• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
did anyone else notice this yet? here, its the mario symbol. no, thats not what i want to post about, just look at it.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/icon/world_b_10.gif

now here is the yoshi symbol. take a look.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/icon/world_b_11.gif

see what im seeing? its not the final finished version of the symbol. any ideas on why that would they wouldnt put up the final version yet?

So far we've got Kirby, Smash Bros., Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Yoshi and Icarus...

We know that Metroid, Wario, Metal Gear, and Star Fox will be added.

We can hazard guesses at Fire Emblem, Mother, F-Zero, and Donkey Kong also being added.

Unlikely, yet possible are Ice Climber and Game+Watch.

If all of these are included, that leaves room at at least 1 more new series, minimum.
Of course, if we exclude Ice climber and G+W, there's room yet for at least 3 new series to enter. And who knows how many more beyond 18 there may be?
hey, you forgot to add, jigglypuff will be getting her own symbol cause she's so good. there, thats 18.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I've been analyzing the order to try and find some kind of pattern or arrangement but have yet to come up with anything, aside from the fact of the newcomers most probably being last.

I'm not putting too much faith in it to reveal anything, but it will certainly be interesting to watch as more series are revealed.

I

i8waffles612

very cool observation

so many secrets lie within the website that we still have yet to discover!!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i hope it eventually gives away some info, but so far, they have only uploaded symbols that have already appeared on the site, so at this rate, we won;t get anything secret.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
This might not contribute into finding some patern, but check this. I was looking at the Music page when I noticed the icons had a white background. Of course the first thing I thought is it could be transparent GIF files, but then I realised that Sakurai used GIFs, so there was no way he could ever make use of anti aliasing. In the black icons you could clearly see the AA.

So anyway, I checked the url, and instead of a b, I saw a w. So, the logical conclusion, there's a white variant of every icon.

To test this, let's take a look at all the confirmed icons:

So, in conclusion, Sakurai already makes two versions of each icon. Try to find the other icon's white versions. You won't find them (except for Yoshi's).

Dacvak

Smash Ace
I don't know why people have been putting so much emphasis on "18" symbols... Sure, the LAST one we discovered is number 18, but that doesn't mean there can't be a 19, or 20, or 47. Anything passed 18 is coming up as a page that won't load, just like the ones that don't load in between 1 and 18.

19 could be snake, 20 could be sonic, 38 could be Chuck Norris.

~Dac

Chepe

Smash Lord
There was a thread about these on GFAQs back when Delfino Plaza was revealed. The first thought there was that they were going alphabetically and using the character's names for the order (since only Mario, Link, and Pit had symbols then, it was a viable theory if newcomers came last). Then yeah, when Yoshi was revealed, it wasnt such a popular idea anymore. Now it seems all random...

However, theres something I think many are overlooking. Yeah,, the GFAQs peeps also thought about the "at least 1 new franchise bit if we include Ice Climbers/G&W", but then someone pointed out that Melee uses another icon that only apparently only appears to be used in Single Player mode to represent certain unplayable characters. Something about it being a circle with cracks on it...

Does anyone know what Im talking about? Because if it is true, then its possible that the icon in question is #2, and that unrevealed new franchises will come after 18...

Chepe

Smash Lord
Ah, and now Fox's icon is World 3... Eh, I was hoping for a newcomer update, oh well... Not much to add other than that.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
There was a thread about these on GFAQs back when Delfino Plaza was revealed. The first thought there was that they were going alphabetically and using the character's names for the order (since only Mario, Link, and Pit had symbols then, it was a viable theory if newcomers came last). Then yeah, when Yoshi was revealed, it wasnt such a popular idea anymore. Now it seems all random...

However, theres something I think many are overlooking. Yeah,, the GFAQs peeps also thought about the "at least 1 new franchise bit if we include Ice Climbers/G&W", but then someone pointed out that Melee uses another icon that only apparently only appears to be used in Single Player mode to represent certain unplayable characters. Something about it being a circle with cracks on it...

Does anyone know what Im talking about? Because if it is true, then its possible that the icon in question is #2, and that unrevealed new franchises will come after 18...

circle with cracks in it!? that's the freakin smash symbol! it's already number one on this list. how can you not know the smash symbol?

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
Pretty cool, but I don't like the idea of only 18 series... from 64 to melee, they added about like 8 or so, and theres like 16 series in melee, so, I'd think that theyd add at least 6 more series...

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Seriously, who decided it was definitely 18? Does it officially say that somewhere? Because the 18th jpg is the last one discovered... There could easily be more after that...

~Dac

Waenke

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure he said exactly what u just said, lol. That there could be even more.

Erk Aduro

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, who decided it was definitely 18? Does it officially say that somewhere? Because the 18th jpg is the last one discovered... There could easily be more after that...

~Dac
No one's said that. All we have evidence of is eighteen though, so to conjecture more is foolish. So we're all saying there are at least seventeen different franchises (Smash Icon makes eighteen) in Brawl. There very well could be more, but until we have solid evidence that there's more than eighteen, why bother speculating over it?

Chepe

Smash Lord
circle with cracks in it!? that's the freakin smash symbol! it's already number one on this list. how can you not know the smash symbol?
Nah, they said it was some other symbol. I couldnt recall any NPC symbols other than the Smash symbol though, so I just went with their word, but perhaps it was someone who didnt know it was just the Smash symbol...

Also, it wasnt just me seeing things then, because I had noticed the Mario mushroom getting spots too, but thought maybe I just missed it before...

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
I find it odd Mario's Musroom symbol looks like the NSMB Mushrooms than the old SNES versions of it.
Guess the whole game is gonna have the latest updated looks on alot of things.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I don't see how somebody could NOT think that this discovery means something. I mean, c'mon- you don't have to be so pesimistic all the time.

Anyways, anyone who thinks there will be only 18 symbols is foolish. Of course there will be more. Why would Sakurai make the first newcomer shown the last symbol? As far as I'm concerned, all 17 before pit are from Melee- and all after 18 are newcomer worlds.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Hey, I was thinking, Sakurai already changed Mario's icon. The old icon is still on the How to play screenshot. So what if Sakurai thinks, "Hmmm... that Wario icon... it... kinda is... balls..." Wouldn't that be great? Maybe we would see another Wario icon, one which doesn't suck balls.

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
Theres the FOXHOUND, The Metroid Series, The Wario symbol and FE symbols left to show.
You best not be forgetting something called F-Zero. Captain Falcon is the most important returning and newcomer character in Brawl. Unless you were only referencing confirmed characters, at which point the Fire Emblem reference doesn't apply.

Also, nice catch.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I've always thought Wario's would be that bomb with the Wario grin and 'stache, as seen on the back of his jacket in the Nintendo World trailer.

The W seems kind of... easy?

SuppaRoy

Smash Cadet
I never noticed they changed mario's symbol. Its better now. Warios....I think its fine but they might change it.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Screw that. Anyone who's ever played a WarioWare game knows that his icon should just be a Giant Nose. =D

~Dac

Top Bottom