• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash stories or reasons why you like this community.

Vts

Smash Champion
So figured it would be nice to read some stories of why you enjoy this community or smash stories. I have a couple so i'll post one.

So going back to on 2007 when first started playing melee still didn't have a main I went to a friends apartment. His AC was broke and we were getting drunk playing smash. At some point we were like screw it, taking pants off it's too hot in here, everyone takes pants off. Was my turn to play, so friend gets call like 10s into game, answer it's his girlfriend at the time. We play for 5m roughly and he's just "yeah, okay, that's good, nice, oh really" on the phone with her, as soon as match ends he says "I'm sorry can you repeat the last 5m I wasn't really listening". She hangs up and then comes over to see 4 guys in boxers drunk playing video games, she's wearing these skin tight jeans and low cut shirt. Friend kind of ignores her and she is just trying her hardest to get his attention. Night ends when we all sober up and friend goes with GF to do stuff.

Good times.

I'll update with my story of meeting chillindude/milkman/doll/azen later and how good this community truly is.

During the Summer of 2010 or 2011, I didn't have a job. SypherPhoenix and a few friends went to Chipotle for dinner during a fest and I didn't have any money. He bought me a burrito. It was a burrito of friendship and it was delicious

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I've had Melee since 2003 and have known about the competitive scene since 2010-ish. /*Then, in 2012,*/ my friend's brother demolished my Falco with Gannondorf and I figured out that being the best in my friend group is NOT being the best in the world), but when I went to my first tournament (UNC Fall Gamefest 2014), it was probably one of the coolest environments I have ever been in. Me and my friends just smashed with people that love the game as much as we do, got to meet some really good players (like Dr. PP, Stingers, Archbishop, etc.) and met some new friends. I got destroyed, but I still had a terrific time and learned a lot. To me, this community is almost as much about the players as it is the game. You don't really find that many other places.

/*EDIT*/

Last edited:

Datnero

Smash Rookie
I've been following the competitive community for almost 3 years now, but TBH4 was my first major tournament I went to. I wasn't expecting much, just to play friendlies until I dropped dead and try not to lose every single set in my pool. However...

1. Met a very awesome group of guys from Minnesota. I ended up ditching the people I actually went to the tournament to hang out with the MN guys for the vast majority of the weekend. Jwill, Brandon, Nick, Nick, John, Melby, or Bryan, if you're reading this, hit me up!

2. Ended up in Hugs' room and got schwasted with Lucky, Hugs and Mango. He gave me a subscriber wristband even though I wasn't subscribed to him. DJ Nintendo, The Moon (<3) and TKBreezy were there too.

3. Played friendlies with Prof Pro, Darkrain, and Toph. Darkrain was really helpful, and Toph made me feel so damn good. I ate his recovery with a counter (what I thought to be very basic Marth tech) and heard him say "Oh, nice!"

4. Ended up going to McDonalds with Zer0. I caught him talking to Armada before top 8, and after Armada left, he asked N0ne (also a very cool guy) and I if we wanted to go to McDonalds with him real quick. We accepted and he told us to go wait in the lobby, and that he had to grab something out of his room. N0ne and I go wait for about 10 minutes before we decided that top 8 was more important than McDonalds, so we went back up to watch. During I believe MangovArmada, Zer0 walked past me and I asked if we were still going, and he said, "Yah, let's go!" So we walk across the street to McDs, talking about his performance in top 8, and when we get there, the lobby is closed. He takes it upon himself to walk around to the drivethrough window and begin knocking on it. The guy looks at us like we're insane, and tells us that we can just go to the first window to order. The ladies at the first window recognize him and ask about his tournament. We ordered our food, and when I tried to pull my wallet out, he said "Nah, I got it, don't worry."
This is where it gets storyworthy.
We get our food, and upon checking it, my food isn't in the bag. So, we wait for the car behind us to pull away, and cut in line in front of the next one. I ask for my food, and take a step back. Zer0 is standing on the sidewalk up near the door. In the car behind us is 2 women. One nice old lady, couldn't have been more than 70. One cryptkeeper looking lady, who must have been alive to have to worry about the black plague, with a look on her face that could send a Marine reeling. So, this dirt old lady, seemingly upset that us two young punks are cutting the line, FLIPS ZERO THE BIRD. STRAIGHT TO HIS FACE. Was the funniest thing that happened all weekend.

5. Hax$ gave me his coffee. Thanks Hax.

TBH4 was easily the best weekend of my entire life thus far. I still can't believe I was lucky enough to have it be my first national tournament, because a lot of people seem to agree that it was one of the best tournaments ever. I don't know how it could, but I'm hoping APEX can at least hold a candle to it. The way people at the tournament treated me was unbelievable. I got the feeling that if I needed something, a vast majority of the people there would have bent over backwards to help me. Everybody was so cool, and amicable, and even the more popular players that I tried to talk to were very personable, and clearly having a good time (other than one unnamed person, who very nearly ruined my weekend). There isn't anything quite like spending a weekend with ~1000 other people who are there simply to play a video game that they all have in common. TBH4 made me realize that Smash is going to be a part of my life for a long, long time.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
Probably my fav smash related memory
When I went up to N.C with some others for a brawl tournament back in 2009 the tournament had like 30 min before it was going to start. We went to a chick fila close to the tournament and I ordered an ice dream while we talked about the smash brothers tournament.

My icedream comes out and its like 3-4 times taller than the usual icedream is. Huge tower of icecream. Turns out the ppl working on my order were in on the tournament and were about to get off and go themselves and they treated us.

Last edited:

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
Oh geez, my best smash related memory has to be the first time that I saw/played melee.

I went over to a family friends house when I was like 7 and they had a son who was playing gamecube. This was also my first time ever seeing a gamecube, at the time I had an N64 and a PS1. Smash 64 was one of my favourite games and I freaked out when I found out there was a sequel! We played melee for hours and I was absolutely blown away by everything in it. Captain falcon was even better and faster xD and it had mewtwo!!!!

That was the day that my love for melee was born and I'll never forget it :awesome:

Top Bottom