• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Starting on the NES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
A new game I'm starting!
Here's the basics: 8 people will be putting up rosters of characters they think would have been in Smash if it took place on that said system on a certain year. Four other judges and I will rate the rosters. Whoever wins will return as the champion for the next system and make a roster for that system as well. We will have a tournament grid.
Rules:
1. DON'T SPAM!!
2. Post rosters with those you think WOULD get in, not those you would have WANTED.
3. Rosters with characters that did not exist at the time will not be excepted.

Judges: KingShadow, BigAxle, BridgesWithTurtles, Keybladeguy, lonekonwolf
Competitors: ThatWasPeachy, Tepig2000, Tetra's Tracker, Guybrush20X6, Fortanono, chaoswaflez04, Arcadenik, ScatmansWorld25
Spots for competitors and judges are closed!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'd totally love to be a judge!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What about third parties?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
You can add them, but you're not likely to win if you do, at least until the N64 era. :p
Though back in the NES era, there were characters like Simon Belmont and Megaman on Nintendo consoles. Options will be limited.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Alas, the only time period where Kraid would be equally viable as Ridley for Smash, going by their NES sprites.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'll enter.

Assuming that the game is the last game released for the console though. That way I'll have the widest assortment of characters available.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Little Update: For characters, we're assuming that the whole library of characters is usable for that Console Generation.
Additionally, Shadow, I was thinking the Generations could be like this:
-NES + Game Boy
-SNES
-N64 + Game Boy Color
-GCN + GBA
-Wii + DS
-Wii U + 3DS

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Interesting question...

This pic here (bonus screen from the NES Tetris) pretty much sums up who were Nintendo's biggest stars at the time:

Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus and Pit would probably be a given. That would probably have been it, a diverse 6 character roster for an 8-bit console would've been pretty impressive. If there were any more then they could just've thrown Bowser and Peach in, I doubt the developers would be that concerned about over-repping Mario.

Kirby I'd rule out, by the time his first game came around the SNES was out. I'd like to think Little Mac would have the biggest chance of getting in, Punch Out was a very strong brand for Nintendo at the time. Takamaru, Ninten, characters from Famicom Fairytales/Detective Club and Marth were stars in their own right, but their Japanese exclusiveness would possibly scupper their chances. Beyond that, there is a slew of 'black box' Nintendo characters to choose from - Balloon Fighter; Bubbles; Ice Climbers; Excitebiker; Tamagon, to name a few, but it's hard to determine which one stands out enough to deserve a spot.

I'll go for this, I'd like to add more characters, but his is what I think is the most realistic:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wanna play too.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
So, will the first round be Specifically the NES Era?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What would you say a reasonable roster size is?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Reasonable roster size is anywhere from 6-15. The NES has it's limits.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok then, here's my no-third party NES roster with 6 starters and 2 unlockables.

If it was released near the end of the NES's cycle and Hal was still making it I'd say Kirby would be in, albeit without hats as this was before Super Star. And DKJR as opposed to his old man because I think he'd be seen as a boss type character.

Limitations:
No-One has grabs except Kirby's swallow
Camera is static
Due to Limitations no mirror matches are allowed.
No alt colours
Luigi's only two differences are his anti-gravity fireball and Super Jump Punch
Shield is activated by pressing down

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Also keep in mind that the N64 had trouble handling more than 12, so a 15-character roster on an NES Smash Bros. would probably require much simpler gameplay, probably with far less attacks than we're used to seeing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If "Smash Bros." came out on the NES on November 21, 1989 (one full year before the SNES came out in Japan), I think there would be only 8 playable characters at that time due to limited memory size. The characters I think would probably be in the roster are:

Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
Luigi (Super Mario Bros.)
Donkey Kong Jr. (Donkey Kong Classics)
Link (The Legend of Zelda)
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Samus (Metroid)
Pit (Kid Icarus)
Little Mac (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!)

For the SNES sequel called "Super Smash Bros." on June 23, 1995 (one full year before the N64 came out in Japan), there might be 16 playable characters at that time... the 8 veterans return along with the 8 newcomers who might be:

Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Peach (Super Mario All-Stars)
Toad (Wario's Woods)
Marth (Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem)
Yoshi (Super Mario World)
Kirby (Kirby's Adventure)
Wario (Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3)
Ness (EarthBound)

Then the N64 sequel titled "Super Smash Bros. 64" is basically a revamp so it cuts half of the roster... and due to complaints about too much focus on Mario characters and lack of new franchises, it basically keeps Mario, Luigi, Link, and Samus from the first game and Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, and Ness from the second game and adds 4 newcomers who are:

Fox (Star Fox 64)
Captain Falcon (F-Zero X)
Pikachu (Pokemon Red & Blue)
Jigglypuff (Pokemon Red & Blue)

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
If "Smash Bros." came out on the NES on November 21, 1989 (one full year before the SNES came out in Japan), I think there would be only 8 playable characters at that time due to limited memory size. The characters I think would probably be in the roster are:

Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
Luigi (Super Mario Bros.)
Donkey Kong Jr. (Donkey Kong Classics)
Link (The Legend of Zelda)
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
Samus (Metroid)
Pit (Kid Icarus)
Little Mac (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!)

For the SNES sequel called "Super Smash Bros." on June 23, 1995 (one full year before the N64 came out in Japan), there might be 16 playable characters at that time... the 8 veterans return along with the 8 newcomers who might be:

Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Peach (Super Mario All-Stars)
Toad (Wario's Woods)
Marth (Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem)
Yoshi (Super Mario World)
Kirby (Kirby's Adventure)
Wario (Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3)
Ness (EarthBound)

Then the N64 sequel titled "Super Smash Bros. 64" is basically a revamp so it cuts half of the roster... and due to complaints about too much focus on Mario characters and lack of new franchises, it basically keeps Mario, Luigi, Link, and Samus from the first game and Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, and Ness from the second game and adds 4 newcomers who are:

Fox (Star Fox 64)
Captain Falcon (F-Zero X)
Pikachu (Pokemon Red & Blue)
Jigglypuff (Pokemon Red & Blue)
Sadly you're too late. Unless if someone else wants to join, we'll have to include you next round.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Reasonable roster size is anywhere from 6-15. The NES has it's limits.
Actually, it was possible to have over 30 characters on a NES as shown in Joy Mech Fight. But the catch was that game had a very gnarly case of clone characters, which again might be because of limitations with the hardware.

So if you wanted a game with distinctive characters, 8 is generally the safest bet. Also keep in mind that some ideas, like Ice Climbers, would of been impossible.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
NES Smash Roster.png

My roster. The first four are starters and the bottom ones are the unlockables. I included retro DK instead of the "normal" one because at the time he was a different character. He was an evil monkey that kidnapped girls. Now he is a monkey that lives in a three-house and has a family.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Just so everyone knows:
Round 1: Guybrush20X6 VS Tetra's Tracker
Round 2: Fortanono VS ThatWasPeachy
Round 3: chaoswaflez04 VS Tepig2000
Round 4: Arcadenik VS ScatmansWorld25
Whoever wins the first 4 rounds will go on to the final round.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Actually, it was possible to have over 30 characters on a NES as shown in Joy Mech Fight. But the catch was that game had a very gnarly case of clone characters, which again might be because of limitations with the hardware.

So if you wanted a game with distinctive characters, 8 is generally the safest bet. Also keep in mind that some ideas, like Ice Climbers, would of been impossible.
I was working myself, I landed a roster of 10 characters: 8 being starters, 2 being bosses. Yeah, I remembered Joy Mech Fight, I really don't count it because HALF OF THE CAST WERE COPIES OF EACH OTHER!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Just so everyone knows:
Round 1: Guybrush20X6 VS Tetra's Tracker
Round 2: Fortanono VS ThatWasPeachy
Round 3: chaoswaflez04 VS Tepig2000
Round 4: Arcadenik VS ScatmansWorld25
Whoever wins the first 4 rounds will go on to the final round.
How did you decide the match-ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom