• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Better than sympathy of the night? No way that's the best castlevania by far.

Didn't think it was up for debate tbh most castlevania fans would agree going by the general consensus.
Symphony of the Night wasn't my first Igavania (it was Circle of the Moon) and I really think that's what did it for me. SotN just doesn't hold up when you don't have nostalgia for it. Character progression was handled better later one, the inverted Castle was a cool idea executed terribly, the Sorrow games significantly improved both the melee and magic systems (cannot overstate this), it's clunkier than the others, and the story is probably the weakest of the Iga titles.

For me it's Dawn>Aria>Circle>Ecclesia>Harmony>Symphony
Haven't played Portrait

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I'd be ecstatic but this is simply not feasible. FE7 is nice but the trio in addition to Chrom and another rep is absolutely ridiculous, not to mention bashing popular picks like Bandana Dee in the process.

Bandana Dee is important to the Kirby franchise, he's basically the 4th main character. Kirby is well-selling franchises that consistently hits >1,000,00 sales (sometimes 2 or 3 million) and is beloved by many fans. Kirby wasn't gotten anything since Brawl, and adding in essentially the 4th main character just makes sense at this point. Bandana Dee with a unique spear moveset and just an adorable design is one of the top picks for Ultimate imo.
I'm not bashing Bandana Dee it's just that I feel that 3 main characters for Kirby are enough. And I don't think he's a particularly important character beyond a novelty factor

I think the fire emblem characters aren't a huge stretch considering how many we got in smash 4 both in base and as DLC.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Has Verg clarified yet which Gen 7 Pokémon he thinks is gonna be in the game?

I assume either Incineroar or the almighty Buzzwole

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hmm, I'm trying to imagine the salt from a Kiran newcomer that commands Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna like Pokemon Trainer.

We can rebut the "sales/popularity" arguments with Heroes' $400 million, other than Alfonse we'd have long-awaited weapon variety and unique gameplay with Sharena's lance and Anna's axe, and Alfonse's personality with Sharena and Anna's unique designs would make them appealing as characters.

Still a 9/10 salt rating though.
As much as I would love Sharena's lance wielding, and her friendly, warm, welcoming personality, I'd rather have Fjorm since she has the added ability of controlling ice. However, Sharena would be my second Heroes pick third being Anna.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Wait, Lupenko gave Verg that information?

Interesting...

I've dealt with Lupenko in the past when it came to Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

The guy seemingly does have insider knowledge, but he's never super open about it, usually playing games instead of straight up saying what he means.

For example, for Ultimate MvsC3, he basically had EventHubs play a guessing game, where he gave incredibly vague hints, while under a time limit, where if they didn't guess in an allotted time, he'd move onto the next one.

These hints were also either really easy "Kentucky Fried" for Firebrand iirc, to downright asinine "Yellow Fever" for Frank West.
Lupensko is not Lupinko

WaxPython

Smash Ace
The series is more than likely to reboot after this one. Who knows who will be in the next Smash. As far as I'm concerned this is the last Smash as we know it before it is reinvented. So if you want your fav character in this kind of a game, it's now or never.
And sell the cut characters as DLC nice lol.
But this is Nintendo not Capcom I don't see this happening

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I'm not bashing Bandana Dee it's just that I feel that 3 main characters for Kirby are enough. And I don't think he's a particularly important character beyond a novelty factor

I think the fire emblem characters aren't a huge stretch considering how many we got in smash 4 both in base and as DLC.
idk, at this point other than poor DK I'm not really sure any series is in desperate need for more representation. But Bandanna Dee is a reasonably popular character who I'd personally like to see. I also wouldn't mind seeing more Fire Emblem characters, but I'd hope we'd get a decent number of newcomers if we got a non-echo one. Otherwise the blowback from like, 6 newcomers and yet another Fire Emblem character would be kinda sad to see rip.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
DK is quite literally the only series left where no newcomer seems strange, even then I don't find it a make it or break it deal.

Still, now DK newcomer would be tone deaf. I feel confident that we will at least get Dixie Kong soon enough.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I mean to be fair, at least it wasn't like the Ryu and Roy leaks. Leaked MONTHS in advance and then a day before the announcement EVERY BIT OF THE CHARACTER IS LEAKED.

We may know Simon is (most likely) in but what about his stage, his music, his design, his gameplay. All of that, my friend, is what brings the hype!
You know the best part about Simon's inclusion?

The fact that he can appear onscreen at the same time as Samus. The term "Metroidvania" shall officially reach its zenith should this turn out to be true.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

The fact that he can appear onscreen at the same time as Samus. The term "Metroidvania" shall officially reach its zenith should this turn out to be true.
No no, I haven't come to terms with the term yet. I prefer "Metroid-style" games...

Enchess

Smash Lord

Except Simon's most notable games weren't Metroidvania's. (You can count Simon's Quest if you are really desperate for it to work, but SotN was when Castlevania became attached to that genre)

No no, I haven't come to terms with the term yet. I prefer "Metroid-style" games...
I never got why Castlevania got part of the genre title. SotN didn't contribute anything to the formula that wasn't already in Super Metroid other than RPG elements, which is not considered an essential aspect of Metroidvanias anyway

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wow I certainly missed a lot in the past 11 hours I was asleep. Looks like after 26 years since the final episode, the cast of Captain N will be able to reunite.
:ultpit::ultmegaman:

Just give me Ryu Hayabusa now so we can round out the NES.

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
The most exciting thing about this Vergeben thing to be right for me, is that Isabelle is in! I don’t care about Simon, I never played Castlevania,although I hope Simon is fun to play. Can’t wait for this afternoon! 8 hours to go.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Except Simon's most notable games weren't Metroidvania's. (You can count Simon's Quest if you are really desperate for it to work, but SotN was when Castlevania became attached to that genre)

I never got why Castlevania got part of the genre title. SotN didn't contribute anything to the formula that wasn't already in Super Metroid other than RPG elements, which is not considered an essential aspect of Metroidvanias anyway
I wonder if you got the subtle joke in my response...

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I know we not going to sit here and act like we can sleep when a direct is literally hitting us in the morning; this thread is usually dead at this time of hour. I know ai can't. I am personally setting an alarm to ensure I don't doze off like I did for Prom ........................

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Overlooked your bolding if that's what you're talking about, otherwise I'm in the dark (I feel like I missed an opportunity for a Castlevania joke here, but can't think of one)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do.

I before E except after C is my response now.

Anyway, I hope we get a music update tonight. If it's the leaked music from earlier, Simon(if he's in) could be revealed at another time. If it's a different song, I think Simon's pretty much coming tomorrow.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Well better for America you can “skip” time with sleeping. I am just stuck being excited for a full 7 hours. Help.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wow I certainly missed a lot in the past 11 hours I was asleep.
You and me both. I always seem to be busy with mediocre life poop when important things happen.

I’m very much looking forward to the Direct in a few hours. I’ve loved Castlevania since I was barely out of diapers (older brother to thank for that) and I’ve always been on board for a Castlevania rep.

Roberk

Smash Champion

??? That's quite the jump in logic. Similar to the convo with Jetsurge, just because something happened previously doesn't mean it'll happen again. FE characters are a stretch due to Ultimate timing and balancing roster representation, just because it's been lucky with Smash before doesn't mean it'll be lucky with Ultimate.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Crazy. This game is nuts lol. I was thinking "man people are asking for Goku now and we've got so many characters that it actually makes sense" LMAO.
Wow I certainly missed a lot in the past 11 hours I was asleep. Looks like after 26 years since the final episode, the cast of Captain N will be able to reunite.
:ultpit::ultmegaman:

Just give me Ryu Hayabusa now so we can round out the NES.
Yo but can we get Crono so we can get the main character of every game I owned on the Super Nintendo playable in Smash fam?

Enchess

Smash Lord
This is gonna be hard for you non Europeans, I just have to go to work and go to a friend once I finish my shift and boom, 2 hours left before the Direct
I'm gonna have to cut my sleep short by 2 hours if I wanna watch and I think I hate you Europeans now haha

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well better for America you can “skip” time with sleeping. I am just stuck being excited for a full 7 hours. Help.
Nah man, die arme Amerikanen zijn te opgewonden om nog to slapen lol.
Try binging a tv series or something? Play some video games?
I'm gonna have to cut my sleep short by 2 hours if I wanna watch and I think I hate you Europeans now haha
This is your fault for getting games earlier than us and we usually get Directs at 11PM or so lol

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
maxresdefault (1).jpg

I don't think the stage in this screenshot is Final Destination, like a lot of people thought it was when it was revealed. Could it be a Castlevania stage, or do the platforms and stuff look too modern? I just have this gut feeling that it isn't Final Destination, but I could be wrong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 156210
I don't think the stage in this screenshot is Final Destination, like a lot of people thought it was when it was revealed. Could it be a Castlevania stage, or do the platforms and stuff look too modern? I just have this gut feeling that it isn't Final Destination, but I could be wrong.
I thought a Castlevania stage wouldn't look nearly as high-tech though? I get that tech does exist in the series in some games and all, but it feels like it might be represented more in the medieval settings instead.

Roberk

Smash Champion
View attachment 156210
Way too modern for Castlevania, maybe Final Destination but I'm not sure about the high-tech for FD as well.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
idk, at this point other than poor DK I'm not really sure any series is in desperate need for more representation. But Bandanna Dee is a reasonably popular character who I'd personally like to see. I also wouldn't mind seeing more Fire Emblem characters, but I'd hope we'd get a decent number of newcomers if we got a non-echo one. Otherwise the blowback from like, 6 newcomers and yet another Fire Emblem character would be kinda sad to see rip.
Mostly agree here. Personally I'd like to see another Zelda character that isn't part of the triforce trio, but that's definitely less important. I also think AC is quite deserving of a newcomer (which seems to be happening so I suppose that's neither here nor there). But yeah otherwise nothing really seems pressing to me personally, apart from DK missing K. Rool AND Dixie. Both are iconic and tbh I don't think the roster will truly be complete without either of them.

But to that end, this is exactly why I'd generally rather see new characters come from series that aren't currently included. As much as I LOVE Pokemon, I'd rather see something new. It's just more interesting imo.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Nah man, die arme Amerikanen zijn te opgewonden om nog to slapen lol.
Try binging a tv series or something? Play some video games?
Hey, Nederlands :-D

Nope, I’m stuck on an airport in Barcelona to come back from my holiday. Maybe play some Smash 3DS, who knows. Plane flies around 5:15PM. Direct airs at 4:00PM. I guess I am lucky with that.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
View attachment 156210
That's Final Destination almost definitely; architecture is similar and the red spot looks like a planet and the purple sky hints at space (similar to what we see in past FD's).

In fact the purple is 100% like 64's/Melee's/Brawl's purple color on FD (reminder: FD is the purple stage lol).

Last edited:

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
I thought a Castlevania stage wouldn't look nearly as high-tech though? I get that tech does exist in the series in some games and all, but it feels like it might be represented more in the medieval settings instead.
Way too modern for Castlevania, maybe Final Destination but I'm not sure about the high-tech for FD as well.
Ok. I thought the stuff looked too modern, but I wasn't sure.

In that case, I wonder what it is if it turns out not to be Final Destination.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am soooooo hyped for smash direct i hope something sonic related happens

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
$5 says the Direct is just Sakurai eating a porkchop lunch for 25 minutes before it pans away to: Simon Belmont is Here for Dessert!

D

Deleted member

$5 says the Direct is just Sakurai eating a porkchop lunch for 25 minutes before it pans away to: Simon Belmont is Here for Dessert!
Lol i remember the direct Charizard and Greninja was revealed I was steaming mad that there was no new characters I was about to click off and that I see the screen fade and then I start praying lol

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Speaking of sleep, I just remembered something. Shantae got a new game mode not to long ago call Jammies mode, where you play as Shantae in her well... Jammies but get this, the plot of this mode is Shantae trying to put together the "ULTIMATE SLEEPOVER PARTY". But here's the kicker what makes it ultimate is that EVERYONE IS INVITED, friends and foes.

What if along with Simon, we get Shantae too. Wayforward always like putting in quips and jokes like these, I wouldn't put it pass them to put in a hint to Smash. Plus their new mode came out before the direct too. Coincidence, probably, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom