• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Lab Standard Terms List

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Scotu said:
Researching
Frame {A single iterative time step of the game. Melee and Brawl both run at 60 Frames per Second. Fundamental Timing unit of the game}
Frame # (#F) {A way to indicate that something occurs # Frames from the start of the frame breakdown - i.e. the beginning of the attack}
Frame Data {any breakdown describing when certain things happen in relation to other things using the Frame as the time unit}
Frame Advantage {Number of frames someone who attacks someone else's shield is able to act before the shielder}
Autocancel #1 #2 {the attack autocancels if the character lands before #1 frames of the move has finished, or after #2 frames of the move have finished}
Who can I ask about frame specific questions?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Who can I ask about frame specific questions?
Anyone you want, it's a forum. However, only people who know the answer to your questions could give you worthwhile answers. If you've got a question about something on this list, just ask here; otherwise, ask questions about specific characters on the character boards, or general questions in the Q&A sticky in this forum.

You have Dashing Usmash listed twice, you should merge the descriptions.
there will be much clean upping by the second official release.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
In brawl, Frame advantage is almost always negative. The term exists to describe how safe attacks are on block (and exists from many other fighting games before brawl), but since brawl has ridiculous shield mechanics, frame advantage is negative on pretty much every attack.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Isn't Sangbagging the same as a sex kick? I totally remember sangbaggin in Melee as when you do a neutral air with Fox or Falco, and you fastfall it, it'll do like 8% instead of 12%. That's sangbagging right...? Isn't that the same as a sex kick?

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Sangbagging the same as a sex kick? I totally remember sangbaggin in Melee as when you do a neutral air with Fox or Falco, and you fastfall it, it'll do like 8% instead of 12%. That's sangbagging right...? Isn't that the same as a sex kick?

I believe the correct way to explain sandbagging would be more like "Pretending". Sandbagging refers to acting like a total noob before a/n important fight(s). Its basically being a noob but then actually bein super skilled.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
most accurately, sandbagging is just messing around instead of playing seriously. Don't have to play like a noob, but you're definitely just messing around.

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
You have grab armour but not Super armour? Some noobs might not even know what super armour is unless they played a mmbn game.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Super armor: Frame during which the character is unaffected by the knockback of a move. He becomes immovable so to speak.

Heavy Armor: Frames during which the character is RESISTANT to knockback. At a certain limit heavy armor can be broken and the character sent flying through the air going NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Grab armor: Same as super armor, it appears only when a grab has been successfully performed. Olimar is the only exemption to this.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Heavy Armor: Frames during which the character is RESISTANT to knockback. At a certain limit heavy armor can be broken and the character sent flying through the air going NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
This is not entirely accurate. Heavy armor simply reduces knockback by a set amount. If the final knockback is less than or equal to 0, then it is treated as though there is no knockback or hitstun (like Fox laser). An attack just barely strong enough to break it would actually send the character nowhere but interrupt whatever he was doing.

EXAMPLE: Hit Yoshi out of his second jump with something just strong enough to break it with outward knockback. Yoshi would be hit out of his second jump but would just start falling because there was next to no knockback remaining after breaking the armor.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Why this was never stuck, I'll never know. *Sticks*

Blissard

Smash Lord
Grab armor: Same as super armor, it appears only when a grab has been successfully performed. Olimar is the only exemption to this.
I believe it's called Launch Resistance...

And an unimportant thing to point out, I think that the acronym DAHCUS on your list is usually just spelled DACUS (dash attack cancelled up smash).

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I believe it's called Launch Resistance...

And an unimportant thing to point out, I think that the acronym DAHCUS on your list is usually just spelled DACUS (dash attack cancelled up smash).
DACUS is used to refer to a boost smash.

Top Bottom