• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clans: OFFICIALLY OPEN!

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Completing the competitions/practice/whatnot completely online would be the point of this. what do you mean by official 32 clans though?

also "THE COUNCIL OF SMASH" lolz
Read the spoiler'd text that ElectricCitrus posted. It should be the first part of his extensive post that talks about the 32 clans.

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
good goodness that would be TL:DR under most circumstances.

Im in favor of a more open system. however we do need some sort of governing body of smash now that the URC is disbanded...

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
good goodness that would be TL:DR under most circumstances.
Im in favor of a more open system. however we do need some sort of governing body of smash somewhat akin to the urc especially with the wide customization options allowed in sm4sh

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Decided Skype would be best over all, once I get home from school I'll edit the main post, thanks for all the input guys!

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Oh hey people actually read my system. D: Yeah it's mostly there to give us a strong organizational body. I'm totally up to revising it though. Also we don't need 32 clans originally. Just four so we can have two in one league in two conferences. Just fyi the system is actually designed to support growth and change. ^_^ I'm quite proud of it.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I love this idea, but I'm a bit confused abut some things on this. For one, when you say crews you mean the different clans correct? How will we go about getting the official 32 clans, getting the initial clan rankings, and appointing members to the council and such? And will these tournaments be able to be done completely wirelessly for those who can't travel? ( Most likely through Skype or whatever means of communication. )
the idea would work more like this at first: Get a few people who can be reliable to organize the clans into events and the like. Those clans will then be ranked at the start by their existence. These rankings will change at the end of a 'season.'

So say we've got 8 clans to start with
4 will be in the higher grouping, 4 in the lower.
At the end of the season, the highest ranked in the lower will play the lowest ranked in the higher grouping to take their place. If the lower grouping wins, they get to keep their spot in the higher grouping.

At least that's how I would do it.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Every clan should have a "home stage" that suits them. All battles take place on the two clans home stages. The clan votes on a home stage and lets it be known. Strategize!

TearsforFears

Smash Cadet
NNID
TearsForFears
3DS FC
5472-6632-5877
Every clan should have a "home stage" that suits them. All battles take place on the two clans home stages. The clan votes on a home stage and lets it be known. Strategize!
I kind of love that idea ha ha! Makes each clan feel unique.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I'll create a video pretty much explaining everything, not sure when I can get around to it though...

Also is there any chance of a sub-forum for Smash Clans? Cough MODS cough.

If you're interested in creating a clan right now, then I would just wait. If it seems there will be no sub-forum, then threads could just be put on the 3DS general discussion... But please wait until I at least upload the video.

Oh yea, don't think i'm ignoring the ideas. I'm reading and debating ALL of it. Thanks for the support, let's make this a thing!

Last edited:

Poisonbeat

Smash Cadet
NNID
TacoBowser
3DS FC
5257-9456-9429
I'll create a video pretty much explaining everything, not sure when I can get around to it though...

Also is there any chance of a sub-forum for Smash Clans? Cough MODS cough.

If you're interested in creating a clan right now, then I would just wait. If it seems there will be no sub-forum, then threads could just be put on the 3DS general discussion... But please wait until I at least upload the video.

Oh yea, don't think i'm ignoring the ideas. I'm reading and debating ALL of it. Thanks for the support, let's make this a thing!
The mods already said that they wont do it :(

av448

Smash Cadet
I am willing to be part of this , thought i don't know how i will hold up because my internet is not that fast , guess i will use my mobile as a router so i can play at a decent speed. We should have a website where everyone can create / join a clan ( if all users agree , of course )

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
hmm...count me in as well...

what we need for now are..

A:: A subforum or group (or actual separate forum site) for further discussion so we dint have to keep using this thread.
B:: Sm4sh to actually come out.

Momoeshie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2723-8562-2360
the idea would work more like this at first: Get a few people who can be reliable to organize the clans into events and the like. Those clans will then be ranked at the start by their existence. These rankings will change at the end of a 'season.'

So say we've got 8 clans to start with
4 will be in the higher grouping, 4 in the lower.
At the end of the season, the highest ranked in the lower will play the lowest ranked in the higher grouping to take their place. If the lower grouping wins, they get to keep their spot in the higher grouping.

At least that's how I would do it.
Oooh ok, yeah that sounds good.

I like that idea as well!

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
If you haven't you should read my system found on page three. Atm it's the most fleshed out of the ideas here bit that doesn't mean it's without need of revision!

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
I know next to nothing about clans, but it sounds fun! I'm definitely down to join but I'm worried about my level of participation due to work and other obligations. When smash comes out I'd be good, but certain events that are going to follow in the coming weeks may make it tough for me to be extremely consistent. I'm assuming we can leave a clan at any time or join one that better fits my schedule, right?

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
I love this idea. Not only is the online system going to be better, but the community as well. It's time to let people know just how much smash as grown.

Rued

Smash Rookie
Yeah seriously. You do not need huge clans. I honestly hate Mario Kart clans because some people cannot handle them and will create chaos.
If this was to become a thing, it must be organized and understood how it plays out by everyone. Time Zones will definitely be an effect.
I don't know what clans you've been in, but if the clan has a competent leader then it's not a problem.
Also, time zones never affected very much in the MK scene other than Aussies and Japanese, Aussies woke up early/played later at night and the Japanese have their own community.
Also, a few suggestions.
1. Team is a more fitting term in this situation as opposed to "clan" (Mario Kart community has changed from clan to team as official usage, though everyone calls it clans, starting early would be best)
2. Make an official ruleset (with a thread), and make a standardized match size.
3. The MK Community almost exclusively uses Skype, and things such as war chats exist, where you are added to a chat and are able to ask for wars (mk terminology soz)
4. If this is popular enough, perhaps you can start a league of a sort (a lot of work, something that the MK community has been doing for years, always fun)
Also forgot to mention that divisions are very likely to be necessary if this gets large enough in terms of the league idea.
This idea was used in the MK community a while back, here's how it worked:
Thread was created and a team could claim up to 2 courses (in this case, stages)
After all the stages were claimed, teams would have to face each other in order to defend/take over a stage
Second post containing the stages and what team owns the stage will be updated accordingly
This was used, and although I don't really like the idea a whole lot feel free to use it:
After a prolonged amount of time of a team defending a specific stage, they own that and no one can take that.
For that, I would suggest giving their safety zone of owning the stage a time limit, in other words, this is just an example but:
Team claims the stage
Team defends stage for x months (let's use 2)
Team gets safety from attacking teams and will have a "safety time frame" of a sort and will be immune to challenges for a certain amount of time

Also:
Skype contacts are highly recommended for this to work out, or you can organize a thread to ask for team matches for territory wars.

Chat alternatives:
- Xat
- Skype (no voice calls / video calls)
- Smashboards
- Smash 3DS-specific site.

I like the idea of clans though.
Xat: has been obsoleted by Skype and other forms of communication, but if you don't want to use Skype (for whatever reason) it could be an alternative.
Skype: Likely one of the best options for now, most user friendly out of the bunch and is easier to communicate with your members than the other options
Smashboards: Using a clan thread for discussions and things of the such could work but isn't always the fastest/best way to get your member's attention.
Smash 3DS-specific site: Remember that theses clans likely won't be 3DS exclusive and will carry over to the Wii U if your members have one.
for those of you dissing Skype, that can be a requirement set by individual clans.
some of us (I included) think that vocal communication is an important aspect of teamwork and organization.
Skype is almost always preferred since it's the fastest and most convenient way to get one's attention in the clan. Teamwork/organization is much easier over Skype as well, but it's not only those two, but bringing the clan closer together and voice communication gives the clan a more real feeling, if you catch my drift.

Last edited:

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
So when can we start forming clans? If you don't mind I'd like to try and get one going.
PM ME TO JOIN THE SUPER COOL SUPER SEXY THUNDER WASPS.

Also here's a spoiler'd version of the clan system I talked about. I've been doing this stuff since July and @Capps @ RPGatWill RPGatWill are quite familiar with it.
The Citrus-System

The governing-rules for the 3DS Alliance

Written By:

Matthew “ElectricCitrus” Barker

Crews and Leagues

· In the Competitive Smash 3Ds scene there exists a total of 32 crews divided into four divisions, of four crews each, divided into two conferences. The conferences and their divisions are the following:

o Master-Hand Conference

§ Red Division

§ Gold Division

§ Yellow Division

§ Orange Division

o Crazy-Hand Conference

§ Blue Division

§ Silver Division

§ Green Division

§ Purple Division

· The amount of crews in each division is capped at four, meaning each conference has a total of 16 crews for a grand total of 32 crews.

· In order for a crew to be formed, following the beginning period, the founder must meet the following requirements:

§ Must be ranked at least in the top 50% of their respective crew.

§ Must be a member of a crew for at least a season.

§ Must be in good standing with the Conference Organizers Council.

· Good standing is defined as: Having not been leveled more than three infractions during a season, and not been found cheating during an event.

o Cheating is defined as bracket-manipulation, misreporting of results, abusing banned glitches, and anything not mentioned that might draw into question the legitimacy, character, and authenticity of any tournament results, sets, matches, 3DS Alliance crews, or 3DS Alliance players.

o Upon meeting the requirements set forth above, the crew founder will be granted permission by the Conference Organizers Council to engage in one or more of the following:

§ Recruit members for their crew

§ Petition for Conference Organizers Councilor status

o In order for a crew to be granted access into a division, the clan must have at least five members, and the division must not be at max capacity.

o Should a crew drop below five members, they will no longer be allowed to compete in their division.

o If, by the end of the season in which the membership drops, the crew has not regained their members they will be considered a dead crew.

§ Dead crews cannot:

· Compete

· Be ranked

· Have their captains nominated to join the Conference Organizers Council

o A dead crew may be “revived” if the following conditions are met prior to the beginning of the next season.

§ Membership returns to five

§ Approval is gained through a 2/3 vote of the Conference Organizers Council

§ There is room in the divisions for their crew to be re-added.

· Crews are lead by captains who are elected from within the crew through a two-part voting series:

§ Nominations and a vote to confirm three nominations

§ Final vote between the three nominees to select the captain.

o Captains remain in place until they fall out of good standing with the Conference Organizers Council—as defined by the good standing clause outlined in the clan formation section—or until they retire.

§ Upon retiring, the process will begin but with one change: The retiring captain is given permission to nominate one member of the clan who is instantly placed in the second round of voting.

Conference Organizers Council

· The 3DSA Season is lead by the Conference Organizers Council, from this point on to be abbreviated as COG, appointed by the chair of the Council. In order to petition for appointment, one must meet the crew-formation requirements. To be appointed one must:

§ Be in outstanding condition with the Council

· Outstanding condition is defined as having no-infractions leveled during a season, a lifetime infraction count of below 5, and has never been found to have engaged in cheating or otherwise malicious activities, benign or illicit.

§ Have shown dedication to their crew by participating in a majority of tournaments

§ Have shown dedication to their clan by participating in a majority of clan tournaments

§ Not currently the captain of a crew

o Once candidates are found that meet all of the above requirements, a vote will be held among all the current Conference Organizers Councilors

o Conference Organizers Councilors have the sole purpose of organizing the entirety of the 3DS Alliance’s season, fulfilling any obligations that include, but are not limited to:

§ Organizing tournaments.

§ Compiling accurate results.

§ Observing competitions to ensure the rules are abided by.

§ Hearing, reviewing, and issuing a vote on ban appeals.

§ Hearing, investigating, and punishing rules violations.

o Membership of the Conference Organizers Council is for life, or until good-service runs out.

Seasons and Required Tournaments

o Seasons are to last for four months, with a break of two months in between each season.

o Each season is to feature each crew playing the other crews in their division exactly two times in a season, followed by playing one crew from each of the remaining three divisions in their conference exactly one time.

§ These nine games are to always be the 3DSA Modified Crew Battle System:

· Only five players may compete in each of the crew battles

· Crew battles consist of two singles and one doubles matches, which are to be four stocks and eight minutes in length.

o The remaining fifth player is a sub who may compete should another player become unavailable or ineligible.

o Players competing in the singles event may not compete in the doubles of that crew battle and vice versa.

· The home crew will get to choose which of their singles players fights the away team’s singles players.

· The away team will in turn get to pick the first stage.

· The home team always gets the second stage pick.

· In the case of doubles, the first stage will be picked by the home team.

· Home and away teams are initially determined by the COG, and are then alternated from that point on giving all crews equal exposure as the home and away team.

· There are four points up for grabs in each of the singles matches, and in the double match.

o One point for winning each round

o One point for competing

o One extra point for winning the set.

· At the end of the two singles and one doubles matches, the crew with the most points accumulated will take home the victory.

o A dead-line will be given, and if the two crews have not played by that deadline a penalty will be given and overall ranking points will be deducted.

§ Should a crew go dead mid-season they are to be replaced, with the new crew starting with no ranking.

o There is to be, at the end of each season, the Boss Battle that is to be played by the top crew from each Conference. The Boss Battle is to be played no later than one week after the season ends, and is to be a 3DSA Modified Crew battle format, expanded to accommodate the entire crew.

o In the event where one crew has more members than the other, the amount allowed to compete in the Boss Battle will be made equal for both crews with the remaining players left as a pool from which substitutions may be drawn.

Tournament types

o The 3DS Alliance season is the following event:

§ 3DSA Modified Crew Battles

o The 3DS Alliance season does not rank, but does not bar the following events:

§ Juggernaut (3v1)

§ Smash Run

§ Singles

§ Doubles

§ Low-Tier Tournaments

· Note these events will still be ranked on the individual basis.

o In order for a tournament to be eligible, and considered for rankings it must not only meet the requirements previously stated but must also adhere to any rules currently accepted by the Conference Organizers Council, and the larger Smash Community; this may include but is not limited to rules such as:

§ No-Items

§ Stage Bans

§ Character Bans

§ Glitch Abuses

§ Dave’s Stupid Rule

Custom Moves, Characters and Switching

· The COG does not ban the use of Custom Moves however the following guidelines must be followed:

o All custom moves that a player will use MUST be posted prior to the start of the season.

o All custom moves submitted by a player must be the moves used until the mid-point of the season where players may switch out the moves they use.

o All characters a player will use MUST be posted prior to the start of the season.

o All characters submitted by a player must be the characters said player uses until the mid-point of the season when they may submit a switch of their roster.

o The max amount of characters a player may submit at the beginning, or mid-point, of the season is four.

Infractions and Punishment

· Infractions will be levied to players, league organizers, and members of the Conference Organizers Council based on the breaking of any of these rules:

§ Incivility

§ Being kicked from a tournament for rule violations.

§ Breaking any rules posted on the 3ds alliance forums

o Infractions are tracked both lifetime and seasonally

§ Seasonal infractions reset once a new season starts, but are still counted towards lifetime infractions.

o Players are given a maximum of five infractions before punishments get dolled out.

· Punishments are on a scale of severity going from one (least severe) to five (most severe)

§ Warning, and a tournament ban for one week

§ Warning, and a tournament ban for one month

§ Warning, and a tournament ban for one season

§ Warning, a tournament ban for two seasons, and kicked from your Clan.

§ A tournament ban for life as well as stripped of all rankings

· Fifth level to be altered at the discretion of the 3DS Association, with the exception being for illegal activity.

o The only way to achieve the fifth level of punishment is to engage in any of the following activities:

§ Cheating of a severe nature

· Severe nature is defined as acts including, but not limited to:

o Using hacked hardware

o Knowingly manipulating brackets

o Accepting bribes to throw matches

§ Committing acts deemed illegal by common law

§ Accumulating more than fifty infractions in a season

o Crew Captains or Conference Organizer Councilors knowingly allowing tournament bans to go unnoticed will be given a warning.

o Crew-Captains or Conference Organizers Councilors knowingly allowing, aiding, or turning a blind eye to cheating, banned for life players, or illegal activity will be immediately stripped of their rank and given a review by the chair of the Conference Organizers Council to determine their punishment.

§ If it is a case of illegal activity the Conference Organizers Councilor(s) or Crew-Captain(s) found guilty of aiding, allowing, or turning a blind-eye will be stripped of their rank, and banned from competing in the 3DS Alliance Season for life.

There's an actual document version of it that's obviously formatted to be more pretty but yeah.
Quoting myself because I think it's important that EVERYONE read it.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
For the sake of getting more people over to the group, I recommend changing the title of the thread to "Smash Clans: Officially Open for Registration" or something like that, as well as editing the OP to re-direct people to the page. So far, almost nobody is there, and it's fairly out of the way and hard to find if you aren't specifically looking for it.

I say this because if this doesn't get momentum now, it might not take off at all.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Whoever made the group, you may want to make it an open one so people can join without being invited. That might help get awareness out there. Also, I made a clan thread for the Thunder Wasps in case y'all want to check it out.

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
Whoever made the group, you may want to make it an open one so people can join without being invited. That might help get awareness out there. Also, I made a clan thread for the Thunder Wasps in case y'all want to check it out.
this. im totally going to start a clan but i want to wait until the game comes out.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
yea, good idea.

edit: ok, should be all good!

SmellTheJava

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0834-0767-5817
That really seems like an awesome idea, I'd love to participate but the distance(I'm from Mexico) may prove a problem in some cases.

I'll stick arount to see how it goes.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Not to toot my horn but you guys should check out the group if you haven't. Right now my clan is just TWO members short of being the first official clan to reach max capacity! :3 Also check out @ fearless.leader fearless.leader and his clan too.

Top Bottom