• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't expect anything until the end of NEXT month tbh.
I tend to be pessimistic about expectations, but I still think that's a bit late.

There's very likely gonna be a Direct in September for two reasons;
  1. They need to talk about the online service before it launches and a Direct is a great way to ensure that.
  2. Removing things like game-specific Directs, mini Directs and Nindie Showcases, there tends to be a Direct every three months or so. September lines up with that pattern perfectly.
With that said, since it'd be a typical Direct, I don't expect a bombshell directed (heh) primarily at the Smash fanbase like Geno or Isaac, but rather someone who's more known by the general audience like Skull Kid or a Gen 7 mon.

Heck, I don't expect much in terms of Smash info at all. They'd likely keep that for October or November since we had a Smash Direct just two weeks ago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I tend to be pessimistic about expectations, but I still think that's a bit late.

1. They need to talk about the online service before it launches and a Direct is a great way to ensure that.
  2. Removing things like game-specific Directs and mini Directs, there tends to be a Direct every three months or so. September lines up with that pattern.
With that said, since it'd be a typical Direct, I don't expect a bombshell directed (heh) primarily at the Smash fanbase like Geno or Isaac, but rather someone who's more known by the general audience like Skull Kid or a Gen 7 mon.

Heck, I don't expect much in terms of Smash info at all. They'd likely keep that for October or November since we had a Smash Direct just two weeks ago.
I think the only time they broke the Direct pattern was back in the first Smash Direct but that month also had a MK8 Direct.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn’t there a leak saying to keep an eye on some upcoming Pokémon tournament or presentation or something cause Incineroar would be revealed there?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

2. Removing things like game-specific Directs, mini Directs and Nindie Showcases, there tends to be a Direct every three months or so. September lines up with that pattern perfectly.

In the least, probably the early/middle of the month since we don't know the exact date of the Online service and it still needs to be announced.

Smash news should definitely be on there at some point. It would be a major reason to have the online service because I doubt Smash Online is free (Mario Kart probably won't be either)

Wasn’t there a leak saying to keep an eye on some upcoming Pokémon tournament or presentation or something cause Incineroar would be revealed there?
The pokemon championships happen this week too along with Gamescom, so we could get news from either. It would be a cool way to introduce the next pokemon newcomer if it exists.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
A character like Shulk was revealed in a Nintendo Direct, so who knows what type of character we'd get revealed next?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I wonder how long Smash Bros Ultimate will be supported with DLC.

Last time we had 3 returning veterans out of 7 and this time we've got them all in from the start. I wonder if additional Echos will pick up the slack.
I doubt we’ll get echoes as DLC - or at least not costing much. People won’t like to pay a lot for low-effort clones, even if they’re popular.

Besides, most people still stand by the “he can’t be a clone, he needs stat/move X!” argument that Daisy, Dark Samus, Chrom, Lucina... all had before they got in.
Honestly I kind of expect more DLC support, the Switch is still early in it's lifespan and Smash is going to be a moneymaker, especially if we get more Corrin style newcomers to promote new games
But oh do I hope we get loads of DLC. It’d be nice to get more third parties (everyone knows who I want) sinve then the purists can keep their game ‘uncontaminated.’

Really hope DLC lasts for a while here. It is the Ultimate Smash, after all...
Not counting the new mode, we don't know any info about what's in the Games and More section this time other than the reworked Classic Mode and Training Mode.
I bet there'll be another Smash Direct right before release like the one we had, and that’ll show off the Games and More and the ‘Spirits’ modes. And a number of character reveals.

It’d make sense to have a character reveal in a September general direct about the online service, but I can’t see a reveal in any specific ones.

D

Deleted member

Crazy Taboo Master Core which is super hars
The boss in Smash Bros. Wii U in Classic Mode 9.0 is definitely fifty times more difficult than Intense Mode Tabuu in Subspace Emissary in Brawl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
A character like Shulk was revealed in a Nintendo Direct, so who knows what type of character we'd get revealed next?
Smash Ultimate was revealed at a regular Nintendo direct (granted it was an E3 one) that revealed "Everyone is here",Inklings, and Ridley.

I think its pretty safe to say they can reveal anyone at the next direct if they wanted.

I doubt we’ll get echoes as DLC - or at least not costing much. People won’t like to pay a lot for low-effort clones, even if they’re popular.

Besides, most people still stand by the “he can’t be a clone, he needs stat/move X!” argument that Daisy, Dark Samus, Chrom, Lucina... all had before they got in.

But oh do I hope we get loads of DLC. It’d be nice to get more third parties (everyone knows who I want) sinve then the purists can keep their game ‘uncontaminated.’

Really hope DLC lasts for a while here. It is the Ultimate Smash, after all...

I bet there'll be another Smash Direct right before release like the one we had, and that’ll show off the Games and More and the ‘Spirits’ modes. And a number of character reveals.

It’d make sense to have a character reveal in a September general direct about the online service, but I can’t see a reveal in any specific ones.
I half expect new echoes to be bundled with new unique characters tbh. Like, "Buy this character and you get x echo with it! Or 2 echoes!" or whatever.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Sakurai manages to be a lot more unbiased than what people give him credit for, though I do believe part of it is due to input from his team. Considering all the "if I was the Smash director" comments I see in this site, I really don't think fans should touch the game's development.
This too. I really wouldn't trust the majority of the fanbase to make a balanced roster.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Smash Ultimate was revealed at a regular Nintendo direct (granted it was an E3 one) that revealed "Everyone is here",Inklings, and Ridley.

I think its pretty safe to say they can reveal anyone at the next direct if they wanted.
Smash Ultimate was actually revealed at the March Direct with that one teaser.

But it is true we never got any major info about it beyond its existence before E3. Though a Smash game getting a reveal at E3 is nothing new here; it happened for Smash 4, Brawl and even Melee, iirc.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On the topic of Pokken, a little bit of me is expecting more Pokken DLC.

I'm thinking it could be another Gen 7 Pokemon along with Greninja.

I half expect new echoes to be bundled with new unique characters tbh. Like, "Buy this character and you get x echo with it! Or 2 echoes!" or whatever.
You forgot someone
:ultdaisy:
Hey folks. Haven't been on in about a week? Any new leaks or speculation going on that I have missed?
Not too much, there was a Nindies showcase uploaded about three hours ago so there's that.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Im confident that Dixie Kong is a given for a Diddy echo, but I really hope Funky makes it in as a DK echo. His wrath shouldnt end with Mario Kart, or even Tropical Freeze. He needs to destroy Ultimates tier list next. Hopefully the DKCTFswitch announcement from Jauary (reffered to as the Funk Impact by historians) wasnt too late for Sakurai to consider Funky for an echo fighter.

Oh, and I hope Snake gets an echo. SoL Raiden, Big Boss, Boss, dont care who, jusy give me one of them please.
I'd love to have Funky, all they would have to do is put some clothes on the DK model, change the fur color, give em some "radical" cosmetic animations.

Still think The Boss is the best echo choice, but ill take any Metal Gear content I can get.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Lol please
Ayumi seems like both a good, and a bad choice.

Because Sakurai would probably do that.
but would Famicom Detective Club really get representation over a rhythm heaven character?
(Not that i hate the character or her series, but i find it VERY unlikely at this point.)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Making DLC echoes wouldn't sit down well with me. I get why they are doing them now to cut development time whilst giving us a decent amount of new faces, but the extra content project should be fully unique newcomers due to enough time to work on them.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
My list of predictions:
  • September: A regular Nintendo Direct
    • A gameplay snippet of Ultimate as they showcase online games for a Nintendo Online segment (which will most likely be just a Final Smash)
    • A newcomer trailer at the end of it. The character will be from a franchise that's still mainstream, like Zelda or Pokemon.
    • Maybe a tease to an upcoming Smash-based event similar to when they revealed Cloud back in 2015, but it's not a guarantee.
  • October: Smash Direct
    • Talks about the new modes, like "Spirits" and returning modes from past games.
    • Drops a few characters, if not the entre roster.
    • Brings up online play and how it'll work.
  • November: [number]-Fact Extravaganza
    • Covers things that wouldn't have fit in any of the previous Directs.
    • If there's still some characters left to announce, it's all coming out here.
    • Any modes left uncovered will be brought up.
    • Potential DLC tease a la Mewtwo?

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
My list of predictions:
    • A gameplay snippet of Ultimate as they showcase online games for a Nintendo Online segment (which will most likely be just a Final Smash)
    • A newcomer trailer at the end of it. The character will be from a franchise that's still mainstream, like Zelda or Pokemon.
    • Maybe a tease to an upcoming Smash-based event similar to when they revealed Cloud back in 2015, but it's not a guarantee.
    • Talks about the new modes, like "Spirits".
This is more or less what I predict but switch the October direct to a quick announcement like Robin & Lucina. I think we'll get at least one of these at some point.

Also I think there's a possibility we could get a surprise reveal the week of the game....but maybe not out of fear of the game being leaked early. In that case an all out November direct is 100% likely.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This is more or less what I predict but switch the October direct to a quick announcement like Robin & Lucina. I think we'll get at least one of these at some point.

Also I think there's a possibility we could get a surprise reveal the week of the game....but maybe not out of fear of the game being leaked early. In that case an all out November direct is 100% likely.
Come to think of it, yeah, not sure what else they can bring up for Ultimate after a third Direct (I count E3).

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
My list of predictions:
    • Talks about the new modes, like "Spirits" and returning modes from past games.
I have similar predictions, but i'm also predicting that a newcomer will be revealed in a Robin/Lucina type fashion in Late September-Early October & that the final newcomer will be revealed the week the game comes out.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I will make a guess.

September: Nintendo Direct, but no Smash news. Instead, they'll hint at more information "soon".
October: Smash Direct: Spirit mode, online modes, reveals, more past ATs/items shown nonchalantly
November: A last update on the game before launch: full roster revealed, single player modes, the whole lot.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
My list of predictions:
This is a good prediction. Adding fuel to the fire for Skull Kid would be funny to see if they showed off Young Link's FS in the September Direct.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't even trust this fanbase with a slice of cake
Am I supposed to eat this cake competitively or casually? What type of utensils are allowed in competitive? Do I choose the plate from a starter/counterpick system, or do I do FLiPS?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Am I supposed to eat this cake competitively or casually? What type of utensils are allowed in competitive? Do I choose the plate from a starter/counterpick system, or do I do FLiPS?
That'll be decided after the next splatfest

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I have similar predictions, but i'm also predicting that a newcomer will be revealed in a Robin/Lucina type fashion in Late September-Early October & that the final newcomer will be revealed the week the game comes out.
That's almost literally what I said and what I'm predicting XD

But I put some thought into it...Sakurai wants to reveal everything, especially the full roster, before release to prevent leaking (he hasn't confirmed it out right but he's spoken out about leakers multiple times so I think it's very clearly why). Waiting to the last week to reveal a final character *cough*probablysomeonelikeGeno*cough* would be really pushing it as Smash has always leaked a few weeks pre-release (was it just 1 with Brawl? I forget...).

So I'm not sold on that idea even though it would be reallllly cool.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I will make a guess.

September: Nintendo Direct, but no Smash news. Instead, they'll hint at more information "soon".
October: Smash Direct: Spirit mode, online modes, reveals, more past ATs/items shown nonchalantly
November: A last update on the game before launch: full roster revealed, single player modes, the whole lot.

Doubtful any Nintendo direct will go without Smash news at this point. It is their biggest game coming out this year (with little to nothing else important really releasing for Nintendo at the moment) with only 3.5 months left until it releases.

I'd honestly expect Smash news at any Nintendo related event that isn't specific to some other game.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'll be honest, I want there to be DLC Echoes. Faster, easier to produce means we'd get a lot more characters.
Honestly, we can say people wouldn't want to pay for clones...buuttt Roy and Lucas were DLC. Veterans, yes, but still essentially clones.

Make them cheaper, do bundle packs, and I bet people would love them..especially considering how many Echo Fighters people are hoping for anyway.

D

Deleted member

September: Either our new Pokemon or Isabelle
October: Skull Kid I'm gonna bet
November: mother****ing persona

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and predict the remaining characters. I'm going for a 5-5 situation:

Uniques:
-Incineroar
-Isaac
-Skull Kid
-Karate Joe
-Geno/Banjo

Echos:
-Isabelle
-Ken
-Shadow
-Dixie/Funky
-Impa/someone else