• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So what if the next game had to be reduced to 40 characters

This is probably the most likely result

And it scares me
Returning
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Dk
6. Diddy
7. Link
8. Zelda
9. Ganondorf
10. Samus
11. Ridley
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. King Dedede
15. Meta Knight
16. Fox
17. Falco
18. Pikachu
19. Jigglypuff
20. Lucario
21. Ness
22. Captain Falcon
23. Marth
24. Ike
25. Mr. Game & Watch
26. Pit
27. R.O.B.
28. Olimar
29. Wario
30. Villager
31. Shulk
32. Little Mac
33. Inklings

New
34. Spring Man
35. New Pokemon
36. New Fire Emblem
37. New Xenoblade
38. Impa
39. Some new IP that doesn't exist yet
40. Some new IP that probably does exist and will probably be in Ultimate making them old news anyway. Probably Rhythm Heaven related.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

And it scares me
Returning
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Dk
6. Diddy
7. Link
8. Zelda
9. Ganondorf
10. Samus
11. Ridley
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. King Dedede
15. Meta Knight
16. Fox
17. Falco
18. Pikachu
19. Jigglypuff
20. Lucario
21. Ness
22. Captain Falcon
23. Marth
24. Ike
25. Mr. Game & Watch
26. Pit
27. R.O.B.
28. Olimar
29. Wario
30. Villager
31. Shulk
32. Little Mac
33. Inklings

New
34. Spring Man
35. New Pokemon
36. New Fire Emblem
37. New Xenoblade
38. Impa
40. Some new IP that probably does exist and will probably be in Ultimate making them old news anyway. Probably Rhythm Heaven related.
Are you BarrabaCHHS over on GameFaqs? This is 100% identical to that list...

MainJPW

M.T.A
For some reason to me it always sounds like Daisy has an Australian accent.
Which doesn't make since because Deanna Mustard is American
****ing bonkers dude
Daisy has a British accent in this song:

It’s before Deanna Mustard but... dang; Daisy is versatile. She does sports and sings and ****.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

And it scares me
Returning
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Dk
6. Diddy
7. Link
8. Zelda
9. Ganondorf
10. Samus
11. Ridley
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. King Dedede
15. Meta Knight
16. Fox
17. Falco
18. Pikachu
19. Jigglypuff
20. Lucario
21. Ness
22. Captain Falcon
23. Marth
24. Ike
25. Mr. Game & Watch
26. Pit
27. R.O.B.
28. Olimar
29. Wario
30. Villager
31. Shulk
32. Little Mac
33. Inklings

New
34. Spring Man
35. New Pokemon
36. New Fire Emblem
37. New Xenoblade
38. Impa
This really feels boring, tbh.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I could see them simply porting Ultimate with new stuff and some engine/gameplay tweaks. No reason to re-invent the wheel here, we got the series' max potential.

I'd like a spin off of Smash focusing more on traditional fighters. That would sell and you could "reboot" the roster without upsetting anyone as it is a brand new title.

Alternatively there is always the Master Chief Collection method - re-release all 5 entries in one package with online. I trust them to do a better job than 343i for that.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I could see them simply porting Ultimate with new stuff and some engine/gameplay tweaks. No reason to re-invent the wheel here, we got the series' max potential.

I'd like a spin off of Smash focusing more on traditional fighters. That would sell and you could "reboot" the roster without upsetting anyone as it is a brand new title.
The Dissidia Dev Team thought they had reached the Dissidia Final Fantasy formula's max potential, the "next game" in the series was Theatrhythm Final Fantasy...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Dissidia Dev Team thought they had reached the Dissidia Final Fantasy formula's max potential, the "next game" in the series was Theatrhythm Final Fantasy...
So what you're saying is the next game will have a Rhythm Heaven character.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
From what I get, surprise characters aren't exactly characters in some way.
There was no such character as Mr. Game & Watch, prior to Melee.
R.O.B. was a toy mostly.
Duck Hunt isn't a character, they are target+NPC+shooter.

Wii Fit Trainer was a suprise and her selection was partly due to that but she's exactly what she is in her games. An instructor character whose a blank avatar. Not a real life object or her game condensed into a character.
It's not that they aren't characters. it's that the ones we have so far aren't characters.
A surprise character, for me at least. is just a character no one saw coming.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So I've been hearing a lot of people say Samus, Zelda, and Ganondorf are still terrible. The latter doesn't surprise me because his poor recovery and slow attacks compensating for his insane power will always be an issue, but the former two? Are those two destined to be bottom tier forever?

I know things can change over the remaining development time, but it's immensely disappointing to see that these two are still considered to be bad (and it's even more insulting for Samus since Ridley will likely be better than her). I was hoping we'd see a massive transition like :mewtwomelee: to :4mewtwo:, but so far, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I guess my definition of top tier would be the very top of the list, as in the S rank; the spot that Bayonetta, Cloud, and Diddy Kong are in. In a way, the format would be like this...

S: Top
A: Upper
B: High
C: Middle
D: Mid-Low
E: Low
F: Bottom

But obviously, official tier list don't follow this trend, since Smash 3DS / Wii U has a G tier, while Melee and Brawl have a tier that's above the S ranking.
SS is usually God Tier and G and lower are Gimmick/Joke/ Roll Tier.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
People worry about where Smash goes from here but I'd love to see what they could do if they stopped pandering to the Smash community's "don't throw out our old toys" mentality and just shafted half the roster for entirely new characters. Think of it as an opportunity to do something new instead of losing something old. (You can always go back to an older game to play as characters you miss, after all.)

Imagine if Marth was the only FE character guaranteed to be on the roster and they could add anyone else to join him. Leif as a Master Knight who can use an armory by himself or Micaiah as a light mage, or the Black Knight in full armor. If they focused on new characters each game over old ones you'd see a lot more out-there interesting choices. Zelda characters that aren't The Big 3 would finally have a chance of getting in. Each game would have it's Ridley or Snake, a character so good you play the old game just for them.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
People worry about where Smash goes from here but I'd love to see what they could do if they stopped pandering to the Smash community's "don't throw out our old toys" mentality and just shafted half the roster for entirely new characters. Think of it as an opportunity to do something new instead of losing something old. (You can always go back to an older game to play as characters you miss, after all.).
I mean yeah, but I also like seeing them with changes and buffs (or nerfs) in a new engine with a different/better art style :p

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Alternatively there is always the Master Chief Collection method - re-release all 5 entries in one package with online. I trust them to do a better job than 343i for that.
Please don't remind of that collection :( I would have actually bought an Xbox One for that single game

But I think the next Smash Bros in the future is gonna be a reboot

Iridium

Smash Hero

And it scares me
Returning
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Dk
6. Diddy
7. Link
8. Zelda
9. Ganondorf
10. Samus
11. Ridley
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. King Dedede
15. Meta Knight
16. Fox
17. Falco
18. Pikachu
19. Jigglypuff
20. Lucario
21. Ness
22. Captain Falcon
23. Marth
24. Ike
25. Mr. Game & Watch
26. Pit
27. R.O.B.
28. Olimar
29. Wario
30. Villager
31. Shulk
32. Little Mac
33. Inklings

New
34. Spring Man
35. New Pokemon
36. New Fire Emblem
37. New Xenoblade
38. Impa
Why would they cut Greninja? A pretty iconic character, representing Gen VI, and he was designed for Smash. They probably would keep him, like they would Lucario, honestly.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
People worry about where Smash goes from here but I'd love to see what they could do if they stopped pandering to the Smash community's "don't throw out our old toys" mentality and just shafted half the roster for entirely new characters. Think of it as an opportunity to do something new instead of losing something old. (You can always go back to an older game to play as characters you miss, after all.)
It probably will. Ultimate is bringing back everything for a grand finale, and it’s early in the Switch’s lifetime. I can’t see another Smash for ages, and it’ll probably be a ground-up reboot. Nor do I want to think about it now. Ultimate hasn’t even released yet.

But I have to say, there are a lot of people disparaging “oh, people need to let go of the old stuff, just go back and play the old games!” and that’s a bit irritating. So what if I want to play Squirtle vs Mewtwo and Ridley on Saffron City? Which game should I play then? All of the polls in the ballot era showed that cut vets are significantly more wanted than newcomers, so Sakurai is giving the fanbase what it wants.

It really just sounds like people want a smaller roster so there are fewer matchups to learn. Why don’t they take their own advice - if you liked the small roster with a set tier list and Melee mechanics, I’ve got a game for you: Melee.

And if you’re the kind of person who just hates certain characters or thinks that removing character X will get character Y in, that’s not a guarantee. I loathe Dark Pit and think Corrin’s addiditon was unnecessary, but I’m still really excited that everyone is back here.

And anyone who thinks cutting favorites and rebooting will definitely revive a franchise should look at Soul Calibur...

Last edited:

Gamer23

Smash Rookie
Actually, I recently watched the character trailer for ROB and it appears that he might get a stage. I didn't get a good look at it, but the fact that there was a giant ROB statue in the background says it all.

D

Deleted member

Actually, I recently watched the character trailer for ROB and it appears that he might get a stage. I didn't get a good look at it, but the fact that there was a giant ROB statue in the background says it all.
That's the giant R.O.B. statue on Port Town Aero Dive.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That ROB statue has been in Port Town Aero Dive since Brawl. It's nothing new.

(Edit: ...Aaaaand, nevermind. :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I

Imagine if Marth was the only FE character guaranteed to be on the roster and they could add anyone else to join him. Leif as a Master Knight who can use an armory by himself or Micaiah as a light mage, or the Black Knight in full armor. If they focused on new characters each game over old ones you'd see a lot more out-there interesting choices. Zelda characters that aren't The Big 3 would finally have a chance of getting in. Each game would have it's Ridley or Snake, a character so good you play the old game just for them.
hope next gen they drop smash and do something wildly different like a just Pokémon Smash game or Smash where it’s a 3D platform fighter. Then return and do a traditional 2d smash on the next consol where there has been time to really change things up without making everyone mad.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Given the fact there are so many Nintendo characters I've wanted in Smash over the years that will never make it, anyone should feel extremely honored to have a character they love appear as a fighter even once. Boo hoo! Your favorite character was cut. Well atleast they were in Smash at all.

I have a saying: It is better to have been in Smash then cut, then to never have been in Smash at all.

If Pichu never came back to the series, he's still 100x luckier than a ton of other Nintendo characters who were never given a chance at all.

So yeah. I'd rather they cut characters to make room for new ones. I don't weep for cut characters because they had a time in the spotlight. I weep for Samurai Goroh. I weep for Takamaru. I weep for tons of other guys.

I'm not saying cuts will mean the characters I want will happen. But it might mean a chance characters someone else wanted might happen.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I

hope next gen they drop smash and do something wildly different like a just Pokémon Smash game or Smash where it’s a 3D platform fighter. Then return and do a traditional 2d smash on the next consol where there has been time to really change things up without making everyone mad.
Smash wouldn't be Smash anymore without the crossover of multiple franchises and its 2D fighting. I want something different too, but I feel like that would be too drastic of a change.

If you want a Pokemon Smash game where it's a 3D platform fighter, then a sequel to Pokken would be a better solution than Smash spin-off.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, that's a neat concept.

ROB has been in three smash game now so i think its time he gets his own stage for once.
So even though ROB is designated with the Gyro logo, his Boxing title references the SSE.

So what if they give ROB a SSE-based stage? Basically taking elements from the Research Facility or Subspace Bomb Factory, possibly include some subspace enemies as hazards...

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I

Yeah they should not make a guaranteed money maker and instead make a game that’ll probably flop... cause that makes financial sense

D

Deleted member

So even though ROB is designated with the Gyro logo, his Boxing title references the SSE.

So what if they give ROB a SSE-based stage? Basically taking elements from the Research Facility or Subspace Bomb Factory, possibly include some subspace enemies as hazards...
I honestly wouldn't mind that. An interesting design note about the gyro icon is that the Subspace Army symbol is intentionally incorporated into the top part of the gyro, just at an angle.

gyro.png

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

This reminds me that I really want a Smash original character in haha.
Since Smash is a mixup of Nintendo All-Stars and it has been wildly popular itself, I feel like it would be fun to have a character original to Smash in.

Tabuu.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

And it scares me
Returning
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Dk
6. Diddy
7. Link
8. Zelda
9. Ganondorf
10. Samus
11. Ridley
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. King Dedede
15. Meta Knight
16. Fox
17. Falco
18. Pikachu
19. Jigglypuff
20. Lucario
21. Ness
22. Captain Falcon
23. Marth
24. Ike
25. Mr. Game & Watch
26. Pit
27. R.O.B.
28. Olimar
29. Wario
30. Villager
31. Shulk
32. Little Mac
33. Inklings

New
34. Spring Man
35. New Pokemon
36. New Fire Emblem
37. New Xenoblade
38. Impa
It has Impa, can't be boring therefore :D

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well Falco loses a lot of speed, the shine is different, and all of other factors that go into that. Honestly Falco post melee is so sad to me since he used to be so high leveled.
Falco was more viable than Fox in Brawl.

But those were the Meta Knight times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom