• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Lab Standard Terms List

SCOTU

Smash Hero
As a Smash researching community, it is our responsibility to define a rigid set of terms to unify smash language to make it more precise to discuss smash. For instance, if we were researching math, and I used the word "plus" and you used the word "obligation" for the same definition, we wouldn't get very far. This is an attempt to unify our speech to more quickly understand the game.

General/Tournaments
Super Smash Bros. 64/Melee/Brawl (SSB[64/M/B) {...}
Tourney {Tournament}
Advanced Technique (AT) {a technique Nintendo has not told us how to do}
Space Animals {Fox, Falco, Wolf; They're Animals... FROM SPACE}
John {Excuse; see: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=79482 )
Mindgames {roughly: out-thinking your opponent. Don't use this term except in a joking/ sarcastic fashion.}
Sex Kick {Aerial with a long lasting hitbox and very little (if any) change in animation)
Metagame {The total sum of knowledge on a topic at it's highest level}
Lag {Time during an action where your character is vulnerable; i.e. startup/ cooldown of an attack}
Lag (network) {choppy connection that results in sub-par frame rates}
Lag (TV) {time it takes a TV to draw a signal. Has the same effects as Input Delay}
Bracket {Organizational structure of a tournament}
Single Elimination {Style of bracket where if you lose one set, you're eliminated from the bracket}
Double Elimination {Style of bracket where a player must lose two sets before being eliminated from the bracket; SBR Standard}
Pools {Section of a tourney for round robin play to eliminate people to make a smaller bracket; used to properly seed brackets[/b]
Game {a single normal round of smash}
Set (a.k.a. Match) {A best of # group of games; typically a best of 3 or best of 5}
Counterpick (CP) {Choosing the stage or your character for the next game in a set}
Smash Back Room (SBR) {group of the best players/ metagamers on Smashboards}
Out of State (OoS) {someone from a different state; Not to be confused with Out of Shield (OoS)}

Researching
Frame {A single iterative time step of the game. Melee and Brawl both run at 60 Frames per Second. Fundamental Timing unit of the game}
Frame # (#F) {A way to indicate that something occurs # Frames from the start of the frame breakdown - i.e. the beginning of the attack}
Frame Data {any breakdown describing when certain things happen in relation to other things using the Frame as the time unit}
Frame Advantage {Number of frames someone who attacks someone else's shield is able to act before the shielder}
Autocancel #1 #2 {the attack autocancels if the character lands before #1 frames of the move has finished, or after #2 frames of the move have finished}

Melee And Brawl
Turn Around Neutral B (Reverse Neutral B) {in the air, tap back, then neutral B; turns your neutral b around}
Boost Grab {interrupting the initial frames of a dash attack with a grab; can be used for extra momentum}
Dash {the initial section of a run}
Fox Trotting {Starting a new dash at the end of your dash window}
Jump Cancel (JC) usmash/Up-B {During the jump startup, usmash or up b; does a grounded usmash/up b}
Pivot Grab {melee: pivot into a grab; brawl: hit back then grab: performs a special reverse grab}
Auto Cancel {landing while during a specific window on an attack resulting in only normal landing lag}
Meteor Cancel {canceling momentum of a Meteor Smash}
Shield Canceling {shield to stop running}
De-sync [ICs] {having the ICs do separate things or with separate timings}
Rising Pound [jiggs] {Jiggs' upward angled side b}
Missile Canceling [Samus]{landing right after shooting a missle with samus}
Short Hop (SH) {releasing the jump command before leaving the ground; shorter jump}
FastFall (FF) {pressing down on the way down while in normal aerial control; fall faster}
Shield Grabbing {grabbing out of shield}
Teching {pressing R before being slammed into a surface; cuts knockback/ stands up fast}
Edge Hogging {being on the edge preventing someone else from being on it}
Edge Hopping (aka Ledge Hopping){dropping from the edge, then air jumping back to the stage}
Edge Jumping (aka Ledge Jumping) {Jumping off of the edge by pressing a Jump input while on the edge}
Dash Dancing {dashing one way, then the other during dash}
Hitlag {The freeze frames shared by the hitter and hittee of an attack after hit, but before the hittee is sent flying}
Hitstun {The window which someone sent flying can take no actions in}
Directional Influence (DI) {Bending the trajectory of knockback by holding the control stick in a perpendicular to knockback position during the last frame of hitlag; "DI" ONLY applies to the bending of knockback while being hit, not while moving your character through the air}
Smash DI (SDI) {Pressing the control stick during hitlag to give you an instantaneous small teleport}
Automatic Smash DI (ASDI) {Holding a direction during the last frame of hitlag with either stick - c stick has priority - to generate a teleport 1/2 SDI length in the direction held}
Drifting {Holding sideways in the air while under control of your character to cause it to move more left or right; NOT DI}
Tumble {The window which someone sent flying can take an action in, but is still falling}
Blockstun {The window which a shielder is stuck in shield after the shield is hit NOT COUNTING HITLAG}
Powershield {Shielding only a few frames before an attack would hit you and getting the different shield}
Short Hop (optional]Double/ triple) Laser (SH[D/T]L) [Fox, Falco, Wolf]
Float Cancel [Peach]{dropping out of a float to the ground to end an aerial; normal landing lag in Melee}
Needle Canceling [Sheik] {pressing R to cancel charging needles on sheik}
Shield Dropping {on a platform out of your shield, slowly press down to drop through the platform, from directly in your shield}
Jump Cancel _____ (JC _____) {canceling your jump with ______}
Jump Canceling (no abbrv) {canceling something with a jump}
Bomb Jump [samus] {receiving a vertical boost from a down b exploasion (samus only)}
Zair {an aerial done using the grab button that is not a nair, fair, dair, bair, or uair}
Tether Recovery [anyone with a zair] {brawl: autosweetspots the edge - fails if edgehogged; Melee can grab the wall anywhere and doesn't afraid of anything}
Walljump [several characters] {Jumping off a wall; does not take a midair jump}
Sweetspot {grabbing the edge directly out of your recovery, removing the ending animation; alternatively, grabbing the edge from max range; when referencing a part of an attack, the hitbox that has the most effect}
Grab Release {when a grabee breaks out of a grab}
Chain Grab (CG) {Grabbing a character just thrown before their hitstun ends}
Out of Shield (OoS) {performing an action from in your shield}

Brawl
Platform Auto Snap {Pressing down when passing through a moving platform to automatically land on it}
B-Reversal {smash back immediately after doing a special; turns you around in some specials}
B Bouncing (BB) {using momentum from a momentum generating special to push you}
Boost [Smashing/Item Throwing/Pivot Grab] (replaces the term DAC/ DACUS){Immediately canceling a dash attack by either a usmash, throwing an item, or pivot grabbing; slides various distances}
Craq Walking {Drifting backwards and taking a single step backwards when landing to gain a momentum slide}
Glide Toss {throwing an item in the early part of a roll; ends the roll with momentum}
Jump Cancel (JC) Item Throw {canceling a jump with an item throw; generates momentum}
Platform Drop Cancel {begin dropping through a platform put up your shield; end in standing shield position on the platform}
Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) {run, turn around, jump; in the air facing opposite how you were running, with momentum in the direction of your run}
Edge Popping {holding down to avoid sweetspot}
Grab Armor (Armor Grab) {The superarmor received while you are grabbing, on the frame you grabbed them}
AirWalk {run off the edge, and walk back onto it}
Crawl Dashing {walk forward, start crawling back; slide backwards}
Jab Lock {locking someone in a fallen state with jabs}
Stutter Stepping {using the window for pressing sideways for an fsmash to dash a bit then fsmash}
Dribbling {glide tossing downward to generate different movement}
Infinite Second Jump (ISJ) ?better term? {performing a double jump right before landing with certain aerials or specials; instead of landing, you double jump, refreshes double jump}
Dashing Usmash {doing a usmash directly out of dash}
Dash Attack Hit Cancel Up Smash (DAHCUS) {cancels a dash attack immediately into a usmash after hit; only in early part of dash attack}
Edge Hugging (Hugging) {running off the edge, and immediately grabbing it by holding back}
Instant Pivot Grab {inputting dashgrabcstick back; performs a pivot grab very quickly}
Dashing Usmash {pressing up C to perform a usmash out of run/dash}
Input Delay {Built in time it takes your input to take effect when playing on Wifi}

Melee
Jump Cancel Grab (JC grab) {canceling the startup of a jump into a standing grab}
L cancel {pressing L/R/Z within 6 frames of landing with an aerial to cut landing lag in half}
SHFFL {Short Hop aerial Fast Fall L cancel}
Wavelanding {air dodging into the ground to generate a momentum slide}
Wavedashing {wavelanding immediately after leaving the ground}
Waveshining {wavedashing out of a shine}
Waveshield {wavedashing out of a shield}
Dash Canceling {pressing down to cancel a dash into a crouch}
Pivot {making use of the single standing frame during the turnaround of a dash dance}
Crouch Canceling {crouching when being hit to reduce knockback, hitstun, and launch angle}
Pillaring {shield pressure technique of multiple iterations of an aerial into a shine}
Moon Walking {input back at the start of a dash w/o centering the control stick to generate backwards momentum}
Double Jump Cancel (DJC) {canceling your second jump with an aerial; select characters only}

Depreciated

SHAD (Short Hop Air Dodge) - this doesn't need to be a term and is no way resembling an AT
Shellshifting {squirtle running turn around}
Dash Pivot Cancel {IASA turn around lag; slide w/ an attack opposite your movement}
Snakedashing {using snake's Boost Usmash}
DACUS (no dash attack hit) {replaced by "Boost Usmash"}
DLX Hit Cancel {replaced by DAHCUS}
Hyphen Smash {replaced by "Dashing Usmash"}

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The proper term is "PK Jibaku," not "PK Thunder 2." That's a fan-made name. You brought up Wingdashing for Pit. Is there a reason for that?

ColinJF

Smash Ace
I'll start using "PK Jibaku" around the same time I start using "Ukemi".

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
No one calls it PK Jibaku except the debug mode in Melee (and maybe Brawl). Everyone uses PKT2.

Good list SCOTU, but the word 'Depreciated' should be 'Deprecated' in that context :p.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
The proper term is "PK Jibaku," not "PK Thunder 2." That's a fan-made name. You brought up Wingdashing for Pit. Is there a reason for that?

Yeah but PK Jibaku's really gay...

The standard term list is not what things should be called. It's what they ARE called. Whatever they are most commonly referred to as is what they go down as. Almost nobody's calling Jugglypuff Purin round here are they?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'll start using "PK Jibaku" around the same time I start using "Ukemi".
PK Self-Destruct would also work. It means the same thing. I know all you're doing here is saying, "PK Thunder 2 is a fan-made word, just like the word 'teching.' However, I'm not Japanese, so I'm not going to use that word, just like I'm not going to use ukemi."

Everyone uses PKT2.
Not true.

Yeah but PK Jibaku's really gay...
Irrelevant.

The standard term list is not what things should be called. It's what they ARE called. Whatever they are most commonly referred to as is what they go down as. Almost nobody's calling Jugglypuff Purin round here are they?
That's because "Jigglypuff" is not a fan-made name. It's the official name of Purin in America. Anyway, if you're not into the whole Japanese name, then whatever. I can't change that.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
@Dryn: There's really no validity to calling anything in this game by what it's called 'officially.' Otherwise we'd be talking about glancing blows instead of phantom hits, forward strong attacks instead of forward tilts, ukemis instead of techs, perfect shields instead of powershields, small jumps instead of short hops and the list goes on. We call PKT2 PKT2, not PK Jibaku.

Post Terms specific to characters, making sure to include alternate names, abbreviations, a description of what it is, and how to do it.
Is this to say that if any character specific techs are missing they should be mentioned in the thread?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Wow This was really helpful.
A couple terms that Ive never heard about. Thanks for the list. :)

EDIT: @Ukemi This thread will definitely help the newer people. I remember when I first came (I hadnt joined yet) and people on the melee boards were like if you had drillshined here you could have killed with a Usmash. And I was like 0_o This wouldve really helped me (CunningKitsunes guide was what helped me in melee:))

EDIT2: Do you want really specific character terms or just the common ones.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's one thing to give us a list to clarify terms and techniques that are similar and often confused, or multiple names for the same technique, but some of this is simply unnecessary. some names have "stuck", regardless of how good of a name it is or how well it describes the technique. and "officially" changing the name simply because there's a better/official option for it simply won't work. the vast majority of players won't care to change the terminology.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Also you have grab armor on there but you dont explain what super armor is. I would add it just for the sake of completeness. Also, maybe planking/stalling. You just said to only post character specific terms Ill post definitions anyways and you can choose whether to add them or no.

Super Armor: Frames usually near the beggining of a move where you are unable to 'flinch' meaning unable to take knockback If you get hit during this time, you still take damage but all knockback becomes 0. ie The beggining of Marths UpB or Warios Fsmash.

Planking/Stalling: Using various tactics (most likely on the ledge) to wait out the timer when youre ahead in stock or percentage.
Taken from SamuriPandis Planking thread:
The word planking became popular after an infamous video of the player, Plank, using ledgestalling as a strategy to win a pivotal game in a large tournament (the ledgestalling begins at around the 4 minute mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=awI8Zz1EIE8 ).

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Shall I get to working in the mega thread with the new definitions?
May be even easier if I passed that thread onto you SCOTU. (Where do you mod? You could probably just edit it yourself rofl)

Levitas

the moon
it's one thing to give us a list to clarify terms and techniques that are similar and often confused, or multiple names for the same technique, but some of this is simply unnecessary. some names have "stuck", regardless of how good of a name it is or how well it describes the technique. and "officially" changing the name simply because there's a better/official option for it simply won't work. the vast majority of players won't care to change the terminology.
This will at the very least be a good resource to clarify meaning of references to ATs or terms that aren't intrinsically clear, and will get the newer players to use the same terms for moves as each other.

Also, these terms tend to make sense.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Shall I get to working in the mega thread with the new definitions?
May be even easier if I passed that thread onto you SCOTU. (Where do you mod? You could probably just edit it yourself rofl)
I'll talk w/ you on AIM about this. I only mod the smash lab and the smash workshop. I'd only be able to edit this thread w/ the new smash lab stuff, or you could just update yours w/ the new smash lab stuff. we'll work something out to make this work.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
This will at the very least be a good resource to clarify meaning of references to ATs or terms that aren't intrinsically clear, and will get the newer players to use the same terms for moves as each other.

Also, these terms tend to make sense.
Good points. It just seems a little silly to define some terms that have been in use from one to seven years, but I suppose there are always new players coming in. I guess changing names to make it easier on new players makes sense, but I don't expect much of it to stick.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Good points. It just seems a little silly to define some terms that have been in use from one to seven years, but I suppose there are always new players coming in. I guess changing names to make it easier on new players makes sense, but I don't expect much of it to stick.
not much got changed. The only things that got "changed" were things that were really loosely defined to start with, or had multiple things defined as the same term when they deserved different terms.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Depreciated
Shellshifting {squirtle running turn around}
I like this project because I think it'll get new players to use to the smash community's terms for ATs and such, but you can't get everyone to avoid/stop using a word that's meaningful to an entire character board. People will use the word "shellshifting" when they are talking about Squirtle's unique pivot, it's physics, and/or its application in their gameplay, and there's nothing this thread can do to change that.

If anything, I'd get each character board to each make their own thread (and have it stickied) that lists the common character specific terms, and add those to this thread.

As for Olimar, we've listed his "ATs" and abbreviations in this thread in the "Advanced Techniques" section. Some of them aren't actual ATs, but rather terms we've coined for basic things we do with Olimar.

TP

Smash Master
Under character specific, you need to include Ganon's Thunderstorming. The term has been used since the day Brawl came out. I don't even need to tell you what it is, because everyone knows it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also, there's no mention of what I call a "platform canceled dair". It's a universal AT.

On the moving platforms (such as the ones on Lylat and Smashville), you can jump and then dair as the middle of the character reaches the platform. It cancels the attack along with your upward momentum in a similar fashion to wavelanding. I've only experimented with it with Pit, Olimar, and Marth, and they all work. I don't know about the others.

edit: I don't even know if this is known to everyone yet. It may be new.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I like this project because I think it'll get new players to use to the smash community's terms for ATs and such, but you can't get everyone to avoid/stop using a word that's meaningful to an entire character board. People will use the word "shellshifting" when they are talking about Squirtle's unique pivot, it's physics, and/or its application in their gameplay, and there's nothing this thread can do to change that.

If anything, I'd get each character board to each make their own thread (and have it stickied) that lists the common character specific terms, and add those to this thread.

As for Olimar, we've listed his "ATs" and abbreviations in this thread in the "Advanced Techniques" section. Some of them aren't actual ATs, but rather terms we've coined for basic things we do with Olimar.

We're not saying: stop using this term competely or anything, it's just recognized as a term, you may have heard it used, and may continue to hear it used, but it doesn't actually refer to anything unique that needs a term (or vice versa).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Also, there's no mention of what I call a "platform canceled dair". It's a universal AT.

On the moving platforms (such as the ones on Lylat and Smashville), you can jump and then dair as the middle of the character reaches the platform. It cancels the attack along with your upward momentum in a similar fashion to wavelanding. I've only experimented with it with Pit, Olimar, and Marth, and they all work. I don't know about the others.

edit: I don't even know if this is known to everyone yet. It may be new.
You don't even need to dair. You can just hit down on the control stick and it cancels into a crouch. I was doing random silliness like Wolf instant platform usmash with this back in April last year : P

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
We're not saying: stop using this term competely or anything, it's just recognized as a term, you may have heard it used, and may continue to hear it used, but it doesn't actually refer to anything unique that needs a term (or vice versa).
So... "mach tilting" is unique? It's simply buffering an attack. Everyone can do that.

You don't even need to dair. You can just hit down on the control stick and it cancels into a crouch. I was doing random silliness like Wolf instant platform usmash with this back in April last year : P
I think the timing is easier with a dair though, for some reason.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
actually, the dair, is just taking the down input from the cstick and using that, it's the same mechanic, as far as anyone can tell.

The thing about mach tilting is that it buffers two hits of the ftilt with just one button press. As it stands, it's subject for removal from this list, since I was never fond of it being on here anyways, but it came up in discussion.

This list is subject to change, too. It's still being worked on in the smash lab to ensure that it's complete and up to date.

Browny

Smash Hater
a lot of things not mentioned for sonic...

like spinshot, vSDJ, iSDR and lots of other unique AT's

and i hardly see the relevance of marth deserving SHDF as a unique AT. why doesnt meta deserve a SHTU (short hop triple uair?) lol

Zhamy

Smash Champion
and i hardly see the relevance of marth deserving SHDF as a unique AT. why doesnt meta deserve a SHTU (short hop triple uair?) lol
SHDF is a staple in Marth's metagame, and a large part of spacing with him. It's referenced often, and with good reason. Now, how often do you see people talking about "SHTU?"

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Bomb Jump [samus] {receiving a vertical boost from a down b exploasion (samus only)}
Just so you know you spelled explosion wrong. With such a large post a small error is clearly understandable.

Great stuff though! Seems pretty comprehensive to me. I'm still calling them hyphen smash and dacus though, nyah.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Wow, nice job, must have taken a lot of time.

Did wavebouncing, tippers and footstool jump not warrent being mentioned?

Adapt

Smash Lord
A ZSS term that you will hear frequently is "Flipstool" (or Flip-stool)

This refers to the unique footstool jump that happens when you hit jump in the middle of the down-B animation and you near a non-stage physical object.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
SHDF is a staple in Marth's metagame, and a large part of spacing with him.
I wouldn't consider SHDF as a critical part of Brawl Marth's game, it isn't that commonly used, and if used with forward momentum isn't the best for spacing, but the term does come up occasionally.

EDIT: Maybe the Dancing Blade variations abbreviations should be listed.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
ROBs can do SHDF too. Its in their guide and they say its a good approach if you space correctly so yeah... you could probably put the term under ROBs name too.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
character specific terms are not finalized/complete/finished. I guess i should'n't've posted it as a preview.

Browny

Smash Hater
or how about a DK SH double bair. thats very much a staple in his game. theres lots of characters who have those sorts of approaches. SHD (anything) should be for all characters not just one specific char who may use it slightly more than others

infomon

Smash Scientist
yeah, only a few chars were talked about at all; dj, obv we didn't get to Sonic or I'd be all over that lol

actually we could just ask all the individ char boards for their terms; then figure out which ones actually make sense or are just silly.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
yeah, only a few chars were talked about at all; dj, obv we didn't get to Sonic or I'd be all over that lol

actually we could just ask all the individ char boards for their terms; then figure out which ones actually make sense or are just silly.
that's not a bad idea. I'll talk w/ ankoku/panda about that and get something organized.

Top Bottom