• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
People think the 10 PM Bomb Blush Rush leak is discounted because the guy posted that he's fake doesn't know that random people started impersonating him by copying 4chan's tripcode, it's almost certainly fake but I wouldn't call it dead 100% definitively yet - it seemed a bunch of random people just started spouting off nonsense with the same tripcode.

Granted, that list would make almost everyone happy.
Oh? well i guess i will amuse myself a bit longer and wait to see if such video's title actually changes. I'm not expecting anything since the beginning anyway.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sorry. "Small" leak.
A "tinkle" if you will.

That make you feel better?
Tinkle Tinkle Hulu Impa!
---
If we're on the topic of Echo fighters. I have a question.

I suggested Tetra as a Toon Link echo the other day, and I was thinking...

I mistakenly said that Tetra would have to lose the Bow, when what she would actually have to lose is the Boomerang. With this in mind, what would she have in it's place?

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Tinkle Tinkle Hulu Impa!
---
If we're on the topic of Echo fighters. I have a question.

I suggested Tetra as a Toon Link echo the other day, and I was thinking...

I mistakenly said that Tetra would have to lose the Bow, when what she would actually have to lose is the Boomerang. With this in mind, what would she have in it's place?
Can't she just use a normal boomerang?

A cannon.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
So it's delusional to think a character who almost exclusively use a spear to only have 1 attack with a spear and then turn unto ****ing stone? Does auntie Gwen need to show you a dictionary?
Sakurai said he couldn't think of a way to implement Chrom other than a mix of Ike and Marth. And hey, what do you know, that's what he did for Roy. And remind me, who is Chrom based off of in Smash?

This is ****ing ridiculous. I suppose if I put jam on a brick I can use it to travel through time too
Daisy and especially Dark Samus do nothing that they do in Ultimate, yet here they are. You think a less popular character like Bandana Dee can't be an Echo of Kirby, who has the same body type as him because he uses a spear? This is the exact same argument as saying Shadow can't be an echo because he has Chaos powers and guns.

D

Deleted member 269706

Might be a bit behind everyone else on this one, but I really like what I'm hearing about how Nintendo is reworking certain aspects of the game.

tl;dr:
  • grabs are nerfed with more endlag (excluding fighters with tether grabs) Sheiks FAF on grab is now 37, previously 28
  • spotdodges buffed (generally earlier FAF, Fox's on frame 19, previously 25)
  • backrolls nerfed; higher FAF and fewer invincibility frames
  • forward rolls largely unaffected
I think one of the biggest problems that Smash4 had was just how grab-heavy the meta was. (Oddly enough it was Bayonetta and Cloud who really challenged this). Grabs seemed to be some of the most powerful options across the board, and relatively low risk at the same time. From combo starters to kill set-ups, grabs were damn good. Now what's happening in Ultimate is 1) grabs are a higher risk option. Missing the grab is even more likely to result in being punished, and it was never difficult to punish in smash4. 2) the reward is generally lower. As reported by several players, there seem to be many less combo starters from grabs. It's less likely we'll see things like the hoo-hah as the balloon knockback will make fighters harder to catch at high percents. Moreover, kill throws aren't nearly as potent as they were in smash4. This is indicated primarily through Ness and his backthrow.

Second point I wanted to make is that particular defensive options are still very good (shield and spotdodge), but the evasive options are the ones that are taking a hit (directional airdodge, backroll). This entails that taking the aggressive option (even when in a defensive position) is encouraged. Back-roll is looking to be the worst option in several scenarios, as it not only takes the most time, but also leaves you the most open (and this is before any added lag is taken into account). Whereas remaining close to the opponent and spotdodging gives you the most time to see out a proper punish. No more grab > spotdodge > grab shenanigans.

Despite this game looking even less combo oriented than Smash4, which wasn't anything to marvel at in that respect, it seems that being in the advantage state means much more than it previously did. Much as severely aggressive players have been punished in smash4, now the severely defensive players will be as well. I believe this game will allow for many more dynamic play-styles and force more creativity from the players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If you want to know more about Ganon Canon, ask Viridi. (:ultbayonetta:)

I mean, sure, Tetra can just use a Boomerang. >_>

(How about K. Rool's Blunderbuss?)
Well I think my point with that was the fact there's nothing really stopping her from using a boomerang...

A smaller blunderbuss without the sucky part.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Daisy and especially Dark Samus do nothing that they do in Ultimate, yet here they are. You think a less popular character like Bandana Dee can't be an Echo of Kirby, who has the same body type as him because he uses a spear? This is the exact same argument as saying Shadow can't be an echo because he has Chaos powers and guns.
Someone as popular and requested as Bandana Dee being reduced to an echo seems very unlikely and prone to **** many people off.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
User was warned for this post
Daisy literally DOES nothing and HAS nothing going for her, Daisy has ALWAYS just been Yellow Brunette Peach. Dark Samus absorbed Samus' Phazon Suit, which had the data for all that ****. Sure, I'm a little disappointed Dark Samus doesn't at least do a scattershot attack, but it works and has a justification. Shadow potentially being an Echo is said because he and Sonic are able to do the same things in many games. Again, HAVING A CHARACTER WHO'S ENTIRE ****ING GIMMICK IS 'SPEAR' AND HAVING THEM DO LITERALLY ANYTHING BUT SPEAR FOR ALMOST ALL THEIR MOVES IS RIDICULOUS. I'm getting a ****ing aneurysm of the stupidity of all of you who think this sounds like a thing that could happen. What the **** was in that leak to make you want it so bad you'd be willing to act like a complete idiot?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Vergeben was always upfront about lacking confidence in Incineroar because he lacked corroboration on him and deliberately avoided releasing the name of Incineroar to keep it from spreading when he was unsure of it, while Incineroar's name only came out because Loz leaked their PM where Vergeben was checking to see if he heard anything about Incineroar. Vergeben was never going around saying "I think Incineroar could be in Smash!", and with the Smash info he has claimed, he always been all in on it; he repeatedly doubled down on Ridley, no cuts, Snake, and Belmont, and confidently stated Isabelle is in and any roster leak without her was false. Of all things to criticize Vergeben for, it certainly isn't because he pussyfoots around with his Smash information.
I'll be honest, I want it to be wrong simply because Silvally or Decidueye would be infinitely better picks, even though Verg also is super adamant it's not Decidueye (he was confident about that)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Reminder about Ganondorf:
Pictured above, a Gerudo Pugilist Warlock about to smash some dumb elf boy's face in. This was really all they had for Ganondorf at the time. He didn't use a sword in OoT. He used his fists and magic. Both are present, just because he doesn't have a projectile magic attack doesn't make him inaccurate, he's using his magic to augment his abilities as a Pugilist.

Daisy and especially Dark Samus do nothing that they do in Ultimate, yet here they are.
Dark Samus is literally Metroid Prime in the form of Samus based off of it's fight with her, it has the same exact abilities as her. Dark Samus has displayed usage of missiles, the charge beam, a shinespark/screwattack and the morph ball among many of Samus' abilities.

This is the exact same argument as saying Shadow can't be an echo because he has Chaos powers and guns.
Shadow has Sonic's abilities and then some. Shadow can be his own thing entirely but making him an Echo of Sonic isn't entirely inaccurate either.
The same can't be said for Bandanna Dee. It lacks a copy ability. It lacks a Hammer type attack. It lacks the ability to do most of Kirby's stuff. It just has it's spear. It quite literally can't be an echo when it lacks some of Kirby's fundamentals.

TailsTheAssassin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4398 2362 0516
Alright.... been about a week since I've been on here. Any news? Other than the leak for Bomb Rush Blush

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'll be honest, I want it to be wrong simply because Silvally or Decidueye would be infinitely better picks, even though Verg also is super adamant it's not Decidueye (he was confident about that)
I've always thought it was weird having quadrupedal fighters. I know we have Ivysaur, but I just don't see quadrupedal fighters like Silvally or Lycanroc working well in Smash

D

Deleted member

I feel like the August direct helped Geno's odds very much, as it is shown to be mostly fanservice instead of relevancy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Was it really hard to decipher that the music was Bomb Rush Blush? It's not an entirely original track, is it? If it isn't why is it so important that he guessed a preexisting OST that most people should've already known just by listening to it?
1498694928615.png

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Alright.... been about a week since I've been on here. Any news? Other than the leak for Bomb Rush Blush
Well Chrom's Final Smash got named as Awakening Aether, gender debates were had about Dark Samus and apparently Rolls and grabs (besides tethers) have been nerfed

Iridium

Smash Hero

Not sure if this has been shown here already, but I'll let you all make your choices first.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I completely agree, and I'll throw in an argument that I used back in the days of Smash 4 speculation as well. There's always characters that Sakurai and the team wanted to add but couldn't quite make the cut. Sometimes they even get cut partway through development and traces of their existence is left in the code. DLC is the perfect remedy for this. Rather then cut out the potential character completely, they can finish it after they're done with the base game and sell it as DLC. I have a really strong hunch that's what happened with Mewtwo in Smash 4.

Also, welcome to the boards!
Well Sakurai said that Mewtwo wasn't possible for the base game. He also thought about Mewtwo back in 2013.
Sources:https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34700/sakurai-considering-mewtwo-for-next-smash-bros-games

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Not sure if this has been shown here already, but I'll let you all make your choices first.
Well let's see...

Eevee and Gardevoir for 5 leaving 10
Shantae for 4 leaving 6
Dixie for 3 leaving 3
and finishing off, Octoling and Birdo for the full 15.

Definitely a biased roster but hey. That's how the game goes.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Was it really hard to decipher that the music was Bomb Rush Blush? It's not an entirely original track, is it? If it isn't why is it so important that he guessed a preexisting OST that most people should've already known just by listening to it?
View attachment 158434
The leaker was going to change two letters around to prove they were real, he posted the link to that specific video, so we already know it's that song and obviously it's been up for a long time

TailsTheAssassin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4398 2362 0516
Well Chrom's Final Smash got named as Awakening Aether, gender debates were had about Dark Samus and apparently Rolls and grabs (besides tethers) have been nerfed
Interesting. I think we already learned dodge rolling was nerfed. And in what way were grabs nerfed?

5 - Geno
4 - Shantae
3- Tails
3 - Isabelle

Done

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Next you'll be telling me she has a dog that has bees in it's mouth so that when it barks it shoots bees at you.
Oh, also, she has a dog that has bees in it's mouth so that when it barks it shoots bees at you--

1534549124656.png

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

I'd gladly use my fifteen points to buy Isabelle five times... But really though, I'd choose Isabelle, Tails, Shantae, Gardevoir, Viridi, Birdo, and Celica. This was fun. I'm glad you shared this. Thank you.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Geno+5
Incineroar+4
Isabelle+3
Paper Mario+3
It was hard to pick between Bandanna Dee and Geno but let's face it, Geno's not showing up anywhere except for Smash anytime soon.
He deserves some time in the spotlight just once more.
The rest were easy picks though.
Also, that Lobster is easily worth 100 points at least.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Interesting. I think we already learned dodge rolling was nerfed. And in what way were grabs nerfed?
Grabs seem to take an extra 10 frames. Not sure what is start up and what is "whiffed" but should be interesting. And another kick in the knickers to the Ice Climbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom