• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 4 needs a sweet intro movie, like Melee's

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I really didn't get the opera crap with the Brawl intro. Really failed to pump you up like Melee and to a lesser extent 64 did.
Not knowing the Latin translations didn't help.

Hopefully the intro to SSB4 has the same dramatic rises and falls like Melee did.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, I really didn't get the opera crap with the Brawl intro. Really failed to pump you up like Melee and to a lesser extent 64 did.

Hopefully the intro to SSB4 has the same dramatic rises and falls like Melee did.
I think the main theme is the same one used in the Villager trailer so I expect that to play. Would that work for you?

iam8bit

Smash Ace
When I see that part in Melee's with Sheik, I get goose bumps.
Favorite part for me since I laid eyes on the awesome intro.

Wait what? Did everyone watch all of the SSE cutscenes before playing Brawl? All of them cutscenes in the SSBB opening were brand f$#$@#% new to me when I saw em.
At least a few of them were showed in the Dojo prior to release.

But even if they were all new, they weren't made as an intro movie but as a part of SSE's story mode. They're random scenes edited together, even including fighting scenes with generic SSE enemies.

Melee's showcasing of each characters in their own world and the beautiful transitions between them are much better IMO. Probably because its sole purpose is to be a great intro movie. :p

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I did at least love the part with Sonic on Green Hill Zone. That looked kinda cool.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wait what? Did everyone watch all of the SSE cutscenes before playing Brawl?
All of them cutscenes in the SSBB opening were brand f$#$@#% new to me when I saw em. I didn't even know they were from SSE until I started playing the game. Yalls arguments for why Brawl's opening sucked make no sense.
I mean, the cutscenes in melee's opening could have been put into the adventure mode, that doesn't lower the quality of them.

EDIT: All that's really important is that the announcer shouts SUPER SMAAAASH BROTHERS at the end, that is a MUST in the next smash opening.
The difference is that while the 64 and Melee intros are obviously tailored around the idea of being introduction movies, the Brawl one isn't. It's rather obvious that its a bunch of out-of-context clips that have been smacked in with the way it clips and everything, not much unlike watching a fan video for a game you haven't seen before, you'll still be able to tell it's a bunch of clips just thrown together due to the way it transitions. It doesn't come off as a proper representation of all-things Nintendo in the same way because of this. I mean, why is Wario in the midst of a desert? Why aren't multiple characters on screen at the same time? In the Melee opening we have things like the Triforce trio crossing hands, the Yoshi herd, Samus fighting Ridley, all the ships in a race against each other, etc. In the Brawl opening it's mostly just shots of single characters, like Link drawing the Master Sword or ZSS looking at the Power Suit in the screen, and whenever there are multiple characters they are rarely interacting. It's also missing cinematic value, it doesn't have anything like Bowser rising up through the fire, Zelda's image being shown over Sheik playing the harp, or the mugshots of Fox and Wolf inside the Arwings, this is because the scenes in SSE obviously didn't call for this.

Plus, there's also the fact that it loses a ton of its rewatchability by being what it is, a compilation of clips. It just makes me wish I was watching the actual in-context clips rather than this thrown together video. I've been watching the Melee intro pretty often for 12 years now, and I'm still not tired of it, and that's because it truly feels like a big compilation of Nintendo goodness, and I never get tired of that.

And yes, if there's no yelling the name of the game, the intro never reaches its climax either. It's like the ultimate way to finish off an intro movie, it just screams "**** yeah this is awesome!"

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Fingers crossed that the intro cutscene is as badass as Melee's. I swear I get goosebumps every time I watch it. The epic build-up of showing all the characters in their own worlds before showing them preparing for battle is just amazing. The music is incredible and it's topped off my the greatest title reading ever. The way Dean Harrington roared the word "Melee" just gives me shivers thinking about it. On a side note, I really hope he return for this new game though I seriously doubt it. At least get someone better that the Brawl guy.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm sure we'll get a big time quality intro akin to Melee now that the animation team doesn't have anything to draw from to make another clip compilation video. (Unless they really go that far and use some animated clips from the character trailers)

I'm though lookin' forward to the intro video, I bet it's going to blow our minds like it did with Melee, which I also dub as "Your Whole Childhood Summed In One Epic Video."

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I don't care what the intro looks like just as long as it gets me pumped when I first start up the game.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
The difference is that while the 64 and Melee intros are obviously tailored around the idea of being introduction movies, the Brawl one isn't. It's rather obvious that its a bunch of out-of-context clips that have been smacked in with the way it clips and everything, not much unlike watching a fan video for a game you haven't seen before, you'll still be able to tell it's a bunch of clips just thrown together due to the way it transitions. It doesn't come off as a proper representation of all-things Nintendo in the same way because of this.
THIS, so much.

It all boils down to the fact that Melee's intro's sole purpose is to be an awesome intro movie for the game, something to excite you and get you pumped up for it. Brawl's intro, on the other hand, is made of clips that had a completely different purpose.

Smash 4 already seems to have more attention to detail put into it than Brawl, from what I can gather from the daily pics, so I have high hopes.

The way Dean Harrington roared the word "Melee" just gives me shivers thinking about it. On a side note, I really hope he return for this new game though I seriously doubt it. At least get someone better that the Brawl guy.
Well, they got the original DKC composer for Tropical Freeze, so you never know with Nintendo.

But yes, the title announcement is really epic. It's almost a shame it wasn't included in that original reveal video I posted, so everyone just kinda needs to shout "MELEEEEE" in their heads. :laugh:

Shudouken

Smash Rookie
from did you know gaming
Because of Super Smash Bros. Melee's status as a launch title, it was specifically designed to showcase new features that the N64 wasn't capable of. This is why the game's opening sequence is a high-quality, full-motion video, which the N64 was incapable of producing. The developers at HAL even worked with 3 other production companies in Tokyo, Japan, to make Melee's opening sequence as outstanding as possible.
So yeah, that's teh reason why it's so awesome, they should definately make a cutscene like that again, still gives me goosebumps

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
The music from the e3 trailer is probably going to end up the theme for the game.
I'm sure we'll get a big time quality intro akin to Melee now that the animation team doesn't have anything to draw from to make another clip compilation video. (Unless they really go that far and use some animated clips from the character trailers)
This, there's no subspace type thing in the game, so I expect the intro to be a lot like Melee or 64's.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Melee's intro was the best intro of any video game ever. Just saying.

At the time, the graphics were amazing, the music was superb... Even now it gets me that such a masterpiece exists. :^)

(My favourite part is Sheik with the Harp looking up with Zelda slightly above her <3)

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I just had shivers reading this, despite how lackluster that would sound.
Do you prefer

Announcer: "Super Smaaaash Brooootherssss foooooor Threeeeee Deeeee Esssss!!"

I really hope this is the case for the cheere hilarity of it~

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I'm expecting and hoping it's the trailer we saw back at E3 but with more length and more franchises yet to be shown.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The difference is that while the 64 and Melee intros are obviously tailored around the idea of being introduction movies, the Brawl one isn't. It's rather obvious that its a bunch of out-of-context clips that have been smacked in with the way it clips and everything, not much unlike watching a fan video for a game you haven't seen before, you'll still be able to tell it's a bunch of clips just thrown together due to the way it transitions. It doesn't come off as a proper representation of all-things Nintendo in the same way because of this. I mean, why is Wario in the midst of a desert? Why aren't multiple characters on screen at the same time? In the Melee opening we have things like the Triforce trio crossing hands, the Yoshi herd, Samus fighting Ridley, all the ships in a race against each other, etc. In the Brawl opening it's mostly just shots of single characters, like Link drawing the Master Sword or ZSS looking at the Power Suit in the screen, and whenever there are multiple characters they are rarely interacting. It's also missing cinematic value, it doesn't have anything like Bowser rising up through the fire, Zelda's image being shown over Sheik playing the harp, or the mugshots of Fox and Wolf inside the Arwings, this is because the scenes in SSE obviously didn't call for this.

Plus, there's also the fact that it loses a ton of its rewatchability by being what it is, a compilation of clips. It just makes me wish I was watching the actual in-context clips rather than this thrown together video. I've been watching the Melee intro pretty often for 12 years now, and I'm still not tired of it, and that's because it truly feels like a big compilation of Nintendo goodness, and I never get tired of that.

And yes, if there's no yelling the name of the game, the intro never reaches its climax either. It's like the ultimate way to finish off an intro movie, it just screams "**** yeah this is awesome!"
The Sheik part really gives me goosebumps too, the way Zelda looks towards the sky and then Kirby just ZOOMS in! Legendary! Also...I find it funny how Wolf appeared on SSBM's Intro but wasn't playable and he was nowhere to be seen on Brawl but he was playable. Another thing, regarding the announcer shouting 'SUPER SMASH BROTHERS...MELEE!' I was kinda surprised when I booted up Project M and didn't hear anything of the sort, would make a pretty nice detail if the Project M Backroom made 4.0 with all of the crew shouting 'PROJECT M' on the Intro screen :D

Also, I'd love Sonic, Megaman and Snake to be thrown into a Melee-esque intro...like, maybe Sonic facing againist Mario on a clip with a Genesis and a Super Nintendo clashing againist each other on the background, that'd be very epic, and a nice reference to Nintendo's history.

Also, I would personally have the announcer shout "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS...FOOOOOUR!" at the Intro screen, and since they sound similar, the four quickly morphs into 'for' and the Wii U/3DS part of the logo appears on a flurry of fire like on the trailer. Although I would've loved Super Smash Bros. Universe and Super Smash Bros. Dimensions, would've been much better names, I mean, those names were almost as no-brainers as Ridley.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I honestly want that KirbyXRainbowRoad incorporated into the main intro, but its pretty impossiburu at this point

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pretty high chances of this happening what with no Adventure Mode cutscenes.
I swear to god if they just mash together clips of gameplay though

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
As the guy above me said, there is a much higher chance of there being an original intro movie, since there is no Subspace Emmisary, and Sakurai has nowhere to be lazy and steal clips from (unless he decides to just take clips from all the newcomer reveals...... Oh no......).

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 better have a sweet intro movie like Melee. Because when I pop that baby into my console and start it up, I want to see something that gets my blood pumping with excitement. Not a snoozefest like the Brawl intro.

(I see you Jokke)

iam8bit

Smash Ace
(My favourite part is Sheik with the Harp looking up with Zelda slightly above her <3)
I love that a lot of you are mentioning this as a part of the intro that stands out because it does for me too. The visuals of Sheik/Zelda and the vocals they add to the track on that part are just perfect. Embarrass

So much attention to detail was put on that intro.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I agree. Melee's opening was so good. It was perfect. I got so many goosebumps watching it for the first time (and I still get goosebumps, more than a decade later, when watching it). Really hope SSB4's opening is as epic as Melee's. Brawl's opening sucks so much, that music with latin chanting makes me cringe. Nintendo was trying too hard to make something epic there.

D

Deleted member

I agree.

Melee's intro was so beautiful and so cinematic… even the music in the background was amazing and even immersive. Even in 2014, the intro still holds up to this day; I'm still rather impressed with what they did! When Brawl came out, I was expecting the same kind of intro… only to see that the intro was basically a compilation of SSE cutscenes. Seeing as how impressive the trailers have been thus far, I would be surprised if we didn't get an intro that is as impressive as Melee's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
While I would say that Melee's intro (And their use of it to unveil the game) was definitely better, I think that Brawl's reveal trailer was even better.. At least at the time. It was glorious (I've watched it 35324 times)

Top Bottom