• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So what's new?

Has that fake Stenee thing sunk even harder?

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
One thing they could do is at least change the aesthetics per the series. Assuming Brawl-style ones.

I think series-specific target tests could've worked during Melee, and maybe even Brawl, but 4 just upped the characters to a huge degree... so...
Yeah, this is why I want to see an overhaul to the single player options. Having to complete Classic/Adventure/All-Star for 70 characters if you want all the trophies? Seems a bit too farfetched.

I know Smash is a fighting/party game. But Sm4sh was just Smash, there was no variety in any of the modes. Everything just felt like the same exact thing. I want substance for the next game.

Honestly, the single player modes I want to see are:
  • Improved Smash Run
  • Event Matches
  • Stadium
  • All-Star and a new Adventure Mode? I don't like the thought of having to complete it 70 times though.
  • Orders, but maybe a bit more variety
  • EDIT: If Classic comes back, put in Break the Targets, Home-Run, and Board the Platforms. Anything to change the pace of "KO THIS OPPONENT"

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I’m curious to what the main theme will sound like.

Out of the 3 Smash games, which title theme is your favorite, Melee, Brawl or 4? (64 doesn’t have one)
Would this not count as Smash 64's theme??

Either way, 4 > Melee > 64 > Brawl

I was never a fan of the chorus sound for a theme. I love true instrumentals.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I thought that too. Honestly though if they make it generic enough that any character from the franchise can do it, but differentiate them and make them nice homages to their series (like Hyrule Castle, Mushroom Kingdom, or the Underworld), it could work. Not as good as Melee of course, but better than Brawl and even better than Angry Birds Target Blast.
Maybe it would be reasonable to break it up on bigger series? Fox and Falco can reasonably have the same stage, but Mario could get two or three that each have multiple routes for the characters that get them, e.g.
Mushroom Kingdom: :4mario::4luigi:
Bowser's Castle: :4bowser::4bowserjr:
...somewhere else: :4peach::4drmario:
S P A C E : :rosalina:
If there are already multiple Mario stages, I think it would make more sense to put Mario and Doc on different ones so there's more to do with each of them. Instances like Bowser's Castle can have things like tunnels to accomodate Jr's projectiles, and a target over a pit where Bowser is meant to use down special and Jr uses up special.
Ignoring that there will obviously be newcomers, I think all of the current cast could be well-served with a max of ~3 stages per series other than Mario.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Out of the 3 Smash games, which title theme is your favorite, Melee, Brawl or 4? (64 doesn’t have one)
I'd go with Brawl. It was such a great theme to listen to.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

I think Brawl had the better soundtrack, including the theme. Smash 4 felt like a ton of missing potential. They underused people like ACE and Nagamatsu, imo.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't think character-specific Target Test levels are too farfetched considering they're not working on two games at once.

That's why I think a lot of the single-player content was bogged down honestly.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hot take

I don't mind needing to complete the solo modes ~70 times to get all the trophies. I play those modes almost exclusively anyway.
I'd be more okay with it if there was some variety or stroke of randomness in the modes. If I had to do some specific break the targets or the allstar matches are randomized, etc.

But everything feels so routine and monotonous. It's so focused on "beat this opponent-next round-beat this opponent-repeat until you beat the mode" that having to do it over and over bores me. Just my opinion though.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Speaking of trophies, there should be exclusive trophies for each playable character that you can only obtain by placing Top 16 or higher at any major sponsored by Nintendo, that way nobody can complete the game and get all the trophies unless they place Top 16 at majors with all 50-80 characters.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
I don't think character-specific Target Test levels are too farfetched considering they're not working on two games at once.

I mean really, character-specific target test levels could be made in the stage creator. I really don't think time is an issue for the target test.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I don't remember any smash theme with the exception of Brawl, it is impossible for me to forget that beautiful theme.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'd be more okay with it if there was some variety or stroke of randomness in the modes. If I had to do some specific break the targets or the allstar matches are randomized, etc.

But everything feels so routine and monotonous. It's so focused on "beat this opponent-next round-beat this opponent-repeat until you beat the mode" that having to do it over and over bores me. Just my opinion though.
That's mostly why I think the solo modes could benefit from customizable features honestly, specifically Classic Mode.

Change the order you battle opponents in, change what kind of battles can be on what stages, etc.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
That's mostly why I think the solo modes could benefit from customizable features honestly, specifically Classic Mode.

Change the order you battle opponents in, change what kind of battles can be on what stages, etc.
That would be really cool. Make your own Classic Mode, customize your All-Star Mode. That can be fun.

I don't know if I see it as likely, but it is certainly something I'd like to see.

Nakamura

Smash Cadet
Getting a Chicken Sub and putting my suit on tomorrow, im ready for the gameplay reveal !

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I'm so hyped for this, I hope I'll be able to get some sleep. I have work tomorrow, and I don't wanna come in looking sleep-deprived.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Character-specific tests were removed as of Brawl. It's most likely due to the high number of characters than anything else.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Character-specific tests were removed as of Brawl. It's most likely due to the high number of characters than anything else.
Brawl also had the SSE, though. There is nothing currently known to be in Smash 5 thats’s at the scale of either the SSE or 2 versions of the same game... if there is something that big, we’ll likely find out tomorrow.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Aw but I liked the unique assets they used for character target tests.

Like how Mario and Donkey Kong have a red construction Donkey Kong arcade theme, Kirby Pikachu and Yoshi having a cutesy greenland theme, Fox, Samus, and Captain Falcon having a sci-fi theme etc.

And frankly, I would’ve loved to see what a Sonic themed target test would’ve looked like.

It can be a lot of work sure, but it’s fun to see many kinds of target stages.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of trophies, there should be exclusive trophies for each playable character that you can only obtain by placing Top 16 or higher at any major sponsored by Nintendo, that way nobody can complete the game and get all the trophies unless they place Top 16 at majors with all 50-80 characters.

Must've been something you said...

(100%ing smash from Melee onward is already a nightmare [stupid stickers and stupid gear...])

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't remember any smash theme with the exception of Brawl, it is impossible for me to forget that beautiful theme.
I only remember Brawl’s and Smash 4’s, with the only main themes I remember from 64 is the CSS theme and for Melee their menu theme
By tomorrow this will be everyone's thoughts

You’re not wrong...but Imma need to keep Microsoft as the side dish
Maybe it would be reasonable to break it up on bigger series? Fox and Falco can reasonably have the same stage, but Mario could get two or three that each have multiple routes for the characters that get them, e.g.
Mushroom Kingdom: :4mario::4luigi:
Bowser's Castle: :4bowser::4bowserjr:
...somewhere else: :4peach::4drmario:
S P A C E : :rosalina:
If there are already multiple Mario stages, I think it would make more sense to put Mario and Doc on different ones so there's more to do with each of them. Instances like Bowser's Castle can have things like tunnels to accomodate Jr's projectiles, and a target over a pit where Bowser is meant to use down special and Jr uses up special.
Ignoring that there will obviously be newcomers, I think all of the current cast could be well-served with a max of ~3 stages per series other than Mario.
Peach would be at the Mushroom Kingdom considering that’s her damn place (she may love Mario but she ain’t gonna let him take what’s hers)

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
How are you all picturing the gameplay? I am thinking of Smash 4 engine with graphics like the character trailers in Smash for Wii U, but I know that is way too good to be true for those graphics to be that good, but I really cannot think of an in between.

What do you all imagine?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
How are you all picturing the gameplay? I am thinking of Smash 4 engine with graphics like the character trailers in Smash for Wii U, but I know that is way too good to be true for those graphics to be that good, but I really cannot think of an in between.

What do you all imagine?
I can’t inagine a thing cause I’m too scared to

Nakamura

Smash Cadet

What do you all imagine?
im thinking the same.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

What do you all imagine?
I hope they keep the engine the same as Smash 4.

Don't fix what ain't broken.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759

What do you all imagine?
A part of me feels that since Nintendo is going out of their way to make the smash tournament be as competitive as possible, that it will be smash 4 graphics (but further enhanced) and faster gameplay inbetween melee and smash 4. This the the best case scenario imo.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Tomorrow will be so cool, because it's not just Smash 4 DLC or something like that, it's a new game!

Even showing Mario would be cool because he could have a new model or maybe have new moves, etc.
I want to know if the game is faster, if it has combos, the stages, the main theme, the modes and of course, the newcomers.

Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom