• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Hazard switch is going to make some stages really weird.

Like I feel like Mario Bros. will, honestly, become even more unplayable without the giant hazards to throw that have the correct KB angle to avoid the caves of life.

And 75m will be unholy amounts of campy that rivals Temple.

But I have no idea what hazardless Hanenbow could look like given that moving platforms seem to be considered hazards.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The hazards switch will probably prevent Castle Siege from transforming, as far as I'm aware in the E3 demo it prevented stages from transforming, such as preventing Frigate from flipping.
That's a different type of hazard, I think. We need to see if Paper Mario with Hazards off doesn't transition to see if it'll also affect Siege.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I have a wierd thought.... what if there was a newcomer that's just a original "made-for-smash" character? Not from like Subspace or anything, but like a brand new character made specifically for the game...

Even then, what would they look like?
I'm not sure, the closet thing I could think of a character is when we the player destroy Master Hand/Core, and the darkness spilled out of it, the darkness resonated with the players essence which gave birth to it conscious. I guess this character would be either a black silhouette with a wispy dark aura, or the opposite a white silhouette with a golden aura.

You would play as them as they embark on a existential quest of self discovery by defeating Smash characters. At the end you'll get an ambiguous ending and your free to play as the character who you have complete freedom to customize, even more than the Miis. You can choose between a boy or a girl, the height, you can keep them as silhouette, or buy or unlock aesthetics to change there appearance to cartoon like, anime like, or realistic like. You can equip them with different weapons, and abilities to base their entire moveset on: bow and arrows, swords (of different types) daggers magic guns, hammers, magic, ect, you can even equip them with items if you want.

Lastly like Soul Calibur, you can give them the moveset of a character in the games like a Soul of Kirby would give them Kirby's body and moves, Soul of Fox would just give you his moveset while keeping your body. The Soul... or maybe... Spirit of Sheik would give you her moveset...

If that's what Spirits could be, I'd be happy.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I highly doubt we've seen every stage. Why call it Mute City SNES is it's the only Mute City? And if we have, I expect pretty much every missing stage besides Miiverse Pyrosphere and vertical stages to be DLC.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I wish more characters got unique victory themes

In Smash 4, we had

-Bowser, BJ, and the Koopalings

-Meta Knight

-Dark Pit

Do we know if these characters have their unique victory themes back?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I miss Mute City from Melee. I remember trying to destroy all the vehicles with the hammer with my bros.
Mute City was the one stage I was shocked they didn't bring back. They even named Mute City 3DS "Mute City SNES" to imply it isn't the only Mute City.

I would have loved to see that wonderful stage in HD and played on it. It was always one of my favorite stages. Same thing with PokéFloats. Both were very popular stages in casual events and casual games.

Also I miss Rainbow Road. It was my favorite stage on Smash 3DS, above even the wonderful Prism Tower. Like why out of all the Smash 3DS stages were Pac-Maze and Rainbow Road cut? They were 2 of the most unique ones.

Also still confused as to why Woolly World and Orbital Gate Assault were cut. Both were pretty popular stages. Also confused how we can get PictoChat 2 from Smash 3DS back but not PictoChat 1 from Brawl.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
After talking to a ton of people and thinking about things I tried to make a realistic roster of possible echoes for smash ultimate. Aka the most realistic choics for echo fighters. Included ones already confirmed for the sake of consistency This is the result.
I think these are THE most likely echoes that will get in. I firmly believe at least a few of these will make it in the final roster. Tried to think of realistic choices that haven't been deconfirmed yet.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Also still confused as to why Woolly World and Orbital Gate Assault were cut. Both were pretty popular stages. Also confused how we can get PictoChat 2 from Smash 3DS back but not PictoChat 1 from Brawl.
Didn't Orbital Gate Assault take a year to make? It'd odd they'd just cut it out like that.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Mute City was the one stage I was shocked they didn't bring back. They even named Mute City 3DS "Mute City SNES" to imply it isn't the only Mute City.

I would have loved to see that wonderful stage in HD and played on it. It was always one of my favorite stages. Same thing with PokéFloats. Both were very popular stages in casual events and casual games.

Also I miss Rainbow Road. It was my favorite stage on Smash 3DS, above even the wonderful Prism Tower. Like why out of all the Smash 3DS stages were Pac-Maze and Rainbow Road cut? They were 2 of the most unique ones.

Orbital Gate Assault is an easily explainable cut: It took an entire year to develop in Smash 4 and it's clear that they're remaking every stage from scratch for Ultimate. It's not popular enough to justify the ridiculous amount of effort it'd take to remake, and I assume they wouldn't want to port it.

Pictochat 1 should've been combined with 2 for Pictochat X.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Orbital Gate Assault is an easily explainable cut: It took an entire year to develop in Smash 4 and it's clear that they're remaking every stage from scratch for Ultimate. It's not popular enough to justify the ridiculous amount of effort it'd take to remake, and I assume they wouldn't want to port it.

Oh, if they're remaking the stages from scratch, then I'd understand the lack of Orbital Gate Asssault.

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
Interesting thing to note here is the list of all the scrap characters in all the smash games (is in/unsure/is not in)

Smash 64
Bowser
King dedede
Mewtwo
Marth

Melee
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Banjo and Kazooie
James Bond
Ayumi Tachibana
Lucas
Solid Snake
Sonic
Wario

Balloon Fighter
the player character from Urban Champion
Bubbles
Excitebiker

Brawl
Dixie Kong
Dr. Mario
Roy
Mewtwo

toon zelda/Toon Sheik?
Pac-Man
Villager

Geno
Mii
Blastoise
Krystal
Plusle and Minun

Smash4
Ice Climbers
Rhythm Heaven character
Takamaru
Chrom
Heihachi Mishima

so ya all scrap smash 64 characters are here
also my god melee had alot of scrap character and smash 4 didnt have much

did any of the unsure got deco?

Shroob

Sup?
Watching a Youtube video for 'obvious echoes'

Someone suggests Poochie and a Goonie for Duck Hunt.

Is this secretly Zinith?

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

In Smash 4, we had

-Meta Knight

-Dark Pit

One of my biggest wants for Smash was for every character to get unique victory themes independent of their series, as the unused victory themes in Brawl suggested was planned, really disappointed it still hasn't happen. I'm especially disappointed that Ganondorf still doesn't have one, when he has an established theme that could be used as the basis for one and the normal Zelda victory music is completely unfitting for him.

As for your question, Bowser still has his and there's no reason why Koopalings, MK, and Dark Pit won't keep theirs since it's very simple to port the music over.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No joke Poochie is objectively the best choice for a second Yoshi representative if we ever get one. Love that little ******.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
After talking to a ton of people and thinking about things I tried to make a realistic roster of possible echoes for smash ultimate. Aka the most realistic choics for echo fighters. Included ones already confirmed for the sake of consistency This is the result.
I think these are THE most likely echoes that will get in. I firmly believe at least a few of these will make it in the final roster. Tried to think of realistic choices that haven't been deconfirmed yet.

I can definitely see all of those happening.
Also that Mahiru is fantastic and you have good taste.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
If they're really going for a heroes vs villains/rivals thing, Medusa as a Palutena echo makes a lot of sense. I don't think anyone would be upset over that. Would they?

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice

In Smash 4, we had

-Meta Knight

-Dark Pit

Pretty sure Bowser does in the demo. Ganondorf unfortunately does not (It's possible they could change in the full game but since Bowser's new victory WAS in smash 4 demos, I wouldn't count on it). Ridley (and likely Dark Samus) have a rock version of the Metroid Victory. If I had to guess, K. Rool will either have the Bonus Room Failed theme or a rock version of the DKC Victory, and Wolf will either have the first few notes of Star Wolf theme or rock ver of Star Fox victory. As for speculated fighters? Geno would likely have the first few notes of the Super Mario RPG battle won, and have the whole thing like Cloud. Black Knight might have Rock FE (or something else I barely know FE tbh), Skull Kid MAYBE rock Zelda but since Ganon doesn't I doubt. As for anyone else being majorly speculated, new series would obviously have new victories, but anyone else I doubt. I'd love to have each char have a unique victory but it seems unlikely. Maybe next smash.

Shroob

Sup?
If they're really going for a heroes vs villains/rivals thing, Medusa as a Palutena echo makes a lot of sense. I don't think anyone would be upset over that. Would they?
"ANOTHER Kid Icarus character who's an ECHO?!"

I think Kid Icarus is right behind Fire Emblem on the Smash fanbase's hate wagon.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

I want Big Boss more than anything, but I think there's a very real change the Metal Gear Echo Fighter (if there is one) is Raiden.

Big Boss would be my most hyped Echo Fighter though, above even my boy Ken. Would be glad to be wrong though! :)

I don't think Castle Siege has hazards. I think Smash needs to define what a hazard specifically is.
I'm pretty sure if something in the stage can kill you it's a hazard. At least that's what most people agree on (from what i've seen here).

I.e. the moving platforms in Smashville, not that dangerous but could kill you if you stay on it and get carried to the blast zone so... that's a hazard.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Didn't Orbital Gate Assault take a year to make? It'd odd they'd just cut it out like that.
I get the feeling Orbital Gate Assault, Mute City, Rainbow Road, and maybe like Pac-Maze/PokéFloats/Icicle Mountain will wind up as DLC. Those stages are just too popular/iconic to cut IMO, and they could make good money off them (honestly after all the crap in this game, no one should complain about DLC pricing LOL).

I also find it funny the new DK stages in Brawl and Smash 4 aren't in Ultimate, and the only DK stages we have in Ultimate are the 3 from 64 and Melee. Especially sucks because Jungle Hijinxs is based on DKC Returns too.

Would be sickkkkk if we got a DKC Tropical Freeze stage in Ultimate. We're long overdue for one IMO. Tropical Freeze is such a fantastic platformer.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I get the feeling Orbital Gate Assault, Mute City, Rainbow Road, and maybe like Pac-Maze/PokéFloats/Icicle Mountain will wind up as DLC. Those stages are just too popular/iconic to cut IMO, and they could make good money off them (honestly after all the crap in this game, no one should complain about DLC pricing LOL).
Pac-Maze is the super confusing one to me. That stage *IS* Pac-Man.
Why would they bring over Pac-Land to represent Pac-Man and not Pac-Maze?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

They didn't design everything from scratch with Smash Wii U sdtages, but definitely making the mechanics from scratch for such a complex stage would be required for obvious reasons (whereas for other stages it would not/would be a lot less of an issue).

Would still be sick to see as DLC. It was a cool stage despite its' many flaws, which I think is reasonably likely. I enjoyed playing on it the dozen or so times I played on it casually.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Don't know if I would call Orbital Gate popular, most people I see absolutely loathe the stage and think it's one of the least playable stages in the series. The main reason it probably got cut though is that it was such a developmentally and system intensive stage; according to Sakurai the stage took over a year to make, and that stage has so many assets while having so much **** going on. It was probably the most difficult/time-consuming Wii U stage to port over and touchup while getting it to work nicely with 8-player Smash and Stage Morph, factor that in with the unpopularity and I can see why it was one of the least prioritized stages to bring back.

Last edited:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
I love that the Mushroomy Kingdom stage's textures now look more like the original Super Mario Bros. game instead of... whatever they were trying to be in Brawl & 3DS

SSBU-Mushroomy_Kingdom.png

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm pretty sure if something in the stage can kill you it's a hazard. At least that's what most people agree on (from what i've seen here).

I.e. the moving platforms in Smashville, not that dangerous but could kill you if you stay on it and get carried to the blast zone so... that's a hazard.
Yeesh.

Now people are gonna ask that you can permanently set hazards on specific stages.

I love that the Mushroomy Kingdom stage's textures now look more like the original Super Mario Bros. game instead of... whatever they were trying to be in Brawl & 3DS

View attachment 158786
That still looks nothing like SMB though. It looks like what would happen if the Mushroom Kingdom got nuked and you visited it.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
having to pay for these old stages would be such a scam.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I gotta admit.

I think people saying that the Black Knight could be an Ike echo are crazy.

MainJPW

M.T.A

What if the reason we haven’t seen Melee Mute City is because it’s getting a makeover?

Great, I’m already disappointed at the inevitability of this not happening.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why? They are getting HD textures and remade from scratch. We already paid for past stages as DLC in Smash 4 anyways, and that was cool (because those stages were cool!).

Plus this game is already an insane value. This game costs like 80 cents per playable character, 60 cents per playable stage, and like 8 cents per song lol.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The thing that would be tricky about Medusa as a Palutena echo would be the wings and shields. However, as with Daisy, they've shown that they're willing to take creative liberties to make them work. I could easily imagine them giving Medusa glowing black wings to copy Palutena's smash attacks and maybe trading out her Bair and Dash Attack for something else. But then again, those two moves are the best reason to play Palutena, imo, so maybe they ought to just give her a shield as well.
I gotta admit.

I think people saying that the Black Knight could be an Ike echo are crazy.
Care to explain your reasoning?

I personally think it's unlikely but not impossible.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
We had to pay for some stages in SSB4 though (Dream Land 64, Peach's Castle 64, Hyrule Castle 64, Pirate Ship & Super Mario Maker were the ones as I recall. Not counting stages bundled with newcomers of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom