• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash: Black dominated?

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Okay, first off, let me introduce something. I'm Black. Don't want to start anything.

Anyway, to me, it would seem that the majority of players of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (and Melee) are Black. Or, should I say, a large percentage of Smashers are black. I've noticed this a tournaments, this board, and with random adds on mapwii.com.

I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this, or if they themselves are Black who are smashers.

Of course, I'm sure someone's going to ask "Why does it matter?" This is just a question out of curiosity. If this isn't suited for its on thread, lock it.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I'm Black. But you're wrong, the majority of Smashers aren't black.

Maybe in your area, sure. But it's not true the world over.

Sliq

Smash Master
I saw the title of this thread and laughed for a solid 15 minutes. God bless you OP.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I think you'll find that, due to population balances, this isn't possible.

The title did make me laugh, though.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I don't think the majority of Smashers are black but there are tons of black people at Evo for other fighting games.

Also, a quick note. MDK, the guy who won the Anime North Brawl tournament, was black :p

piffman2

Smash Apprentice
I'm black. I went to a tournament nearby and there was only one other black guy win. He did win though. That made me happy:)

ChronoTrigga

Smash Apprentice
Okay, first off, let me introduce something. I'm Black. Don't want to start anything.

Anyway, to me, it would seem that the majority of players of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (and Melee) are Black. Or, should I say, a large percentage of Smashers are black. I've noticed this a tournaments, this board, and with random adds on mapwii.com.

I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this, or if they themselves are Black who are smashers.

Of course, I'm sure someone's going to ask "Why does it matter?" This is just a question out of curiosity. If this isn't suited for its on thread, lock it.

I'm pacific islander. But most of the people I play smash with are black. Probably because they like fighting. o.o Then again, Smash Bros is the only game I've seen a black person play every day without getting bored of it. ......BLACK BLACK BLACK. Sorry had to say that.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I never really thought about it before, but a lot of the Smash players I know are black. My eyes have been opened! Black black black!

I'm Filipino btw. Yay obvious

blayde_axel

Smash Master
lol. I apologize if anyone has taken offense so far, but thanks for the responses.

But, yeah, the area I'm in is mostly black, so I'm kinda biased. But in other cities in Louisiana, there's still a pretty big black following of Smash.

Man, there's no polite way of talking about this. >_>.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
dont worry ^_^
black isnt a bad word. LOL
its not like your saynig theres
to much of us. Then again not
everyone thinks like me.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Super Smash Bros. Brawl isn't black dominated, though I am black. Simply put, we simply don't have the numbers, I'd say that they're mostly white, most of the U.S. is white. Second would probably be Asians? Just because the game comes from Japan, and it's extremely popular there.

You could be true saying: Black people have the highest percentage of people playing Brawl who own a Wii, then any other race. What that basically means is 63% of black people with Wii play Brawl, while 31% of white people who have Wii, play Brawl as well.

Just my three cents though.

Smashless

Smash Apprentice
i was hoping you meant everybody chooses the black costumes (ie dark fox, wolf and falco, black dress zelda, dark link).

I guess I gave humanity too much credit.

regorris

Smash Apprentice
Someone had to grab the race assist trophy

Just my three cents though.
<joke>
Hey, this thread is charged an controversial enough without you bringing inflation into it. </joke>

In Baltimore, most smashers are black... but that's because the demographics of the area indicate that some 65% of the people in the greater Baltimore area have African blood flowing through their veins.

Going off topic. If a black person made it to the top of a big tournament, maybe African blood to a smasher is like Chozo blood to Samus.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
<joke>
Hey, this thread is charged an controversial enough without you bringing inflation into it. </joke>

In Baltimore, most smashers are black... but that's because the demographics of the area indicate that some 65% of the people in the greater Baltimore area have African blood flowing through their veins.

Going off topic. If a black person made it to the top of a big tournament, maybe African blood to a smasher is like Chozo blood to Samus.
percisely........

dont take my blood ! :(

KoalaBear

Smash Apprentice
lol. I apologize if anyone has taken offense so far, but thanks for the responses.

But, yeah, the area I'm in is mostly black, so I'm kinda biased. But in other cities in Louisiana, there's still a pretty big black following of Smash.

Man, there's no polite way of talking about this. >_>.
lol say Pwease?

PCHU

Smash Lord
Hmm, LAWL, I am just but a Mixed kid in a community of smashers.
Surprisingly, I have three Black friend smasher, Thai friend smasher, 4 White cousin smashers, a....Spanish friend smasher (He beat me, but I sucked back then), and, a.....Mixed-Black friend smasher.

I have beaten all of them, and I am nearly unstoppable, except for the M-B and Spanish, I haven't battled the M-B, and Mr. Spanish beat me, but I beat him, too, so I don't know how I'll fare now....

Anyways, I see a lot of variety here in TN.
It's too bad that it's basically hopeless to battle, because I have beaten all three of my cousins at once, so one of them is no problem.
I beat everyone as Lucas, and no one has beaten him as of yet.
Doesn't mean I am unbeatable, but still.......
I am the best of both worlds, the omega Mixed breed! =D

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
lol tc what are you creating this observation from? Your area? maybe in your area majority are black but you cant generalize a game's national fanbase based on that.

i am black as well for the record

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I am black, and i noticed something similar to, but not the same as what you are talking about.

I dont believe that the majority of smashers are black, i think its the other way around...

the majority of black ppl that are pro/semi-pro gamers that dont play Madden, play smash. However most fighting games a white dominated, except for those few games that are genectically made for asians to rule at. (im looking at you, DDR and Tekken) also Smash seems to be one of the most diverse games ive ever played. no offence, because i dont get around all that much, but ive never heard of a mexican winning a large scale game tourney b4 smash came out. ive also never seen more than one girl at any one game tourney be4 smash came out.... smash brings the world together. =)

so all in all, there are more whites that play smash than minorities, but there are more minorities that play smash than other games, thats basically the way that i see it

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Considering the fact that I live in New Orleans, therefore making my Caucasian *** the minority, Ill say yes. But Im sure it isnt like that everywhere.

Top Bottom