• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Heads up to anyone who can't see the direct live but doesn't want to be spoiled:

If you have a Reddit account, DM a user with the name u/directtoyoubot with the message, "!DirectToYou". This will trigger a bot to send you a direct link to the E3 conference video at 12 PM. That way you can get to the full direct without having to browse and risk getting spoiled.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I’m a bit slow today since i’m sick in bed but... wasn’t there a leak that confirmed this

https://youtu.be/765jJE7HjUA

Sorry if this already has been discussed
You're reffering to the leak that correctly got the online reveal date, and said Captain Toad, Crash and Spyro would be revealed.

They did mention a Sonic Racing game, but got the name wrong and also said characters would be running outside of cars which we haven't seen. They also said it would be revealed in Nintendo's E3 which it was actually announced a week or so ago.

They've gotten a lot wrong and barely got the online right in the first place, so it's nothing to really think about.

Oh crap that might be another point for vergeben I recall him saying something about a sonic racing game
Wrong leak, not Vergeben at all.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Heads up to anyone who can't see the direct live but doesn't want to be spoiled:

If you have a Reddit account, DM a user with the name u/directtoyoubot with the message, "!DirectToYou". This will trigger a bot to send you a direct link to the E3 conference video at 12 PM. That way you can get to the full direct without having to browse and risk getting spoiled.
Good guy Directbot. Do you think he could point me to RealLeakBot? I'm hungry for more.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Choosing Geno as a prediction was not an easy decision. I grew up playing Super Mario RPG on the Wii Virtual Console loving every second of the experience. I thought Geno was a very cool character back then and wanted him in Smash 4. That never happened. But, I was super astonished when Geno had his own Mii costume for Smash 4 DLC. I looked into the interview of Sakurai mentioning the story behind the Mii costume with him stating:

"Geno:

What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality."

I interpreted that comment as Square Enix being stingy about their properties. I thought he was not included because he was just a character from a one-off SNES game and never thought much about it since, slowly drifting away my hope for the puppet as time went on, never seriously considering him when it came to Smash Switch newcomer speculation. But, then I thought about critically. I thought about Vergeben's rumor of Simon Belmont and Ridley being in Smash as his info quickly became more legitimate at E3. What these two choices hold in common was that they were generally perceived as impossible due to many reasons such as Konami being a bad company, the harsh treatment of Kojima, and Sakurai stating two times in Brawl/Smash 4 that Ridley would be impossible.

Thinking hypothetically, if Sakurai went that far to implement these characters in Smash Switch, despite the very difficult obstacles, I personally believe Sakurai would go beyond the line and negotiate Geno from Square Enix yet again. What I theorize about Smash 4 DLC was that the production for it had a lower budget. The evidence pointing to this is Sakurai stating that they had a smaller team working on the DLC, noting that there were a smaller selection of songs to choose from (pointing out the Midgar FF7 stage having only two non-remixed songs), and Sakurai choosing to add the "most realizable and negotiable character" (Bayonetta) when it came to the Smash 4 ballot. I feel these budget constraints prevented Sakurai from negotiating beyond Cloud Strife for Smash 4 DLC, with the only affordable option left being to add Geno as a Mii costume.

Normally, I would say that Geno being a one-shot character and Square Enix being strict would damage his chance to be in Smash. But, I do not believe this to be an actual problem for Sakurai. He wanted Geno badly back in Brawl and Smash 4 because of his move-set potential, setting aside the fact that his appearance was one-time, being willing enough to get Geno as one of the only notable Mii costumes for Smash 4 DLC done for the fans. Considering that SMRPG was one of Square's biggest successes in history (with SMRPG selling as massively as the huge Tomb Raider/Final Fantasy games), I feel the company would be fine with the idea of SMRPG being represented in Smash. The belief that Square Enix would strike against the idea of Geno being playable is a huge overstatement.

Square would be willing to make business to make Geno in Smash a reality, if the budget for negotiating characters for Smash Bros. allows it. With the opportunity being possible thanks to Smash Switch likely being a higher budget game, this would finally have Sakurai realize Geno for Smash Switch. The 13 year-long journey of Sakurai wanting Geno as a playable fighter would close in pure satisfaction for him and the immense number of hardcore Geno supporters. I am banking that he will add Geno again, making a dream finally come true.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Not sure if I'll be able to see the Direct live yet. School work takes priority.

If not I'll just watch it later whenever I have enough free time. :p Either way I'm still very excited.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, in regards to the Vergeben leak, two newcomers were listed in the leak, Ridley and Simon Belmont, not counting Ice Climbers and Snake, since they are returning. Including Inklings, who should get revealed at E3, those three can't be the only newcomers we get in tomorrow's Direct if the leak is true, right?

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Well, in regards to the Vergeben leak, two newcomers were listed in the leak, Ridley and Simon Belmont, not counting Ice Climbers and Snake, since they are returning. Including Inklings, who should get revealed at E3, those three can't be the only newcomers we get in tomorrow's Direct if the leak is true, right?
Given Smash 5 is slated for 2018, I'm predicting more than just three characters will be at E3,

Either that or we're getting rapidfire reveals throughout the year.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, in regards to the Vergeben leak, two newcomers were listed in the leak, Ridley and Simon Belmont, not counting Ice Climbers and Snake, since they are returning. Including Inklings, who should get revealed at E3, those three can't be the only newcomers we get in tomorrow's Direct, right?
Vergeben has only said Ridley will be revealed at E3. Not Direct, E3. And no comment on the others. Watch out for connecting dots that aren't there. This is how leaks get misconstrued.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Vergeben has only said Ridley will be revealed at E3. Not Direct, E3. And no comment on the others. Watch out for connecting dots that aren't there. This is how leaks get misconstrued.
Whatever. He is going to get revealed, either way, provided this leak is true.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Sakurai revealing and playing Ridley is the final boss for the invitational.

That sounds ideal to me :p

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I know that each character will be tolerated, at some point in time, no matter how much I might disagree in advance, I will open up to them. In that topic of discussion, I'll do a rundown on each Newcomer of Smash 4, with the "first thought" and the "How I feel now" sort of explanations.

:4villager::4villagerf: Villagers;

FT: It just makes sense to see Villager in Smash. I just love New Leaf, so this makes me really glad.

HIFN: Still, love the idea, he plays like a troll, and is massive fun in game.

:4megaman: Mega Man;

FT: Mega Man? I guess that's cool. He is recognizable, and iconic. Don't care too much personally, but cool, he is in I guess.

HIFN: Mega Man is really unique, and I think he is quite fun to play. Underrated/Underused character amongst my friends.

:4wiifit::4wiifitm: Wii Fit Trainer;

FT: WHAT THE FIT!? WHY!? HOW!? IS THIS FOR REAL!?

HIFN: Cool. Not that I care too much, but I think the addition was an interesting one, and I will forever want Wii Fit Trainer to be in a future roster. She may never be cut !!!

:rosalina: Rosalina & Luma;

FT: Really!? THIS IS THE CHARACTER THEY CHOOSE FROM MARIO!? F ...

HIFN: She does have a unique moveset. The puppeteer thing is unique, and might appeal to some. She is perhaps my least used newcomer tho, but I repsect her inclusion.

:4littlemac: Little Mac;

FT: AWW YEAH, Finally someone I actually sort of want in Smash!

HIFN: I think he is really cool, sucks in air, but man is he powerful. I approve.

:4greninja: Greninja;

FT: WHAT!? I guess that's cool, but I was so sure it was Mewtwo ...

HIFN: Perhaps for some ey odd one out, but I guess he holds his charm. At least he does move differently, and could be interesting to use.

:4mii::4miif:Mii Fighters;

FT: The rumors where true ... Well. Honestly, don't give a ****.

HIFN: Well ... Still don't give a ****.

:4palutena: Palutena;

FT: Yes, this is a very solid inclusion which makes sense because of hype, history and could be fun.

HIFN: Really glad for her inclusion. Paves way for Medusa, maybe?

:4pacman: Pac-Man;

FT: HATERS WILL HATE, I WILL CELEBRATE. WOOHOO.

HIFN: Just like Villager, I feel Pac-Man is sort of a troll user, and is quite fun to use. I love the fact that he is playable, and I want it to expand.

:4robinm::4robinf: Robin;

FT: Now, I don't know what I expected, but at least it's not a blue haired swordsman, also like Villager female and male, cool.

HIFN: One of the best inclusions of Smash 4. He is unique, and plays the most differently from any swordfighter. GOOD CHOICE.

:4lucina: Lucina;

FT: Gees ... Another blue haired swordsman ... AT LEAST IT'S A GIRL.

HIFN: Love the fact that I got an alternative for Marth. That's cool. I like Marth, therefore, I like Lucina. Lucina is waifu.

:4shulk: Shulk;

FT: Guess the ESRB Leak is true. Saw people predicting him, but I don't know anything of Xeno something, so I guess it's cool? Another swordsman tho ...

HIFN: Awesome. I agree that Xenoblade deserved the spot, and I'm glad it has opened a way for a second Xenoblade character. Shulk's Monado power is unique, I approve.

:4bowserjr::4larry:Bowser Jr;

FT: Now, since the leak was true, we figured this would happen, but the KOOPALINGS? I'm so caught off guard ... Don't even know if I expected or wanted them at all ?! I'm confused.

HIFN: Interesting and unique moveset, but I could do without the Koopalings if that means Bowser Jr could be better. I still have Larry as my favourite alt after BowWow Jr.

:4duckhunt: Duck Hunt Duo;

FT: YES, YES, YES, YES. I LOVE IT. That one guy who believed in him on Smashboards will be satisfied, and I dig the inclusion too.

HIFN: Still love the epicness of this character, and think it's unique.

:4darkpit: Dark Pit;

FT: So him in the trailer of Palutena was a low-key confirmation? Don't really know how I feel, Pit is too redundent. I don't even like Pit.

HIFN: Dark Pit is so much better than Pit. I support Pittoo.

:4ryu: Ryu;

FT: ****, MY BROTHER WAS RIGHT ?! (After the Ballot, and the trailers where to come, my younger brother at about 11 years old, said Ryu from Street Fighter would be a good inclusion ... I thought that would never happen because of Mega Man, oh boy)

HIFN: I really enjoy Ryu, perhaps one of my most liked 3rd Parties in this game. I like the SF series from before, so he was easy to use.

:4cloud::4cloud2: Cloud Strife;

FT: CLOUD STRIFE!? ... How boring. Damn you Final Fantasyyyyy.

HIFN: Well, he is iconic, and it does pave way for Geno. Plus, I do like how he plays, but he was the last character I got, which made him the "new" kid.

:4corrin::4corrinf: Corrin;

FT: Another Fire Emblem character for the Ballot? Kill me ... KILL ME NOW!

HIFN: The Dragon moves are interesting, and he is not a bad character at all. I guess he is alright.

:4bayonetta2::4bayonetta: Bayonetta;

FT: WHAT THE BAYO!? I did not know she was that huge ... I mean, even Bomberman is bigger than her, isn't it?

HIFN: Makes a lot of sense that she made it inn. She was voted the most likely in the ballot, and her moveset is actually pretty fun. I'm happy we have both Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 alt. Even if I've never played the game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Probably not. E3 is the best place to reveal someone, so I'd be surprised if we didn't get at least one new character from one of Nintendo's AAA franchises.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's possible. Bill said in that interview that they will still have surprises to come up until release so they could be saving the reveals.

But if this game has around the same number of newcomers as the last couple, we will be seeing a lot of reveals in a short span of time, which is really exciting.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Melee's and PM's were done in a single work day, while Smash 4's was a lot and took about a week, I have this image to give an idea of how many matches:
Wow... you have an unusual amount of patience, my friend... haha that's awesome!

Regarding character reveals: I would be totally down for just 1 new character and 1 veteran reveal per month.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
So, how will you guys be watching tomorrows livestream? Will you be watching the stream of a commentator or youtuber you like (someone like Etika), or just the vanilla Nintendo stream? Just curious as to how you guys plan on experiencing it.
I'll watch the official stream on Youtube, then in another moment I'll watch guys like Etika to watch their reactions lol.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Actually they can. We only got three the day they announced Smash 4. The release dade is closer indeed, but we don't even know how many newcomers we will have... so three is indeed a possibility. I would not be disappointed if we only got thpse three.

But I expect 5.

D

Deleted member

Melee's and PM's were done in a single work day, while Smash 4's was a lot and took about a week, I have this image to give an idea of how many matches:

Wow, you must of worked really hard on that video. Roughly 5935 matches ( not counting the losses that are not because of the "Luigi survives by absolutely doing nothing" part ). That takes a lot of effort, you deserve those 3.58 million views.
Also no Luigis were harmed in the process of making the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Whatever. He is going to get revealed, either way, provided this leak is true.
Yes, but, Verg isn't the only one who has whispered about Ridley. Should one of those other characters not be present, people are just going to assume Verg was full of it. Even though he never said they would be. Because that's how things work.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Actually they can. We only got three the day they announced Smash 4. The release dade is closer indeed, but we don't even know how many newcomers we will have... so three is indeed a possibility. I would not be disappointed if we only got thpse three.

But I expect 5.
Just so you know, not trying to be hostile, I didn't mean they absolutely can't do just three and just three wasn't possible. I was just stating a question. That is all. Just wanted to clear that up.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yes, but, Verg isn't the only one who has whispered about Ridley. Should one of those other characters not be present, people are just going to assume Verg was full of it. Even though he never said they would be. Because that's how things work.
Verge said the jump fight thing and smash stuff is the same source

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

But I expect 5.
If it took more than two years for Sakurai to make five newcomers, then we better have the best darn single-player mode to ever grace Smash.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
We might get a E3 roundtable reveal after the tournament like pacman

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
With Sakurai, always expect the unexpected, I thoroughly am not expecting Krystal to make the base game, but I could be wrong
Yeah, there were unexpected things in Smash 4, both base roster and DLC. I am expecting something unexpected for Smash 5, or a few things unexpected as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Verge said the jump right thing and smash stuff is the same source
Not everyone cares for first-hand information from the source. One loud voice reports the entire leaks as fake or a "lucky guess" gematsu-style, because one aspect got misinterpreted - such as Verg claiming all five of those characters would be revealed - and should those incorrect claims not pan out, you're combatting misinformation for months.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Just so you know, not trying to be hostile, I didn't mean they absolutely can't do just three and just three wasn't possible. I was just stating a question. That is all. Just wanted to clear that up.
Did I word it in a way that made you feel you sounded hostile? I did not think you did lol. I didn't mean to sound hostile as well lol. Sorry dude.
I just answered the question.

