• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Woah, no Melee doubles?
wtf! do you think it'd be possible to run both?

nooo it's happened PM ruined everything smash is dead gg game over man
Seriously why can't we have Melee doubles, there will be slightly more clashing but do you think we really can't deal with it? Brawl is missing from the schedule this time as well so we have even less events to run

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Seriously why can't we have Melee doubles, there will be slightly more clashing but do you think we really can't deal with it? Brawl is missing from the schedule this time as well so we have even less events to run
Brawls not really been on the schedule and when we run only 1 teams game we still finish at 9pm.

Adding an extra teams game is gonna make things finish at like 11pm+

Splice

Smash Hero
look whatever Redact/Dave just PM me when we can finally kill the PM scene

thanks

Dekar289

Smash Hero
after next tournament we'll assess whether or not to just rotate or try and include both.
there's also this other smash game coming out tho....

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
Like I've discussed with Redact, I'll be helping out with the TOing now.

So if we have both doubles this and/or next monthly, I will be able to help makes things happen faster. It may just be a case of not enough set ups that causes the delay though. In which case, bring 'em if you want dub dubs.

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
until smash 4, it'd be silly not to run brawl imo, still enough people to warrant tournaments

S.D

Smash Master
Yeah keep running Brawl until smash 4 for sure.

I'm really on the fence about PM atm, still too many stupid flaws in the engine atm. Kind of waiting for the final version to make an assessment, but atm not sure what to make of the game.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
P:M is great, but has a bunch of flaws, gimmicks. It isn't at it's final form, it has potential to become better depending how they do things, but looking back at their old demo / versions, they've improved the game on each update (for the most part) so I'd trust that they can improve the game even more.

Smash 4 isn't out just yet, but it's new and will definitely attract new players, I know there's mixed feelings about this, especially with the Melee vets, or others including myself, but hey at least Falcon is back? (sorta)

www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/567809053?t=1h32m45s

Although I have no interest competing in Brawl, I'd say at least let it run for those who are interested.

S.D

Smash Master
I don't think anyone, even melee vets, are at all worried about smash 4.

It will become a tournament standard game, that much is inevitable, though I doubt it will have much impact on melee's dominance as the main title.

It will bring in new people, which is always good.

We'll see how the game develops, it will last at least a year or two regardless of merit.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Played smash 4 with a friend. It really just makes me wanna play more melee. Time to start dreaming about a melee influenced smash 5

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah I'd have to play many hours of Smash 4 to come to a conclusion. Because it's fresh and the movement is pretty fun (learn to foxtrot properly pls scrubs) I will definitely have a lot of fun with the game for a long time, but how long could I play taxing high level matches against good opponents and still feel invigorated? Apart from playing Earl, even when Brawl was my main game I would get bored after 5 hours at a meet, whereas I play Melee til dawn.

I can tell you right now Smash 4 will not play like Brawl, unless someone discovers some flawed SDI or Megaman/Villager turn out to dominate the metagame, it will hardly be comparable. It's definitely more spectator friendly and more people will be able to appreciate it properly, I believe. But whether it can stand up as a fun competitive game for a long time is anyone's guess. I was saying to someone the other day that if Melee came out and you only had Pokemon Stadium and could play as Fox/Falco against no opponent, it'd be my Game of the Year because of how fun spamming movement and shine is.
I don't expect to feel compelled to room grind Smash 4 that hard, even though I intend to do well in tournaments for it.

I hope you guys who are more Melee-inclined enter tournaments for the game for at least a year anyway, you're all very important and I think it's important to give the game a good start and enhance the level of play of the game at the start of its life.

On another note, when Smash 4 comes out, maybe we should stop doing doubles for a while to ease into running 3 Singles events of 50+ entrants, one of which requires a different kind of TV?

Last edited:

Juci

Smash Apprentice
I'm keen to see how long pm doubles will run compared to melee doubles. There's gonna be a bunch of people on their 3ds's lol.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Splice we money matching this weekend bro, I plan on taking your lunch money ;)

Splice

Smash Hero
Splice we money matching this weekend bro, I plan on taking your lunch money ;)
I'm probably not going to be able to make this weekend but I'll money match you whenever :falcomelee:
I don't know why you ******* out of it at Dreadtechs tournament hey :p

Jamwa

Smash Champion
It's mainly due to people not knowing how to ban/pick stages (as in, they take 3 years to choose a stage).
certain matchups will always be slow regardless of stocks, and having separate stock counts for singles/dubs is :/
dont think 3 stocks is going to improve the time situation significantly but we can trial it i guess. they tried it in Texas and said p:m still takes ages so they went back to 4 stocks.
I think we should have a discussion about the new stagelist after 3.5 comes out and someone who can photoshop or w/e can release a stage selection screen that everyone has to download or w/e because i think that would have a bigger impact than 1 stock.
at 3.02 i think we should have something like this:

except instead of Norfair we should have Skyworld. with 2 stage bans it is much more obvious to players what to do
what do people think

Splice

Smash Hero
People do take longer to get in and play in PM than in Melee it's true. Don't have different stocks for doubles/singles
I think PM would be fine with 3 stock but people want to get as much stock as they can for the game they play so fair enough.

How many stocks do we need on Smash 4?
The default in "For Glory" is 2 but this can end all too fast and could over-emphasise gimps.
I'm just watchin' streams, 3 looks pretty good, I expect people to get better at using strong offstage gimping with time.
4 already looks to be too much or at least unnecessary for Smash 4, imo, because the actual kill %'s are higher in this game. (Melee 100% = Smash4 150% almost)

Last edited:

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
I'm not gonna be able to get home and grab my PC before the tournament, so no recording setup from me this time. I can bring a laptop for TIO though if it's wanted. (it's too **** to record anything ><)
If anyone else has recording setups though that would be amazing, I can still bring my Mic.

Top Bottom