• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Rolling Tier List

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

The Youtube channel Smash Highlights that Smashboards has previously discussed with their Recovery Tier List video has released a unique video in their Smash Science series about the rolling. For those tired of players rolling on For Glory, or tired of players complaining about rolling in Smash 4 this video is something worth studying.

This covers characters backwards and forward roll distances, their roll duration, and roll end lag to determine who has the best rolls in Smash 4 and to get some solid data on rolls in general. A spreadsheet showing all of the data collected can be found here.

SmashCapps is ready to start punishing some rolls! Roll over to Twitter and give him a follow!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I absolutely hate villagers roll. It goes nowhere, the invincibility doesnt cover most of the animation, its super slow, and ..... and....... thats it.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm suspicious that this is a thing, I mean some characters definitely have worse rolls than others but the data collection seems to be entirely based on visual stuff, not actual testing.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
The explanation of "end lag" is not clear in my opinion. Is it the immortality ending? Cause Fox is pretty fast out of his roll, and Bowser isn't....

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
It seems easier to learn from experience with this than to study it.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Just from playing the game, without making spreadsheets, I would have expected Little Mac to be best over all and in the top 5 or 3 for each property.

EDIT: Ahh I see the link to the actual spreadsheet now, Apparently Little Mac did score in the top 5 for speed and distance but has really bad end lag?
Another thing to consider is that none of the attributes are weighted. Would you consider all 3 attributes to be of equal importance?

Last edited:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Their method for testing (and judging, for that matter) is suspiciously unscientific.

I'm suspicious that this is a thing, I mean some characters definitely have worse rolls than others but the data collection seems to be entirely based on visual stuff, not actual testing.
Excuse you but I think we all know who the REAL smash science authority is

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
The totals are a bit arbitrary with so many tied scores being lumped into one number and everything added. Irrespective, a fun video. What about spot and air dodges? There are definite variations there as well.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I like how the top rollers are Shiek, Fox, Diddy, and Sonic. Hmm, I wonder what other tier list they have in common on being top?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Excuse you but I think we all know who the REAL smash science authority is
Hatsune Miku? I didn't know you were on Smashboards.

Why are you speaking English and why isn't it in a signing voice like always?

Last edited:

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
I love the editing! Haha doing it to the music made it more entertaining than it could have been!

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I didn't come out of this feeling very confident with what I was presented. In fact I think Im suddenly confused by this "GSP" ranking.
Plus the vulnerability frames per roll weren't detailed.

Last edited:

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Don't different rolls have different start up if so then the end lag test is very faulty.

Also :rosalina::4palutena::4greninja: have a hidden advantage because they're invisible for the majority of their roll. This makes it slightly more difficult to tell what they're doing.

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
*sigh* No surprise I suppose, another thing Zelda can be bad at...
Zelda is actually pretty decent in this game and deadly in the hands of a good player. Have you seen False play as Zelda? He's really good. Zelda is my main in this game, so I'm trying to learn from people like him.

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
Don't different rolls have different start up if so then the end lag test is very faulty.

Also :rosalina::4palutena::4greninja: have a hidden advantage because they're invisible for the majority of their roll. This makes it slightly more difficult to tell what they're doing.
Very good point. While playing as :4palutena: or :rosalina:, I try to mix in spot dodges with my rolls, and it usually trips the opponent up.

Top Bottom