• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Not really.
If anything, it came out over a month later. Not to mentioned being a well received game.
But to be fair, it is Pokemon.
It tends to do that.
Pokemon seriously does tend to do that. I have a couple of friends who bought a 3DS just for Pokemon. Now they're moving onto other games (i'm pushing them towards Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem Awakening) but Pokemon got them to buy it. Pokemon can literally sell anything. And Pokemon are in Smash...

D

Deleted member

Those are both a lot bigger numbers than i thought. Smash getting that same ratio of revenue would be amazing
As much as we probably all want it to, nothing will live up to the hype that GTA V built.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A DIRECT THREAD, NOT A NINTENDO SALES THREAD

Last edited by a moderator:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Had this idea when I read SE's president interview, so question time!
If we ever got a Square Enix rep, who do you think it should be?
1-Geno
2-Crono
3-FF generic char(i.e.Black Mage)
4-Main FF char that is on a Nintendo console(no Cloud allowed)
5-DQ character
I think slime might have the better chances due to DQ's relations with nintnedo overall

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People have said that since like what, 2010=??? 2011=???

Besides, Miyamoto's last big IP, Pikmin, still is not a big seller at all. Why should we feel differently about this IP=???
Pikmin is a million-unit seller (on systems that actually have a decent install base) and critically lauded, what are you talking about? It's not Mario, but it's not nothing.

And iirc Miyamoto hinted at the game being unveiled this year. Or at least soon. Before there were only hints towards something being in development.

But will it be a Q1 or Q1 2015 release, or later=??? Because if it's later, Smash is still the big thing for the here and now.
That doesn't mean it still won't be big. Smash was pretty much the biggest thing last E3, and it was still over a year away from release.

We said that last year though.
Did we? Nintendo only trademarked that stuff recently. In fact I think the QOL stuff was only announced a few months ago.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Good points. I think Nintendo, after the negative reactions to their recent E3's (Nintendo Land fireworks being the conference-closer in 2012, and the awful initial reveals of 3D World and Tropical Freeze), is wisening up to what the fans want. Things like Reggie's Metroid pin, and the huge budget given to Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 demonstrate this.
Serious in my onion
onion-benefits-1.jpg

Onion?
.stupid.

Opnion sorry...last direct Febuary's was the best one ever even aside fron little mac the pace of the direct was much quicker and to the point less blabbering and stalling and quick punch like it was rushed but was perfect so much was announced and it was good.

i could see how determined Iwata was like he was being for real and it was kinda hot*

Anyway i really hope all directs will be like this from now on and i did understand iwata owned that direct alotta Realness he was talking about.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Pokemon seriously does tend to do that. I have a couple of friends who bought a 3DS just for Pokemon. Now they're moving onto other games (i'm pushing them towards Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem Awakening) but Pokemon got them to buy it. Pokemon can literally sell anything. And Pokemon are in Smash...
It's funny too.
I have this love-hate relationship with Pokemon.

Most Pokemon games generally last me at least a few months (whereas other 3DS games can last me a year) and I've been losing interest in the franchise.
But even when I say that this will be my last Pokemon game, that I'm done after this one.
I still go and pre-order the next iteration with Pokemon.

My current streak is three pre-orders, and it hasn't broken yet.

Last edited:

Thomas.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Orodreth
Who do I think should be a Squex rep?
Geno. He is one of the farfetched characters I have been rooting for in the back rows for a looooong time.
Who do I think is the most likely Squex rep?
Though I think the chances of any squex character representing is pretty slim, I'd go with either a DQ character or a generic FF1 class-like character (warrior, black mage, etc.)
I'm praying!

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Did we? Nintendo only trademarked that stuff recently. In fact I think the QOL stuff was only announced a few months ago.
Correct. It's only been through the last investor meeting that we've discovered Iwata's ambitious plan for a whole ecosystem built around the concept of QoL. The only question has been how and in what manner will Nintendo enter this market, to which Iwata has stated repeatedly that they will unveil their plans at E3 this year.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Correct. It's only been through the last investor meeting that we've discovered Iwata's ambitious plan for a whole ecosystem built around the concept of QoL. The only question has been how and in what manner will Nintendo enter this market, to which Iwata has stated repeatedly that they will unveil their plans at E3 this year.
Yeah, that's what I thought, thanks. Nintendo always seems to have some weird vaguely-game-related health thing going on in development that often doesn't see the light of day, so I got thrown off a bit.

I don't exactly know what to expect from this QoL thing, but while it might not be for me, it still should be interesting to find out about. That said, I hope it doesn't Bogart a huge amount of Nintendo's E3 time.

And this is jumping the gun a bit, but I wonder, if it does make a notable splash, how future Smash games might incorporate elements or content from it.

hypeconductor

Smash Rookie
so excited so excited. i think i should go to bed it will be like time travel. i really want anyone to be announced but especially takamaru

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
You know, I might not watch this direct live. With everyone watching it at the same time, it's going to buffer like crazy.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Warning Received
It's funny too.
I have this love-hate relationship with Pokemon.

Most Pokemon games generally last me at least a few months (whereas other 3DS games can last me a year) and I've been losing interest in the franchise.
But even when I say that this will be my last Pokemon game, that I'm done after this one.
I still go and pre-order the next iteration with Pokemon.

My current streak is three pre-orders, and it hasn't broken yet.
Get ready!
.i cant wait !!!6 AJHHHHHHHHH HYPE!!

YOUWILLBUY MWUHAHA

ruby-and-sapphire-3ds-conjecture.png

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yeah, that's what I thought, thanks. Nintendo always seems to have some weird vaguely-game-related health thing going on in development that often doesn't see the light of day, so I got thrown off a bit.

I don't exactly know what to expect from this QoL thing, but while it might not be for me, it still should be interesting to find out about. That said, I hope it doesn't Bogart a huge amount of Nintendo's E3 time.

And this is jumping the gun a bit, but I wonder, if it does make a notable splash, how future Smash games might incorporate elements or content from it.
An idea I've seen proposed online, and one I tend to agree with more, is Nintendo adapting games like Wii Fit, Brain Age, and the Touch Generation puzzle games into a separate brand that leverages the strengths of Nintendo, but exists outside of their typical video game sphere. Basically, it is trying to maintain the userbase of soccer moms and grandparents who bought into the interactive eHealth craze without interfering with the "Nintendo faithful" who are only interested in the status quo.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Had this idea when I read SE's president interview, so question time!
If we ever got a Square Enix rep, who do you think it should be?
1-Geno
2-Crono
3-FF generic char(i.e.Black Mage)
4-Main FF char that is on a Nintendo console(no Cloud allowed)
5-DQ character
1. Slime from Dragon Quest
2. Terra clone #3, aka Lightning
3. Terra clone #1, aka Cloud
4. Terra clone #2, aka Squall Leon (because Kingdom Hearts hates you and loves your money)
5. Black Mage from Final Fantasy
Those are both a lot bigger numbers than i thought. Smash getting that same ratio of revenue would be amazing
Nintendo doesn't worry about the sales of Smash, but the sales impact of Smash WiiU on the WiiU. They want Smash WiiU to sell consoles to build momentum for the WiiU, and allow Zelda WiiU, Mario WiiU, etc. to build up the console base and bring in the dough.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
An idea I've seen proposed online, and one I tend to agree with more, is Nintendo adapting games like Wii Fit, Brain Age, and the Touch Generation puzzle games into a separate brand that leverages the strengths of Nintendo, but exists outside of their typical video game sphere. Basically, it is trying to maintain the userbase of soccer moms and grandparents who bought into the interactive eHealth craze without interfering with the "Nintendo faithful" who are only interested in the status quo.
Yeah, considering that Nintendo is losing the casual market who ate up those games last gen to smartphones and such, I could see that happening. A separate, less-gaming-oriented product that is marketed as such and to that demo. It could definitely work if done properly.

Now we just need Nintendo to pander more to the faithfuls interested in the status quo. :laugh:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are the Miis highly requested in Japan?
Miis are highly requested everywhere... by casual gamers. Aside from Mewtwo, they're probably the most popular casual choice overall but a lot of hardcore gamers downright despise them. It's kind of like how Tingle is pretty well liked in Japan while the rest of the world pretty much wants to hang itself whenever they see his face.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
25 hours right? Man I just can't wait... I have a presentation first thing tomorrow morning and I just know I'm gonna end up accidentally saying something stupid.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
We're almost at the 24 hr mark, folks!!!

Smashboards, and probably the Direct's servers, are going to implode tomorrow.

If everyone could pick ONE newcomer and ONE Brawl veteran for tomorrow, who would it be?

Palutena and Jigglypuff for me.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579

If everyone could pick ONE newcomer and ONE Brawl veteran for tomorrow, who would it be?

Ike and Shulk. :)

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Yeah, considering that Nintendo is losing the casual market who ate up those games last gen to smartphones and such, I could see that happening. A separate, less-gaming-oriented product that is marketed as such and to that demo. It could definitely work if done properly.

Now we just need Nintendo to pander more to the faithfuls interested in the status quo. :laugh:
I honestly feel like maybe they're trying that with the new Rusty's Real Deal Baseball game on 3DS. It's a collection of sports-based minigames that each have a lot of content and skill-based stuff, and each is roughly $2-4 apiece. It's like they're trying to get into the mobile market in their own unique way. Truthfully, I'm shocked at how fun and addictive it is. I want to buy all the games, but I also don't want to blow all my money on it. :p

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
The most requested characters in Japan are actually:
  • Paper Mario
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lucina
  • Dixie
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Shulk
I'm pretty partial to this list, but we really don't need anymore Mario characters in the game. Glad to see Lucina getting some love, though. I really want to see her in the game, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone here going to have a watch party for the direct?
Kinda :D I managed to get my best friend on board, even if he's not into nintendo that much. For now I try to get him hyped :D

Edit: Yeah, he likes Smash, though. We had some really fun times with it.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN

Ness and Shulk/Aeron/Zael

Edit: Ness and Shulk/Aeron/Zael/Wonder Red/Bayonetta

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
  • Paper Mario
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lucina
  • Dixie
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Shulk
Well that's not true. Shulk, Dixie, and Lucina have some popularity, but off the top of my head Mewtwo, Roy, Chrom, K. Rool, Lloyd, Palutena, Starfy, Rosalina, Claus, even Zoroark are/were more popular than most of the others. Especially Captain Rainbow.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
  • Paper Mario
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lucina
  • Dixie
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Shulk
You got this from that Little Mac reaction article, didn't you? This list is pretty inaccurate, from what I've heard.

@ N3ON N3ON , ninja'd me.

Last edited:

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty partial to this list, but we really don't need anymore Mario characters in the game. Glad to see Lucina getting some love, though. I really want to see her in the game, but I doubt it.
I doubt it too, but i'd love to see her as an alt for Marth. Her alias in Awakening is "Marth" so they wouldn't need to change the name in the HUD. And Male Fit Trainer means there'll be voice clip changes over alts so Lucina actually works.

You got this from that Little Mac reaction article, didn't you? This list is pretty inaccurate, from what I've heard.

@ N3ON N3ON , ninja'd me.
Yes i did, it is a localization website so i figured it had some credibility when it comes to the Japanese community.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Slime from Dragon Quest
2. Terra clone #3, aka Lightning
3. Terra clone #1, aka Cloud
4. Terra clone #2, aka Squall Leon (because Kingdom Hearts hates you and loves your money)
5. Black Mage from Final Fantasy
I wasn't doing in any specific order, but if I had to:
1-Crono
2-Crono
3-Crono
4-Crono
5-Frog:troll:

D

Deleted member

can anyone kindly tell me how many more hours till smash direct??

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Ganondorf & Ridley

Also i really hope this site doesnt go down like it did at last E3 that really rusted my sack. Really did!

Ahh man this is gonna be mad...i know ninty are hyping this big but imo majority of the time they under-deliver thats why well...i am hyped...but like only when i think about all the crazy possibilities but really...i dunno....im sooooo set with just one newcomer reveal and it being either.

Palutena
Chrom
Takamaru
Mii

I wouldnt mind any of these no hate to them but it would just completely roll over me as none of them are my sort of characters at all and hmmmm...i dunno what else they will show.

Sorta gone out my head that this game will release in november though i do think it will either be
July/August/September one of em but yh really wanna know about release date and online mode the most as far as features

Top Bottom