• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How likely is it that Mii is the only Newcomer revealed tomorrow? The Direct would be the perfect time to explain how they work...

I need someone to convince me that only getting Mii is a complete impossibility.
I still think Mii's going to be saved either until E3 to go along with the announcement of the international release of Tomodachi: New Life or not until the game is released. Mii doesn't really strike me as a character that would be available from the get-go because, in just about every other non-Mii centric game, it's an unlockable character. Either way, I think Nintendo's aware that Mii by itself would be a buzzkill for a good number of fans so if Mii shows up, I think there will be someone else to balance things out.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well you are mostly correct but in that sense SM4SH has two different versions, and advertized both as the 4th Smash game. In my eyes, they are the same games disc wise, but differ with content.

Actually, Sakurai has gone on record saying that these two new games are "Smash 4 and 5", not both of them being Smash 4.

Groose

Smash Champion
Not sure how that will work since Sakurai seems adamant on giving each character their own trailer. Perhaps create one large trailer revealing a couple of new characters, then supplement their pages with their personal trailers? Or just string together multiple trailers Marvel vs. Capcom style? I want cohesion, dangit!
...We've seen it happen before, compadre. They show a trailer, pop the new release date on the screen, then start up the "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING" screen.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Personally, after this, I don't see Nintendo focusing too much of their time on Smash beyond showroom floor demos and another character reveal. They'll probably want to focus on their QoL platform and other games we don't know yet.
After Mario Kart is release, what else does the WiiU have that is anywhere near as big as smash=???

Bayonetta and X will be great, but they aren't Smash. Only a potential release within the next year of a Mario, Pokémon, or Zelda major game on the WiiU would come close to that.
@ Johnknight1 Johnknight1
You have inside info? ... just tell me if there's gonna be something Purple tomorrow, ok? ^^
All my source knows what people who worked on Brawl at Game Arts and people at Nintendo who aren't working on the game.

That is literally the biggest tidbit I know, other than Sakurai is taking a big back seat in terms of doing the balance, and he's more focused on his specific projects.

All the other stuff I know is basically about Melee and Brawl, which, while relevant, isn't something that fits the subject at hand until we see gameplay.

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I still think Mii's going to be saved either until E3 to go along with the announcement of the international release of Tomodachi: New Life or not until the game is released. Mii doesn't really strike me as a character that would be available from the get-go because, in just about every other non-Mii centric game, it's an unlockable character. Either way, I think Nintendo's aware that Mii by itself would be a buzzkill for a good number of fans so if Mii shows up, I think there will be someone else to balance things out.
Good points. I think Nintendo, after the negative reactions to their recent E3's (Nintendo Land fireworks being the conference-closer in 2012, and the awful initial reveals of 3D World and Tropical Freeze), is wisening up to what the fans want. Things like Reggie's Metroid pin, and the huge budget given to Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 demonstrate this.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I told you guys before, my source, a fellow Smash Boards member, has told me and others that the MARKETING BUDGET ALONE FOR BOTH GAMES IS EITHER 22.5 or 23.5 MILLION US DOLLARS!!!
I like this. Too many game devs think the games will advertise themselves when that definitely isn't the case. GTAV is pretty much a prime example of how much revenue can be generated with a bunch put into the ad department. Maybe this could mean good things for the wii u.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Is anyone here going to have a watch party for the direct?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If I see at least one character from my top ten list, I'll be satisfied: Megaman (confirmed), Little Mac (confirmed), Takamaru, Waluigi (disconfirmed), Ashley (disconfirmed), Palutena, Issac/Matthew, a third DK rep (Dixie or K. Rool, don't care which), Ridley, and Krystal.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I will be at work for the direct.... darn being old. Last smash I was still in high school.

Oh well I got money now $$$
Same man.....seriously its crazy....can you lot believe brawl came out in 08....thats crazy....and now another smash.

Serious i dont think no games hype can compare to a new smash game seriously when you just press that start button and go to VS Mode and just see all the

''?'' Character boxes all over the screen
For
Thr first
Time!

Oww man...you know! Your in for a long ride and it doesnt get boring! It really doesnt...seriously...i cant explain the ammount of magic a video game can bring...expecially smash....i still remember the day i got brawl...i will never forget it...sooo emotional....serious....

Oww man...i held the box art in my hands the plastic i knew it was new and then....i smelled it......

Just too much........

I cant explain it ...i just cant....
RealTalk...............

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Originally, I expected a Smash Direct AFTER E3. When i heard the news, i was genuinely surprised. I figured they would save Mewtwo and Ridley for E3. Now i'm not so sure. This is too big of a deal, especially with all the hype they're generating. I'M TOO EXCITED.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like this. Too many game devs think the games will advertise themselves when that definitely isn't the case. GTAV is pretty much a prime example of how much revenue can be generated with a bunch put into the ad department. Maybe this could mean good things for the wii u.
GTA V had $50 million in advertising; the game grossed over $1 billion in a day or 2.
I'd say that Zelda Wii U (not Hyrule Warriors, the other one) is a decent contender.
Zelda sales, sans Twilight Princess, have been nothing short of disappointing for a good while. Zelda needs to capture that luster before it ever becomes a prime time series again.
Actually, Sakurai has gone on record saying that these two new games are "Smash 4 and 5", not both of them being Smash 4.
What's funny is Smash 3DS was the originally thought of game, so it is probably Smash 4 in all actuality, lol.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Zelda sales, sans Twilight Princess, have been nothing short of disappointing for a good while. Zelda needs to capture that luster before it ever becomes a prime time series again.
To be fair.
That's less of Nintendo's fault, and more gamers being unpleasable little rodents.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
GTA V had $50 million in advertising; the game grossed over $1 billion in a day or 2.

What's funny is Smash 3DS was the originally thought of game, so it is probably Smash 4 in all actuality, lol.
A Link Between Worlds sold a lot of copies though

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I went looking around for the interview I read it in, but I can't find it, as there are literally tons of different interviews about this game, but even using simple logic, it's not hard to deduce why it would be referred to as such. The two "versions" will have completely different focuses, much like how the last 3 games had completely different focuses that built off of each other. This time it's special though, because the two games will directly interact in various ways.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Originally, I expected a Smash Direct AFTER E3. When i heard the news, i was genuinely surprised. I figured they would save Mewtwo and Ridley for E3. Now i'm not so sure. This is too big of a deal, especially with all the hype they're generating. I'M TOO EXCITED.
As popular as Ridley is in North America, it's nothing compared to Mewtwo's worldwide appeal and I think he'd be the smarter choice to go with for this but, honestly, it could go either way. There's a lot of potential candidates for tomorrow too so, if they really wanted to, they could save those two for a different time and still get a lot of fanfare with whoever they reveal tomorrow.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I still think for hype purposes, Snake or Mewtwo being revealed here would be huge. Heck, even Roy would be a gigantic reveal. Wario too even.
That's quite a lot of money. Then again, it's worth investing that much money on Smash, since it easily racks it back in no time, especially if we count in the inevitable Wii U sales too.
Yeah, Nintendo is probably betting on Smash selling millions of WiiU and opening the floodgates for Zelda and Mario and the Wii(U) series making the WiiU a big hit.
Things sure are shaping up to be big with this Direct, I'm not really sure what to expect anymore. I'm afraid of expecting too much, so I'm just going to try and go in with the expectation that we'll see a newcomer and a lot of gameplay, I can only be happily surprised from there on out.
Yeah, we're gonna see a lot of new content, a newcomer, a bunch of veterans, new moves, new modes, new ideas, and hear about the general direction of both games.

Who knows=??? Maybe we'll hear about how both games are different.
I still think Mii's going to be saved either until E3 to go along with the announcement of the international release of Tomodachi: New Life or not until the game is released.
I think Pac-Man is 100% confirmed for E3. As for Miis, they are either getting confirmed here or E3 (since I think that E3 rumor from last year is true). Buckle up for that guys.

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
As popular as Ridley is in North America, it's nothing compared to Mewtwo's worldwide appeal and I think he'd be the smarter choice to go with for this but, honestly, it could go either way. There's a lot of potential candidates for tomorrow too so, if they really wanted to, they could save those two for a different time and still get a lot of fanfare with whoever they reveal tomorrow.
I feel like they are going to announce Palutena and have Sakurai gloat about how he revived Kid Icarus and he is so wonderful to include this character.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To be fair.
That's less of Nintendo's fault, and more gamers being unpleasable little rodents.
I don't know about that. The Wind Waker was fantastic IMO, but it couldn't sell (too ahead of its' time). The Minish Cap was poorly marketed despite being great. Twilight Princess sold because it was basically seen as "the better Ocarina of Time", which clearly it wasn't. Skyward Sword under-performed to extremes because, well, Twilight Princess didn't live up to expectations. A Link Between Worlds isn't selling because it came out around the same time as Pokémon, despite it probably being the best Zelda since at least the Wind Waker.
A Link Between Worlds sold a lot of copies though
No, Pokémon X & Y sold a lot of copies. A Link Between Worlds pretty much under-performed, although in that case, the lifetime sales are the bigger deal.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
...We've seen it happen before, compadre. They show a trailer, pop the new release date on the screen, then start up the "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING" screen.
That's true. Completely forgot that Villager's reveal corresponded with the first trailer.
After Mario Kart is release, what else does the WiiU have that is anywhere near as big as smash=???

Bayonetta and X will be great, but they aren't Smash. Only a potential release within the next year of a Mario, Pokémon, or Zelda major game on the WiiU would come close to that.
For starters, we're supposed to be hearing about whatever Miyamoto is working on, there is also a lot of rumoring that Metroid is on the horizon, and Aounuma has already indicated we will likely see a trailer for Zelda Wii U. Overall, I think the quality of life platforms that will be launching next year will be a big focus of Nintendo's presentation.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is anyone here going to have a watch party for the direct?
No but we're gonna set up four computers just in case one stream fails or one randomly decides to not internet today as computers do.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Tomorrow's PotD:

Screenshots of the Wii U Kid Icarus stage, Pyrosphere, and a new Xenoblade stage.

"The trolling is almost over."

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@ Dark Phazon Dark Phazon
Aw, don't smoke. D: It's not good for ya. No wonder you have to wear that mask all the time.

Anyways, the Direct will be at Midnight for me, but I will Watch it live, as I have nothing to go up for the next day. :) Should be good. They are certanly hyping this Direct more than pretty much ANY other Direct. They better have something BIG to show.
Check out my ride lmao Shy Guy so badass (3

300x-1.jpg

D

Deleted member

Had this idea when I read SE's president interview, so question time!
If we ever got a Square Enix rep, who do you think it should be?
1-Geno
2-Crono
3-FF generic char(i.e.Black Mage)
4-Main FF char that is on a Nintendo console(no Cloud allowed)
5-DQ character

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
1-Geno
2-Crono
5-DQ character
Lightning because Sakurai really likes Lightning Returns- *brick'd*

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
For starters, we're supposed to be hearing about whatever Miyamotot is working on,
People have said that since like what, 2010=??? 2011=???

Besides, Miyamoto's last big IP, Pikmin, still is not a big seller at all. Why should we feel differently about this IP=???
there is also a lot of rumoring that Metroid is on the horizon,
Again, the same stuff from 2010, only Metroid was never a big deal to most gamers (sadly), despite being Nintendo's most consistently impressive franchise.
and Aounuma has already indicated we will likely see a trailer for Zelda Wii U.
But will it be a Q1 or Q1 2015 release, or later=??? Because if it's later, Smash is still the big thing for the here and now.
Overall, I think the quality of life platforms that will be launching next year will be a big focus of Nintendo's presentation.
We said that last year though.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
1-Geno
2-Crono
5-DQ character
If I had to rank them:

1) Crono
2) Slime
3) Geno
4) Black Mage or Chocobo

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
New $600 4 day laptop is having Internet problems the day before the direct...none of my mobiles will connect either.

**** my life.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't know about that. The Wind Waker was fantastic IMO, but it couldn't sell (too ahead of its' time).
If I'm correct.
It was because it wasn't the game everyone wanted.
Granted, it's considered great now, but at the time people hated it.
Mostly for it's "kiddy" graphics.

The Minish Cap was poorly marketed despite being great.
Once again, going back to Wind Waker.
IIRC the Toon Link games generally do worse here than in Japan.

Twilight Princess sold because it was basically seen as "the better Ocarina of Time", which clearly it wasn't.
It was a darker Zelda. Which people were desperate for.

Skyward Sword under-performed to extremes because, well, Twilight Princess didn't live up to expectations.
I don't know much into SS.
So I'll leave this with "I don't know why."

A Link Between Worlds isn't selling because it came out around the same time as Pokémon, despite it probably being the best Zelda since at least the Wind Waker.
Not really.
If anything, it came out over a month later. Not to mentioned being a well received game.
But to be fair, it is Pokemon.
It tends to do that.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Those are both a lot bigger numbers than i thought. Smash getting that same ratio of revenue would be amazing
No but we're gonna set up four computers just in case one stream fails or one randomly decides to not internet today as computers do.
Inb4 brown out and all comps die

Top Bottom