The thing about online communication: we never know how one may want to sound.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Did I word it in a way that made you feel you sounded hostile? I did not think you did lol. I didn't mean to sound hostile as well lol. Sorry dude.
I just answered the question.

The thing about online communication: we never know how one may want to sound.
I was just saying the "hostile" part just in case. No hard feelings. It's okay. I knew you weren't angry at me or saying something that would make me feel I sounded hostile, by the way.

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn

Choosing Geno as a prediction was not an easy decision. I grew up playing Super Mario RPG on the Wii Virtual Console loving every second of the experience. I thought Geno was a very cool character back then and wanted him in Smash 4. That never happened. But, I was super astonished when Geno had his own Mii costume for Smash 4 DLC. I looked into the interview of Sakurai mentioning the story behind the Mii costume with him stating:

"Geno:

What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality."

I interpreted that comment as Square Enix being stingy about their properties. I thought he was not included because he was just a character from a one-off SNES game and never thought much about it since, slowly drifting away my hope for the puppet as time went on, never seriously considering him when it came to Smash Switch newcomer speculation. But, then I thought about critically. I thought about Vergeben's rumor of Simon Belmont and Ridley being in Smash as his info quickly became more legitimate at E3. What these two choices hold in common was that they were generally perceived as impossible due to many reasons such as Konami being a bad company, the harsh treatment of Kojima, and Sakurai stating two times in Brawl/Smash 4 that Ridley would be impossible.

Thinking hypothetically, if Sakurai went that far to implement these characters in Smash Switch, despite the very difficult obstacles, I personally believe Sakurai would go beyond the line and negotiate Geno from Square Enix yet again. What I theorize about Smash 4 DLC was that the production for it had a lower budget. The evidence pointing to this is Sakurai stating that they had a smaller team working on the DLC, noting that there were a smaller selection of songs to choose from (pointing out the Midgar FF7 stage having only two non-remixed songs), and Sakurai choosing to add the "most realizable and negotiable character" (Bayonetta) when it came to the Smash 4 ballot. I feel these budget constraints prevented Sakurai from negotiating beyond Cloud Strife for Smash 4 DLC, with the only affordable option left being to add Geno as a Mii costume.

Normally, I would say that Geno being a one-shot character and Square Enix being strict would damage his chance to be in Smash. But, I do not believe this to be an actual problem for Sakurai. He wanted Geno badly back in Brawl and Smash 4 because of his move-set potential, setting aside the fact that his appearance was one-time, being willing enough to get Geno as one of the only notable Mii costumes for Smash 4 DLC done for the fans. Considering that SMRPG was one of Square's biggest successes in history (with SMRPG selling as massively as the huge Tomb Raider/Final Fantasy games), I feel the company would be fine with the idea of SMRPG being represented in Smash. The belief that Square Enix would strike against the idea of Geno being playable is a huge overstatement.

Square would be willing to make business to make Geno in Smash a reality, if the budget for negotiating characters for Smash Bros. allows it. With the opportunity being possible thanks to Smash Switch likely being a higher budget game, this would finally have Sakurai realize Geno for Smash Switch. The 13 year-long journey of Sakurai wanting Geno as a playable fighter would close in pure satisfaction for him and the immense number of hardcore Geno supporters. I am banking that he will add Geno again, making a dream finally come true.
I've said it on the Geno support thread, but I'll say it again: if Geno gets into smash, I'm getting a tattoo of him. That being said, I am not getting my hopes up.

kylexv

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure I said this a month or so ago, but all I want from this new Smash Bros. is a roster that will blow all other rosters out of the water and surprise me.

...and more diverse and fun single-player content

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'll watch the official stream on Youtube, then in another moment I'll watch guys like Etika to watch their reactions lol.
I expect a LOT of f-bombs being dropped by Etika. Would watch him drop them like crazy

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Interesting observation i made a few years ago

E3 2014:
Character revealed that can be customized in original game and choose between 2 genders :4villager::4villagerf:

Character revealed unexpected because revealed after the direct after smash had been discussed: :4wiifit:

Character revealed 3rd Party: :4megaman:

E3 2014:

Character that was customizable in original game and can choose between 2 genders: :4mii::4miif:

Character revealed but unexpected since it was at the very end of the direct even after smash was already discussed: :4palutena:

Character reveal is a 3rd party: :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom