be fine. I wouldn't mind seeing an Adventure Mode like Melee with branching paths like Star Fox 64, allowing for all IPs and characters to be represented, but still make it short and replayable.

2. Better Unlockable Characters - Another problem with Smash for Wii U is that there were too many characters to start with and some of them felt less special than when you had to earn them. Like Luigi and Toon Link. Any character who shares a move with another character or is the same person should be unlockable.

3. More Obscure/Gem Characters - One of the reasons unlocking characters is so cool is that you start out with all the well known all-stars, but you can discover characters you've never heard of before. Characters like Ness & Captain Falcon or Marth & Roy. It's great to see the characters everyone wants, but it's also important to introduce characters that people don't realize they want. I'd like to see some Japan-Only unlockables like Takamaru and Ayumi Tachibana. I wouldn't even mind seeing Chibi-Robo just for the novelty of lesser characters being represented.

4. The Menu and Announcer from Super Smash Bros. Melee - I don't like the goofy announcers from Brawl and Wii U. I think most people would be comfortable with the announcer returning from Melee since that seems to be the most widely appreciated installment and he has a cool voice. A lot of people would like characters that didn't make it into Melee have their names spoken in his filtered voice.

5. Better representation of some characters - Some characters and IPs in Super Smash Bros are either represented inadequately or just not enough. Wario deserves to appear in the form that people love most, and his Wario Land games deserve representation too. It's an injustice that his shoulder ram isn't even a move. IPs should be less shy about referencing certain games in their series: Wario Land, EarthBound Beginnings, Recent Kirby games, Classic Sonic tracks, more Final Fantasy or Square RPGs, LESS PAC-LAND.

I'd especially love to see, at the very least, cameos or trophies from acknowledged Nintendo anime like "Pokemon" and "Kirby: Right Back At Ya!". A trophy of Ash or the N.M.E. Salesman would be amazing.

6. Characters and Stages made from scratch - One of the great things about Brawl is that every character felt like a newcomer. I don't wanna see enchanced models from the previous game like in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and I don't wanna see anymore past stages honestly.

7. More Clones - One of the great things about clones is that they take characters you know and love and provide a new experience. In my opinion, it's important for characters like Mario, Link, & Pikachu to also be represented in their other popular roles like Dr. Mario, Toon Link, & Pichu. Personally I'd like to see Dr. Mario, Pichu, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Donkey Kong Jr appear in the next game as the pure-clones.

8. Stages that provide a generalization of the series and don't change - Super Smash Bros. 64 did a good job of stages that encompassed multiple games throughout a series and had an established gimmick. I especially prefer stages that are midair like Peach's Castle, Dreamland, and Kongo Jungle. I'm SO tired of stages that constantly change like Delfino Plaza, Mario Circuit, Wuhu Island, Kalos Pokemon Leaque, Orbital Gate Assault, Pac-Land, Skyloft, you get the idea.

9. DLC for characters that wouldn't normally fit in the main roster - A lot of us have our favorite characters that just don't work. Ninten is too similar to Ness, Geno only appeared in one game, Toon Zelda is considerd excessive. It would be nice if DLC focused more on characters it couldn't normally give us from the start like those.

10. Something COMPLETELY New - I don't just want new character or stages. I want Nintendo to change the way I play Super Smash Bros. My personal opinion is that I'd like Sakurai to stay as the supervisor for the game's roster, but have someone else direct the rest of the game and see Nintendo's history through new eyes as well as what Nintendo characters can do in this game. ,

Last edited:

HelloSpy

Smash Cadet
Ridley is cloned, spliced and mechanized in his games.
Already hoops have been jumped through to bring in back from the dead.

A Ridley clone that is sized for Smash is acceptable to me.
Okay. I'm sorry that this is off-topic. But what in the actual h*ll is that pfp?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom