• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I had a crazy prophetic dream last night. In the dream I just bought Smash and was playing with my cousin. Then he goes off on this crazy rant about how weird this development cycle was. He said after the Dlc the team that made Smash went off to make another game some mortal combat or something which left Sakurai with a really small group. He used this group to focus on bringing characters and stages back. It wasn’t until half way through the development period that the rest of the team returned and then they hired even more people to quickly add new content into the game.

I just woke up and I can’t stop thinking Omg that might have actually happened. Sakurai says they have a huge team on smash but that demo does not look like it at all. Which really begs the question where has there work been going? Sure you could say they just haven’t revealed it yet but I’d counter that their release of Smash news is actually making people loose interest in the game more than it’s making them excited for it. I don’t think they have enough prepared to show because they’re still working on it.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I'd feel bad if Sakurai didn't drive home in a slick red sports car.
Today I learned that Sakurai is Miles Edgeworth.

Hey Sakurai, next time you go to work, how about you pick up Wright and shove him into the game.

Please?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm not sure tier lists even mean anything at this point. We passed 60 fighters. "Top tier" mostly means "best players main those, so also should you".
Mewtwo is kind of the prime example of this. Even after he got the buffs that made him an amazing character no one took us Mewtwo mains seriously until Abadongo took a tournament with him. Of course I'd argue that Mewtwo is still better then most of the roster because of the sheer flexibility he displays in his toolkit but the point still stands that top players have a massive impact on who we do or don't consider viable.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Mewtwo is kind of the prime example of this. Even after he got the buffs that made him an amazing character no one took us Mewtwo mains seriously until Abadongo took a tournament with him. Of course I'd argue that Mewtwo is still better then most of the roster because of the sheer flexibility he displays in his toolkit but the point still stands that top players have a massive impact on who we do or don't consider viable.
Mewtwo was terrible was he was first released as dlc. Horrible hitboxes, weight was lighter than Jiggypuff. Thank God they buffed him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hang on a minute, you know how people are sying that Mii fighters choose between 3 sets of specials instead of mixing and matching?

Do we have a direct translation of the Japanese post? Remember when mistranslation made us all think NEss was cut from Brawl?

D

Deleted member

That Yoshi committed tax fraud meme is among the most not funny memes in existence.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Hang on a minute, you know how people are sying that Mii fighters choose between 3 sets of specials instead of mixing and matching?

Do we have a direct translation of the Japanese post? Remember when mistranslation made us all think NEss was cut from Brawl?
I got this from translating the Japanese site -
You can choose from 3 types, each of which can be customized to your liking from 3 types. In addition, you can choose from 12 different voices!

Sounds pretty similar. I think if they are going to make them usable online they need to make them have set movesets so they are balanced.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Mewtwo was terrible was he was first released as dlc. Horrible hitboxes, weight was lighter than Jiggypuff. Thank God they buffed him.
Nah, Jiggles was always the lightest character in Smash. IIRC, Mewtwo was only the second llightest at release, and still was even after his extremely minuscule weight buff. People were just so salty and disappointed in how he came out that they constantly overstated his weaknesses.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I got this from translating the Japanese site -
You can choose from 3 types, each of which can be customized to your liking from 3 types. In addition, you can choose from 12 different voices!

Sounds pretty similar. I think if they are going to make them usable online they need to make them have set movesets so they are balanced.
That just sounds like they're saying that Miis have 3 specials for each special. Which is the same as before.

Does anyone have an accurate translation of the blog post so that we can confirm exactly what it says?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You gotta get with the meme times.
*sssshhhhk*

Now Shulk being a photoshopped Little Mac. Now THAT was a meme!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So... wait, if each Mii has 3 set err... sets of 4 specials, doesn't that mean they cover 12 movesets in and of themselves? What's that gonna do to the numbering system?

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I've always been under the impression that Yoshi was fairly strong...

Anyway.

Does anyone have an accurate translation of the blog post so that we can confirm exactly what it says?

Smash Blog Japanese said:
【きょうのファイター】51-53:Miiファイター(格闘/剣術/射撃)
3タイプから選べ、それぞれの必殺ワザも3種類の中から自分好みにカスタマイズできます。さらに、声も12種類の中から選ぶことができますよ!
Translation:
[Today's Fighter] 51-53 : Mii Fighter (Brawler / Swordfighter/ Gunner)
You can choose from three types, and for each special you can choose from 3 skills and customize it to your liking. In addition, you can also choose from 12 types of voices!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No.

The surprise character is someone Sakurai puts in the project plan.
The surprise characters seem to be retro characters.

Game and Watch and ROB were probably other "surprise characters" too.
So your argument is based off patterns, despite just how many patterns have already been broken?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Translation:
[Today's Fighter] 51-53 : Mii Fighter (Brawler / Swordfighter/ Gunner)
You can choose from three types, and for each special you can choose from 3 skills and customize it to your liking. In addition, you can also choose from 12 types of voices!
Sounds like Miis still have full customisation to me.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It literally doesn't matter what you personally think or whether or not you disagree, dude.

Sakurai literally said Duck Hunt was the game's "surprise character" in the project proposal for the game. Not Wii Fit Trainer.
Your point is factually dead in the water.
Well, honestly, Wii Fit Trainer can still be a surprise without her being directly stated as a surprise character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another upcoming competition, so people can kill some time until the supposed August 3 Direct happens:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...mate_at_nintendoukvs_live_london_this_weekend

There was this post on the Smash Reddit that I thought was cool so here it is.

Can your most wanted character pass the "Sakurai" Test?

You must answer each question with detailed answers and not with simple yes or no responses. I have included Sakurai’s quotes to justify my questions. I am also limiting my questions based on what quotes that I can find from Sakurai that way i'm not projecting anything I believe should be asked for the character.

Here are the questions

1. How relevant/popular is your character within the Nintendo franchise? The proposal/planning for Ultimate began circa December 2015. Was your character popular in and around that time?

2. Is your character's franchise already represented in Smash? Do you believe that the franchise is under or over represented? If the franchise is not currently represented in Smash, why do you believe it should be?

3. Can your Character Dance? Meaning: What is unique about your character? Does your character potentially offer a fighting style that is unique to the roster?

For any third party characters

1. How iconic is your character within its own company? Would you say it is the #1 most iconic character that they have made? Is your character the protagonist of its own series? Explain.

2. Are both Parties (Companies) open to letting the character be in Smash? Has the creator of the character stated openly that they would allow the use of their IP?

3. Can your Character Dance? Meaning: What is unique about your character? Does your character potentially offer a fighting style that is unique to the roster?

Here's the original post: https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/90zqq0/can_your_most_wanted_character_pass_the_sakurai/
The fact that Shantae pretty much fills the majority of the criteria makes me happy. She even LITERALLY dances.

Honorable mention being Rayman, since he fits the bill too.

Don't have time to answer though, gotta go to work.

I just hope Gamer is back since that's one of my favorite stages and that Wario Land gets a remix or at the very least more songs (even if it's from Wario World)
I liked Wario World though.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Custom specials for anything but Mii fighters are a waste of time. There's just no convenient way to incorporate them in to any kind of gameplay.
Tell that to the fighters who have rather bad default special moves. Dark Fists was much superior to Dark Dive, and Charizard didn't have to worry about self-damage while using Dragon Rush. Even Upper Cutter has its uses as a recovery move.

Of course, some special moves were very impractical to even touch.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, honestly, Wii Fit Trainer can still be a surprise without her being directly stated as a surprise character.
From what I get, surprise characters aren't exactly characters in some way.
There was no such character as Mr. Game & Watch, prior to Melee.
R.O.B. was a toy mostly.
Duck Hunt isn't a character, they are target+NPC+shooter.

Wii Fit Trainer was a suprise and her selection was partly due to that but she's exactly what she is in her games. An instructor character whose a blank avatar. Not a real life object or her game condensed into a character.

D

Deleted member

The A tier definitely isn't the very top of the list, so Fox isn't top tier in Smash 3DS / Wii U, nor in Smash 64; he's only ranked #1 in Melee anyway.
The 3rd tier list for Smash 4 defines "top tier" as S tier and A tier. The 4th tier list doesn't make this distinction, so make of that as you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The 3rd tier list for Smash 4 defines "top tier" as S tier and A tier. The 4th tier list doesn't make this distinction, so make of that as you will.
I guess my definition of top tier would be the very top of the list, as in the S rank; the spot that Bayonetta, Cloud, and Diddy Kong are in. In a way, the format would be like this...

S: Top
A: Upper
B: High
C: Middle
D: Mid-Low
E: Low
F: Bottom

But obviously, official tier list don't follow this trend, since Smash 3DS / Wii U has a G tier, while Melee and Brawl have a tier that's above the S ranking.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I didn’t know Daisy was a singer.
For some reason to me it always sounds like Daisy has an Australian accent.
Which doesn't make since because Deanna Mustard is American
****ing bonkers dude

I still can't believe people thought that Shulk was an edit of Little Mac render. Still makes me laugh to this day
I still can't believe mods didn't get roasted by a wave of trolls for all those thread closings en masse for saying the ESRB leak was fake.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess my definition of top tier would be the very top of the list, as in the S rank; the spot that Bayonetta, Cloud, and Diddy Kong are in. In a way, the format would be like this...

S: Top
A: Upper
B: High
C: Middle
D: Mid-Low
E: Low
F: Bottom

But obviously, official tier list don't follow this trend, since Smash 3DS / Wii U has a G tier, while Melee and Brawl have a tier that's above the S ranking.
Wait, are there official tier lists? I thought they were fan made.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wait, are there official tier lists? I thought they were fan made.
It's the official tier list template, but "official" only comes in the shape of competitive play rather than Nintendo acknowledgement. :p

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Mewtwo was just um.. bad on release.. like low tier material bad. Mewtwo was the most buffed character in Smash 4 with patches as they practically upgraded his entire kit not to mention drastically buffing his run speed as well. The devs fixed many bad hitboxes, decreased landing lag, gave more range, etc. I could go into further detail as to why Mewtwo became strong, but competitive Smash has much depth and requires a certain amount of understanding as to what makes a character good and how to fix a character as well. You have to understand neutral interactions, disadvantage state, and the advantage state etc. that is all taken into consideration about characters. Falco for example loss nearly everything that made him good (lasers, dair, chaingrabs) in Brawl and in Melee without the devs giving him anything in return. Falco is probably the character I have 0 hope for in ever being good again which is sad. Its funny watching this thread talk about the competitive aspect of the game :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom