• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Toei would never approve of so much Americanism.
MAYBE if it was a comedy series(like Carranger).
Although a cowboy series would be a great idea if Saban ever got the money to actually make an original (not sentai-based) Power Ranger series. Like that French Sentai except a whole lot more professional.
That's exactly what I had in mind

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The only way reviews can be faulty is if they mess up objective facts/details/information; otherwise they can't be faulty because they are subjective views.

Reviews are a tool for measuring probabilities. If 80% of people like a given product, chances are higher that I too will find it worthwhile, even though I could easily end up in the 20% that don't like it.

Reviews aren't supposed to tell you how you might feel about an end product; they are simply there to tell you if the end product is worth trying/spending money on/investing your time in/etc. They're like commercials; you might like what you see in a Big Mac commercial, but you can only really know how you feel about it if you try one. But it nonetheless remains that commercials can be a useful tool in helping you decide whether you want to try a Big Mac or not.

For books, I seek to examine the actual premise/storyline, the author, and the critical and popular consensus (i.e. reviews), and weigh them against my tastes and experiences. These tools are what I use to decide what books I'd like to read, as it grants me a greater probability of finding books that I will like, as opposed to not.

Sounds like you have tended to trust reviews fully in the past before getting into something, and ended up being disappointed when the reviews did not match up with your own views on the end product -- thereby meaning that you have come to see reviews as an unreliable tool when it comes to informing you about what you should get into. Even so, if you have a system or approach that works for you, by all means pursue it (whether that course has reviews in it or not). 8D
I already said how I buy books.

I'm the kind of person to just walk into a book store and look at books randomly and read a couple of random chapters and if I like what I saw then I'll get it. It's more fun that way imo. But I'll take a look into them.
It's much more exciting and fun for me. And help leads to more niche and less known books, like the Night Angel trilogy which is one of the best book series I ever read. Although the funny thing is, I got the first 2 books for free. xD

The RV park I live in has this thing where people can drop off their old books and pick-up a new one absolutely free. And it was by pure chance I cam upon the first book of the trilogy, I did the same tactic I did for book stores. Liked what I saw. Read it all the way. Went back to see if the sequels were there, only the 2nd one was. Had to buy the 3rd book. But boy was it great.

Another book series I found at a actual book store were The Innocent Mage and The Awakened Mage using the same premise. Was not disappointed at all. I prefer to take a risk when it comes to books. xD

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
That's exactly what I had in mind
Oh yeah, I now see you said Power Rangers series. For some reason I read it as Sentai. Bleh.
But yeah I'd be hella down with that. I've been wanting an original Power Rangers series since forever.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I already said how I buy books.

It's much more exciting and fun for me. And help leads to more niche and less known books, like the Night Angel trilogy which is one of the best book series I ever read. Although the funny thing is, I got the first 2 books for free. xD

The RV park I live in has this thing where people can drop off their old books and pick-up a new one absolutely free. And it was by pure chance I cam upon the first book of the trilogy, I did the same tactic I did for book stores. Liked what I saw. Read it all the way. Went back to see if the sequels were there, only the 2nd one was. Had to buy the 3rd book. But boy was it great.

Another book series I found at a actual book store were The Innocent Mage and The Awakened Mage using the same premise. Was not disappointed at all. I prefer to take a risk when it comes to books. xD
Well, I'm more into probable satisfaction than I am in excitement and taking chances. A difference in temperaments, it seems. ;)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ooh, the "putties" should totally be indians

With like, tomahawks and crap

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The Miiverse Daily Pic thread makes me feel like a like wh*re.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I saw I had 44 alerts. 40 of them were people liking my posts in that thread.
Well think of it like this. At least you are funny.

Also, after seeing that outline comparison, I think I would use them on Smash 3DS. The characters look better that way.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Seeing today's PotD, I'm most likely playing with outlines on. The characters are blending in the background when the outlines are off.

O'kaz A1

Smash Journeyman
So far, it just getting more interesting with SSB4.

For example: After a weekbreak, at the beginning of 2014 we got some new info about trophy's, next begin February, all of the sudden, we got Little Mac and finally here we are with still upcoming new info.

Although we got in a total of a lot of news, we still don't know most of SSB4.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

For example: After a weekbreak, at the beginning of 2014 we got some new info about trophy's, next begin February, all of the sudden, we got Little Mac and finally here we are with still upcoming new info.

Yeah, That's a good way of looking at it. Though I'm sure many people are really looking forward to the next character. It's been about a month since we've seen Diddy Kong. So who knows, maybe we can sneak in one character for March. Or at the very least, one or two more pieces of big information. I do want to know a little more about that single player mode we've seen in the E3 trailer and in that one other picture. I'm still wondering if it will also be on the Wii-U version of Smash 4. I would like to think it is, I see no reason as to why it wouldn't be. Some other Single Player content would be cool to see too.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Well, I just had a very strange dream. Apparently, I entered an academy in order to learn some karate, and if I trained good enough, I could become a power ranger. lol There were also ninjas from Naruto there. Yeah...weird.

Anyway, what's up?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I remember it being like this for Brawl too. We went really long periods of time without any new info and then the Dojo came about and most of us hardly knew what to do with ourselves because so much information was coming out. It's kind of hard to believe that the Dojo had new information almost every weekday for more than a year before Sakurai covered the entire game. It makes me wonder if the daily pics will continue even after the games are released to cover all the unlockable stuff.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I remember it being like this for Brawl too. We went really long periods of time without any new info and then the Dojo came about and most of us hardly knew what to do with ourselves because so much information was coming out. It's kind of hard to believe that the Dojo had new information almost every weekday for more than a year before Sakurai covered the entire game. It makes me wonder if the daily pics will continue even after the games are released to cover all the unlockable stuff.
I highly doubt it. The pics aren't archived in any way on the site, they basically disappear every time a new one gets released. It's just there because Sakurai knew that after the Dojo he couldn't simply don't make something like that again, but at the same time he knew that the Dojo was a mistake. We knew too much about the game when it was released. The hype building was too strong and so everyone was disappointed.
With the pics, I think he's trying to keep a lot secret so that the surprise will make the game get received better than Brawl. The problem is the hype building, which is frustrating to say the least. From the 19th of December to the 21st of February (barely two months) we got six characters, two of which completely new. Now it's been 35ish days without ANY character at all. It doesn't make sense, and it's bound to frustrate some people. The announcements should be diluted better. So, really, next time I hope they just release an update once a month and that's it. Daily pics/news is too much.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, really, next time I hope they just release an update once a month and that's it. Daily pics/news is too much.
I kind of agree with this. Even though discussing and waiting on daily pics have become a big part of Smash culture, I think it's also a reason why other game fanbases are weirded out by us. It encourages obsessive (if not neurotic) behavior and if there are any threads here that are a testament to that its the Daily Pics thread and the Rumors thread. I admit, it's kind of addicting and the fact that I find myself waking up randomly in the middle of night to check the update is just further testament of this.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'd rather us receive no updates at all while the game is in development.
It's one thing to know Little Mac will join the roster before the game comes out,
and it is another to genuinely not know anything and try and make out the "challenger approaching silhouettes" of that mystery character.

As much as I like these updates, I feel spoiled. I mean we know a lot more about Sm4sh than we do about Mario Kart 8, and Mario Kart 8's release is just right around the corner while smash is still floating in limbo.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
It's one thing to know Little Mac will join the roster before the game comes out,
and it is another to genuinely not know anything and try and make out the "challenger approaching silhouettes" of that mystery character.

As much as I like these updates, I feel spoiled. I mean we know a lot more about Sm4sh than we do about Mario Kart 8, and Mario Kart 8's release is just right around the corner while smash is still floating in limbo.
Eh, we will probably see a good amount of silhouettes that we have to try to make out when the game's out. I believe the only character that'll probably be secret that we've seen so far is Rosalina and Megaman.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Eh, we will probably see a good amount of silhouettes that we have to try to make out when the game's out.
Maybe... In Brawl, all newcomers were kinda just thrown out there. There was no mystery to who you were going to see on the roster, especially if you played SSE. You got to see this CGI cutscene of said character in action, and then played 1 or 2 levels with that character. Afterwards you would received that challenger approaching silhouette of that character you just saw/played with, and at that point you're like "Gee, I wonder who this could be. :rolleyes:" But we'll see, now that there is no such mode like SSE in Sm4sh.
I believe the only character that'll probably be secret that we've seen so far is Rosalina and Megaman.
"That we've seen so far..."
That's the issue I'm talking about, we already know these characters are appearing in the game. If we were completely left in the dark about these newcomers, it would be more exciting to see that challenger approaching silhouette screen. Because now in the back of all of our minds we are expecting to see these characters, as if we were left in the dark, we wouldn't know what to expect.

I guess it's just a minor thing overall, but it made completing the roster fun for me in Melee.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Melee had a site too but it was completely in Japanese so I didn't check it. The characters in Melee were a complete surprise (although I suppose that's also why it was disappointing when most of newcomers were clones) and it really added to the game's experience when I had no idea who the characters were ahead of time. I feel like Sakurai's going to try to go for that this time. As Vintage Creep said, it doesn't seem likely that unlockable content will be discussed much on the official site (at least not until months after release) because he seems to highly value "surprises." Granted, as he said, that can only go so far with the way the internet works but the Dojo for Brawl spoiled literally everything by the time the game released in Europe.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Melee had a site too but it was completely in Japanese so I didn't check it. The characters in Melee were a complete surprise (although I suppose that's also why it was disappointing when most of newcomers were clones) and it really added to the game's experience when I had no idea who the characters were ahead of time. I feel like Sakurai's going to try to go for that this time. As Vintage Creep said, it doesn't seem likely that unlockable content will be discussed much on the official site (at least not until months after release) because he seems to highly value "surprises." Granted, as he said, that can only go so far with the way the internet works but the Dojo for Brawl spoiled literally everything by the time the game released in Europe.
I was in the dark for Melee as well. I didn't even know the game was in development. It just showed up under my Christmas tree. And while I share your disappointment on the clone front, it was still exciting to see them appear.

What can bigger than newcomer reveals? Unlockable or not, a new character should be a big enough of a surprise. Idk...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hopefully, this time the game has a worldwide release, or at least a few days difference between each regional release. It happened with Sakurai's previous project, Kid Icarus: Uprising, which had a lot of dialogue and the Idols collectibles (which were very much like Smash's Trophies), meaning a lot of text to translate. And there's Pokémon X/Y that got a worldwide release too.

I really hope Smash 4 gets the same treatment.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I was in the dark for Melee as well. I didn't even know the game was in development. It just showed up under my Christmas tree. And while I share your disappointment on the clone front, it was still exciting to see them appear.

What can bigger than newcomer reveals? Unlockable or not, a new character should be a big enough of a surprise. Idk...
Well, if it's any consolation, the fact that Sakurai's going to be quieter this time around means that there won't be everything on the site by the time the game comes out; it'll probably have less than Brawl did on release.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
AS far as newcomers being revealed that's an entirely separate issue from any sort of daily updates(hell they don't even reveal newcomers in updates, they reveal them in directs).
While I personally would rather every single newcomer be unlockable and I need exactly zero convincing to buy a new Smash bros game, the fact is that it would be insane from a publicity standpoint to not show at least some new characters before the game is released. I seriously can't think of any fighting games that left all of their new characters unlockable. Melee had several new characters shown off in the E3 trailer(Ice climbers, Zelda/Shiek, Peach, Bowser), but still had several unlockable newcomers(though only 3 of them weren't clones). So it was about half-and halfish, which is what I'd like to see from this game. I'd say the five characters we have revealed right now is just right. Of course I'm sure we'll get more by the time the game is out unfortunately, but wanting everyone or most to be a secret until the game is out is a bit unreasonable.

But getting back to my main point all rambling aside, newcomers revealed in trailers is a whole different deal from the daily updates, and isn't at all something exclusive to Smashbros.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Hopefully, this time the game has a worldwide release, or at least a few days difference between each regional release. It happened with Sakurai's previous project, Kid Icarus: Uprising, which had a lot of dialogue and the Idols collectibles (which were very much like Smash's Trophies), meaning a lot of text to translate. And there's Pokémon X/Y that got a worldwide release too.

I really hope Smash 4 gets the same treatment.
Knowing how big this is.
I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Anyone here think we're gonna have any stages carrying over from Brawl?
Given how Melee had SSB64 stages and Brawl had Melee stages, it's a very likely possibility. Of course, I think it would be a better idea to have stages from all previous Smash games instead of just Brawl.

Speaking of returning stages, Melee had 26 new stages plus 3 past stages for a total of 29 stages and Brawl had 31 new stages plus 10 Melee stages for a total of 41 stages. That means 10% of Melee's stages were returning, while around 25% of Brawl's stages were returning.

I'm curious as to how many stages will be featured this time, but I think around 50 stages isn't a stretch. If there are 50 stages, I think 15 of them will be returning stages. Another possibility to consider is that returning stages may also vary between versions, so maybe the 3DS version gets New Pork City as the returning EarthBound series stage, while the Wii U version gets Fourside.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Given how Melee had SSB64 stages and Brawl had Melee stages, it's a very likely possibility. Of course, I think it would be a better idea to have stages from all previous Smash games instead of just Brawl.

Speaking of returning stages, Melee had 26 new stages plus 3 past stages for a total of 29 stages and Brawl had 31 new stages plus 10 Melee stages for a total of 41 stages. That means 10% of Melee's stages were returning, while around 25% of Brawl's stages were returning.

I'm curious as to how many stages will be featured this time, but I think around 50 stages isn't a stretch. If there are 50 stages, I think 15 of them will be returning stages. Another possibility to consider is that returning stages may also vary between versions, so maybe the 3DS version gets New Pork City as the returning EarthBound series stage, while the Wii U version gets Fourside.
That brings up more questions

1. Will stages carrying over differ between consoles?
2. Will 3rd Party Stages carry over?
3. Will the My Music be the same, no more no less?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised to see some of the Brawl stages come back. For the very same reasons that Frostwraith just stated. But I think this is the first time I heard anyone mention the 3DS version getting older stages. Which would be cool too. Now that I think of it, just how many stages are bound to show up in both versions of Smash 4? We could end up having a lot of older stages this time around. Since the developers would have to make twice as many new stages or so, right?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I enjoy the tidbits and information we do get and when it comes with newcomers in particularly seem like good things to reveal for hype reveal, to be honest I don't get anymore out of them being revealed then to unlcok them, it's fairly meaningless how they are revealed as long as they are in some way. Given how fanservish the smash games it's not surpsing that such reveals would be benficical to the game itself.

The daily pics, eh... I guess it's because unlike Brawl I no longer overly obesses over the daily updates like I did when I was younger so the idea that I would stay up every night for the sake of them is very weird to me now. These days when I get up in the morning I take a look at the update on my Wii U while getting ready for work. No late nights, no obessessing on whether the pictures are good or bad, it's just a simple routine that I don't heavily think about at this point anymore then I think about getting dressed or brushing my teeth.

It's understanding that this type of daily announcement Sakuari uses may have a negative impact on people but at the same time it seems like some of this negative impact is a result of these updates is more community driven and is not entirely the dev team's method itself. I'm not intending to point fingers at people because after all I was once doing something similar but simply no longer do.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm at Power Rangers RPM, and so far at least I like it

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Looking it up, I guess it has a racing theme to it.
Well, it's not the weirdest I've seen...
It's a post apocalyptic future where machines have taken over and the last remaining humans alive are stuck in 1 stronghold

As opposed to SPD which is a Utopian future

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
RPM is also in a different continuity than the other series

There is some kind of split timeline thing going on.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
RPM is also in a different continuity than the other series

There is some kind of split timeline thing going on.
Different dimensions now. That's confirmed by Samurai and Super Megaforce, both having them show up. That was the original plan before Saban took it back and retcon'd that idea.

Only MMPR: The Movie is a different continuity, and that's it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom