• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
DK seems to fit. the strength and speed of his moves are surprising, and the bair work very effectively at spaceing. one unusual combo i have seen is bair -> side b. if you shield the siee b can completely demolish the shield, and if you dont will will leave you stuck in teh ground.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Update #16: ?????

7/29/08

If there were one word to describe this character, it would be "spacing." Spacing is the key to this character, and those who can master it will frustrate almost any opponent they play against. But this character also requires you to read your opponent well, as most of the character's attacks are punishable, but they are exceptional at punishing. With a shield pressure game that few can rival, and surprisingly effective (and quite unusual) combos on some characters, this character is most definitely one to be afraid of in the right hands.

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
Marth = Spacing. Knowing the tip of the sword and being able to attack your opponent with enough space to avoid shield grabs is why Marth is all about spacing. For combos, you must use space yourself so you are using the middle of the sword, and for finishers you have to space yourself so you can hit with a tipper.

Marth is a frustrating character to play against when used in the right hands. You have to admit that some qualities that Marth has can be aggrevating when used against you. A tipper forward smash still gets ******** kills around 70% and his grab range is still top tier.

You could say this character requires the user to have to read the opponent because, like Pikachu and Toon Link, he has a harder time setting up kills than other characters. In Melee, Marth's main strategy was to edgeguard. Since Brawl is so floaty, edgeguarding isn't as good as it was in Melee. That means Marth really relies on his Forward Smash for kills, and it's terrible to kill with if it isn't near the tip of the sword. So, you must be able to read your opponent in their defensive options to be able to land his few kill moves. Whether it be jumping, air dodging, spot dodging, you have to be prepared and spaced properly to get a tipper. Now because Forward smash is his only reliable kill move, it can be predicted fairly easily if your opponent is greedy. This is where the punishment comes into play.

Marth's shield pressure game is probably one of the best. They don't call his neutral b "Shield Breaker" for nothing. An uncharged shield breaker will eat a shield like a HUNGRY HIPPO. His down-tilt is also a shield poker and what not. That's all I have to say about shield pressure.

I can't say much about Marth's combos simply because Marth has to read his opponent's defensive options to get combos, and he doesn't really have any true combos other than double fair or footstool to dair.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I personally think its Ike.

He NEEDS spacing in order to be effective...since most of his attacks are indeed punishable. You space your attacks perfectly and it is VERY hard to get close to Ike. And like the hint also says, he also has exceptional punishing skills...you mess up, Ike hits you hard. With the odds stacked against him with his slow attacks and such, you need to be able to read your opponent and use his punishing skills to the utmost. His shield pressure game is good as well, as his hits can take a decent chunk each time. "Few can rival" doesn't mean he is the best at shield pressure, which we know Marth is better at this point.

So yeah...I say Ike :D

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
It's awesome how people keep guessing Lucario. I wonder for how many hints he hasn't been mentioned?

But on a constructive note for you Lucarios, how well does Lucario shield pressure?

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I didn't give enough reasoning why, so I'll do that now.

Update #16: ?????

7/29/08

If there were one word to describe this character, it would be "spacing." Spacing is the key to this character, and those who can master it will frustrate almost any opponent they play against. But this character also requires you to read your opponent well, as most of the character's attacks are punishable, but they are exceptional at punishing. With a shield pressure game that few can rival, and surprisingly effective (and quite unusual) combos on some characters, this character is most definitely one to be afraid of in the right hands.

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
It's Ivysaur.

Her whole game is about perfect spacing. She's also arguably one of the best at it.

She IS one of the most frustrating opponents in the game with spacing. No one can get past her pretty much.

Most of her attacks are very punishable. If you mess up your spacing, there's tons of lag on the end of most attacks, enough for you to get smashed.

She's also amazing at punishing. If they whiff an attack at low percents, get in a Bullet Seed and rack up the damage. If they whiff an attack at a higher percent, use FSmash or USmash for the kill.

BAir is amazing at pressuring shields, and her other attacks have enough range to prevent punishment.

NAir can combo into almost anything, and she can follow up on most ground attacks.

If you've ever played a good Ivysaur, you'd know that, in the hands of a pro, she can take down nearly anyone.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
i think its ike, didn't u guys see that it says most of the char's moves r punishable??
how can it be marth or wario?

Popertop

Smash Champion
It's awesome how people keep guessing Lucario. I wonder for how many hints he hasn't been mentioned?

But on a constructive note for you Lucarios, how well does Lucario shield pressure?
he does okay.
we like us some AS charge on shields, and dtilt/ftilt are relatively safe on block as well.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
It has to be Marth, it all adds up to Marth. Spacing (Tippers need precise spacing), punishable if you dont read your opponent (I find his smashes have a long cooldown lag and its easy to shield grab Fairs), shield pressure (Fully charged shield breaker ***** shields), effective combos (Double Fair's and Dancing Blade are very good for racking up damage).

As for the people who are saying Ike, how many combos does Ike have? Also I dont think he's that good at shield pressure, his very laggy moves = easy shield grabs.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I was going to say DK initially, but Ivysaur makes plenty of sense as well.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Pfft, Ivy would never be given any sort of praise. I'm convinced that me, and a very small portion of the PT board, doesn't hate Ivy.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
"You People?" What do you mean by "You People?"
What do you mean by "you people"?
Oh Tropic Thunder, I hope you are as good as you seem.

Anyhoo, on to business.

Point 1: Pika Pika Pikachu!

Point 2:
biohazard930 said:
Bio makes a good point. Lucario fits a lot of this hint, but his shield pressure game isn't the best IMO. Which brings me to...

Point 3:
#16 is almost definitely Marth. Spacing is critical for him because a tipped sword attack makes a HUGE difference. Add in his excellent pressure game, variable combos (Dancing Blade, I'm looking at you) and devastating but punishable smashes, and you've got a recipe for epic win.
Olimar fits pretty well, too, but like Lucario, he isn't exactly great at getting through shields. (Which is another feather in Marth's cap, as he not only excels at this, but has a move called Shield Breaker)
I'm willing to accept Wario as an understandable guess, and definitely agree that he fits. However, if it was Wario, I would expect the hint to mention his excellent air game instead of just spacing.
Honorable mention goes to DK, who also fits pretty well, but no mention of dangerous throw game.
But really, I think BBQ° said it best: Marth = spacing
Marth for #16.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I would love it if it were Ivy, but I doubt that anyone would choose Ivy over a character like Marth.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
To the Ivysaurs:
I agree that it fits, but I just don't see them reviewing each Pokemon individually, since you are pretty much required to use all three in a match.
But for the record, Ivysaur is my favorite of the three, too.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Seems to me that this is most likely Lucas or Zero-Suit Samus. Both have long-ranged attacks that need to be properly spaced, are devastating when properly spaced, and are fairly punishable if not properly spaced.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Being a Pokemon Trainer Main, the Description Fits Ivy Perfectly, but like UnSaxon said, I don't see him reviewing them separately.

I say it's Marth.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
Obviously Marth. There was a rather long discussion on whether or not some of Marth's attacks were safe, meaning whether or not they're punishable on block. So that's probably where the "can be punished" part comes from. And of course, Marth is one of the best at punishing.

Shield Breaker alone made sense with the shield pressure statement.

As for combos, he has a 0 death on Falco, SH Double Fairs, uthrow to utilt, and of course dancing blade. I don't know, that one is kinda iffy.

Its either Wario or Marth.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was thinking that would be a reason that they wouldn't review Ivy.. I'm pretty sure that PT will be among the last, along with Yoshi.

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
I was right with Samus, C. Falcon and Pikachu.

Now I'm saying it's Marth. Wario and Jigglypuff also need a lot of spacing and have combos, but their attacks aren't as punishable, and they aren't good at breaking shields.

Marth it is.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
It fits ZSS almost perfectly, but the lack of definition in aerials makes me question myself.

If there were one word to describe this character, it would be "spacing." Spacing is the key to this character, and those who can master it will frustrate almost any opponent they play against.
Plasma-whip is a key spacing tool.

But this character also requires you to read your opponent well, as most of the character's attacks are punishable, but they are exceptional at punishing.
Lots of her moves have incredibly long ending-lag.

With a shield pressure game that few can rival, and surprisingly effective (and quite unusual) combos on some characters, this character is most definitely one to be afraid of in the right hands.
ZSS has combos, who knew? D-smash infinite on spacies, d-smash -> plasma-wire/u-tilt at low percentages, d-smash in general makes for great combo setups with Paralyzer as well. Also, her tilts have amazing range because of the length of her legs, which makes shield poking easy.

I could be wrong, and it does sound a bit like it could be Lucas. Then again, I'm no expert on him and have no idea if he has combos.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
The better question is not who the next character will be or where whoever's spot should be on the tier list, but will anyone relevant still care about this crappy game before this once a week garbage is done.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
i could see marth. When they use their F-smash when edge Guarding, easy to Roll behind them and do a smash attack

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was thinking Jiggs. Spacing is very key. She's punishable if not careful, and she's got a great shield poking game. Her combos are strange, like dair>rest.

Top Bottom