• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Pretty sure the only reason they made the knight red now is because they wanted that part of Castle Siege to be a lot darker and the black-clad knight wasn't really visible.

On the topic of Nindies there were a couple fun looking games. The only one that I really gotta get though is Baba is You because sheep are my favourite animal and a blessing on this earth. Plus I think puzzles are good.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Shovel Knight is literally the most popular videogame indie character, if he isn't playable, no one else is.
This tbh.

The mere fact that Shovel Knight managed to be an Assist Trophy to begin with is nothing short of mindboggling, given that he's a Western indie IP (aka the group of people we believed were the least likely to ever get anything in a Smash game), but while Shantae has been around for a long time, no indie game managed to be as notable as Shovel Knight in the gaming scene.

Shantae's only chance is DLC, and that's probably not gonna happen anyway. Sorry for crushing dreams, I guess.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
It never had a chance of happening. "We just had hope!" doesn't work when there's no reason to get your hopes up.

Except you DID expect something, otherwise you wouldn't be disappointed
While I never really believed it had any chance of happening, I still held onto hope. It's no different than what most people who like unpopular characters are doing right now, and when you're like me and haven't gotten a single desirable character in (except inkling who we all knew would be in) then you start holding onto hope. I'm gonna continue being this way until I either get completely shut down or finally achieve something.

Untouch

Smash Master
Do we know if nintendo is even doing something with smash at gamescom? They haven't announced anything yet afaik.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
While I never really believed it had any chance of happening, I still held onto hope. It's no different than what most people who like unpopular characters are doing right now, and when you're like me and haven't gotten a single desirable character in (except inkling who we all knew would be in) then you start holding onto hope. I'm gonna continue being this way until I either get completely shut down or finally achieve something.
It IS different though! "I hope they put this character in Smash bros even if lots of people don't seem to like the idea" is reasonable, because it's got a clear reasoning on why to hope for it, you hope a character gets in a game with characters, that makes sense, "I hope this thing that's exclusively about X shows us something about Y" isn't sensible, it's foolish, it just raises your hopes only to dash them again. Hell, people hoping for a Smash announcement at Gamescon also makes sense cause of the context even if Nintendo may not really fit in with said context much.
Do we know if nintendo is even doing something with smash at gamescom? They haven't announced anything yet afaik.
Well there's going to be a demo, which is likely the E3 build

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
It IS different though! "I hope they put this character in Smash bros even if lots of people don't seem to like the idea" is reasonable, because it's got a clear reasoning on why to hope for it, you hope a character gets in a game with characters, that makes sense, "I hope this thing that's exclusively about X shows us something about Y" isn't sensible, it's foolish, it just raises your hopes only to dash them again. Hell, people hoping for a Smash announcement at Gamescon also makes sense cause of the context even if Nintendo may not really fit in with said context much.

Well there's going to be a demo, which is likely the E3 build
It really wasn't all that foolish and all just theoretical fun speculation until they just dropped it with no build up whatsoever. When they did that they really eliminated all chances of it having any implications later on. I wonder what that little message at the end is about though? We haven't heard anything about King of Cards in forever so maybe it's something to do with that.

D

Deleted member

Dude, don't make fun of people for their aspirations. Just because we had an idea and it had a low chance of happening doesn't mean you can mock us for having hope.
I can and I will when people have been doing "character from X game is going to be revealed in the X-specific Direct" ever simce Smash 4 and still haven't learned their lesson. You shouldn't have expected anything yet you did and now blame ithers for your disappointment.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Hell, people hoping for a Smash announcement at Gamescon also makes sense cause of the context even if Nintendo may not really fit in with said context much.
Didn’t they reveal an ARMS character last year? I could see them maybe revealing a fighter or even an echo

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I can and I will when people have been doing "character from X game is going to be revealed in the X-specific Direct" ever simce Smash 4 and still haven't learned their lesson. You shouldn't have expected anything yet you did and now blame ithers for your disappointment.
Remember when people expected Smash news on that Direct about Pocket Camp? :^)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder how long Smash Bros Ultimate will be supported with DLC.

Last time we had 3 returning veterans out of 7 and this time we've got them all in from the start. I wonder if additional Echos will pick up the slack.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I honestly don't expect any more Smash news until next month at the very earliest.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wonder how long Smash Bros Ultimate will be supported with DLC.

Last time we had 3 returning veterans out of 7 and this time we've got them all in from the start. I wonder if additional Echos will pick up the slack.
Honestly I kind of expect more DLC support, the Switch is still early in it's lifespan and Smash is going to be a moneymaker, especially if we get more Corrin style newcomers to promote new games

D

Deleted member

I still feel like these Smash news are way too fresh, we only have a new mode and some small number of newcomers to see, I don't think we'll get anything for a while. The Direct was just 12 days ago.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Not counting the new mode, we don't know any info about what's in the Games and More section this time other than the reworked Classic Mode and Training Mode.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Speaking of Hyrule Warriors, it shows how much being a fan of what you’re working with can affect the project. Apparently the team behind Hyrule Warriors were all pretty huge Zelda fans, so there’s love crammed into every single inch of that game. Skull Kid was added to that game because the devs themselves wanted to play as him and pretty much no other reason.

I hope that when Smash inevitably moves on with different names at the helm, they find people who are as big of fans of Nintendo as possible. Can you imagine if every series got the diversity and attention that Kirby does in stages, music, etc.?

Not to put out any ill will for lack of that in other series. Sakurai created Kirby so naturally he’d know all the best things to add for it (even if they’re all from his own games in the series, lol), versus something like Metroid or DK. Even then, the guy clearly did his research for Ridley and K. Rool, so I have to give credit where credit is due.

Basically what I’m saying is that I hope the next Smash team just loves Nintendo and all of its properties. Love is an extremely important ingredient in a great video game and it really shows with games like Hyrule Warriors and Ultimate.
I completely agree with this. It's not like he's disrespecting those series, but it's obvious which series he's personally not that big on. Metroid as you say, being the Prime example with the Samus only until ultimate and the amount of lava/acid Stages.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not counting the new mode, we don't know any info about what's in the Games and More section this time other than the reworked Classic Mode and Training Mode.
Honestly I'm curious what we'll see at the end of Classic Mode, in 64 we got Master Hand, Melee gave us Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser, we got Tabuu for Subspace in Brawl and 4 gave us Master Core and Master Fortress

D

Deleted member

Sakurai manages to be a lot more unbiased than what people give him credit for, though I do believe part of it is due to input from his team. Considering all the "if I was the Smash director" comments I see in this site, I really don't think fans should touch the game's development.
Honestly I'm curious what we'll see at the end of Classic Mode, in 64 we got Master Hand, Melee gave us Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser, we got Tabuu for Subspace in Brawl and 4 gave us Master Core and Master Fortress
Crazy Taboo Master Core which is super hars

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
People saying that we would get info on Smash the same month we got a smash focused direct. smh.

Again, expect Smash news as early as September.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Im confident that Dixie Kong is a given for a Diddy echo, but I really hope Funky makes it in as a DK echo. His wrath shouldnt end with Mario Kart, or even Tropical Freeze. He needs to destroy Ultimates tier list next. Hopefully the DKCTFswitch announcement from Jauary (reffered to as the Funk Impact by historians) wasnt too late for Sakurai to consider Funky for an echo fighter.

Oh, and I hope Snake gets an echo. SoL Raiden, Big Boss, Boss, dont care who, jusy give me one of them please.

D

Deleted member

People saying that we would get info on Smash the same month we got a smash focused direct. smh.

It took almost two months after Smash 4's direct for a new character reveal.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
True but they didn't really do anything prior. Same with EVO, lots of people expected something because every fighting game present has at least 1 new announcement even if Nintendo never did that.
...but EVO where was the Smash Direct was announced. I don't really get your analogy lol.

Gamescom is probably too soon for Smash news, but I also didn't expect anything at EVO so eh.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
...but EVO where was the Smash Direct was announced. I don't really get your analogy lol.

Gamescom is probably too soon for Smash news, but I also didn't expect anything at EVO so eh.
I know. However, Nintendo NEVER had EVO announcements before which is why people doubted it, but people had hope as everyone else did and Smash is their big 2018 game

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It seems that this holiday season, Nintendo's putting all their eggs in the Smash Bros and Pokemon Let's Go baskets while other games like Metroid Prime 4 and for-the-love-of-mike-will-you-make-a-proper-Animal-Crossing-game-already?! are being worked on.

We could end up getting a few Directs on Smash alone to keep up the media presence.

D

Deleted member

I don't think it's fair to compare Smash 4's pre-release to Ultimate. We went six months without a single newcomer after E3, reveals only picked up at that point where they became bimonthly and that's because they had plenty of time to spare.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

I'm predicting a general direct in September to tie in with the paid online. I think the Smash content in the direct will be talking about its online features and there will be one new echo (Probably Dixie) and one new fighter (Probably Incineroar) revealed.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Why does it even matter if Black Knight is an echo fighter? It’s not like he is taking another characters spot lol
Well if he were to be an echo before Lyn or Celica were playable...dededepresion

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't think it's fair to compare Smash 4's pre-release to Ultimate. We went six months without a single newcomer after E3, reveals only picked up at that point where they became bimonthly and that's because they had plenty of time to spare.
Not to mention Ultimate wasn't even announced at an E3, but rather a regular Direct in March.

The mere fact that they dropped an E3-tier bombshell three months before E3 should make it obvious that this game's hype train was never the usual one.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Sorry, I wasn't trying to correct you, I meant that more as addition to what you were saying there.
It's fine. I was just trying to elaborate on what i was saying.

We can at least agree that waiting till December is definitely not in the cards. Too long, and perhaps they want to maintain the hype with "consistent" updates of the game and it's content.

I use the word "consistent" very loosely.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Not to mention Ultimate wasn't even announced at an E3, but rather a regular Direct in March.

The mere fact that they dropped an E3-tier bombshell three months before E3 should make it obvious that this game's hype train was never the usual one.
Tbf, it was officially revealed during E3. The only thing we got in march was an announcement.

The next Nintendo direct should have more smash info. They probably get that much more views just for Smash, and with this being the only Nintendo can give Smash news (the next 3.5 months before there is none for years), the next Direct should at least have 1 or 2 important announcements related to smash.

Who knows, it could be another 20 minute segment too, but I don't expect it until this time NEXT month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom