• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Juci

Smash Apprentice
do we have numbers on 3ds people because I'm sure its gonna be hectic for its first tourney n all the new people. Its probably best if we dont throw doubles in.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Yeh no chance for doubles to run at the same time as 3ds, the only alternative is to run it earlier, I can convince CW bossman to open the doors earlier but if there's no interest there's no point

DD_

Smash Journeyman
do we have numbers on 3ds people because I'm sure its gonna be hectic for its first tourney n all the new people. Its probably best if we dont throw doubles in.
After running two online tournaments for SM4SH now, I have been surprised at how fast the matches complete and we move things along. It's always chaotic in the first round because of the sheer numbers but the fact that people are never waiting for setups moves things along nicely. I think with an earlier start and peoples cooperation having smash 3ds alongside a doubles tournament is something feasible for the future, however there is always the issue of how many actual monthlies with 3ds we have left.

btw speaking of the future whats the plans for wiiu are we moving up from CRT for that one (Or are we forced to? i don't have a wiiu yet) more logistics to start thinking about

Dekar289

Smash Hero
hopefully the homebrew scene get the new gamecube controller adapter for WiiU working with project m and melee, then we can defs just have it all on monitors.

S.D

Smash Master
I wouldn't expect a HUGE influx of new people for 3DS, after all how well are these monthlies advertised? If it were a nintendo connection event I'd anticipate big numbers, but not too sure about this. However if there was ever a time to focus on increasing our reach it would be now...

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
After running two online tournaments for SM4SH now, I have been surprised at how fast the matches complete and we move things along. It's always chaotic in the first round because of the sheer numbers but the fact that people are never waiting for setups moves things along nicely. I think with an earlier start and peoples cooperation having smash 3ds alongside a doubles tournament is something feasible for the future, however there is always the issue of how many actual monthlies with 3ds we have left.

btw speaking of the future whats the plans for wiiu are we moving up from CRT for that one (Or are we forced to? i don't have a wiiu yet) more logistics to start thinking about
I believe I read somewhere there is input delay from down sampling to lower resolutions, but after googling, I really cant find **** on this. Im willing to try figure this out, maybe nalters can help me cause I know he has a super good monitor.

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
I believe I read somewhere there is input delay from down sampling to lower resolutions, but after googling, I really cant find **** on this. Im willing to try figure this out, maybe nalters can help me cause I know he has a super good monitor.
Can confirm no (Or practically no) Input delay using component.
Source: Used to speedrun NSMB-U on a cheap $20 capture dongle, was lagless.

Juci

Smash Apprentice
I have pm and melee working on my Wii u but yeah they will have to get the adapter to work, but I'm not sure how keen people will be to bring their expensive monitors and consoles to tournies.

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Can confirm no (Or practically no) Input delay using component.
Source: Used to speedrun NSMB-U on a cheap $20 capture dongle, was lagless.

Just tested my monitor compared to the WII U gamepad, exactly the same delay (cant say how much), don't own a crt so cant compare. I have no idea how I can test this other then the way that I have.

monitor BenQ gl2440 24"

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php

What I used

Last edited:

JKTS

Smash Cadet
5 min time limit + everyone having their own console should keep sm4sh tourney running much faster than normal ones.

I'm pretty sure this is the first monthly I'll miss since starting. Put a level 9 peach with my tag in the bracket. It should keep my placing up where it usually is.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
5 min time limit + everyone having their own console should keep sm4sh tourney running much faster than normal ones.

I'm pretty sure this is the first monthly I'll miss since starting. Put a level 9 peach with my tag in the bracket. It should keep my placing up where it usually is.
inb4 JKTS LVL 9 Peach Top 3 placer

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Sm4sh is slower than brawl imo. Myself and tibor timeout friendlies all the time by accident; never once did we timeout a brawl game.

Attila_

BRoomer
Even when we were terrible at Brawl, he still managed to kill each other.

Mostly a problem on ferox, since the transformations are way more invasive than anything on ps1.

And we're not deliberately stalling or running away; timeouts would be easy as if we were.

Japan plays 2 stock 7 minutes, which might end up being better.

Splice

Smash Hero
Should really up the timer tbh.
There are lot's of games that get pretty close to timeout for a lot of us. If it gets to that situation and it's tournament and we're serious, it's going to be meta to intentionally draw out the match for the % lead character. A longer dissuades this type of play (because having to do it for longer is less enticing) and also lets the match play out normally in the case of an intense match but where it's hard for someone to get the kill.

That said Attila's getting so many time outs probably because he plays Duck Hunt.
Thanks for ruining another smash game Attila
:snake::4duckhunt:

Last edited:

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Me n Deks nearly times out with my horrible GnW on the netplay tourney the other day.
With that being said, 100% of the game was him running away w/ projectiles.
I support 2stock 7/8min matches. :D

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
I also support 7 minute games, but that will only make Tomodachi Life worse...

There will be so many timeouts on that stage even with a 7 or 8 minute timer.

Also another thing that can be done on that stage, but I don't wanna ruin a certain someone's ability to abuse it on people on Saturday haha.

Splice

Smash Hero
Why shouldn't it be?
It maintains the fundamentals of smash, and does not have random elements.
Not enjoying playing on it or having slow games on it is not an issue. I'm curious to see if it's possible to circle camp on it properly though; since there's nothing that actually obstructs you, I think most characters would have the tools to chase/damage a player trying to circle camp.

Anyway, I assume the executive decision was that it's better than Ferox; we need 5 stages

Attila_

BRoomer
Why shouldn't it be?
It maintains the fundamentals of smash, and does not have random elements.
Not enjoying playing on it or having slow games on it is not an issue. I'm curious to see if it's possible to circle camp on it properly though; since there's nothing that actually obstructs you, I think most characters would have the tools to chase/damage a player trying to circle camp.

Anyway, I assume the executive decision was that it's better than Ferox; we need 5 stages
I agree that five is needed, but I think Ferox with a 7/8 minute timer is better. Similar to ps1, most transformations result in characters staying away anyway. It just makes timeouts too easy in 5 min.

S.D

Smash Master
Tomodachi life >>>>>>>>>>>> than Ferox, that transform is just sooooooooo awful.

What's the opinion on moving stages? ala rainbow ride melee? 3D land is good imo, cept for 50% of the stage.

Last edited:

Attila_

BRoomer
Counterpick rules need clarification.

Stages before characters, dunno where cping custom moves fit.

Also, 1-2-2-1 for stage selection for the neutral.

I recommend modified DSR in Bo5 sets, so that you're not stuck playing on a stage you don't want to play on. Espc if there are bans.

And, tomodachi life is a terrible stage. It's so hard to get down from the top, and the person on the bottom never has a reason to give up their position. Bad stage. I think ferox on a 7 minute timer is a much better choice.

Splice

Smash Hero
Attila, I'm gonna respond to the issues you have brought up, in order.

-
Dekar states in the rules that stages are picked, then characters.
I believe custom moves should happen after characters, since you have to pick a character before you can confirm the custom moves anyway. example (player 1 won game 1. Player 1 picks GnW, Player 2 picks Greninja. Player 1 chooses his custom moves, Player 2 picks his custom moves).

For game one, perhaps whoever picks character first, picks custom moves second?

-
you can't do 1-2-2-1 if you only have 3 starter stages.

I guess only having 1 ban each puts emphasis on winning Rock Paper Scissors, but if both players know their characters it'd rarely make a difference at least.

-
If you're gonna suggest modified DSR, please outline it. There's many variations, I don't actually know what you're suggesting off the top of my head. Do you mean you can't pick the LAST stage you won on, but if you win another in between, you can pick it again? If so I agree.

-
Tomodachi and Ferox have people divided. For this reason, I believe both should be legal so that more people can make decisions/get proven wrong/end up agreeing one of them is more ****ed than the other.
It's worth mentioning though, (by mentioning I mean REPEATING), it doesn't matter at all what the 3DS stagelist really is, because unlike characters we already know for a fact the stages are totally different on the WiiU (and there seems to be far more good stages too). Most of the grinding and testing we find out playing 3DS tournies may turn out to be useless.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I believe custom moves should happen after characters, since you have to pick a character before you can confirm the custom moves anyway. example (player 1 won game 1. Player 1 picks GnW, Player 2 picks Greninja. Player 1 chooses his custom moves, Player 2 picks his custom moves).
This could be dangerous, as what if some top-tier has a positive MU with the whole cast or something depending on their custom moves?
or are custom moves not that big an issue i dunno
seems a bit eh that if you CP their character, they can still CP you with custom moves
again not sure if its going to be that big an impact

Top Bottom