• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. 4 needs a sweet intro movie, like Melee's

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Doesn't everyone think Melee's opening is just EPIC? Just look at the reaction it got when first revealed:

The music and the way they mixed each character's world was great. It was the perfect introduction for a game that promised the chance for Nintendo's best characters to fight between themselves.

For comparison, this is Brawl's intro:

Yes, the music's cool but without a proper movie the feeling just wasn't as good. It's essentialy game footage edited with scenes from SSE, some of which we had already seen. We don't see characters in their own worlds too much.

I'd love for Smash 4 to have an intro movie as cool as Melee's, and IMO it would add to the epicness of the game.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Of course I'd love an Intro Movie like Melee's, that **** was amazing! I'd like the franchises to appear as they appeared first on the trailer, with more franchises showing up as you unlock their characters until you get the full Intro.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah a progressively lengthened intro would be awesome. Definitely needs to be more than just gameplay. Thankfully these CG movies he's making for the newcomers seem to suggest he's interested in making movies.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I dunno how to say this without sounding like a melee fan boy..

But melees intro was truly something magical...never forget it....

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Yeah a progressively lengthened intro would be awesome. Definitely needs to be more than just gameplay. Thankfully these CG movies he's making for the newcomers seem to suggest he's interested in making movies.
Hopefully it won't just be those intros edited together, though...

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Just listen to all those poor fools who cheered when they thought Ridley was playable.

'Twas a sad day.
They were cheering over Samus who at that point hadn't been seen since Super Metroid, not counting Smash 64.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Hopefully it won't just be thos intros edited together, though...
I wouldn't mind the bits from the trailer appearing for their respective franchises. Especially Pit, that soaring style really feels like 'Uprising'

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind the bits from the trailer appearing for their respective franchises. Especially Pit, that soaring style really feels like 'Uprising'
As long as they added more, I would be fine with that

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
Just listen to all those poor fools who cheered when they thought Ridley was playable.

'Twas a sad day.
I'm pretty sure that was for Samus.

Anyway, yeah I agree that a special CG movie should play for the intro, hopefully including hidden characters as well. Maybe the hidden characters can be blacked out, or their scenes are cut out until the character is unlocked, just so nothing is spoiled.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
As cool as it was to have Nobuo Uematsu do the theme for Brawl, whoever did Melee's Intro music NEEDS to work on the new soundtrack!

And yeah, I think they were cheering for Samus and/or that specific scene from Super Metroid, not Ridley himself. They even cheered again when Samus was shown playable.

I'm sure some of the excitement was about seeing Ridley in there too. There was just a shortage of Metroid at that time.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

Hey you don't have to be a Melee fanboy to realize something like that.

However in Brawl's defenense I don't think it would have been reasonable to want another opening like Melee's when Sakurai already was working on all those SSE cutscenes.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hey you don't have to be a Melee fanboy to realize something like that.

However in Brawl's defenense I don't think it would have been reasonable to want another opening like Melee's when Sakurai already was working on all those SSE cutscenes.
Thats nice thank you.

Although i really do hate brawl with a passion and love melee but i keep it to myself and i can control it :)

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
Well, it seems Sakurai is focusing on original/character-specific cutscenes so this is a good sign for an intro like Melee's. It also seems he's focusing on bringing more personality into the game, so that's another good sign, I suppose. I just hope we get something as goosebump-inducing as the Melee intro.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Doesn't everyone think Melee's opening is just EPIC? Just look at the reaction it got when first revealed:

The music and the way they mixed each character's world's was great. It was the perfect introduction for a game that promised the chance for Nintendo's best characters to fight between themselves.

For comparison, this is Brawl's intro:

Yes, the music's cool but without a proper movie the feeling just wasn't as good. It's essentialy game footage edited with scenes from SSE, some of which we had already seen. We don't see characters in their own worlds too much.

I'd love for Smash 4 to have an intro movie as cool as Melee's, and IMO it would add to the epicness of the game.

What do you guys think?
I agree. I hope they put their all into it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We are being given awesome trailers for each newcomer, so I have faith that we will get an awesome intro too.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I'm hopeful we will get an intro similar to Melee's. There' s no SSE in this game, so there's not cutscenes to draw from. They can be completely original with their opening.

I'm hopeful for something just as spectacular as Melee's. It's clearly the best intro in the series. Melee>Smash 64>Brawl

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I sure hope so, Brawl's intro was really disappointing when compared to Melee's. You know you did something right when the presentation alone can stand up for 14 years. Nintendo needs to showcase some of that HD.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I totally want to see the intro progress as it goes on. For instance, let's say Mario, Peach and Bowser are starters, and Luigi/Rosalina unlockable. The "Mario" section of the intro would show Mario running on a bridge, dodging Bowser's flames and knocking him off the bridge (think the bridge from World 1's Boss in 3D World), to show Peach waiting for him. As you unlock Luigi, he then is running alongside Mario and is comically burned and freaks out. When you unlock Rosalina, Peach holds a Luma, as Rosalina's image appears in the sky when the Mario Bros. stop Bowser.

I think that would work pretty well.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I totally want to see the intro progress as it goes on. For instance, let's say Mario, Peach and Bowser are starters, and Luigi/Rosalina unlockable. The "Mario" section of the intro would show Mario running on a bridge, dodging Bowser's flames and knocking him off the bridge (think the bridge from World 1's Boss in 3D World), to show Peach waiting for him. As you unlock Luigi, he then is running alongside Mario and is comically burned and freaks out. When you unlock Rosalina, Peach holds a Luma, as Rosalina's image appears in the sky when the Mario Bros. stop Bowser.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing's happening...

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Fund this.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I'm one of the few that think Melee is insanely overrated, and even I have to admit that Melee's intro was nothing short of magical. Given how good the cutscenes look this time around, I'm pumped that they won't have the excuse to simply use existing story mode cutscenes this time around. Give us the ultimate crossover cinematic Sakurai!

Last edited:

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
Ok, first.

You WANT a cool intro, Not NEED!

But, yes, I WANT a Cool Intro.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I would love an epic intro for Smash 4. Brawl's never kept me watching 'till the end, but Melee's was just beautiful.

When I see that part in Melee's with Sheik, I get goose bumps.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I KNOW for a fact that Smash64's intro pulled this stunt when you unlocked Luigi and the other three. PErsonally would not mind the Intro expanding as you unlock characters.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Wonder if he'd go so far as to make different openings for the different versions... maybe each shows off different stages in the intro and stuff like that.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Hopefully that happens a great intro and the screaming MELEE made it really hype. Maybe a anime styled intro or something new could happen.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Yes this needs to happens, especially when they saw newcomers like peach, Zelda, and the thought of Ridley.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Wait what? Did everyone watch all of the SSE cutscenes before playing Brawl?
All of them cutscenes in the SSBB opening were brand f$#$@#% new to me when I saw em. I didn't even know they were from SSE until I started playing the game. Yalls arguments for why Brawl's opening sucked make no sense.
I mean, the cutscenes in melee's opening could have been put into the adventure mode, that doesn't lower the quality of them.

EDIT: All that's really important is that the announcer shouts SUPER SMAAAASH BROTHERS at the end, that is a MUST in the next smash opening.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I like smash 64's better. It wasn't majestic or whatever but it was hype and there was electricity and **** everywhere.

64>Melee(close second)>Brawl(WHAT HAPPENED?)

Last edited:

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
Wait what? Did everyone watch all of the SSE cutscenes before playing Brawl?
All of them cutscenes in the SSBB opening were brand f$#$@#% new to me when I saw em. I didn't even know they were from SSE until I started playing the game. Yalls arguments for why Brawl's opening sucked make no sense.
I mean, the cutscenes in melee's opening could have been put into the adventure mode, that doesn't lower the quality of them. Also I wish that the entirety of melee's opening was cutscenes, the parts that show actual gameplay kinda seem dull compared to the herd of yoshis running across the screen, and the announcer didnt shout SUPER SMAAAASH BROTHERS at the end, that is a MUST in the next smash opening.
What? The announcer definitely did shout "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS... MELEEEEEE!"

Top Bottom