• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Speculation Chart [WE UPDATE NOW]

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
6 characters in one series is unprecedented. When you factor in 5 Mario characters, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and possibly a third DK rep, we suddenly have 11 Mario universe characters. That is just short of a third of Brawl's roster. 5 Mario characters is more than enough. I think (read: hope) Sakurai acknowledges that more than 5 Mario characters is completely unnecessary and can only bloat Mario's presence more than it needs.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Pikcahu.

That seems a precedent for 6 characters to me.

And you forget, this isn't Brawl, this is Smash 4. DK has found more of it's own standing in gaming (again) with DKCR, rather than relying on the Mario Umbrella, and that every other franchise could well get a boost to numbers. Really only the big ape himself himself can be thought of as a Mario Universe character now... and while sure Diddy's interacted with Mario in spin-offs no-one's saying Slime and Pac-Man are part of the Mario Universe.

I also remind you: Best selling video game franchise of all time!! And of course Nintendo's flagship series.

Mario was under-represented in brawl because Sakurai was so scared to bloat it's presence, it's about time it gets a few newcomers.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I think the only character that have MORE chances is Paper Mario... I think...
Since he could represent his own series...
We already have 4 games for him!

Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Super Paper Mario
Paper Mario Sticker Star

I hope that Nintendo releases a Paper Mario for Wii U...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Really I think Toad supporters are in denial. It would be in their best interest to acknowledge the very real possibility that he is done.

The rest, I really just don't see happening. Who cares what series has the most characters?

D

Deleted member

More of the "more than one Toad" and "not disconfirmed until Sakurai says so" bull****?
God damn it.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I seriously thought it would have been Waluigi or Dr. Mario.

Wait a minute:
I think the only character that have MORE chances is Paper Mario... I think...
Since he could represent his own series...
We already have 4 games for him!

Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Super Paper Mario
Paper Mario Sticker Star

I hope that Nintendo releases a Paper Mario for Wii U...
Waluigi could be put in the Wario series.
Dr. Mario could be his own series.

Waluigi or Dr. Mario are probably a lot more likely than Paper Mario, I'm thinking.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I seriously thought it would have been Waluigi or Dr. Mario.
Wait a minute:
Waluigi could be put in the Wario series.
Dr. Mario could be his own series.

Waluigi or Dr. Mario are probably a lot more likely than Paper Mario, I'm thinking.
I hope.
I was already disappointed enough with Peac-- I mean, Rosalina, but we'll see what will happen next.

D

Deleted member

How about, give me a reason why that sort of discussion is here and not in the general discussion thread?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Putting Waluigi in the Wario series would be like putting Birdo in with Yoshi. Birdo is a Mario character.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

D

Deleted member

No more discussing about Waluigi, it's time for a real update.
Starfy is now disconfirmed.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
No more discussing about Waluigi, it's time for a real update.
Starfy is now disconfirmed.
yes well that will be coming before the end of the year hopefully.

I've been working on this still, since classes are over and whatnot. So yeah expect that in the near future.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Poor Starfy....

First deconfirmed character I feel bummed about.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shame. Hopefully he got buffed as a AT at least.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm personally hoping there are underwater stages, with him just as weak (well, maybe slightly buffed, seriously why doesn't he have his running animation? or any wing flapping?) on land, but him going god mode when submerged.

Kon

Smash Journeyman

This one is pretty good. A good selection of possible contenders for the DK series spots. However as Cranky and Funky are confirmed for DK:TF, I guess you can kick Kiddy out. Being only in one DKC game and having no appearance in the latest DKC game makes Kiddy pretty unlikely, nearly impossible for SSB4. King K.Rool of course can stay in the list because of his relevance to the series as the main villain in many DK games. (except DKCR and DKC:TF)
Just my two points on the DK contenders :)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

This one is pretty good. A good selection of possible contenders for the DK series spots. However as Cranky and Funky are confirmed for DK:TF, I guess you can kick Kiddy out. Being only in one DKC game and having no appearance in the latest DKC game makes Kiddy pretty unlikely, nearly impossible for SSB4. King K.Rool of course can stay in the list because of his relevance to the series as the main villain in many DK games. (except DKCR and DKC:TF)
I still feel that Kiddy is sorta justifiable because of the possibility that Sakurai's original intentions of having Diddy + Dixie could move into Dixie + Kiddy.
Otherwise the little guy has literally no chance. So he's really only up there because of Dixie Kong's options of inclusion.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I still feel that Kiddy is sorta justifiable because of the possibility that Sakurai's original intentions of having Diddy + Dixie could move into Dixie + Kiddy.
Otherwise the little guy has literally no chance. So he's really only up there because of Dixie Kong's options of inclusion.
However Dixie was at least in two games. (DKC2+3)
I even don't know if Kiddy was present in any spinoff. If not, even the DK64 crew would have better chances because of their spinoff appearances :)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
However Dixie was at least in two games. (DKC2+3)
I even don't know if Kiddy was present in any spinoff. If not, even the DK64 crew would have better chances because of their spinoff appearances :)
I'm not saying Dixie can't make it in alone, I'm saying that I think Kiddy still has a shot making it in as Dixie's partner in combat. Which is why I thought we let him stay on the Speculation chart in the first place.

D

Deleted member

Welp, now the Zelda chart needs to be updated.
Zelda confirmed, Phantom Zelda disconfirmed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Welp, now the Zelda chart needs to be updated.
Zelda confirmed, Phantom Zelda disconfirmed.

Hmmm... You don't think this could be a sneaky preview of Toon Zelda and her Alt form?

D

Deleted member

"The characters announced on the website are the fighters!"

Nope. If Phantom Zelda was playable, we'd have a reveal before we see her.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Yes well, I can say that I have continued progress on the speculation lists now that the major holidays are over. My goal still will be to get the needed lists done by the end of the year, so stay tuned for that.

Also despite not being completely relevant to the topic, I must say that I really like the new Smashboards!

EDIT: Okay, so here is something completely relevant to the topic. Golden said that Phantom Zelda has been disconfirmed. But should it be argued further to suggest that Toon Zelda has been completely disconfirmed?
I'm sensing a lot of "No"s coming, but I want to see what you guys think and have a conversation going...

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So I'm double posting because I'm updating the topic, yay!

Updates to previous charts...
Super Mario Brothers

Changes since last version:
• Rosalina and Luma have been confirmed to be playable characters.
"The Toad" remains deconfirmed, whilst Blue Toad is still up in there air.
Several artwork upgrades.

The Legend of Zelda

Zelda has been confirmed to be a playable character.
Phantom Zelda and Skull Kid have been deconfirmed, but they weren't on the chart in the first place so I added nothing for them. Go Laziness!

Kirby's Dreamland

Upgraded to new Chart style.
Due to character vote: Knuckle Joe, Gooey, Prince Fluff, Adeleine, Magolor, Galacta Knight, Daroach, Lololo & Lalala, Marx, and Nightmare have been removed from the chart.

Star Fox

Due to character vote: Peppy, Leon, Panthey, Andrew, and Katt have been removed from the chart.

Pokémon (AKA the reason why it took so long for an update)

Due to character vote: New Pokémon Trainer, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Gardevoir, Darkrai, Dragonite, and Scizor have been removed from the chart.
Separated the Pokémon Trainer and his Pokémon into individual slots.
Mega Mewtwo Y has been named accordingly.
• Unlike other potential duos, Plusle and Minun would only appear together if at all. Making them being together in the same slot much more important than with the Pokémon Trainer. As it is slightly possible that Charizard could be the only returning Pokémon.

F-Zero

Due to character vote: Pico, Dr. Stewart, Jody Summers, Blood Falcon, Deathborn, Phoenix, and Rick Wheeler have been removed from the chart.

MOTHER / Earthbound

Due to character vote: Jeff, Poo, Paula, Kumatora, and Duster have been removed from the chart.

---

And as of that, I have completed the original 10 franchises's charts. I will continue working tomorrow though, so expect the others some time soon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pokémon (AKA the reason why it took so long for an update)

Due to character vote: New Pokémon Trainer, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Gardevoir, Darkrai, Dragonite, and Scizor have been removed from the chart.
Separated the Pokémon Trainer and his Pokémon into individual slots.
Mega Mewtwo Y has been named accordingly.
• Unlike other potential duos, Plusle and Minun would only appear together if at all. Making them being together in the same slot much more important than with the Pokémon Trainer. As it is slightly possible that Charizard could be the only returning Pokémon.
Something seems a bit off.
I thought Victini was discussed for removal while Blaziken was supposed to be added in its place? (As well as the Mega Blaze, the Mewtwo X, and the Charizard Megas)

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

Yeah, suddenly I wouldn't be so surprised if Cranky Kong was announced

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Something seems a bit off.
I thought Victini was discussed for removal while Blaziken was supposed to be added in its place? (As well as the Mega Blaze, the Mewtwo X, and the Charizard Megas)
uh-

oh...

I guess I'll do that too then

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So you found evidence of characters based off of real people not being possible in the game?
Nintendo doesn't own the floating head?
What is it?
:confused:

After reading Sakurai's statement regarding characters Nintendo doesn't actually own (using James Bond, Popeye, and even Nakayama Miho, a real person) being too much of a hassle with licensing costs, to expect Kawashima (even after I explained why he isn't fit to fight) is pure lunacy at this point. Let it go; he's not happening.
So it's just simply the thought of licensing costs that will prevent from Sakurai from even suggesting Kawashima.
I guess you could be onto something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It also helps that while Brain Age did get some representation within Brawl, no traces of Kawashima were shown, alluding to the licensing costs to use his likeness.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Captain Falcon is confirmed via a Sakurai interview.
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=219667
Ben, "The characters announced on the website are the fighters!". He said something similar regarding Ice Climber-like characters awhile ago, but we still haven't considered them confirmed.
It's not like Falcon wasn't going to return anyways, but character don't get added to the list until they receive a character page on the main website.

Top Bottom